Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What are some good ways to deal with Garganacl effectively, and the different tera types it can run? I have been struggling to deal with the Pokemon whenever I have encountered it with a tera type on the ladder.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are some good ways to deal with Garganacl effectively, and the different tera types it can run? I have been struggling to deal with the Pokemon whenever I have encountered it with a tera type on the ladder.
CM Hatterene, Specs Valiant, Annihilape, Taunt, and Haze to name some. It is a bit Tera dependent as you see it run Water, Flying, Steel, Grass, Flying, and even Fairy here and there. The key is upkeep of pressure or having a concrete gameplan for it!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
CM Hatterene, Specs Valiant, Annihilape, Taunt, and Haze to name some. It is a bit Tera dependent as you see it run Water, Flying, Steel, Grass, Flying, and even Fairy here and there. The key is upkeep of pressure or having a concrete gameplan for it!
CM Hatterene? Doesn't Hatt get affected by salt cure?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
Does a hyper offense team with screens grimmsnarl + shed tail cyclizar need hazards or would that be too slow?

Cinderace was in Ubers in Gen 8. However, they have since nerfed Libero/Protean. Will Cinderace be joining OU when it releases at the end of the week?

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
What ev/nature spread does a Taunt+Bulk Up Quaquaval generally run?
Taunt + Bulk up is a rather redundant set when Quaquaval can take advantage of a free turn to click Swords Dance. There are only 2 current sets I know of, which is SD 3a, and CB.

Quaquaval @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner

No idea what the spread is for, got it from one of my boys. But it hits 282, a healthy speed against specific Rotom-Wash and Garchomp spreads. But you'd have to ask someone else for an explanation.

Quaquaval @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner
- Wave Crash

Since there's a Sleep Clause, why is there no Freeze Clause? Their effects are similar after all.
Never, freeze isn't as easy to apply as sleep is. Spore and Hypnosis are really easy to use and almost every move that freezes has it at a 10% chance, even then, there are moves that break out of freeze, not sleep.

1LDK

It's never going to get better
is a Top Team Rater
what is the spread for a DDDragonite, max atk/max spe adamant? i know the movesets but i have never seen the spreads now that i think about it

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
what is the spread for a DDDragonite, max atk/max spe adamant? i know the movesets but i have never seen the spreads now that i think about it
:dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner / Roost / Fire Punch

This is the most common one I see (Offensively), bulky sets can look like (Meant to outspeed base 100 Speed after 1 DD):

:dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

This question is tied to singles but also vgc. When would you want to use trick room and when would you want to use tailwind? For example, i am building a team of salazzle, appleton, pawmot, kingsgambit, gastrodon, and drifblim. I am not sure which move to use on drifblim, tailwind or trick room. I do mostly have slow pokemon, but trickroom would screw over salazzle and pawmot right? Tailwind benifits everyone but not as much for my very slow pokemon like king and appleton.

I am just wondering how does one decide which would be better?

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
This question is tied to singles but also vgc. When would you want to use trick room and when would you want to use tailwind? For example, i am building a team of salazzle, appleton, pawmot, kingsgambit, gastrodon, and drifblim. I am not sure which move to use on drifblim, tailwind or trick room. I do mostly have slow pokemon, but trickroom would screw over salazzle and pawmot right? Tailwind benifits everyone but not as much for my very slow pokemon like king and appleton.

Idk about VGC but in singles the answer is usually neither

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor

I'll ignore any topic of VGC, considering this is OU.
Trick Room has a history of being a niche tactic in singles, it can work on some ladders, but in a bo3, it's unlikely that it will be a viable option against an opponent. If you are to use Trick Room, what you want is at least 2 setters, 2 viable setters, and then like 4 wallbreakers / setup sweepers. Cresselia, Hatterene, Porygon2 and Slowbro have a history of being very good setters, but of course some of these are currently unreleased or not in gen 9, so it seems that this already niche strategy, is nowhere near any form of viability. But ideally, you want slower mons for trick room.

As for Tailwind, it has never been a viable strategy, let alone niche in fact. There are nowhere near the amount of Pokemon available to take advantage of Tailwind as there are Trick Room. In addition to this, Tailwind increases speed by +2, Trick Room just reverses turn order based on the priority bracket, which is then based on speed.

Whats my counterplay against Glimm/Ghold teams?
To counter Hazard Stack teams, your own team doesn't want go be too hazard weak itself. Boots Skeledirge with a bulky hazard removal such as Corviknight or Rotom Wash. However because of Gholdengo, something a bit more threatening to it such as Iron Tusk or Iron Treads would bare against it more nicely. Otherwise, fast breakers such as Pult, Scarf Chi-Yu and Gholdengo can fake advantage of the setup sweepers on the team. Similarly, Specs Chi-Yu and Swords Dance Chien-Pao.

I'll ignore any topic of VGC, considering this is OU.
Trick Room has a history of being a niche tactic in singles, it can work on some ladders, but in a bo3, it's unlikely that it will be a viable option against an opponent. If you are to use Trick Room, what you want is at least 2 setters, 2 viable setters, and then like 4 wallbreakers / setup sweepers. Cresselia, Hatterene, Porygon2 and Slowbro have a history of being very good setters, but of course some of these are currently unreleased or not in gen 9, so it seems that this already niche strategy, is nowhere near any form of viability. But ideally, you want slower mons for trick room.

As for Tailwind, it has never been a viable strategy, let alone niche in fact. There are nowhere near the amount of Pokemon available to take advantage of Tailwind as there are Trick Room. In addition to this, Tailwind increases speed by +2, Trick Room just reverses turn order based on the priority bracket, which is then based on speed.

To counter Hazard Stack teams, your own team doesn't want go be too hazard weak itself. Boots Skeledirge with a bulky hazard removal such as Corviknight or Rotom Wash. However because of Gholdengo, something a bit more threatening to it such as Iron Tusk or Iron Treads would bare against it more nicely. Otherwise, fast breakers such as Pult, Scarf Chi-Yu and Gholdengo can fake advantage of the setup sweepers on the team. Similarly, Specs Chi-Yu and Swords Dance Chien-Pao.
Thanks for the advice for OU. I generally was curious about the moves for both formats. Im actually not sure where to ask vgc questions here, as when i go to the vgc forums i dont see a simple questions just analysis posts.

That is interesting about how you want multiple setters in a team for ou, but makes sense. Now that drifblim gets trick room though could it be useable in ou with it, or just too fast? I like the idea of trick room and flare orb for a big boost in damage, with strength sap for healing, then shadow ball and coverage like calm mind or thunderbolt or icy win(but that may not pair well with trickroom. Maybe trick to pass the flame orb)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)