Online Competition Simple Symphony ("Monotype"...but entirely different)

January's competition is Simple Symphony, running on the final weekend of the month as usual.

When we think of the "Monotype" format, the rule that comes to mind is "everyone on the team must share a type". But this format invokes a different sense of the word: all dual-types are banned (as are the traditional Nintendo-Ubers list), but other than that you're free to run whatever combination of types you want.

Single battles, 10 minute time limit, but items use the VGC Moon series banlist (so mega stones aren't allowed, but Z-crystals are).

The prize is just 50 BP again, so no more shinies being handed out like hotcakes (and with it, participation in the contest is probably doomed to lag behind the last few months).

Rules:
  • 3v3 Singles (6v6 team preview)
  • Pokemon will be level 50 during the battle
  • item clause
    • mega stones are banned
  • Pokemon must only have one type

Playable on Pokemon Showdown!

Last edited by a moderator:
Highest legal BSTs

Slaking, Regigigas: 670
Wishiwashi (for the first 75% of its health bar): 620
Cresselia, Goodra: 600
Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Tornadus: 580
Silvally, Xurkitree: 570
Arcanine: 555
Florges: 552
Blissey, Electivire, Magmortar, Snorlax, Milotic, Haxorus: 540

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, interseting idea for a competition! Maybe it's just me, but since so many of the big Fairy-types in Battle Spot Singles are dual typed, this might make Dragon a much more dangerous offensive type than usual. Granted, you basically just have Goodra and Haxorus as the good looking ones, but they got enough offensive oomph that I'd imagine they'd be threats!

Oh yeah speaking of Fairy-types, this might justify using Sylveon again, since the only other particuarly interesting Fairy-types I can think of are Slurpuff (I think this will be the premier Sticky Webs user), and maaaaybe Fairy Silvally.

Also LegoFigure11 tell me when this comes on Showdown, this is getting my creative juices flowing already!

Hmm, interseting idea for a competition! Maybe it's just me, but since so many of the big Fairy-types in Battle Spot Singles are dual typed, this might make Dragon a much more dangerous offensive type than usual. Granted, you basically just have Goodra and Haxorus as the good looking ones, but they got enough offensive oomph that I'd imagine they'd be threats!

Oh yeah speaking of Fairy-types, this might justify using Sylveon again, since the only other particuarly interesting Fairy-types I can think of are Slurpuff (I think this will be the premier Sticky Webs user), and maaaaybe Fairy Silvally.

Also LegoFigure11 tell me when this comes on Showdown, this is getting my creative juices flowing already!
Also, the only two viable steel types are KlinkKlang and Registeel. Dragon Dance Haxorus looks really OP.

I would like to report something odd about the PS builder for that format. It is played with level 50 Pokémon. But the "Simple Symphony" PS builder doesn't take silver or gold caps into account.

Let's take an example. I have a timid HP Fire Serperior with 30 Speed IVs + 252 EVs, which means a max speed of 180 at level 50. But on the 3DS if I give a silver cap on a level 100 Serperior with a 30 speed IV (356 with full EVs), it will get the same speed as if it had a 31 speed IV (357).

On the 3DS that speed increase from the caps is taken into account when the pokémon are leveled down to level 50 games.

So, that timid Serp with HP fire shoud be able to get that cap boost at level 50 (allowing it to have a speed of 181). Can it be implemented ? Thx

Is darmanitan (because zen mode) legal? Serebii says no but showdown says yes. I can't find the eligible pokemon in the official regulations.

First impressions of this format..
Meinshao seems really good as the fastest fighting type Pokémon. Access to Fake out and Powerful stab HJK and Z move makes it quite a big threat. Haxorus can't setup on it for free and sash sets don't like fake out. It can also take care of the normal Pokémon and those with moody with ease. Anything that doesn't resist it or is faster can easily wipe it but having fake out for chip damage is nice. I just wish this Pokémon had gotten mach punch so it could have a better answer to faster weakened Pokémon than feint.. At least it's a +2 priority move and can beat out ES.. I've pretty much relied on Meinshao to just clean up multiple battles while sacrificing other Pokémon that become unneeded for the win condition.. I'll say that meinshao is the best Fighting type Pokémon in this comp because of the speed and the attack power potential.

