Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

CC / Ice Fang / Crunch / Psychic Fangs combined with a choice band or life orb lets Zama-H 1-2HKO everything in the tier off of a read, except Clef (and Tangrowth in the case of life orb). Zamazenta-Hero also has 92/172/115 bulk which even while uninvested is comparable to defensive Corviknight, bar the typing and recovery. A scarf isn't necessary either since zeraora and dragapult are the only non scarfers that outspeed anyways.

Combine the above with basically any support and you'll punch holes in teams.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
I'm trying to get reqs for the current suspect test; is 11-1 a good enough start? If it matters, the loss was game #9.
To add onto Finch's post, I would like to mention that GXE is, in part, calculated based on when you lose your games, and earlier losses do count a bit more harshly than those later. That being said, though, 11-1 is definitely a very doable start; best of luck!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I just wanna add to Kirby's question with one of my own, something that I've been wondering for quite a while

Does elo have any relevance to the gxe? Like, my main question is, is it possible to get the voting requirements while remaining under 1500 elo? Since I don't really want to try hard that much in a game with this much rng involved

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I just wanna add to Kirby's question with one of my own, something that I've been wondering for quite a while

Does elo have any relevance to the gxe? Like, my main question is, is it possible to get the voting requirements while remaining under 1500 elo? Since I don't really want to try hard that much in a game with this much rng involved
Doubtful if you're below 1500 ELO you most likely will not have the GXE requirement in correlation to games needed to begin with. The ELO does not correlate to GXE in a manner where this is possible in OU ladder. Best case scenario you go close to 30-0 and are right below or in between the 1600-1700 ELO range.

Edit: You can look at the Voter Identification thread for comparison to see what you need generally to make reqs.

Doubtful if you're below 1500 ELO you most likely will not have the GXE requirement in correlation to games needed to begin with. The ELO does not correlate to GXE in a manner where this is possible in OU ladder. Best case scenario you go close to 30-0 and are right below or in between the 1600-1700 ELO range.
I'm using a screens offense team with Koko and 5 setup sweepers (Bisharp, Volcarona, Dragapult, Zama-C, and Garchomp); would such a team still be effective at 1500-1600 Elo? At my current position at 1300 or so I usually just blitz through unprepared teams, but I assume at higher Elo people would be more prepared.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'm using a screens offense team with Koko and 5 setup sweepers (Bisharp, Volcarona, Dragapult, Zama-C, and Garchomp); would such a team still be effective at 1500-1600 Elo? At my current position at 1300 or so I usually just blitz through unprepared teams, but I assume at higher Elo people would be more prepared.
This meta is half and half theorymon I would probably just look at teams posted by those that got reqs to see what worked for them. Some of it isnt the team but the player using it as well. This team has no ground immunity though which is bad personally.

It's also ladder better to not overestimate it due to the variance of it and just bring something you feel comfortable with or feel like is solid. You also have time it feels like forever but it really only has been a week lol.

This meta is half and half theorymon I would probably just look at teams posted by those that got reqs to see what worked for them. Some of it isnt the team but the player using it as well.

It's also ladder better to not overestimate it due to the variance of it and just bring something you feel comfortable with or feel like is solid.
Ok, thanks. I definitely feel comfortable with my team and think that it's really fun to use, mostly just because sweeping with Volc or Bisharp is very satisfying.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

Edit: You can look at the Voter Identification thread for comparison to see what you need generally to make reqs.
Oh too bad since this suspect is one that actually makes me wanna vote on it

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Something that I picked up from a friend that I'm giving a shot for this suspect is using HO for my first 15 games, and capping off the rest of my games with a more reliable, consistent team. The issue with HO is that it is inherently a very volatile archetype; its polarity and ability to claim games on a whim can be invaluable on the lower ladder where there is little to no reliable or consistent counterplay to top OU wallbreakers, but its inconsistency can start to show in mid-high ladder where people start to adjust their teams more for the metagame. When I get my suspect requisites, I'll be posting both the HO team and BO team I've been using to illustrate this idea a bit more; although, obviously, this is just how I'd like to do it, and you're free to try getting your requisites however you please (just don't cheat, obviously).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

GXE is related to Glicko, not Elo. I’ve answered questions about the rating systems a few times ITT, so I’ll just link those:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656259/post-8550689

