Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What is the best way to play around and beat trick room teams? I'm asking because it seems like Emvee almost never loses to trick room regardless of whatever he is running it makes no difference. Yet I have trouble often again trick room teams and am trying to learn how to beat them consistently

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What is the best way to play around and beat trick room teams? I'm asking because it seems like Emvee almost never loses to trick room regardless of whatever he is running it makes no difference. Yet I have trouble often again trick room teams and am trying to learn how to beat them consistently
Depends on your team -- some offenses will naturally struggle as they lack the ability to pivot to burn turns, but most bulky-offense, balance, and bulkier teams will have this ability. Using your pivots and longevity to waste turns and put yourself in a position to punish them can go a long way. Another way of beating them is just not giving them enough room through overwhelming them offensively, but you are still going to need to be able to run out a few turns. Preparing for Pokemon like Melmetal and Crawdaunt is worthwhile regardless, but when facing Trick Room, it is especially important to keep in mind!

why does an ability like serene grace is not considered as disruptive as the moves banned in the evasion clause or ohko clause ?
because from my pov i see them all as a pure luck based strategy and therefore as unreliable as unfun to play against, so what am i missing ?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
why does an ability like serene grace is not considered as disruptive as the moves banned in the evasion clause or ohko clause ?
because from my pov i see them all as a pure luck based strategy and therefore as unreliable as unfun to play against, so what am i missing ?
For starters, Serene Grace being banned leads to Pokemon like Jirachi being banned due to lack of alternative — this degree of collateral is not in place with OHKO moves.

In addition, the impact it has is far less worrisome and seldom used as a controversial topic within the metagame. If this were to change, we could reevaluate at the appropriate point in time.

Let's talk tank Garchomp. Why is it that the recommended spread is physically defensive? It seems like to me Garchomp is more regularly switching into pokemon like zapdos/heatran/volc where having special defense would be better. Particularly if you are using leftovers I think special defense would make more sense, if using rocky helm I can definitely understand physically defensive.
And what is the thought process when deciding Garchomp's final move between Flamethrower/fire blast/protect/rest. Obviously only protect if you are running lefties, but then would rest more if you are running rocky helmet? And then the fire move would be more for punishing some specific mons like corviknight and ferrothorn I guess.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Let's talk tank Garchomp. Why is it that the recommended spread is physically defensive? It seems like to me Garchomp is more regularly switching into pokemon like zapdos/heatran/volc where having special defense would be better. Particularly if you are using leftovers I think special defense would make more sense, if using rocky helm I can definitely understand physically defensive.
Abusing Rough Skin to punish U-turn, Knock Off, and other contact moves is pretty vital. It's not like you need special bulk to check Heatran and Heat Wave Zap while Volcarona is not something you check more than once as is.
And what is the thought process when deciding Garchomp's final move between Flamethrower/fire blast/protect/rest. Obviously only protect if you are running lefties, but then would rest more if you are running rocky helmet? And then the fire move would be more for punishing some specific mons like corviknight and ferrothorn I guess.
Protect is viable with Leftovers, yes. Rest is good in general and helps replenish health to continue walling things like Zeraora. Fire move is intended for those Pokemon and Scizor, yes.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Protect can also help you against stuff like Specs Dragapult and prevent you from losing momentum. Rest can be very useful on bulkier teams, especially when paired with Heal Bell to be a more reliable longterm answer to stuff like Zeraora.
Generally, you should choose your last move(s) depending on what your team needs most. If you are really weak to Scizor, then go with a firemove. If you're scared of mons like Corviknight subbing and setting up on you, then Roar might be a smart solution for that. It always depends on what suits your team best.

Why does the smogon set for Specs Kyurem have Modest instead of Timid? Wouldn't you want to outspeed Lando-T to get the kill without taking an Earthquake or worse a Stone Edge?

Why does the smogon set for Specs Kyurem have Modest instead of Timid? Wouldn't you want to outspeed Lando-T to get the kill without taking an Earthquake or worse a Stone Edge?
The power of Modest is really incredible for Kyurem making it hit extremely hard in the opposing side with it's nearly unresisted coverage moves, though Timid could be used if you want to speed creep those targets which is normally done if you struggle against them since without Modest you do give up some power in favor for a speed tier which is not impressive already.

