Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Hi, I'm not a player of the tier but wanted to ask if there was like a "sticky" type post that explains why ubers has bans now/ is not a banlist? I've read multiple good posts explaining it in the past but couldn't find one pinned on the forum. Would love to use to quicklink to people who pull the "whaaaa? banlist bans terrible tier" schtik with something articulate. Thanks!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hi, I'm not a player of the tier but wanted to ask if there was like a "sticky" type post that explains why ubers has bans now/ is not a banlist? I've read multiple good posts explaining it in the past but couldn't find one pinned on the forum. Would love to use to quicklink to people who pull the "whaaaa? banlist bans terrible tier" schtik with something articulate. Thanks!
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-is-added-m-ray-is-banned-from-ubers.3523205/

Hi, what strategies/changes can my team have, to beat screens HO easier?

This is my current team: https://pokepast.es/395e48c327810c63
(I use defensive xern cuz I hate dealing with opposing zyg)

I lost hard to a screens with Froslass, Grimmsnarl, Xerneas, Zekrom, Groudon, & DD dusk-mane.
Couldn't defog screens due to Grimm's taunt, & I ended up getting essentially 6-0d by boosted Xern since Reflect allowed it to beat my dusk-mane.

If there are general suggestions on how to beat such screens teams, I'd appreciate it thank you!

Garrett

Banned deucer.
Hi, what strategies/changes can my team have, to beat screens HO easier?

This is my current team: https://pokepast.es/395e48c327810c63
(I use defensive xern cuz I hate dealing with opposing zyg)

I lost hard to a screens with Froslass, Grimmsnarl, Xerneas, Zekrom, Groudon, & DD dusk-mane.
Couldn't defog screens due to Grimm's taunt, & I ended up getting essentially 6-0d by boosted Xern since Reflect allowed it to beat my dusk-mane.

If there are general suggestions on how to beat such screens teams, I'd appreciate it thank you!
Firstly, you can actually Defog on Grimmsnarl with Yveltal because Prankster doesn't affect Dark Types. You'd want to Defog when it's not on the field otherwise it'll set them up again, though.

Against screens, lead with something fast that can hit Froslass with >1 move (because being disabled into a choice locked move is really bad) and do as much damage to Grimmsnarl as possible so that it can't set up both screens more than once. You'd do well to add some speed to your team that gives offensive power (Yveltal isn't that) or more reliably takes on Xerneas and/or Groudon, both of which have a really good MU vs. you.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hello guys , i search a greeat nature for my calyrex-shadow scarf. Ty
You would definetly want a timid nature to capitalize both on Calyrex’s good speed, and the choice scarf it holds. It can revenge kill just about anything, except for Dark types. I would also recommend investing into its special attack stat as well

You would definetly want a timid nature to capitalize both on Calyrex’s good speed, and the choice scarf it holds. It can revenge kill just about anything, except for Dark types. I would also recommend investing into its special attack stat as well
thanks man , because i had a hesitation with timid and another nature that boost atk spé . Ty ^^

JT Yao

Banned deucer.
This is a question I'd like to be answered by someone who has been analyzing trends in SS Ubers recently. What type of Hyper Offense is current performing the best in ladder and tournaments? Any particular leads that have a positive match up against other HO leads? I'm interested to know the statistics going forward. Thank you!

Cynara

Banned deucer.
This is a question I'd like to be answered by someone who has been analyzing trends in SS Ubers recently. What type of Hyper Offense is current performing the best in ladder and tournaments? Any particular leads that have a positive match up against other HO leads? I'm interested to know the statistics going forward. Thank you!
I feel like Webs were performing the most in earlier seasonal rounds, everyone was bringing them cus its a good way to defeat unknown opponents with little prep to work with, people are lazy etc, and its the most popular style on the ladder. The exception was with players Like Lunala who were just using traditional Lead hazard Hyper Offense and I feel like those were much more consistent and Successful, Luna only lost like one game ever in her seasonal run with the team she kept spamming, which proves its worth imo and webs tends to lose more, this might be due to more usage data however. Luna's team was good against the traditional web hyper offense styles players were bringing too, as in it actually had reliable counterplay while others tends to ignore counterplay.

