Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Eien_No_Teki oops im sorry i completely missed the "no corviknight" bit. lemme see if i can give u a better answer:

Rapid Spin: Delibird, Hitmontop, Torkoal, Claydol, Excadrill, Avalugg, Tsareena, Turtonator, Dhelmise, Eldegoss, Coalossal, Mr. Rime, Morepko
Defog: Galarian Weezing, Noctowl, Shiftry, Drifblim, Conkeldurr, Braviary, Mandibuzz, Hawlucha, Noivern, Corviknight, Cramorant, Sirfetch'd, Frosmoth

these are all the fully evolved users of defog and rapid spin avaliable, compiled by tpp in the first metagame discussion thread. and as previously stated by finchinator, only corviknight, mandibuzz, and excadrill are widely viable. conkeldurr and avalugg, are probably worth a mention but they're not particularly great. feel free to play around with these 'mons to see if any of 'em gives you the result you were looking for but i wouldn't expect any of these to match the eficiency of corviknight and mandibuzz sadly. i suppose the viable choices for hazard removal are rather limited, but the few that are viable and available are very good at it so at least there's that!

Eien_No_Teki oops im sorry i completely missed the "no corviknight" bit. lemme see if i can give u a better answer:

Rapid Spin: Delibird, Hitmontop, Torkoal, Claydol, Excadrill, Avalugg, Tsareena, Turtonator, Dhelmise, Eldegoss, Coalossal, Mr. Rime, Morepko
Defog: Galarian Weezing, Noctowl, Shiftry, Drifblim, Conkeldurr, Braviary, Mandibuzz, Hawlucha, Noivern, Corviknight, Cramorant, Sirfetch'd, Frosmoth

these are all the fully evolved users of defog and rapid spin avaliable, compiled by tpp in the first metagame discussion thread. and as previously stated by finchinator, only corviknight, mandibuzz, and excadrill are widely viable. conkeldurr and avalugg, are probably worth a mention but they're not particularly great. feel free to play around with these 'mons to see if any of 'em gives you the result you were looking for but i wouldn't expect any of these to match the eficiency of corviknight and mandibuzz sadly. i suppose the viable choices for hazard removal are rather limited, but the few that are viable and available are very good at it so at least there's that!
It's cool. I was looking for more defensive mons who defog (Weezing and Conk can pass for that) so maybe ppl discovered something I didn't. I appreciate the compilation. Thanks.

What mons check Hatterene?

Playing stall and it's been giving me the most trouble so far
Snorlax has worked out decently well for me, I've just been using Rest/Curse/Body Slam/Darkest Lariat and it does alright. Sylveon also deals with it pretty well and is less prone to being worn down in general due to Wish + Protect. Max spedef Corv might be able to beat it and I've even heard of AV Copperajah although I wouldn't use it on stall. Dugtrio can trap Hatterene if it's sufficiently weakened. Pyukumuku can be EVd to avoid a 2HKO from Psychic after rocks but it can't do anything back (afaik) because of Magic Bounce.

Last edited:
Something along the lines of Pelipper/Barra/Dracovish/rain abuser(Corv or Noivern could work here)/Ferrothorn/Ditto or something else to fix defensive backbone
If I use Corv + Ferro, would SpDef Ferro be a good choice for the team?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot to ask if (even though it's not that standard) Drednaw could be a good rain abuser.

If I use Corv + Ferro, would SpDef Ferro be a good choice for the team?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot to ask if (even though it's not that standard) Drednaw could be a good rain abuser.
Generally physdef Ferro belongs on rain teams so as not to get fully demolished by opposing dracovish and other opposing rain(plus with so many phsyical abusers around phys is standard anyways) and Drednaw could potentially work but the fact that it's outsped by most scarfers even in rain severely undermines its viability. That being said, it does hit harder than Barraskewda plus has SD

How's the viability of Lucario this gen? Does it have in worth in OU at all or is it best in UU? If the former what would be some good sets to run in the current meta?

How's the viability of Lucario this gen? Does it have in worth in OU at all or is it best in UU? If the former what would be some good sets to run in the current meta?
It has no place in OU.
Being outsped by most offensive mons plus being frail and not having nearly the explosive power of other powerhouses like G-Darm plus being inherently walled by Pex just means it sucks. I'd say the best you could do is run a setup set (SD or NP, maybe CM) and avoid priority. If you run priority you will be walled by Pex.

It has no place in OU.
Being outsped by most offensive mons plus being frail and not having nearly the explosive power of other powerhouses like G-Darm plus being inherently walled by Pex just means it sucks. I'd say the best you could do is run a setup set (SD or NP, maybe CM) and avoid priority. If you run priority you will be walled by Pex.
I felt this meta was a bit slower than previous and being walled by one Pokemon doesn't mean the Pokemon is shit. That's what teammates are for to get rid of that wall.

Edit: also if Pex is that much of a concern it could just run NP+Psychic

Last edited:
I felt this meta was a bit slower than previous and being walled by one Pokemon doesn't mean the Pokemon is shit. That's what teammates are for to get rid of that wall.

Edit: also if Pex is that much of a concern it could just run NP+Psychic
Take it from last gen.
Keldeo was walled by Pex and it was the only pokemon that walled it but being walled by a common pokemon is not conducive to your success.
Therefore Keldeo was C- on VR iirc last gen.
And while it can muscle past Pex, it's slow speed limits it from doing the job of an offensive pokemon, and it doesn't have bulk either to tank hits.

