Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
As it says in the title, please make sure to read this before posting a thread in the subforum. If you have a question that can be answered in one post, please ask it here. Threads are intended for discussion and those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation.

When posting in the thread, please follow these guidelines:
  1. Make sure that your post is relevant to XY Ubers.
  2. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  3. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  4. At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that
  6. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.
  7. If you're new to Smogon and looking for help getting aquainted, check out the Mentorship Forum.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will [insert Pokemon here] / [insert Move here] / [insert Item here] be banned?

It will not.

When can I use Pokemon like Groudon and Kyogre?
We will be making two ladders on Pokemon Showdown. The official ladder, which will be located in Singles, will only allow Pokemon that are currently available in X/Y. There will then be an unofficial ladder located in Other Metagames called Pokebank Ubers, which will allow the Pokemon that are unavailable until Pokebank is released on the 27th of December. These will use 5th Gen stats and movesets until more details are available. This thread should explain how to handle the difference on the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW what kind of a spread would you suggest for Yvetal to counter physical ghost arceus ? Just go Max Hp/Max Def ? Or I may afford for example to go with just Max HP (as I would still enjoy using this guy for taking special hits). So yes, I'm just looking for magical number of EVs which is enough. Yes, it's for Pokebank Ubers. Thank you for answer.

A spread of 252 HP/184 Def allows you to avoid the 2HKO from a +2 Shadow Force (its strongest attack) while Foul Play obviously OHKOs. This should give you a decent amount of health after tanking its attack, and if SR is on the field it allows you to switch out and then come back in on a non-attacking move from a slower mon and Roost back up.

I can't see this specifically written anywhere, but I'm sure if I made a guess it'd be the right one - for the sake of being the person to ask it and have it pointed out, however:

Are the Pokemon with topics here the preliminary Ubers list, or are they here because they will see use in the Ubers metagame? Or, both?

Later, we are just posting topics to discuss Pokemon in their marked metagames. This doesn't reflect the actual state of the tier and you can add any new ones that you would like to discuss.

what´s about xerneas? it seems pretty offensive and has an amazing boosting move.
other pokemon perhaps will be very usefull in the tier, like perhaps will be goodra, what do you think?

Xerneas has 18 pages of discussion about it and the general consensus, which I concur with, is that it is one of the best sweepers in the game and every team needs at least two checks to it. (Aegislash, Lugia, some Arceus formes, Scizor/Lucario, Ho-oh)

In Pokebank, while Goodra's high special defense does make it a p good Kyogre check, for the most part it is outshone by Dialga in the defensive role due to the later's Ice neutrality, higher offenses, and access to SR. Offensive sets are outshone by pretty much every other Dragon in the teir since 100 atk/ 110 spatk is pathetically weak by the standards of Uber dragons.

In the Offical metagame, Goodra is still subpar; however it probably (ugh...) is the best Dragon and thus does have a bit of a niche since Steel-types are much less common so it can fire off Draco Meteors while tanking hits with dat SpDef. You are giving the "I'm going to crack 60% usage" Xerneas free set-up with him though so be careful.

Xerneas has 18 pages of discussion about it and the general consensus, which I concur with, is that it is one of the best sweepers in the game and every team needs at least two checks to it. (Aegislash, Lugia, some Arceus formes, Scizor/Lucario, Ho-oh)

In Pokebank, while Goodra's high special defense does make it a p good Kyogre check, for the most part it is outshone by Dialga in the defensive role due to the later's Ice neutrality, higher offenses, and access to SR. Offensive sets are outshone by pretty much every other Dragon in the teir since 100 atk/ 110 spatk is pathetically weak by the standards of Uber dragons.

In the Offical metagame, Goodra is still subpar; however it probably (ugh...) is the best Dragon and thus does have a bit of a niche since Steel-types are much less common so it can fire off Draco Meteors while tanking hits with dat SpDef. You are giving the "I'm going to crack 60% usage" Xerneas free set-up with him though so be careful.
xerneas isnt nearly as good as you think it is man

also, goodra is not viable (at least in the current pokebank metagame) <- He says that in the first line smh ~mm2

Hey, I'm relatively new to the competitive pokemon scene and just want to ask a quick question about team comp. Within our social group we are hosting a tournament (sometime after pokebank release) and we are allowed only 1 Uber. What would a be a good choice for an uber (none that require special keys or passes like deoxys, mew etc) and a team to follow up? Also i would like to play a more aggressive style. Thanks if you could help :)

Hey, I'm relatively new to the competitive pokemon scene and just want to ask a quick question about team comp. Within our social group we are hosting a tournament (sometime after pokebank release) and we are allowed only 1 Uber. What would a be a good choice for an uber (none that require special keys or passes like deoxys, mew etc) and a team to follow up? Also i would like to play a more aggressive style. Thanks if you could help :)
Kyogre + Swift Swim imo

If you want a swift swim team with kyogre, other members to it could be kabutops (swift swim) and ferrothorn (anticipation ferrothorn might be preferable because in-game people tend to have random stuff like fire punch hitmonchan).