Screens are also somewhat okay, but i feel those were a bit more inconsistent, I'd rather web, but I'd honestly just bring a traditional hyper offense. Webs work against players who don't really prepare for webs, bring slow defoggers etc, Scarf Yveltal is so strong against webs for instance which is why I used the set on my original SS DLC2 build that i posted back in december, I prefer HOs that can function without webs or screens for this reason, traditional HO's are not so reliant on these setup tools.

Screens Regieleki is probably better than Grimsnarl right now, as far as screens goes. but ill list the best leads imo: Webs: Slurpuff, Rocks: Aerodactyl or Groudon, Screens: Regieleki

Is it likely that Zacian-H will be suspected?
Pretty early to call this, there's been discussion along with Calyrex-SR, but don't expect anything major to come of it, maybe it is sign of things to come.

Pretty early to call this, there's been discussion along with Calyrex-SR, but don't expect anything major to come of it, maybe it is sign of things to come.
Thanks for the quick reply, I was pretty intrigued by the possibility of both Zacian forms being banned

• Wow
Reactions: 126

JT Yao

Banned deucer.
For posts related to USM, is it better to post on the Old Gens Hub or on the old USM Sets Discussion page?

there is one thing i don’t understand, uber is considered a tier since gen 6 and mega rayquaza’s ban, so why is this the only main tier not being concerned by the usage stats ?

there is one thing i don’t understand, uber is considered a tier since gen 6 and mega rayquaza’s ban, so why is this the only main tier not being concerned by the usage stats ?
Because OU is designed as "the highest usage based tier", Ubers doesn't need to rely on usages as it allows technically "everything". Making Ubers usage based is pointless to Ubers as "everything" would still be usable and would most importantly mess up all the tiers below it

Because OU is designed as "the highest usage based tier", Ubers doesn't need to rely on usages as it allows technically "everything". Making Ubers usage based is pointless to Ubers as "everything" would still be usable and would most importantly mess up all the tiers below it
why isn’t uber the real OU then ?
i think i heard the main problem with uber is the lack of diversity but it doesn’t seem to be really the case anymore or at least it seems balanced enough, moreover now since there is 2 ubers who were banned to AG showing an interest in keeping it balanced and to be honest when mégas and the other missing mons are back there will be more pokémon in uber than OU, it’s truly disturbing for me

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Most people coming into pokemon for the first time will have a general idea of what the power level of the standard tier should look like, that ubers does not match. For better or for worse, the 'standard' power level people will expect is going to be with bans of Ubers pokemon like Series 7 (and 9) of VGC/Battle Spot. Because of this + history + the overall playerbase's experience from generation to generation, OU's power level is going to be below the 'box art legendaries' almost by definition.

The idea of having the National Dex Ubers I find it very nice and I can't wait to see if that will ever happen :)

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Maybe this isn't as simple as I'm making it out to be, but have the criteria for suspects in Ubers gotten looser? It seems as far more centralizing threats were left in place in previous generations.
It's not an easy question to answer for sure since there are definitely multiple factors, but currently the tiering council is trying to take as much community input as possible and are putting out these suspect tests to make the meta more ideal for the playerbase. With multiple community surveys, discussion threads, and active discord discussions, we're trying to make the tier as enjoyable and competitive as possible while not getting extremely ban-happy, seeing as there's been only 5 tests, only 2 of which have been actual Pokemon (Actually just Zacian, but in both forms) and the other 3 of BP STag and Dynamax were kind of inevitable, with BP and STag banned and tested in the previous gen respectively. Previously suspect tests were extremely rare in Ubers also, mostly due to less being immediately banworthy due to the absolutely insane power creep in gen 8 with zacian dyna etc. as well as ubers still figuring out what it wants to be since it became an official tier. There's probably quite a bit more to go on about, but those are some of the general things. There's definitely been more tests than ever this gen, but there's a lot of reasons for it, so I'd say technically yes the requirements are a bit looser, but it's also the way the tier is handled that's been slightly changed overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)