Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are the pros and cons of Excadrill and Dracozolt in Gen 8 OU? What are the pros and cons of these two sand rushers? And more importantly, who is better in most situations?
Excadrill is the better Pokemon; it provides defensive utility due to its typing, an Electric immunity, and can provide teams with Rapid Spin, which is very valuable. Dracozolt is an underrated option that has great mixed breaking potential, but it is regarded as less consistent and harder to integrate onto teams.

What are the pros and cons of Excadrill and Dracozolt in Gen 8 OU? What are the pros and cons of these two sand rushers? And more importantly, who is better in most situations?
I just want to add to what Finch said; while Excadrill is certainly the better Pokémon, most sand builds can make room for both of them and are in fact better for it. I recommend using both, personally, for sand teams.

GeniusFromHoenn

is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Excadrill is the better Pokemon; it provides defensive utility due to its typing, an Electric immunity, and can provide teams with Rapid Spin, which is very valuable. Dracozolt is an underrated option that has great mixed breaking potential, but it is regarded as less consistent and harder to integrate onto teams.
thanks! the reply was quick I appreciate.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I'll do a comparison if you're still curious

Excadrill
- No Corviknight, Skarmory or Rotom wash? RIP
- Vulnerable to Rillaboom
- Typing gives it plenty of room to switch in
- This thing gets swords dance, RIP
- Low defensive stats offsets its impressive hp
- Resistant to the ever present stealth rocks
- Faster than Dracozolt

Dracozolt
- Bolt beak hurts, a lot to non resists
- Very large offensive movepool that includes stuff like fire blast, earthquake and draco meteor among others
- A mixed set is basically a sand rush Nidoking, with only specially defensive ground types capable of switching in
- It's typing can sometimes be inconsistent, depending on what it is facing due to all the fairies and ground types running around
- Lack of boosting move means it's sweep can sometimes fall short
- Not as vulnerable to Rillaboom as Excadrill
- Slower than Excadrill

So those are just some comparison between those two but as Finch and Bitio said, Excadrill is the better, safer and more consistent

drill is the better setter in most situations. It peaks about 550 speed with adamant, meaning that it gets more power in as well as better speed. Dracozolt provides the better coverage however. Drill also works well outside of sand thanks to the ability to spin. It also has it's own ways of beating defensive walls, primarily through set up or toxic. Also I forgot to mention it can work as a early game setter.

Both are very strong pokemon, but Excadrill is generally the more popular pick as it has more tools to break through a lot of its checks to some degree (Rock Slide or Toxic for zapdos/moltres, iron head flinches, SD boosts to muscle through Ferro/Lando), while Dracozolt basically has nothing to deal with its biggest checks (Swampert, Gastrodon, Hippo) and has to rely on its team to damage those. Also, since Dracozolt is reliant on moves with common immunities (Draco Meteor and Bolt Beak), it can be outpredicted easier than Excadrill, and is thus considered somewhat less consistent.

op by Celticpride

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering, to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Swagger unbanned???" or "Was Unaware nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help / info check the Orange Islands subforum; Uncharted Territory is for competitive discussion only.

As a reminder because something like this is posted often:
  • In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon nor abilities are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be banned, suspected, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon or abilities will be banned. Likewise, don't suggest that certain Pokémon or abilities should be unbanned.
  • Do NOT talk about dropping Pokemon from Ubers. This is not the place for that. PM a council member if you want more information.
Hey, Im new to smogon forums. My question is "why is flying gem on hawlucha banned" now I know the item of preference maybe be a type of seed but I love flying gem a lot :D

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I’d like to mention that while Dracozolt’s coverage often makes it a menace on the battlefield should it get in safely, it often gets worn down very fast due to Life Orb, and bolt beak being a contact move punishable by Ferrothorn and Rocky Helmet Pokémon such as Toxapex, even if it OHKOs them right there or can KO them the next turn afterwards. This downside is even more apparent when you realize that it’s even more vulnerable to priority, which not only damages it for quite large amounts of damage, but also prevents the power of Bolt Beak being doubled, which is where most of its power comes from.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Active OU ladder players
I don’t think you can assign an accurate percentile given the natural variance of the ladder, individual players’ rankings, and the fact that there are so many people laddering, many of them using multiple different names.

Top 500 would constitute the top few percentile, but that loses a lot of meaning when a vast majority of the lower ladder is abandoned / decayed alts.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t think you can assign an accurate percentile given the natural variance of the ladder, individual players’ rankings, and the fact that there are so many people laddering, many of them using multiple different names.

Top 500 would constitute the top few percentile, but that loses a lot of meaning when a vast majority of the lower ladder is abandoned / decayed alts.
Ah, good point there. Thanks for the quick replies!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)