Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt

EVs maximise Body Press's power and outspeed fully invested neutral-natured base 45s, with the remaining EVs placed into SpA to increase Thunderbolt's damage output, OHKOing 252 / 4 Skarmory.

:ss/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 116 SpA / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt

EVs maximise Body Press's power and outspeed fully invested neutral-natured base 45s, with the remaining EVs placed into SpA to increase Thunderbolt's damage output, OHKOing 252 / 4 Skarmory.
You should be careful around skarmory, as some of them run some speed investment which can outspeed magnezone and actually turn the tables on it with body press, it would be best if you could break its sturdy with a u-turn or something

How much atk investment is good to run on hex dragapult if running darts? And is thunder-wave the superior option if you have some middling speed tier breakers on your team?

Katy

Banned deucer.
How much atk investment is good to run on hex dragapult if running darts? And is thunder-wave the superior option if you have some middling speed tier breakers on your team?
:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hex
- U-turn
- Dragon Darts
- Thunder Wave

this could be a set, it can pressure Blissey and it can also deal with Volcarona. If your team suffers from middling Speed tier, then Thunder Wave is definitely worth a shot. Volcarona gets an uptick in usage recently with Weavile, Scizor, and Garchomp as a partner. So Thunder Wave + Dragon Darts can deal reliably with it and can cripple also Weavile and Scizor. However, this set gets outran by timid / jolly Dragapults, but with defensive Partners against opposing Dragapult, this set can definitely work well.

Hopefully that helped :)

Magma Storm + Taunt Heatran is a great stallbreaker. You prevent their healing and Teleport with Taunt and they can't do a damn thing to you seeing that you're SpD and 4x resist Moonblast. Then just kill with your attacking move(s). Earth Power variants also work against Pex because you'll kill them before they kill you thanks to Magma Storm residual damage. Residual damage + Taunt makes Heatran a good stallbreaker in general.
thank you! heatran is actually one of my favorite pokemon but i have only used scarf set on it, will try magma taunt!

Katy

Banned deucer.
Why is Scizor considered a good check to grass-types, specifically Rillaboom and Kartana? I get that its a good check to choice band variants, but Rillaboom and Kartana are both able to do massive damage to it with their SD boosted attacks.

What are some common spreads that Bulky SD Scizor runs besides max HP / Special Defense?
:scizor:
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

this set is also great if you are concerned about rillaboom and kartana especially their swords dance variants. tis spread allows you to cover them better on the physical defensive end while the special defense still allows scizor to check kyurem and tapu lele decently well.

hope that helped :)

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Due to its appearance(s) in SPL lately, what set does a banded bisharp run? Also, which team archetype does it fit in and teammates it appreciates?
Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Beat Up / Low Kick / Assurance

It's usually used on bulky offense. Suitable teammates include pivots like Slowking and Spikers like Skarmory.

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Beat Up / Low Kick / Assurance

It's usually used on bulky offense. Suitable teammates include pivots like Slowking and Spikers like Skarmory.
Sweet, thank you!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
thank you,
and what is the difference between elo and glicko-1?
PS Guide said:
How the ladder works
Our ladder displays four ratings: Elo, GXE, and Glicko-1.

Elo is the main ladder rating. It's a pretty normal ladder rating: goes up when you win and down when you lose.

GXE (Glicko X-Act Estimate) is an estimate of your win chance against an average ladder player.

Glicko-1 is a different rating system. It has rating and deviation values.

Note that win/loss should not be used to estimate skill, since who you play against is much more important than how many times you win or lose. Our other stats like Elo and GXE are much better for estimating skill.
https://pokemonshowdown.com/pages/ladderhelp

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
thank you,
and what is the difference between elo and glicko-1?
To add to what Finch posted, I'd say Glicko is a better estimate of real player skill than Elo is, and it is the rating that GXE takes into account as part of its calculation formula (though I'm sure there are lots of other factors, as the two don't map onto each other 1:1). As for what each rating means:

When you create a new alt, you have a Glicko rating of 1500±300, and GXE aims to estimate the likelihood of a player winning versus someone with said rating—i.e. a completely random opponent. Glicko can increase or decrease from there, though I'm not sure if there is a cap/floor on what PS! will allow a Glicko rating to rise/fall to. As you play more games, your Glicko deviation will decrease, and a GXE value is generated only when the deviation drops below ±100. If you don't play in a while, the deviation on your Glicko rating will increase and, as such, it will become less representative of your real skill level.

As for Elo, you start at the lowest possible rating (1000) and you gain or lose points each time you win/lose/draw. If you go a while without playing any games, your Elo will decay at what I assume is a logarithmic (infinitely slowing) rate. It is very good for tracking short-term achievement, making it good for things like OLT and for the primary purpose of PS!'s ladder, and rewards activity more than consistency, though you obviously still need both, especially once you get very near the top of the ladder (most games will result in either a small increase when winning or a large drop for a loss/draw).

To put into perspective why I don't think Elo a very good measure of skill, I was looking through the ladder a few weeks ago and saw an alt in the top 500 (with an Elo rating of over 1750) that had more losses than wins, over 4000 ladder games played, a GXE of 59.9%, and a Glicko rating of less than 1600 (which doesn't even get taken into account in tiering statistics), so you can (and will) climb just by playing a lot even if you don't perform particularly well and your Elo rating will reflect your recent games more than your overall record. Either way though, all of these rating systems are sorta fake and frequently get manipulated by people who just dump bad alts, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tournament placements and success in friendlies should take precedent over rank, as with any game, and a lot of top players (ABR included) seldom use the ladder outside of tournaments like OLT.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)