Sibling rivalry (an OU Warstory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody! It's time for another warstory! Yea I know there are many warstories right now, but this match is pretty insane that I just had to post it now! Anyways, enough rambling! Here is the warstory!

Rules:
  • Ladder Match
  • Sleep Clause
  • Freeze Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Evasion Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Strict Damage Clause

Who could Pokemon X & Y be? Hint: They are both OU Pokemon.

My comments will be in purple, while my opponent's comments will be in green.

So, I happen to catch my little brother Adrian on Shoddy at the same time, so we decided to keep laddering until we meet each other in battle. What happened in the battle between sister and brother?

I am battling against my big sister using her own team, with a bit of modifications tailored to my liking. Fortunately, she doesn't know that and hopefully, won't realize it until it's too late when Y starts sweeping!

Angel Diva sent out Jirachi.
t3h_Adri4n sent out Heatran.

I love leading with standard Wish Jirachi. Almost everybody expect it to be a scarfed with Iron Head thus they never taunt it. Result? Stealth Rock easily gets set up. Unfortunately, in this case, Heatran is an unfavorable matchup as a lead for me to face. Whether he attacks or not, I'll bring out a fire resist.

The lead is in my favor. Knowing my sister's playstyle, I know she doesn't like to gamble with speed-ties or setting up in unfavorable situations. Hence I know she definitely won't stay in to Trick or Stealth Rock fearing a STAB Fire attack to the face straight up. Therefore, I Stealth Rock as she switches.

Angel Diva switched in Swampert.
Heatran used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around Angel Diva's team.

Stealth Rock eh? It's to be expected, but no worries, I can spin them away later on. My Swampert is equipped with a Choice Band, so whoever that comes in will expect a huge slap to the face with a CB-boosted STAB Waterfall.

Swampert will cause problems for Y and prevent Y from sweeping, so it's a good thing my Heatran here has HP Grass. I should at least 2HKO it, while I have a Shuca to soften the blow from EQ. Therefore, I stay in to kill it.

Heatran used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Swampert lost 95% of its health.
Swampert used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 100% of its health.
t3h_Adri4n's Heatran fainted.

Angel 6 Adrian 5
t3h_Adri4n sent out Gyarados.
Gyarados' Intimidate cut Swampert's attack.

Or he could stay in and hit me with Hidden Power Grass. Thankfully, Swampert survives by the skin of his teeth and draws first blood with Waterfall. Gyarados is not good news for me. I go to Roserade to bluff with Sleep Powder or Leaf Storm (this is a spiker, so I run neither move). I hope Gyarados doesn't stay to taunt me.

Or course, Swampert could use his OTHER stab move which is ALSO super-effective against Heatran. After doing calculations, I conclude that Swampert has a Choice Band or is at least Adamant, since Heatran should also survive Waterfall if was from the standard bulky water. Anyway, I decide to go with Gyarados to do some shuffling on my sister's team. With Stealth Rock up, Swampert should die at 5% if he comes in again.

Angel Diva switched in Roserade.
Pointed stones dug into Roserade. (-12%)
Gyarados used Roar.
Starmie was dragged out from Angel Diva's team.
Pointed stones dug into Starmie. (-12%)

I go to Rosie, only to be forced out into Starmie. Still, this is in my favor as I run Thunderbolt. This is also a great time to spin, especially with Heatran down I can then switch at will.

Hmmm...weird choice bringing Roserade in on Gyarados. Unfortunately, Roar brings out Starmie, and I'm not staying around to let Gyarados get zapped from the skies. I don't have Blissey for nothing, right? So, in she goes!

t3h_Adri4n switched in Blissey.
Starmie used Rapid Spin.
t3h_Adri4n's Stealth Rock was blown away!
Blissey lost 0% of her health (healed back with leftovers).
Starmie lost 10% of its health.

Nice! No more SR, so I can now switch whenever I want with no repercussions. I could even bring back Swampert for some last-minute damage. Anyway, Blissey is out. Blisseys almost always use a status move during their first turn in play, so I leave Starmie in to see whether she uses Toxic or Thunder Wave.

On hindsight, I should have switched to Spiritomb instead of Blissey. Now I have no more Stealth Rock and Y might have a harder time sweeping. Anywayz, I don't think Starmie would stay in as it won't hurt Blissey, so I decide to use Toxic on one of my sister's team members.

Starmie used Hydro Pump.
Starmie's attack missed!
Blissey used Toxic.
Blissey's attack missed!

