Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Which version/strategy of Wash Rotom is seeing the most usage post-Home?
252 HP / 252 Def or SpD variants running Thunder Wave / Will O Wisp, Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, Protect. Usually runs Tera Fairy, but can run Poison or Fire.

Scarf is still common, as well as some usage of Sub Nasty plot.

what eves do offensive covert cloak ghold run? Imma tryna speed creep but can't figure out the correct eves. ik they run max spA for stall and water garg. But they also put some into def/hp.

Hello, how come the 3D models of the 9G starters are still not on their strategy sheet, when they have been on Showdown for months?
Screenshot_20230809_080109_com.android.chrome.jpg

Not sure if this is actually simple, but figured this is the best place to ask. What determines if a defensive Pokemon should invest into it'a weaker defense stat over it's stronger one. For example Garganacl primarily use SpD sets despite it being the weaker of the two defense stats while Corviknight focuses on its stronger defense stat. Skeledirge meanwhile seems to have switched from doing this and is now investing fully into its DEF. I'm going to assume it's just a case of what moves the Pokemon are looking to take, but was curious if there is more to it.

Not sure if this is actually simple, but figured this is the best place to ask. What determines if a defensive Pokemon should invest into it'a weaker defense stat over it's stronger one. For example Garganacl primarily use SpD sets despite it being the weaker of the two defense stats while Corviknight focuses on its stronger defense stat. Skeledirge meanwhile seems to have switched from doing this and is now investing fully into its DEF. I'm going to assume it's just a case of what moves the Pokemon are looking to take, but was curious if there is more to it.
Well in the case of Corviknight I have seen people advocate for SpD sets even if Def ones are its most common right now.

In the other cases, it's as you say: what does the Pokemon need to be able to switch into and survive? Skeledirge is mainly employed as an Unaware stop to Set-up, and most of OU's Boosters are either Physical or the Special ones are things that don't always carry coverage it cares about (CM Valiant without Shadow Ball for example). Garg meanwhile tends to be going for a neutral typing via Tera and only needs to outlast what it Salt Cures rather than survive long enough to both keep healed and beat/force out the Booster, so it benefits from its all around bulk more than dealing with one side at the expense of the other.

Well in the case of Corviknight I have seen people advocate for SpD sets even if Def ones are its most common right now.

In the other cases, it's as you say: what does the Pokemon need to be able to switch into and survive? Skeledirge is mainly employed as an Unaware stop to Set-up, and most of OU's Boosters are either Physical or the Special ones are things that don't always carry coverage it cares about (CM Valiant without Shadow Ball for example). Garg meanwhile tends to be going for a neutral typing via Tera and only needs to outlast what it Salt Cures rather than survive long enough to both keep healed and beat/force out the Booster, so it benefits from its all around bulk more than dealing with one side at the expense of the other.
So it's more or less what you'd expect. Thanks for the info.

So I never fully understood how the Tera mechanic works.
If for example you use Tera normal on dragonite, will it lose its stab on dragon attacks and only gain normal stab, or will it keep it's dragon stab?
And if it uses Tera dragon it will get stab x2 on dragon attacks is that correct?
Thanks!

So I never fully understood how the Tera mechanic works.
If for example you use Tera normal on dragonite, will it lose its stab on dragon attacks and only gain normal stab, or will it keep it's dragon stab?
And if it uses Tera dragon it will get stab x2 on dragon attacks is that correct?
Thanks!
You keep your existing STAB bonuses, and either gain STAB on a new type, or gain a 2x STAB bonus if it's an existing type. The one interaction that is tricksy is with Adaptability; you lose the Adaptability bonus on any type(s) you no longer have, and Adaptability + same-type tera bonus is a net 2.25x, not 2.5x.

So sticky web is supposed to activate and lower speed before booster energy/the paradox pokemon abilities activate, and cause them to have another stat increased instead; surely enough, this is indeed what happens the majority of the time. However, in some rare occasions, booster energy will activate before webs and boost the paradox mon's speed regardless, before webs drop the pokemon's speed stat. Why is this? Is there any (in)consistency behind this?

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
So sticky web is supposed to activate and lower speed before booster energy/the paradox pokemon abilities activate, and cause them to have another stat increased instead; surely enough, this is indeed what happens the majority of the time. However, in some rare occasions, booster energy will activate before webs and boost the paradox mon's speed regardless, before webs drop the pokemon's speed stat. Why is this? Is there any (in)consistency behind this?
I was somewhat curious by this, so I did some testing on showdown, and came to this conclusion:

Booster Energy activates before a Sticky Web Drop, While Quark Drive/Protosynthesis activate after the Sticky Web Drop

Attempted this with both Electric Terrain and Sun.

