Simple and Clean

Introduction

First of all, I'd like to start by saying I enjoy making teams and customizing them. Each team represents a players' style and their approach to battling. So that every team is different, this is part of why competitive battling is so entertaining. I've already signed up for the Battling 101 program to improve my battling skills; all that's left is to improve my team. Since I'm new, hopefully, I don't break too many rules in the process.

Team Preview:

Forretress (F) @ Mental Herb
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

Forretress makes a great lead; the best lead, it's the only Pokemon with access to all three entry hazards and Rapid Spin (apart from Smeargle). That's not the only reason, however, as the best thing about it is its ability, Sturdy. This acts as a Focus Sash and guarantees at least one layer of entry hazards on the opponent's side of the field. With Sturdy acting as a Focus Sash, I can run an alternative item in this slot. Previously, I ran Normal Gem, since it boosted the power of Explosion and it wouldn't have mattered if it was one time use. Nowadays, I run Mental Herb. This is what I meant when I said it guarantees at least one layer of entry hazards (though it doesn't prevent Rapid Spin of course). Usually, the opponent will try to Taunt first, which will have no effect as I begin to set up. Then, if they have it, they will set up their own entry hazards as I begin to set up my next layer. To limit the damage done, they will most likely Taunt again whilst I happily click Rapid Spin to clear the field and ruin their Sash. Well, against Aerodactyl anyways. Not Gliscors though, they'll Taunt twice.

The EVs were focused mainly on Defense, since most fire-type attacks are special and will likely 2HKO (with Sturdy). The large defensive investment lets it set up on most physical attackers with impunity. I chose Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes over Spikes because I've found the combination to be more effective. Rapid Spin is necessary as is Explosion.

Scrafty (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Crunch

The original idea for this team was to use a team of Pokemon I hated going up against. What came to mind immediately were this guy and Reuniclus. Surprisingly, they form a unique core and cover each others' weaknesses fairly well. Reuniclus can take hits from the physical side whilst Scrafty can take hits from the special side of things. Together, they can absorb all status and set up multiple boosts.

Bulk Up and Calm Mind is complement to each other.

Scrafty walls the most common set of Sigilyph.

Both of them are awesome.

The EVs provide maximum Leftovers recovery whilst the moves provide good coverage hitting most things for at least neutral damage (except Toxicroak and Heracross).

Sigilyph (F) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power

As much as I love Reuniclus, its typing is more of a liability than it is helpful. It often gives Scizor more switch-ins than the team would like (at one point, I even considered using Heatran on a rain team just to counter it). As it turns out, the Pokemon that gets walled by my beloved Scrafty is a much better fit for the team than Reuniclus will ever be. Scizor and Tyranitar will be hesitant to switch into Sigilyph for fear of burn via a timely Psycho Shift.

The EVs are similar to Reuniclus, but it is played differently and can make or break games.

Politoed (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Perish Song

Politoed was chosen to help alleviate Forretress' weakness to fire-type Pokemon, such as Heatran and Volcarona. It can switch in and threaten a powerful rain + STAB + Specs boosted Hydro Pump. This usually means another team-mate has to switch in and take massive damage or you're Vaporeon (Scrafty eats Pringles for breakfast).

The EVs and nature maximizes the damage output of Hydro Pump with the rest of the EVs providing some much needed bulk in order to better handle enemy Tyranitars.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Sigilyph needed a partner to handle powerful Ice and Electric-type moves. So I decided to go for the support route with Jirachi (and abuse flinch hax) by using Protect and Iron Head in lieu of two attacking moves. Although, it still has problems with Thundurus, especially if they've used Nasty Plot beforehand.

The EVs remain the same, but Body Slam was chosen over Thunder simply because more Ground-type Pokemon exist than Ghosts. This also lets it function outside of rain, which can be helpful, especially when up against Rotom-W.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Trick

Latios helps keeps many threats at bay due to its amazing speed. It also provides many useful resistances thanks to its auspicious typing. It is another powerful special attacker along with Politoed but it has Trick to render Ferrothorn useless for the rest of the match.

That's the team, I hope you enjoyed it. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

I love rain teams just saying, but here's my advice
Change your Forretress to a set like this
Forretress@leftovers
Sturdy
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Payback
252 hp/252 SpDef/4 def
Now I recommend this set because with the rain up he only has a weakness to fire that is x2 instead of x4 so he can stay around longer. Payback > Explosion because it allows him to remain around for awhile longer in case anyone spins away your layers, and your main core you said you liked of Reuniclus and Scrafty is weak to bug which Forry resists x4 as well as your Latios, and nobody else resists bug either. Payback also makes him able to handle ghosts that otherwise would run all over him and easily set up.

I'm quite reckless with my Forretress. I use it to set up Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes depending on the opponent's team and then Explode to get a safe switch in, or I could go with the death fodder route and save it for later. I can deal with most ghost-type Pokemon too. Though, I have troubles with Rotom-W since it can use the rain against me.

I've made some important changes but I'd like to hear some more input/advice. I feel that this team still has potential so please take a look.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)