Clefable. Even after using this in G6 its still fun to see people trying to buff up their stats. Clefable don't care for your stat increasing smh. Toxic Stalling is still fun :kappa:

Typhlosion. My answer to the whole Darm being banned.. Obvious scarf with Eruption and Focus miss since there's not a wide move selection.. Still hits Serp and faster Pokémon while keeping fire moves off the rest of the team. Seems like a good contender for Doggo if you don't need an Intimidate Pokémon but still want to hit hard..

Also tried Silvally(Flying) but i just never brought it. Contemplating bringing a dark type for certain ghosts I've been seeing but :shrug:

Though for what I've seen.. Gigalith and Stoutland seems like a rather strong core that's being slept on quite a bit. Retaliate stout can deal some major damage and sand rush makes it difficult to outspeed. Not that many rock /steel/ghosts make it hard to check.

I think I'll use Zoroark, despite all the fairies, and give him a Muk buddy to help take care of them.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Memento
- Knock Off
- Counter
- Protect

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Giga Drain (idk, just wanted recovery)

I think I'll use Zoroark, despite all the fairies, and give him a Muk buddy to help take care of them.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Memento
- Knock Off
- Counter
- Protect

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Giga Drain (idk, just wanted recovery)
Why use Hasty over Jolly when you're only running physical attacks? Sure Zoroark is fragile but no point reducing what little bulk it does have right?

Lowering the physical defense (with Sash as insurance) broadens the possible gamut of opposing physical attacks that qualify to be Countered back for lethal damage. This might even go so far as IV reduction, though it's not listed there.

Smeargle with trick or treat/forest's curse is irrelevant but might aswell be looked into since the entire Darm got banned for an equally irrelevant ability.

Arbok is being ssssslept on; it is extremely good with Electrode's reflect support to get a few coils up on a physical attacker and begin punching into things with Gunk Shot. It's reliable poison STAB lets it crush Clefable (admittedly, since Unaware ignores Coil's accuracy increase, Gunk Shot can sometimes miss). Due to it getting shed skin as an ability, it has reliable recovery in rest! I personally think that Arbok is best poison right now.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7simplesymphony-849148819

Last edited:
"FEAR strategies" in the sense of taking advantage of level asymmetry that's nominally in the opponent's favor (to get the most out of Endeavor or Pain Split, and/or be in a position where Leech Seed or Shell Bell can refill your entire health bar as you wear away the opponent) don't work at all in official competitions. They always force all Pokemon involved to the same level (usually 50, but sometimes 5 or 100 for special theme tournaments) no matter if their "real" level is higher or lower than that threshold.

I’ve been using politoed. Has done pretty well imo with a combination of use of xurkitree and clawitzer (wish I could use manaphy but it’s banned ;-;) fairies seem hard to use since they all slow and just die to poison jab on haxorus sadly.

Could someone please make a list of the key threats and what Pokemon are the best in the competition? Maybe there are must haves? I really can't find into this meta because I played the first 3gens casual and then started with gen6/7 competitive so I miss most of the actual Pokemon which of them are good:(

Could someone please make a list of the key threats and what Pokemon are the best in the competition? Maybe there are must haves? I really can't find into this meta because I played the first 3gens casual and then started with gen6/7 competitive so I miss most of the actual Pokemon which of them are good:(

You have already asked this question in the BSS Discord.

- Chansey
- Ambipom
- Porygon Z
- Conkeldurr
- Tornadus
- Arcanine
- Politoad / Golduck / Beartic
- Suicune
- Milotic
- Alomomola
- Feraligatr
- Raikou
- Xurkitree
- Tangrowth
- Serperior
- Torkoal / Lilligant
- Glalie
- Cresselia
- Reuniclus
- Eevee / Espeon
- Goodra
- Haxorus
- Liepard / Smeargle
- Sylveon
- Clefable
- Gigalith / Stoutland
- Octillery

Are there any viable steel types? Klinklang and Registeel have been mentioned - are they any good?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)