Blissey misses with Toxic. I have two choices here. Roserade for a free spiking turn or Jirachi to set up SR. My brother has a Gyarados, which is a huge threat for X. Therfore, I decide with the latter in order to limit Gyarados' switches.

A rather useless turn here. She now knows I have Toxic and will probably switch to Jirachi or Roserade. I decide to go to Kingdra in order to swing the momentum back in my favor.

Angel Diva switched in Jirachi.
t3h_Adri4n switched in Kingdra.

My bro predicted the switch and went to Kingdra. This means I can't SR as I don't want Kingdra to set up a sub-dance in my face. I'll paralyze it to make its potential dragon dances useless.

Kingdra is out. Now it's time for someone to eat a powerful STAB Specs attack.

Jirachi used Thunder Wave.
Kingdra is paralyzed. It may not attack.
Kingdra used Hydro Pump.
Jirachi lost 69% of its health.
Jirachi's leftovers restored 6% of its health.

After seeing Kingdra spray an extremely powerful Hydro Pump on Jirachi, I am pretty sure it's wearing Specs. Wait a minute...my brother is using lead Heatran with SR, Gyarados, Blissey, and Specs-Dra. Could it be? Is he using one of my teams? This means I must preserve X for last as I know for a fact that the team he uses(if I assume correctly) is very weak to X. But for now, I go to my Calm Rosie to eat the Hydro Pump.

At this point my sister begins to get suspicious and asks me whether I'm using her team. I didn't answer her, and decide to let my STAB Hydro Pump do the answering.

Kingdra is paralyzed. It can't move.
Roserade's leftovers restored 6% of its health.

Roserade gets in without a scratch due to my luck with paralysis. Now, it's time to spike the fields!

Roserade is out. Luckily I have a rest-talking Gyarados, so I go to Gyara to absorb Sleep Powder.

t3h_Adri4n switched in Gyarados.
Gyarados' Intimidate cut Roserade's attack.
Roserade used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around t3h_Adri4n's side of the field.
Roserade's leftovers restoerd 6% of its health.

He switches to his rest-talking Gyarados, to absorb the Sleep Powder as expected. Too bad I had Spikes instead, and get to lay one more layer of spikes.

Crap! Roserade is of the spiking kind. This will number Kingdra's days and will cause problems for Blissey. I've got to force Roserade out so that she cannot stack anymore spikes.

Roserade used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around t3h_Adri4n's side of the field.
Gyarados used Roar.
Rotom-H was dragged out from Angel Diva's team.

I don't get to lay a 3rd layer of spikes, but no matter. If Adrian is playing that particular team, I know for a fact that it has no spinner. Anyway, Gyarados' roar forces me to reveal my spin-blocker. I could go for the kill with bolt, but I'd rather have a predicted Blissey switch-in get crippled with a Choice Scarf.

My sis has Rotom-H as her spin-blocker. Knowing her she'll probably try to cripple Blissey and give her a Choice Scarf. Time to go to Spiritomb to absorb Trick. I hope Angie doesn't run Sub-Pain Split Rotom *fingers crossed*.

t3h_Adri4n switched in Spiritomb.
Spiritomb is hurt by spikes! (-18%)
Spiritomb is exerting its pressure
Rotom-H used Trick.
Rotom-H obtained Choice Band!
Spiritomb obtained Choice Scarf!

At this point I got a bit confused since my original team ran T-tar instead of Spiritomb. Unfortunately for me now, Rotom is stuck on Trick so I'll have to switch. I'm pretty sure I can survive a weak pursuit from Spiritomb, especially after taking away its band.

Rotom forms also cause trouble for Y, preventing him from sweeping. So it's a good thing that I got Angie's one in a checkmate position. Can my Adamant Spiritomb OHKO a scarf-Rotom, even without my handy Choice Band?

Spiritomb used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Rotom-H lost 100% of its health.
Angel Diva's Rotom-H fainted.

Angel 5 Adrian 5

What the? Rotom died instantly to Spiritomb? It turns out that Spiritomb is Adamant as my bro tells me that fact around this point. I could now go to X and set up all over Adrian's team now, but Gyarados is still alive, and I need it to die. Hence begins a sequence of turns in order to lure it out and kill it. Let's hope everything goes according to plan. Step one: bring in Jirachi to set up SR.

Jirachi is out. I decide to go to Blissey and heal up abit.

t3h_adri4n switched in Blissey.
Blissey is hurt by spikes! (-18%)
Jirachi used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around t3h_Adri4n's team.
Jirachi and Blissey's leftovers restored 6% of their health.

Step one complete. Step two: heal Swampert, who is my Gyarados lure.

It's time to wish and heal!

Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
Blissey used Wish.
Blissey made a wish!
Jirachi and Blissey's leftovers restored 6% of their health.

Ok, now to bring out Swampert. Hopefully Blissey uses Protect.

My first misplay happens during the next turn.

Angel Diva switched in Swampert.
Blissey used Protect.
Blissey protected herself.
Swampert and Blissey's wish came true!
Swampert restored 50% of its health.
Blissey restored 12% of her health.

Yes! All things went according to plan. Now I'm pretty sure Gyarados will come out. And since I'm banded, I know I can beat Gyara even if he rests. Let's hope I don't miss...

And here's the mistake. I could've used Seismic Toss and Swampert would've been dead. Instead, I decided to protect for whatever reason. Now Angie's Swampert is relatively healthy and someone on my team has to eat a STAB EQ or Waterfall. Luckily I still have Gyarados around.

t3h_Adri4n switched in Gyarados.
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados. (-25%)
Gyarados' Intimidate cut Swampert's attack.
Swampert used Stone Edge.
Critical hit!
Gyarados lost 75% of its health.
t3h_Adri4n's Gyarados fainted.
Angel 5 Adrian 4

Strike! Although the crit was unnecessary as I would beat it even if it rests(as long as I don't miss, of course). Now I can bring out X and sweep through Adrian's team.

I get outplayed here and Gyarados goes down to Stone Edge. Luckily for me, Swampert is locked into Stone Edge which Y resists. Now I can finally bring out Y and set up.

t3h_Adri4n sent out Y.
Pointed stones dug into Y. (-6%)

Oh crap! It's just as I expected. Adrian does indeed have that Pokemon that this team is built around. I switch in to X and hope to scare it away.

Yeah!! I can set up and sweep Angie's team. I know Swampert, being banded and all shouldn't have too many defense EVs, hence Y can beat it.

Angel Diva switched in X.
Y used Trick Room.
Y twisted the dimensions!

Now that X & Y have been revealed, I will no longer refer to them as that.

Yep, it's just as I built it with T-tar instead of Spiritomb. Adrian's last team member is OTR Bronzong, and my 6th member is pure physical Infernape who failed to scare it away. I can't let my sweeper die, so I shall stall out the trick room turns. Sorry Rosie, but you've already done your job decently enough with the 2 layers of spikes, so I choose you (to be scarificed!) Who knows, you might survive Bronzong's EQ?

Alright, I have Trick Room up. Now it's time for Bronzong to start his rampage. In my experience with this team, Gyro Ball OHKOs Infernape despite resisting, so Gyro Ball it is!

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Roserade lost 100% of its health.
Angel Diva's Roserade fainted.

Angel 4 Adrian 4
Angel Diva sent out Swampert.

Bronzong didn't go for the EQ which I did some prior calcs, my max HP Roserade could survive it. However, he used Gyro Ball, which definitely OHKOs her. I'll bring out Swampert, although I'm not very hopeful with him surviving.

I see where my sister's getting at. Stall out TR turns and hope to bring Infernape in at the end of Trick Room. Well, since the ball has started rolling, no point try to stop it!

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
It's not very effective...
Swampert lost 55% of its health.
Angel Diva's Swampert fainted.

Angel 3 Adrian 4
Angel Diva sent out Starmie.

As expected, since my Swampert has no defense EVs and more speed EVs, Gyro Ball kills me despite resisting. I did hope for Swampert to survive but oh well...Starmie's next. I wonder if Starmie can survive it(read: no)

Bronzong scores his second kill, and Starmie is really fast, and not at full health, so Gyro Ball will still OHKO despite resisting.

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Starmie lost 78% of its health.
Angel Diva's Starmie fainted.

Angel 2 Adrian 4

This is the last turn of TR, so I'm sorry, Jirachi, but I need Infernape around when TR ends, meaning you have to die for him.

Just as expected, my sis is going to bring in Infernape when Trick Room ends. However, I think I just might have a shot at this.

Bronzong used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 49% of its health.
Angel Diva's Jirachi fainted.
The twisted dimensions returned to normal.

Angel 1 Adrian 4
Angel Diva sent out Infernape.

The score looks bad and certainly not in my favor. However, with no Gyarados around, Infernape is ready to rampage through Adrian's team.

Ok, so now my plan is to get Infernape to kill itself with Life Orb damage. Will my plan succeed? I hope Infernape uses a fire move and not CC...

t3h_Adri4n switched in Kingdra.
Kingdra is hurt by spikes and stealth rock! (-30%)
Infernape used Fire Punch.
Kingdra lost 22% of its health.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.

