Online Competition Simple Symphony ("Monotype"...but entirely different)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are there any viable steel types? Klinklang and Registeel have been mentioned - are they any good?
the only other legal steel type is Silvally, so it's really slim pickings. Klinklang is quite viable since Gear Grind is useful against the plethora of sub-protect moody Glalie you'll see, and Steelium Z sets destroy Clefable.

Registeel is probably pretty decent as a bulky option too but it's outclassed by better options like Cresselia, Suicune, Porygon2, or Hippowdon unless you really need the Steel typing...

Just to clarify, the Pokemon don’t have to have the Gen 7 clover symbol? We can use old poke bank pokemon?
"Pokémon brought in via Poké Transporter will be permitted in battle."

Fun examples include Gen1 VC Reflect Electrode as fast Taunt+Screens lead, gen3 Softboiled Clefable (Magic Guard), Adamant shiny-locked 2011 Extremespeed Entei to name a few.

What are people’s thoughts on leading with dual Screens support and then bringing in something to set up and sweep. And because it’s me I’m thinking nice and gimmicky. Belly Drum Linoone, Z Happy Hour Lycanroc, Tail Glow Xurkitree, Contrary Serperior, Z Conversion Porygon Z, Nasty Plot Azelf...

If anyone has tested any of those let me know if I’m wasting my time :p

What are people’s thoughts on leading with dual Screens support and then bringing in something to set up and sweep. And because it’s me I’m thinking nice and gimmicky. Belly Drum Linoone, Z Happy Hour Lycanroc, Tail Glow Xurkitree, Contrary Serperior, Z Conversion Porygon Z, Nasty Plot Azelf...

I’ve tested dual screens support with a couple of different sweepers. It’s definitely really good.

I would say Haxorus and Porygon-Z are some of the best sweepers just because they have so few reliable switch ins. You just have to watch out for stuff like taunt Tornadus and random focus sash mons or status that can stop your sweep.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

it's a tried and tested strategy in BSS so I'm very sure it will be good here. I've actually been considering a dual screens + rocks + memento Uxie lead paired with Linoone lol. the cool thing about Uxie is that it has a lot of moves for this role, Yawn, T-wave, U-turn, Knock Off, Foul Play. A lot of sets actually forgo screens altogether and just use Memento for the stat drop with rocks + status move + attack (but if you're trying to use Linoon it's gonna need screens and memento...). This sort of lead is really good with Eevee, Glalie, Smeargle, or Octillery too, or just a regular sweeper like Haxorus, Porygon-Z or Serperior. Like Gallazard said you definitely want something to beat Taunt Tornadus (Regice, Registeel, Regirock, Gigalith, Eelektross etc.), opposing Ditto counter-sweeps (depends on what sweeper you're using), Assist Liepard / Meowstic cheese (Grass type, Sap Sipper Goodra, Overcoat Shelgon if Spore [most common], or Vital Spirit Primeape / Vigaroth if worried about Lovely Kiss versions), and random Focus Sash users (stealth rock from Uxie handles that).

it's a tried and tested strategy in BSS so I'm very sure it will be good here. I've actually been considering a dual screens + rocks + memento Uxie lead paired with Linoone lol. the cool thing about Uxie is that it has a lot of moves for this role, Yawn, T-wave, U-turn, Knock Off, Foul Play. A lot of sets actually forgo screens altogether and just use Memento for the stat drop with rocks + status move + attack (but if you're trying to use Linoon it's gonna need screens and memento...). This sort of lead is really good with Eevee, Glalie, Smeargle, or Octillery too, or just a regular sweeper like Haxorus, Porygon-Z or Serperior. Like Gallazard said you definitely want something to beat Taunt Tornadus (Regice, Registeel, Regirock, Gigalith, Eelektross etc.), opposing Ditto counter-sweeps (depends on what sweeper you're using), Assist Liepard / Meowstic cheese (Grass type, Sap Sipper Goodra, Overcoat Shelgon if Spore [most common], or Vital Spirit Primeape / Vigaroth if worried about Lovely Kiss versions), and random Focus Sash users (stealth rock from Uxie handles that).
Yes I was also thinking Uxie. I know it’s not as bulky as Cresselia but it just seems more useful and versatile than Cresselia...
My other screens lead idea was Sash/Light Clay Espeon because Magic Bounce is amazing

Would rain team with like xurkitree and clawitzer be fine along with politoed or is there any way to make a rain team with half the team being helped by it and then still being able to use those mons when not doing the rain part?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Would rain team with like xurkitree and clawitzer be fine along with politoed or is there any way to make a rain team with half the team being helped by it and then still being able to use those mons when not doing the rain part?
The thing about these 3v3 formats where you bring 6 pokemon is that you don't need to build a rain "team," you really just want a rain "core" and then just fill out the rest of the team as you see fit. Sure you can go full rain mode if you really wanted but the advantage of not doing that is you can just bring an entirely different gameplan if rain is a bad matchup.

