Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I guess maybe some weird imprison nonsense w those mew sets that are like transform imprison stuff
in that case probably roost is less common on those and as finch noted you might be able to bait ppl occasionally
According to the smogon useage stats for last month roost is the most used form of recovery on Mew, shortly followed by Softboiled. In fact, Recover isn't even listed in Mew's top 20 moves, so wouldn't a Lati w/Recover make it less susceptible to this Imprison strat?

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
According to the smogon useage stats for last month roost is the most used form of recovery on Mew, shortly followed by Softboiled. In fact, Recover isn't even listed in Mew's top 20 moves, so wouldn't a Lati w/Recover make it less susceptible to this Imprison strat?
huh, didnt actually know that

cool, then probably recover is better haha

but i mean this is like, we're talking miniscule differences here it doesnt really matter at all

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Why do I sometimes see Sludge Wave on Galarian Slowbro? Isn't Shell Side Arm nearly always better since it can do physical damage if it would do more?
I think that if you are using a setup set (which is the niche of galarian Slowbro over Slowking), Shell Side Arm will probably only be physical against Blissey and will not do much more than a Nasty Plot boosted Sludge Wave, so maybe some persons rather take 5 more base power. Now, I think that the 20% Poison chance instead of 10% makes Shell Side Arm the best choice overall, even if on a Nasty Plot QDQC Slowbro you may just want to maximize your power so that you can get a maximum of OKHO after a Nasty Plot.

Last edited:
Why do I sometimes see Sludge Wave on Galarian Slowbro? Isn't Shell Side Arm nearly always better since it can do physical damage if it would do more?
shell side arm doesn't target the defender's lower defense using slowbro's special attack. rather, it becomes either a physical attack or a special attack depending on the defender's lower defensive stat, which means you can't exactly control whether the move will be physical or special. for clarity, this is the difference between shell side arm and photon geyser, which works the same way but is decided based on necrozma's own attacking stats.
This is why g-slowbro has equal base atk and spatk. in order for shell side arm to do consistent damage as both a physical and special attack, you need to properly invest in physical attack as well, but since you'll be using only special attacks anyway outside of it you get a lot more value from running sludge wave / bomb as poison stab and psyshock to target special walls. This is even more true for nasty plot sets, as already stated.
That is, unless you are running some mixed offensive assault vest set, in which case shell side arm might be more consistent.

shell side arm doesn't target the defender's lower defense using slowbro's special attack. rather, it becomes either a physical attack or a special attack depending on the defender's lower defensive stat, which means you can't exactly control whether the move will be physical or special. for clarity, this is the difference between shell side arm and photon geyser, which works the same way but is decided based on necrozma's own attacking stats.
This is why g-slowbro has equal base atk and spatk. in order for shell side arm to do consistent damage as both a physical and special attack, you need to properly invest in physical attack as well, but since you'll be using only special attacks anyway outside of it you get a lot more value from running sludge wave / bomb as poison stab and psyshock to target special walls. This is even more true for nasty plot sets, as already stated.
That is, unless you are running some mixed offensive assault vest set, in which case shell side arm might be more consistent.
I think that if you are using a setup set (which is the niche of galarian Slowbro over Slowking), Shell Side Arm will probably only be physical against Blissey and will not do much than a Nasty Plot boosted Sludge Wave, so maybe some persons rather take 5 more base power. Now, I think that the 20% Poison chance instead of 10% makes Shell Side Arm the best choice overall, even if on a Nasty Plot QDQC Slowbro you may just want to maximize your power so that you can get a maximum of OKHO after a Nasty Plot.
Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression that it would pick physical or special based on how much damage it would do to the target rather than the defense stat.

Oh thanks. While I'm on it, why does Heatran only run 20 speed evs instead of the usual a hundred twenty something?
It's for the same reason, speed creeping uninvested Heatran. Instead of outspeeding with 4 you do with 20-24-28-whatever just to be safe vs Heatran and things EVd to outspeed it like iron defense magnezone.
128 outspeeds modest zone so if your team needs it go ahead and use them. It does cut quite a bit of bulk so I hardly ever use 128 speed anymore. Cutting down on speed also allows you do invest on defense to better deal with weavile and zolt in a pinch

I cannot find anywhere else to ask this-where can I provide feedback for the SM OU Heatran set? It has lava plume instead of magma storm as default which is horrible and must be changed.

Katy

Banned deucer.
I cannot find anywhere else to ask this-where can I provide feedback for the SM OU Heatran set? It has lava plume instead of magma storm as default which is horrible and must be changed.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-simple-question-simple-answer-thread.3685982/

this is the best way to ask about SM OU sets, regarding Lava Plume it isnt that bad by default, you just have the change it to Magma Storm if you like Magma Storm more. Although Lava Plume can give you some annoying burn chances on targets such as (Mega) Garchomp, Landorus-T, (Mega) Tyranitar, and the likes, which attempt to check Heatran. So the default isn't that bad per say. If you have any more questions regarding SM OU the link above is the best way to ask such questions away.

Hope this helped :)

If I want to speed creep all these defensive Landorus-T that are not fully invested in speed with my Mamoswine, which speed tier should I aim for?

Additionnally, if I want to ask for help about a half-stub of a team I have, what is the most appropriate topic to do so?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If I want to speed creep all these defensive Landorus-T that are not fully invested in speed with my Mamoswine, which speed tier should I aim for?

Additionnally, if I want to ask for help about a half-stub of a team I have, what is the most appropriate topic to do so?
Probably hit 242ish but I’d consider going 254 for Modest Heatran even and at that point maxing out speed is plausible as well.

You can ask here or in the rate my team channel in the OU discord

ayo what’s the new timid Corv set that I keep bumping into on ladder?
From what I can infer, it's something along these lines. Running 200 Spe with a Jolly nature hits 242 speed, which has the obvious benefit of outpacing all Magnezone sets and avoiding the Magnet Pull trap via U-turn, but it also creeps 252 Spe Pokemon with 70 Base Speed, most notably Adamant Bisharp. The reduction in bulk is noticeable, however.

What are the best Scizor sets in the meta right now?
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

mixed defenses pivot, usually bullet punch roost uturn swords dance with heavy-duty boots. this is the most common set and spread I've seen recently.
its niche is checking grass, weavile, lele and kyurem on specific volturn bulky offenses. the swords dance slot can feature knock off or defog as well, but I would never run scizor without uturn in this meta as its role in the meta is being a pivot.
sd+3 attacks is not very common and I would only run it on ho with sand tomb OR with a very good pex breaker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)