Damn, I forgot about Kingdra and his x4 fire resist. I should've used CC instead but I didn't want to risk Bronzong staying in, survivng, then EQ. Anyway, CC should still kill it as Kingdra is hurting from the entry hazards.

Good! Infernape didn't use CC, so there goes another 10% off Infernape's health. Now to force Infernape to use CC!

Infernape used Close Combat.
Kingdra lost 48% of its health.
t3h_Adri4n's Kingdra fainted.
Infernape's defense and special defense fell.

Angel 1 Adrian 3
t3h_Adri4n sent out Blissey.
Blissey is hurt by spikes and stealth rock! (-30%)

Kingdra dies just as expected. Now Adrian sends out Blissey. Whatever. She still dies anyway.

Alright Infernape, it's important that you use CC and not Fire Punch, so that I have a better chance of winning.

Infernape used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Blissey lost 70% of its health.
t3h_Adri4n's Blissey fainted.
Infernape's defense and special defense fell.

Angel 1 Adrian 2
t3h_Adri4n sent out Bronzong.
Pointed stones dug into Bronzong. (-6%)

The flaming monkey destroyed the pink egg. Now a giant bell stands in his way. Certainly Bronzong is no match for Infernape's STAB Fire attacks?

I click on Explosion just in case Zong survives, but I'm pretty sure he won't.

Infernape used Fire Punch.
It's super effective!
Bronzong lost 88% of its health.
t3h_Adri4n's Bronzong fainted.

Angel 1 Adrian 1
t3h_Adri4n sent out Spiritomb.
Spiritomb is hurt by spikes and stealth rock (-30%)
Spiritomb is exerting its pressure.

Yes, I got this one wrapped up. Spiritomb is at low health and will die to a fire attack.

Ok, Spiritomb. Don't let me down!

Spiritomb used Sucker Punch.
Infernape lost 60% of its health.
Angel Diva's Infernape fainted.
t3h_Adri4n wins!

Oh crap! In all the excitement, I totally forgot about Sucker Punch. I could've used Swords Dance to stall away Spiritomb's Sucker Punch PP. Oh well! Congrats Adrian! A very well-deserved win from my younger brother, who beat me with my team!

Here's the RMT link to the killer Bronzong team.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74489http://http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74489

I WON! I won my sister using her own team! Well, technically not completely her team, but I'm so glad that I replaced T-tar with Spiritomb!
GG sis!

Props
Bronzong and Infernape both swept like crazy!
Swampert for getting rid of Heatran and Gyarados, along with Jirachi for healing him.
Spiritomb for getting unexpected kills on me.
Starmie for getting rid of Stealth Rock. I wonder if the battle would've changed had Adrian's SR remained on the field.

Slops
Blissey for letting me get away with many things(healing Swampert, spinning away SR)
Infernape not stalling out Sucker Punch with SD.
Heatran and Rotom. Those two just failed horribly.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Great Warstory. Stories with commentary on both sides are much better, and the thought processes and teams were good. I also have a thing for people posting matches which they lost, and the X/Y thing was good, because often that is done when the Pokemon had no effect on the match and only cleared up. Good work.

EDIT: realised that I forgot to rate, but an easy 9/10 for me.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was a very good warstory. I adore double commentary so it was definitely nice to see that. The concept of X and Y Pokemon was interesting and had me guessing what they could be. Well done for not doing a fake suspense thing at the end, those never work since it takes like half a second to scroll down. This is a 8 or 9/10 for me.

Props for a sibling match :D. Pretty good warstory overall and the thought processes were clear. X/Y thing was pretty creative and good. 8/10

Many warstories popping up all of a sudden. I enjoyed the sibling rivalry and using your opponent's own team against them.

That was really enjoyable to read! That X and Y (and the occasional hints at what they might be) really got me thinking throughout the reading. And TR Bronzong Gyro Ball sweep is certainly not a common scene either. It was certainly cool how the only different member (Spiritomb) from the original team ended up winning the match because of priority.

After doing calculations, I conclude that Swampert has a Choice Band or is at least Adamant, since Heatran should also survive Waterfall if was from the standard bulky water. Anyway, I decide to go with Gyarados to do some shuffling on my sister's team. With Stealth Rock up, Swampert should die at 5% if he comes in again.
Just a bit of a nitpick, but I think you might have forgotten about Torrent, since from my calculation, even neutral nature (with 252 Attack EVs) without any boosting item has a fair chance to OHKO, assuming the Heatran is the 128 HP one in the RMT. Speaking of which...