A note to mention is that if a a pokemon is running both Booster Energy as well as being in it's respective weather or terrain, it will prioritize the ability as not to waste the booster energy, actually causing the pokemon to lose speed even if it's holding booster energy.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1922889873-ypmz7akwl83c4zmp75vzyibiyubp2bqpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1922888590-p49od1o7ay2u1sr10kinibjsvlys3zdpw

Can Mirror Coat be used whilst wearing an Assault Vest? I'd test it myself but now suddenly nobody wants to hit me with a special attack.

I was somewhat curious by this, so I did some testing on showdown, and came to this conclusion:

Booster Energy activates before a Sticky Web Drop, While Quark Drive/Protosynthesis activate after the Sticky Web Drop

Attempted this with both Electric Terrain and Sun.

A note to mention is that if a a pokemon is running both Booster Energy as well as being in it's respective weather or terrain, it will prioritize the ability as not to waste the booster energy, actually causing the pokemon to lose speed even if it's holding booster energy.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1922889873-ypmz7akwl83c4zmp75vzyibiyubp2bqpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1922888590-p49od1o7ay2u1sr10kinibjsvlys3zdpw
Truth is that we don't know(?) We had this replay a few months ago where both scenarios happened (BE -> Webs and Webs -> BE), I also reported it back then. When Clas and King Neodude tested on cart it seemed like its supposed to always be BE -> Webs, but it seems to always be a coin toss on PS!

Is there a place I can view teams that are popular/have been used in tournaments?
I know copying other peoples' teams is kinda lame, I just want to see some examples of solid teams to use as a baseline.

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there a place I can view teams that are popular/have been used in tournaments?
I know copying other peoples' teams is kinda lame, I just want to see some examples of solid teams to use as a baseline.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sv-ou-sample-teams.3712513/

Sample teams have a lot of success via the ladder as well as in tournament, I think this would be a great start. RMT is also a decent place to check out if you're more into reading the detail of how to use the team.

Has someone an idea for a good core partner of hisui zoroark?
On the smogon page of zoroark it is recommended to have a physical wallbreaker like baxcalibur or kingambit as an illusion partner, that would lure in physical walls.
I suppose this would work best for the choice specs set.
For the nasty plot set ideally a pokemon that could also have nasty plot would be better, but enhances zoark good with each other's weakness. Maybe hydreigon would be a good idea here? Im just looking for ideas to start a team. If someone already has a team featuring hisuian zoroark illusion mind games, sharing would be also appreciated :)

Last edited:

awyp

Has someone an idea for a good core partner of hisui zoroark?
On the smogon page of zoroark it is recommended to have a physical wallbreaker like baxcalibur or kingambit as an illusion partner, that would lure in physical walls.
I suppose this would work best for the choice specs set.
For the nasty plot set ideally a pokemon that could also have nasty plot would be better, but enhances zoark good with each other's weakness. Maybe hydreigon would be a good idea here? Im just looking for ideas to start a team. If someone already has a team featuring hisuian zoroark illusion mind games, sharing would be also appreciated :)
Personally I would say double ghost is the best offensive pairing to use the defensive capabilities of Zoro-H. So pairing Zoro-H with Dragapult or Gholdengo is very ideal in fishing for Shadow Balls.

Does physical Enamorus have any legs other than the merits of surprise? No drawback 120 BP move that also boosts you, access to Substitute (or Misty Terrain?) for cover, okay coverage seems like it should see some usage.

Personally I would say double ghost is the best offensive pairing to use the defensive capabilities of Zoro-H. So pairing Zoro-H with Dragapult or Gholdengo is very ideal in fishing for Shadow Balls.
I understand, although that is a bit risky if course since it can also lead to dark attacks, which will be problematic for all of them.. But using nasty plot and shadow ball woukd definitely be plausible for "gholdengo" :)

Does a Fire Typing cure an inflicted Burn or only prevent the status from landing? For example, if I WoW a Kingambit or Flame-Body procs on a Cinderace U-Turn, will they return the Burn after Teraing/Reverting to a Fire Type later?

awyp

Does a Fire Typing cure an inflicted Burn or only prevent the status from landing? For example, if I WoW a Kingambit or Flame-Body procs on a Cinderace U-Turn, will they return the Burn after Teraing/Reverting to a Fire Type later?
Can confirm if you get burnt with a mon that is not a fire type and then you decide to tera fire, you will continue to burn regardless of changing to tera fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)