To add onto this, max speed Landorus is really rare. Most of the time, Landorus is either gonna be using a physically defensive spread or a specially defensive one. The only notable things you outpace with a Timid nature are Timid Nidoking (most run modest nowadays), Excadrill (which has been falling off hard recently) and a speed tie with Tapu Lele.

Imagine if you woke up one morning and found someone in your room with a gun to your head. They exclaim "use Stunfisk, both Galarian and regular form in OU. You don't have to win every game but you have to use both Pokémon in a way that is considered at least somewhat efficient."

What EV spreads and sets do you use to avoid death? What can make these Pokémon vaguely usable in the OU metagame?

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Imagine if you woke up one morning and found someone in your room with a gun to your head. They exclaim "use Stunfisk, both Galarian and regular form in OU. You don't have to win every game but you have to use both Pokémon in a way that is considered at least somewhat efficient."

What EV spreads and sets do you use to avoid death? What can make this Pokémon usable?
I'd let them kill me, but I'd probably go about using a using a spdef spread for Stunfisk and probably w a status spreading set w Static discharge and probably Toxic and for galarian Stunfisk I'd just die instead, way simpler since Galarian stunfisk just isn't great and has a waste of an ability.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
What EV spreads and sets do you use to avoid death? What can make this Pokémon usable?
Stunfisk is capable of checking Tornadus-Therian, Zeraora, Tapu Koko, and maybe even Heatran once over. With SR and dual STAB, it is still on the passive side, but with Wish support and something to check the other things Landorus-T or Garchomp otherwise would, it would not be the worst thing to use on a balance.

Stunfisk-Galar is perhaps a bit tougher, but you still check Tapu Koko and you can throw in Snap Trap + Yawn shenanigans. It would not be advisable, but again it is not the absolute worst Pokemon.

With this said, both would be strictly defensive and on the passive end, so proceed with caution.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

What EV spreads and sets do you use to avoid death? What can make these Pokémon vaguely usable in the OU metagame?
Its the simple answers simple questions thread man. :psygrump:

Stunfisk is capable of checking Tornadus-Therian, Zeraora, Tapu Koko, and maybe even Heatran once over. With SR and dual STAB, it is still on the passive side, but with Wish support and something to check the other things Landorus-T or Garchomp otherwise would, it would not be the worst thing to use on a balance.

Stunfisk-Galar is perhaps a bit tougher, but you still check Tapu Koko and you can throw in Snap Trap + Yawn shenanigans. It would not be advisable, but again it is not the absolute worst Pokemon.

With this said, both would be strictly defensive and on the passive end, so proceed with caution.
Thanks bro, you might have just saved my life. If anyone else has any ideas feel free to throw them in, especially for the ass-tier mon G-Stunfisk. Quickly, time may be a factor.

Stunfisk-Galar @ Air Balloon
Level: 100
Brave Nature
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 244 SpD
- Steel Beam
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Snap Trap

I guess you could try something like this, if you are not afraid of unleashing the wrath of g-stunfisk upon an unsuspecting OU.
With this set you can trap g slowking, pex(if it doesn't get a scald burn on the first try), maybe clef(snap into EQ into steel beam will probably kill it if it doesn't heal or set up cm, or yawn into double steel beam), melmetal without EQ, nidoking, tran, hilariously own hippo since it can't do anything to you, do the same to zapdos without heat wave(just EQ when it goes for roost), and you can even take out regular slowking with snap trap, EQ,EQ if it tries to come in on you and fight you in vain, aegislash(with this spread unboosted fully invested ada cc does 99.7% and you can OHKO blade form with EQ), ttar if it tries to switch into you with a bit of chip,excadrill, you have a 25% chance to OHKO weavile with steel beam, while it cant OHKO you back, and you can guaranteed put ferro and some dnite(if it switches into you) to sleep.
Now a lot of this depends on the opponent giving you an opening, but come on its g-stunfisk you gotta hope they play it a bit dumb.

any important tourney games where band drill was used? also do you guys think band drill + zone can work or is it just outclassed by kart / boom + zone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)