I've used Lucario a fair amount and it's actually decent-ish. Since there's no Flying types in OU that resist Fighting it doesn't need Ice punch, and it can forgo a Steel move as well since there aren't really physically defensive fairies. Earthquake hits the common fighting resists (Toxapex and Aegislash) super effectively, and hits most other things at least neutrally.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 294-348 (96.7 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

This is the set you probably want to use. Jolly lets you handle fast excadrills and rotoms. You are not "inherently walled by toxapex", you actually stand a good shot at OHKOing it after a boost. Bullet Punch is taken over Extreme Speed since it's better against common revenge killers in Darm-G and Dragapult. It's a little difficult to justify using this over Bisharp who has a much better priority option and Defiant but being able to delete Toxapex and Ferrothorn is nice. Basically Lucario seems like it would be fringe if anything in OU. In UU it seems like a much more viable pick.

A month ago, some people suggested Eldegoss might have a niche in OU where it could make use of Assault Vest and Rapid Spin or something like that. I wonder if it does have any merit as a special sponge or is it just bad?

Where is the darmanitan-galar picture where it has a big brain and wearing scarf and talking about leads

I swear i saw it on overused forums here but i somehow cant find it again, where is it??

Question is technically about something in ou forum so i hope it stays

A month ago, some people suggested Eldegoss might have a niche in OU where it could make use of Assault Vest and Rapid Spin or something like that. I wonder if it does have any merit as a special sponge or is it just bad?
Eldegoss is pretty bad. It's very passive and lets Pokemon such as Hydreigon, Hatterene, and Corviknight in almost entirely for free, while not actually checking a lot of Pokemon. Assault Vest sounds even worse because Eldegoss's movepool is already incredibly barren as is, it's undesirable to remove the ability to potentially punish Pokemon like Hydreigon with Stun Spore.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Where is the darmanitan-galar picture where it has a big brain and wearing scarf and talking about leads

I swear i saw it on overused forums here but i somehow cant find it again, where is it??

Question is technically about something in ou forum so i hope it stays
1577046355706.png
Stole this from Estronic in the On The Radar thread. Is it what you're looking for? Not really relevant to this thread but I figured I'd help out if I could.

Hi!

I was wondering if sheer force no longer prevents the recoil damage from life orb. I was playing showdown with sheer force copperajah with LO and he was taking recoil damage.

Also, does anyone have the math on whether heavy metal is better than sheer force? I guess it would be context dependent, but it would be nice to know if anyone had an opinion on this.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi!

I was wondering if sheer force no longer prevents the recoil damage from life orb. I was playing showdown with sheer force copperajah with LO and he was taking recoil damage.

Also, does anyone have the math on whether heavy metal is better than sheer force? I guess it would be context dependent, but it would be nice to know if anyone had an opinion on this.
The Life Orb damage is only negated if the Pokemon used a move that is affected by Sheer Force. So, if your Sheer Force Copperajah uses Earthquake (not boosted by Sheer Force), it will still take LO damage. If it uses Iron Head (which is affected by Sheer Force) it will take LO damage. Hope this helps.

I would imagine Heavy Metal is preferred most of the time since, generally speaking, a Heavy Slam boosted by Heavy Metal will do more damage than Sheer Force boosted Iron Head. Heavy Metal Copperajah is the heaviest Pokemon in the entire game, being nearly 600lbs heavier than Celesteela. Copperajah also likes to run Heat Crash, which is also benefited by Heavy Metal. Its other coverage moves, Power Whip and Earthquake, wouldn't be boosted by Sheer Force anyway.

I have a charizard that is a adamant nature with the ability of solor power, a sirfetched that is a adamant nature with the ability of steadfast, a grimmsnarl that is a adamant nature with the ability of prankster, a toxtricity that is a modest nature with the ability of punk rock, a grass type rotom that is a modest nature with the ability of levitate, a eiscue that is a jolly nature with the ability of ice face what should the best nature for them to be and what should i iv or ev train em

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I have a charizard that is a adamant nature with the ability of solor power, a sirfetched that is a adamant nature with the ability of steadfast, a grimmsnarl that is a adamant nature with the ability of prankster, a toxtricity that is a modest nature with the ability of punk rock, a grass type rotom that is a modest nature with the ability of levitate, a eiscue that is a jolly nature with the ability of ice face what should the best nature for them to be and what should i iv or ev train em
Most generally OU viable sets for these Pokemon would probably be:
:charizard: Solar Power Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
:sirfetch Scrappy Adamant 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
:grimmsnarl: Prankster Adamant 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe (Dual Screens) or 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SpD (Bulk Up)
:toxtricity: Punk Rock Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
:rotom-mow: Levitate Timid 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
:eiscue: Ice Face Jolly 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Most generally OU viable sets for these Pokemon would probably be:
:charizard: Solar Power Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
:sirfetch Scrappy Adamant 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
:grimmsnarl: Prankster Adamant 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe (Dual Screens) or 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SpD (Bulk Up)
:toxtricity: Punk Rock Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
:rotom-mow: Levitate Timid 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
:eiscue: Ice Face Jolly 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Thx alot m8 really needed help thank you

Hey all, ive been an avid fan of Pokemon for years and years now but i just recently got into the competitive scene and want to get better. Whats the best way to really get involved with the community and meet players, join tourneys and just be part of the experience?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hey all, ive been an avid fan of Pokemon for years and years now but i just recently got into the competitive scene and want to get better. Whats the best way to really get involved with the community and meet players, join tourneys and just be part of the experience?
Post in threads, play the game a lot, talk and meet active players on PS and discord, contribute, and play tournaments.

Message me with specific questions anytime, welcome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)