Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Will the metagame will all of the Pokemon include Z-Moves and Mega Evolution? Dynamaxing with those mechanics probably would get extremely wack.
In addition to what Mannat said, Other Metagames will likely have an OU-based meta featuring all the old mons, megas, and Z moves along with the new features, and with old moves and movepools restored. It may end up becoming popular enough to warrant a permanent ladder on showdown but time will tell.

Yeah at that point it will turn into Ubers Lite and be extremely wack unless an extraordinary amount of bans occur. I won’t discuss it here though.

am I missing something or is prankster substitute not a very easy and simple way to stall out your opponent's dynamax? Originally I thought fake out would be huge this gen but the whole no flinching thing is pretty unexpected.

Does Fishious Rend get the power boost if it's used on a Pokemon that's switching in or do you have to actually outspeed something?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
do iv's and ev's matter on ditto?
They do, the recommended spread is a Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spe) with 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def EVs and 0 Spe IVs. Its gen 7 analysis page explains it well:
Ditto copies all of its foe's stats except for HP; thus, 252 HP EVs are used to maximize Ditto's bulk. Since Ditto copies the majority of its foe's stats, its IVs are only relevant in three cases: determining its HP stat, determining its Hidden Power type, and in the rare mirror matchup. In a mirror matchup between two Ditto, the faster Ditto will Transform first and be left with 5 PP. A Pokemon cannot Transform into an already Transformed Pokemon, so the slower Ditto will retain all of its PP and will Struggle last. 0 Speed IVs with a Relaxed nature aim to create the slowest untransformed Ditto. 252 Defense EVs are used with the Relaxed nature to minimize the amount of damage taken from opposing Struggle, while 4 Attack EVs give a slight boost to the damage output of Struggle. 0 Speed IVs and 31 IVs in every other stat give Ditto Hidden Power Ice, allowing it to significantly damage defensive Landorus-T. 30 Special Attack, 30 Special Defense, and 1 Speed IV can be used for Hidden Power Ground, which allows Ditto to countertrap Magnezone.

Last edited:
So uh, I’m not super competitive and haven’t really been in the meta since ORAS, but is it just me or all all he movesets severely lacking? Most Pokémon only get a few offensive moves of different types, usually just their STAB(s) and then a normal move. Plus sometimes a coverage move is only available in their weaker attack stat. Is this just because Home transfer of past gen tutor moves isn’t available yet? Or is it because they removed so many moves this gen? And what about the new Pokémon?

So uh, I’m not super competitive and haven’t really been in the meta since ORAS, but is it just me or all all he movesets severely lacking? Most Pokémon only get a few offensive moves of different types, usually just their STAB(s) and then a normal move. Plus sometimes a coverage move is only available in their weaker attack stat. Is this just because Home transfer of past gen tutor moves isn’t available yet? Or is it because they removed so many moves this gen? And what about the new Pokémon?
Gamefreak is trying to balance the game, so the cuts in movepool. The problem it's that good mons still good, and bad mons (like the normal types) still bad.

Any changes to the breeding mechanics? Does inheriting Abilities and natures and Poké Balls and moves work exactly the same as Gen VII still?

Of course the question barely matters, since breeding is almost irrelevant now, who needs that perfect Ditto. With enough BPs (which are way quicker to earn in Galar) any Pokémon caught in the wild can be made competitive now. The addition of Mints, way lower costs on Ability Capsules (and other items), removing the vitamins' EV limit and Hidden Power altogether... I suppose Hidden vs non-Hidden Ability is still a deal-breaker issue though, huh.

Can someone tell me why I see pokemon like Incineroar in Gen 8 OU Randoms on Pokemonshowdown despite it not even being in the Pokemon Sw/Sh Pokedex?

Are Gmax forms usable in OU already? If so, I assume they can be used by selecting the gmax form of the mon in the team builder and then transforming in battle so you don't just dynamax, right?

Is there ever a reason a Pokémon (like gengar, for example) would Dmax instead of Gmax (for applicable Pokémon)?

Is there ever a reason a Pokémon (like gengar, for example) would Dmax instead of Gmax (for applicable Pokémon)?
Yeah, if the boost from the D-max move is useless (such as Gengar getting an attack boost from Ghost moves) and the G-max move is not (Gigantamax Gengar's trapping move for instance).

Any changes to the breeding mechanics? Does inheriting Abilities and natures and Poké Balls and moves work exactly the same as Gen VII still?
The main difference you're looking at is the new Egg Move mechanic.

It is possible in game now to pass egg moves from a pokemon to another of same species by putting them toghether in the day care.

Thus (once Home opens up), certain combinations that were previously illegal (by combining event moves with egg moves, or previous gen tutor moves with new egg moves or HAs) are going to become legal.

Are there any Pokemon in SS OU that have Electric/Psychic/Grassy/Misty Surge as abilities? (Exclude Rillaboom.) If this question has been asked before, can you give me the answer to that question? Thanks.

Are there any Pokemon in SS OU that have Electric/Psychic/Grassy/Misty Surge as abilities? (Exclude Rillaboom.) If this question has been asked before, can you give me the answer to that question? Thanks.
Grassy Surge is HA on Rillaboom (so unreleased)
Misty Surge is HA on Galar Weezing
Psychic Surge is HA on Indeedee
Electric surge is HA on Pincurchin (spelling) which is... as unviable as it can be

What are the sets for Darmantian right now? Is band or scarf better/more widespread?
Scarf seems more common, as Gorrila Tactics is effectively Choice Band, and so we generally go for Speed now that we have an Attack Boost. But Band hits like a truck. It depends on what is your play style I guess.

I made a pretty bad team real quick (first time of this gen, am not so great at teambuilding). I really wanted to use sirfetch'd the GOAT but I dont know what kind of team i should use with him. Anyone some tips, or improvements for this team?
Hatterene (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire

Musharna @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Healing Wish
- Magic Coat
- Psychic

Runerigus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Toxic Spikes
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Sirfetch'd @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Close Combat
- First Impression
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch

Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)