Another choice could be ho-oh, which works incredibly well by itself but will require something on your team to have rapid spin or defog to get rid of rocks, preferably forretress for rapid spin as it can also set up hazards, and latias if you want defog. Ho-oh works very well on the same team as a ferrothorn because they are both tanky and can both heal, but essentially, they resist each other's weaknesses!

Since you're opponent will only have one uber and the rest OU, you could just pick the pokemon which you think will overpower and rip apart a non-uber team the most. Arceus. Unfortunately, that requires a magic flute, so the next best, probably mewtwo. It has very nice coverage with moves like fire blast, aura sphere, etc and its stats are incredible. It outspeeds most things while OHKOing most things while also having reasonably decent defences. Pretty much the only thing against it is its ultra shitty typing.

but you now have only five turns to use rain, that gives you tree turns to sweep with another pokemon.
and what do you think about yveltal? i´ve heard that it´s better than xerneas.
perhaps now leads will change a lot

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
but you now have only five turns to use rain, that gives you tree turns to sweep with another pokemon.
and what do you think about yveltal? i´ve heard that it´s better than xerneas.
perhaps now leads will change a lot
You can still use Damp Rock Kyogre with stuff like Prankster Tornadus or Thundurus (perfectly viable) if you wanna try SwSw strategies. Ferro usage decreasing helps out Kingdra and friends for sure.

Yveltal is excellent. It's more versatile than Xerneas, but not necessarily better than it per se. They largely do different things. Xerneas IMO is a bit overrated although still a great mon.

The most lead changes we'll probably see is a drop in Deo-S leads due to Defog. Other than that there probably won't be too much of a difference. I've seen a few Sticky Web Smeargle leads though.

Anybody can make any thread for a pokemon they feel is worth discussion. (imo Blaziken is worth it I just can't be assed to do one)

Going for a nature other than Modest on Xerneas ('cuz Geomancer is so flavor-of-the-month). What other natures are useful for other sets? Timid? Naive? Any good defensive ones? Thanks in advance.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I'm planning on breeding a shiny Honedge - I'm wondering what's the best set in the PokeBank Ubers metagame? I think the King's Shield + 3 attacks sets might be the best, and it has a Quiet nature, but I'm not sure.
What Nature and IVs should I breed for?

I think you should go with:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 SDef / 252 HP / 16 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic

Shadow Sneak and Sacred Sword are alternatives, though.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Volt Switch
- Outrage

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Rock Slide
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut

This is my current team, well, the team I've been using, rather. I'm just looking for some suggestions. I was personally thinking about getting Darkrai replaced for a more bulky special attacker, which would be either Kyogre, Palkia or Dialga, but I don't really know yet. Other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Volt Switch
- Outrage

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Rock Slide
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut

This is my current team, well, the team I've been using, rather. I'm just looking for some suggestions. I was personally thinking about getting Darkrai replaced for a more bulky special attacker, which would be either Kyogre, Palkia or Dialga, but I don't really know yet. Other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.
Your team is decent, but some of your sets need changes. First off in Ubers aegislash needs to be effective in ubers as it is probably the best xerneas check in the whole game. Good evs would be 252 hp/ 16 defense evs / 240 special defense. The moveset as well should be changed to toxic/kingshield/gyro ball/shadow sneak with 0 speed ivs. Also for xerneas, flash cannon seems a poor option, as at +2 with its ability boosting moonblast the power is enough to handle opposing xerneas and arceus fairy which are the only common fairy types seen atm. Its coverage is redundant with focus blast as well, and that should be changed to psyshock or thunderbolt depending on preference. The EVs should also be changed to this 176 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 76 Spe as max speed isn't need to outspeed everything bar deoxys speed but that can't do much to you with the +2 special defense boost. I would also agree with changing darkrai to diagla, as having SR on your defog user can cause problems. Lastly you should change your arceus form to rock so you can better handle lugia/Ho-Oh and run Will-o-Wisp over SR if you do choose dialga over darkrai as it can use SR better. Hoped I helped and gl.

Your team is decent, but some of your sets need changes. First off in Ubers aegislash needs to be effective in ubers as it is probably the best xerneas check in the whole game. Good evs would be 252 hp/ 16 defense evs / 240 special defense. The moveset as well should be changed to toxic/kingshield/gyro ball/shadow sneak with 0 speed ivs. Also for xerneas, flash cannon seems a poor option, as at +2 with its ability boosting moonblast the power is enough to handle opposing xerneas and arceus fairy which are the only common fairy types seen atm. Its coverage is redundant with focus blast as well, and that should be changed to psyshock or thunderbolt depending on preference. The EVs should also be changed to this 176 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 76 Spe as max speed isn't need to outspeed everything bar deoxys speed but that can't do much to you with the +2 special defense boost. I would also agree with changing darkrai to diagla, as having SR on your defog user can cause problems. Lastly you should change your arceus form to rock so you can better handle lugia/Ho-Oh and run Will-o-Wisp over SR if you do choose dialga over darkrai as it can use SR better. Hoped I helped and gl.
Thanks a lot, I believe this made my team a lot better, although I seem a tad Blaziken-weak now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)