Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Know its banned here but asking for in game... I read that you cant pass mean look anymore with baton pass. How about block? If i bp that will opponent be abke to switch out?

what does the new Will-o-Wisp physical Dragapult set look like?
Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Darts
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

This is what's mostly run. It's a really strong set right now because Dragapult's one of the few Pokemon that can resist Azumarill's Aqua Jet; crippling it with Will-O-Wisp is really useful for a lot of teams. The rest should be self explanatory.

Know its banned here but asking for in game... I read that you cant pass mean look anymore with baton pass. How about block? If i bp that will opponent be abke to switch out?
This is a question that should be asked here.

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Darts
- Steel Wing
- U-turn

This is what's mostly run. It's a really strong set right now because Dragapult's one of the few Pokemon that can resist Azumarill's Aqua Jet; crippling it with Will-O-Wisp is really useful for a lot of teams. The rest should be self explanatory.

This is a question that should be asked here.
Apologizes if this isn't the place to ask, but as someone who likes to breed the Pokemon in game, how likely is it that the set ends up using Jolly down the line? I've gotten bitten going +ATK over +SPE enough that I've become apprehensive about it.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Apologizes if this isn't the place to ask, but as someone who likes to breed the Pokemon in game, how likely is it that the set ends up using Jolly down the line? I've gotten bitten going +ATK over +SPE enough that I've become apprehensive about it.
Apart from other Dragapult there's really nothing very relevant that Jolly outspeeds that Adamant doesn't. If you need your Dragapult to outspeed or at least speed tie with other Dragapult you can go with Jolly, but otherwise Adamant is the way to go, as the increased damage output can matter in a lot of cases. The same applies to Modest vs. Timid for special sets for what it's worth.
However, keep in mind that just because a set is good in OU doesn't mean it's good in cartridge formats; they're entirely different.

Not much of a poster here, but wondering how much people actually battle online in the game rather than showdown? Just trying to prep some teams for the new season, are you guys too? Or just mostly working on showdown stuff? Sorry if this seems out of place.

hi, id like to ask for general teambuilding tips (aside from the looking at the vr and such), have not played since last yr sm ou thinking about coming back and not sure where to start. like say, in sm ou i got to try and have a tapu lele/psychic resist, any mons that stand out most that i should try to have an answer to as off now?

ya, maybe its not the simplest question but idk whre else to ask. ty in advance if any1 has anything to offer.

Another question I now have is what mon could have a good core with this dragapult set? I have been testing and trying mons but they don't seem to fit in a core with this set
As mentioned above, stuff that appreciates the crippling of Azu, such as Urshifu, could pair well with Physical Wisp Pult. It might be worth noting that a burned Azu only has a 25% chance to OHKO Slowbro with Knock as well. Also, things that appreciate the Volc check Pult provides, such as Amoonguss, could work well.
I started breeding the Barraskewda Rain SS OS DLC Sample Team and didn't realise that Magearna is basically out of reach for me at the moment. Can you suggest any good substitutes for it? I'm new to competitive Pokémon and still have a lot to learn. Also, what role does Magearna play in the team?
A similar team that saw usage pre-dlc featured Life Orb Clefable, which could be a substitute to Magearna. Mag's main role is to throw off nukes in the form of Fleur and FB, and use Volt to maintain momentum, while tricking switchins like Chansey to cripple their longevity. While it heavily overshadows Clef in this role, that could prove a viable alternative.

Not much of a poster here, but wondering how much people actually battle online in the game rather than showdown? Just trying to prep some teams for the new season, are you guys too? Or just mostly working on showdown stuff? Sorry if this seems out of place.
Not really. Most in-game battling is done in VGC format, and Smogon 6v6 battles are pretty hard to find. However, if that's what you're looking for, the Wifi Forum could be the place to go.
hi, id like to ask for general teambuilding tips (aside from the looking at the vr and such), have not played since last yr sm ou thinking about coming back and not sure where to start. like say, in sm ou i got to try and have a tapu lele/psychic resist, any mons that stand out most that i should try to have an answer to as off now?

ya, maybe its not the simplest question but idk whre else to ask. ty in advance if any1 has anything to offer.
I'd definitely recommend having a Fighting and Dark resist, as Urshifu is a pretty prominent breaker. Additionally, something that can live a +6 Aqua Jet from Azu and cripple/RK it is pretty necessary to avoid losing at team preview. A Ghost resist/itemless mon that can help deal with Marowak-A is also appreciated. Finally, Answers to common setup sweepers like Magearna and Volcarona, such as Pain Split R-Heat, go a long way towards easing your matchup against common teams.

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
It's pretty hard to give any specific time, but they will be posted today. Asking these kind of questions in this forum is pretty pointless because we simply don't have a better answer than that; if you truly want to know, you could ask Marty, but that'd be pretty rude.
OK, will keep that in mind.

Where can I find the raw usage data for Overused and any other tier? Like is there one spot where I can find them all or do I need to go to different places on the forum for all of them?

so with tyranitar being ban there is a question that came back to me, do we know why moves like hidden power, persuit (whose lost is certainly the reason of the downfall of our dear tytar) etc, disappeared ?
also, do you think it’s just temporary ?

Is Skuntank now useful in OU?

Why is Mandibuzz in the Overused tier? It is one of my favorite Pokémon and I might use it in battles.

so with tyranitar being ban there is a question that came back to me, do we know why moves like hidden power, persuit (whose lost is certainly the reason of the downfall of our dear tytar) etc, disappeared ?
also, do you think it’s just temporary ?
It's because, in all likelihood, Gamefreak had to rush the game out before Christmas and ended up cutting massive amounts of content from the game which they are now selling back to us in the form of dlc.

However it seems like only Pokemon are returning so I doubt Pursuit or Hidden Power will come back unless they announce a third dlc. Then again Gamefreak has been jerking off VGC really hard this gen so I don't think it's completely out of the picture for these moves to return in the dlc as move tutors.

Tldr probably not but also maybe!?

Is Skuntank now useful in OU?

Why is Mandibuzz in the Overused tier? It is one of my favorite Pokémon and I might use it in battles.
Skuntank isn’t useful in OU. It never has been.

Mandibuzz’s usage comes from it being very bulky with access to Roost and Defog. It reliably tanks hits and gets rid of entry hazards. It also checks powerful Ghost-types like Dragapult and Alolan Marowak.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
It's because, in all likelihood, Gamefreak had to rush the game out before Christmas and ended up cutting massive amounts of content from the game which they are now selling back to us in the form of dlc.

However it seems like only Pokemon are returning so I doubt Pursuit or Hidden Power will come back unless they announce a third dlc. Then again Gamefreak has been jerking off VGC really hard this gen so I don't think it's completely out of the picture for these moves to return in the dlc as move tutors.

Tldr probably not but also maybe!?
The moveset removals felt a lot more intentional compared to the pokemon being removed, with most of the stuff being removed being either irrelevant or convoluted (hidden power being an absolute pain to breed for and return/frustration messing with rental teams). Pursuit is a bit of an outlier, maybe they thought psychic and ghost types didn't need such a hard counter?

Regardless these moves aren't coming back, they're flagged by home and the software recommends users delete the moves permanently, compared to removed signature moves that were restored later like Shore Up. So Tyranitar is staying bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)