Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Is it ok to be bad at laddering but good in other areas like teambuilding, tours, etc?
I mean, I don't really understand what answer you're expecting to that question when it's a bit subjective. The ladder is the ladder, some people find if easier to rise than have success in tours and vice versa. There are some ladder players who don't have a good history with tours. You can have knowledge of a metagame and have understanding of the game, but sometimes applying this practically doesn't work out for some people. (I.e Very big on C&C, RMT and Tutoring etc. But not good with actually battling)

Good evening, I would like to participate in the tournament on Monday 23rd and this will be my very first Smogon tournament, so I have a question: at what time will this tournament start (I live in France, I specify)?
Thank you for your reply^^

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Good evening, I would like to participate in the tournament on Monday 23rd and this will be my very first Smogon tournament, so I have a question: at what time will this tournament start (I live in France, I specify)?
Thank you for your reply^^
OST isn’t a live tour

Likely suspects
I know that it looks like most people are asking for a Pao suspect, but do you think that a future Garg suspect is possible? Either having to run an item mostly for it or having to resort to PP stall salt cure in several match ups doesn't sound like a healty thing in my opinion.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I know that it looks like most people are asking for a Pao suspect, but do you think that a future Garg suspect is possible? Either having to run an item mostly for it or having to resort to PP stall salt cure in several match ups doesn't sound like a healty thing in my opinion.
Depends on how the metagame shapes up and the community surveys. I personally voted ban on Garg, but there’s a lot of time and a lot of decisions left.

I have got a question about the tournament that is happening right now, does it place the bad players with the bad players and the good players with the good players?

my rank in pokemon showdown has never exceeded 1300 (or at least not for long) so I don't want to be crusshed from people whose rank is in the 2000's

Last edited:
I have got a question about the tournament that is happening right now, does it place the bad players with the bad players and the good players with the good players?

my rank in pokemon showdown has never exceeded 1300 (or at least not for long) so I don't want to be crusshed from people whose rank is in the 2000's
Not sure about which tour you are talking about but i assume it's OST or a seasonal. Almost every individual tour on the site has a randomized bracket created by a "public" smogon tool (to avoid hosts helping some people) so it could happen that you get paired with someone more experienced and usually stronger than you

Milo

I'm Your Man

It's not a seeded tournament. This means that all matchups are randomized. When a tournament is seeded, it matches certain players against other certain players, i.e in a seeded tournament of 16, the #1 player would first play #16. To read more about tournaments, see here

It's not a seeded tournament. This means that all matchups are randomized. When a tournament is seeded, it matches certain players against other certain players, i.e in a seeded tournament of 16, the #1 player would first play #16. To read more about tournaments, see here
the question has already been answered but thanks.
this tournament does seem pretty unfair.

• Angry
Reactions: AM

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
This is ridiculous js. OST is randomly generated pairings, which is as fair as can be. Your ranking on the ladder doesn’t suddenly classify you in some specific segment of the playerbase — we all play the same game. If you’re only able to reach rank 1300, then ofc someone who is more experienced and has achieved a higher rank may be favored, but that’s not unfair as you’re both still playing the same game.

Milo

I'm Your Man
To add on to the above, I think you might be confused. I said that OST is NOT seeded, which means randomised. I also answered your original question which had not been answered.

But as Finch has said, there are gonna be good players, there are gonna be bad players. Better and Worse. If they happen to be matched up against each other then that's just the game, and its not decided on the matchup.

How common is Speed investment on :Scizor:?
The moveset stats are a good resource for questions like this. The 1695 stats from last month show the following spreads for Scizor:

Code:
+----------------------------------------+
| Spreads                                |
| Adamant:248/252/0/0/8/0 17.529%        |
| Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 17.289%        |
| Adamant:240/252/0/0/0/16 13.783%       |
| Adamant:0/252/0/0/4/252  7.391%        |
| Adamant:232/252/0/0/0/24  5.136%       |
| Adamant:0/252/4/0/0/252  4.074%        |
| Other 34.797%                          |
+----------------------------------------+
As you can see, 1/3 of all Scizor spreads are listed under "Other" and don't show, so this won't be a perfectly accurate picture. Still, basic eyeballing says that most Scizors run either 0 Speed or a small amount of creep, but speedy Scizors aren't unheard of on ladder either.

Milo

I'm Your Man
How do I make sprites/3d models appear when I post something on here from pokepaste? Like this image for example.
View attachment 484614
you can do so with text code

Code:
:sv/[pokemon]:
you can then do a Pokemon for the sprite used in SV. Similarly you can do the same with past generations.
Code:
:bw/haxorus:
will turn into :bw/haxorus:
Code:
:sv/haxorus:
will turn into :sv/haxorus:

I'm after something specially defensive with the the ability to pivot preferred. I have a team of tusk, meowsca, cinderace, kingambit, azumaril and dravopult and I was wondering how effect a specially defensive rotom-w would be in place of azumaril and how viable is such a set in general?

Milo

I'm Your Man
how much usage pokemon need to have in order to go to each tier?

someone needs to fix smogon's website because "4.52%" is apparently the same percernatage usage for all tiers
View attachment 484818View attachment 484819View attachment 484820
It's exactly that, 4.52%. What I means is, if a UU Pokémon for example has above 4.52% usage in OU, then it will raise to OU. Similarly, if a Pokémon in OU has less than 4.52% usage, then it will drop down to UU and so on so forth. This applies to the other tiers as well.

How do I go about asking if I can make a thread for Dragalge in OU? I think its viable enough for me to want to showcase it as a Dragalge stan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)