Here's the RMT link to the killer Bronzong team.
http://http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74489
You had "http://" twice.

Nice warstory! Dual commentary and the siblings factor made it very enjoyable to read. I predicted Infernape to be the mystery sweeper from team 1, but would never have guessed team 2 to feature OTR Bronzong.
The most satisfying thing was that the pokemon your brother implemented on your old team, ended up sealing the deal.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This is pretty good, despite the cheesy-but-fitting title.

Couple one though, I'm a stickler for pictures and health percentages throughout the story - they just make it look so much easier to follow along, hence more appealing. Other than that though, it was very well done. Good job.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This warstory is the only one I've read where I've liked the commentary in the last few months. It was a great battle as well. 5*

Now THIS is what warstories should be like! Great battle, and I always love dual commentary! It was also suspenseful with the X and Y in there, and it had me going for a long time. My favorite part, though, was that it was a battle between siblings! I have to agree with kokoloko, however, about the health percentages. Still, awesome job!

9.9/10 (the .1 missing because of lack of health percentages, but it doesn't matter that much)

Nice match, and great comments from both sides. It's also nice to see two siblings enjoy the same game. I have a sister too but she doesn't battle lol.

Very very nice warstory. Offensive TR Bronzong? A beast. Can't believe it knocked out 4 people like that o_o

Nice warstory! But I have a small question.
According to Smogon calculator,
if Offensive TR Bronzong uses Gyro Ball against min hp/min Def Starmie, the damage is 118-140 (45.2%-53.6%).

How could the following situation be possible?

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Starmie lost 78% of its health.
Angel Diva's Starmie fainted.

The format wasn't very good and made it really really hard to follow. Though the battle was well played nonetheless. Especially the sister-brother thing. That made it much more interesting. 6.9/10

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's...it's beautiful. Brother and sister playing Pokemon together, both of whom know what they're doing. Legends will be told about this warstory for years to come.

...ha ha, just kidding. Excellent commentary, the battle was okay, but I'm still pretty shocked at the idea of two siblings playing Pokemon together on such a high competitive level. I'm fairly certain there's no way I could get my brother (or anyone else for that matter) to be any good at this game, so I'll have to make do with reading this. Aces to the both of you.

The amount of damage that Brozong was dealing makes scares me, though. *shudders*

if Offensive TR Bronzong uses Gyro Ball against min hp/min Def Starmie, the damage is 132-156 (50.6% - 59.8%).
You didn't use min HP/Def. Here's the real calc: 68.2% - 80.5%

33.4% - 39.3%
this is offensive trick room bronzong against 0hp/0def/252spe swampert

27.2% - 32.3%
and this is against the suggested spread for CB swampert

what happened here?
Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Swampert lost 55% of its health.
the damage on starmie doesn't work out either. smogon gives 45.2% - 53.6% as offensive bronzong against LO starmie.

SJCrew

You guys need to do your calcs properly...

So yes, even though he did roll high on both accounts, the damage is very much possible.

eh? that requires Swamp/Starm to be on -1 (you have edited something in the "boosts" option, which indicates this)

252 Brave Macho Brace Bronzong Gyro Ball
vs. Jolly Choice Band Swampert -1 : 170 - 201 49.9% - 58.9%, for example

Great warstory though!

I did the calcs against and got the same result that I got before, I don;t know what is wrong with your computer (perhaps you have boosted bronzongs attack inadvertently) but here is proof from the damage formula that your calc against starmie is wrong.
Damage Formula = (((((((Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) ÷ [Sp]Def) × Mod1) + 2) ×
CH × Mod2 × R ÷ 100) × STAB × Type1 × Type2 × Mod3

1.Bronzong is level 100 so the first set of parentheses yields 100*2/5=40
2. add 2 to get 42
3. bronzongs attack is 304 and the base power is 150 so we get 42*304*150/50=38304
4. mod1 is 1 and starmie reaches 206 def with no investment so we divide by 206 to get 185.94 which we round to 185
5.we add 2 to get 187
6.it was not a crit and mod2 is 1 , to get max damage we can assume that R=100 thus we multiply by then divide by 100 to get 187 back
7.it has stab so we multiply by 1.5 to get 280.5 which we round to 280
8. its not very effective so we divide by 2 to get 140 mod3 is also 1 so this is our final answer.

no investment starmie has 261HP so this percentage is 140/261= 53.6%

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Warstory was okay: comments good, battle okay, teams not so hot but whatever. It was a reasonably entertaining Warstory.

SJCrew

Snap, looks like I did have it on -1. In that case, I'm just as baffled as you guys are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)