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656259/post-8803707

Something that I picked up from a friend that I'm giving a shot for this suspect is using HO for my first 15 games, and capping off the rest of my games with a more reliable, consistent team. The issue with HO is that it is inherently a very volatile archetype; its polarity and ability to claim games on a whim can be invaluable on the lower ladder where there is little to no reliable or consistent counterplay to top OU wallbreakers, but its inconsistency can start to show in mid-high ladder where people start to adjust their teams more for the metagame. When I get my suspect requisites, I'll be posting both the HO team and BO team I've been using to illustrate this idea a bit more; although, obviously, this is just how I'd like to do it, and you're free to try getting your requisites however you please (just don't cheat, obviously).
Interesting, I didn't think of changing teams part of the way through. On my first alt, I used a balance team, but I only went 22-15 with it and, after others' suggestions, reset with a new alt. You're definitely right about low ladder (a low-ladder like me had to get to 11-1 somehow), but yeah, it makes sense that a prepared team would find a way to beat me. I'd like to see the BO team you're using; hopefully it can help!

Update: I dropped a few games, and my record's now 18-6. Is that still good enough to possibly make reqs, or should I start over again?
Secondary update: I made a new alt; I'm starting up with the same team as before (Screens Koko HO), but I might switch teams partway through like I mentioned above

Last edited:
I saw this Victini set around as a Zama check, and was thinking of trying it out. What are some nice partners for it? Also, what are the 32 HP EVs for?

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I saw this Victini set around as a Zama check, and was thinking of trying it out. What are some nice partners for it? Also, what are the 32 HP EVs for?

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 32 HP / 224 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
Always survives 2 +1 Wild Charges iirc. Works well with Pokemon that appreciate LandoT and Chomp burnt.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Interesting, I didn't think of changing teams part of the way through. On my first alt, I used a balance team, but I only went 22-15 with it and, after others' suggestions, reset with a new alt. You're definitely right about low ladder (a low-ladder like me had to get to 11-1 somehow), but yeah, it makes sense that a prepared team would find a way to beat me. I'd like to see the BO team you're using; hopefully it can help!

Update: I dropped a few games, and my record's now 18-6. Is that still good enough to possibly make reqs, or should I start over again?
Secondary update: I made a new alt; I'm starting up with the same team as before (Screens Koko HO), but I might switch teams partway through like I mentioned above
You could make a 18-6 record work... but probably not worth it at this point to be entirely honest.

Hey, can someone help me out here? Is there a specific benchmark that 248/208+ Volcarona hits defensively, or am I safe to drop a bit of Defense to speed creep Weavile at +1? (180+ Defense, 80 Speed)

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hey, can someone help me out here? Is there a specific benchmark that 248/208+ Volcarona hits defensively, or am I safe to drop a bit of Defense to speed creep Weavile at +1? (180+ Defense, 80 Speed)

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
I would drop defense and outrun Koko, ZamaC, and Weav at +1. Also worth considering Pult and Zera, too, especially since it gives you the jump on some other things at +0 speed. Generally, defensive Volc runs max HP and some defense now, but it still does not skimp out on speed a ton.

I would drop defense and outrun Koko, ZamaC, and Weav at +1. Also worth considering Pult and Zera, too, especially since it gives you the jump on some other things at +0 speed. Generally, defensive Volc runs max HP and some defense now, but it still does not skimp out on speed a ton.
Thank you so much! You always answer so fast and tell me exactly what I need to know, I really appreciate it. Thanks for your hard work!

What's a good Dragapult switch-in that isn't passive?
Every switch-in is fairly passive since there aren't any offensive mons that can handle Dragon + Ghost + Fire coverage. Blissey reliably walls, but it's a damn Blissey, enough said. Specially defensive Mandibuzz works, but that's passive too. Spdef Tyranitar works but it's somewhat passive, lacks recovery, gets worn down quickly, and is vulnerable to U-Turn. Spdef Clefable can handle it (be careful of status spam + Specs Hex) but that's on the passive side as well. On the other hand, once Clefable is in, not much wants to switch into Moonblast + Thunder Wave and / or Knock Off. Same goes for spdef Toxapex, although you can't let it get too low, or else:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 226-267 (74.3 - 87.8%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

All of these mean you have to accept that, for bulky offense teams and everything fatter, you will have to sacrifice offensive momentum in order to not lose to Specs Dragapult. The only reliable Dragapult switch-in I can think of that fits onto HO is dual screens Grimmsnarl.

In summary: what AM said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)