Politoed + Golduck and/or Beartic is pretty much necessary for this since they're the only 3 actual rain mons. You could use Xurkitree or Raikou with Z-Thunder as they benefit from rain giving 100% accurate Thunders, but Z-Thunder is just a good move in general in 3v3 so you don't need the rain. Same with Tornadus and Z-Hurricane. So then if your team is looking like Politoed, Golduck, Beartic, Xurkitree, and Tornadus-T you're looking a little weak to Porygon2, Chansey and Snorlax, so you can just slap something like Conkeldurr or Mienshao in the 6th slot and see how you go. You might be concerned with the Clefable matchup at this point so you can always replace one of your rain sweepers or Thunder/Hurricane users with something like Klinklang. Then you might want some bulk of your own so you replace another sweeper for something like your own Clefable, Porygon2, Chansey, or Snorlax...

So a finished rain team could be something like
  1. Politoed
  2. Golduck / Beartic
  3. Tornadus / Xurkitree / Raikou
  4. Mienshao / Conkeldurr
  5. Klinklang
  6. Clefable / Porygon2 / Snorlax
then depending on the matchups you get, the 3 mon cores you bring to games could be like
  • Politoed, Golduck, Xurkitree
  • Conkeldurr, Klinklang, Clefable / Politoed
  • Mienshao, Klinklang, Xurkitree
  • Politoed, Xurkitree, Mienshao / Clefable
  • etc......
so it's a lot better to build a team around a rain core rather than a full rain team purely because of the greater flexibility you get.

You have already asked this question in the BSS Discord.

- Chansey
- Ambipom
- Porygon Z
- Conkeldurr
- Tornadus
- Arcanine
- Politoad / Golduck / Beartic
- Suicune
- Milotic
- Alomomola
- Feraligatr
- Raikou
- Xurkitree
- Tangrowth
- Serperior
- Torkoal / Lilligant
- Glalie
- Cresselia
- Reuniclus
- Eevee / Espeon
- Goodra
- Haxorus
- Liepard / Smeargle
- Sylveon
- Clefable
- Gigalith / Stoutland
- Octillery
I think I'll use Zoroark, despite all the fairies, and give him a Muk buddy to help take care of them.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Memento
- Knock Off
- Counter
- Protect

Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Giga Drain (idk, just wanted recovery)
I had actually had a super scheme for Zoroark… Throat Punch and Sludge Bomb for the Sylveons that were running around. I used it a bit on ShowDown and it went very well but I realized Sludge Bomb is an obscure event move from years back that I cant get in-game! I'd have Zoroark come in as Haxorus vs Sylveons, hit them with a Throat Chop to either force them out (because theyre all Choiced) or if its their last Mon they eat a Sludge Bomb and Struggle away. I've been running Scarf Exploud too that has been doing VERY well and I haven't seen anyone else using it.

I had actually had a super scheme for Zoroark… Throat Punch and Sludge Bomb for the Sylveons that were running around. I used it a bit on ShowDown and it went very well but I realized Sludge Bomb is an obscure event move from years back that I cant get in-game! I'd have Zoroark come in as Haxorus vs Sylveons, hit them with a Throat Chop to either force them out (because theyre all Choiced) or if its their last Mon they eat a Sludge Bomb and Struggle away. I've been running Scarf Exploud too that has been doing VERY well and I haven't seen anyone else using it.
I used scarf Exploud too but haven't much success because some pokemon just calm mind

And now that we're so close to the competition I thought I'd reveil the 3rd member of this trio:
Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Signal Beam
- Charm
- Calm Mind
- Rest
Once Zoroark Mementos she can wall a lot and boost in their face. I went with Signal Beam for those stray confusions, and to take care of any Dark or fellow Psychic types. Won a lot of showdown matches by sheer annoyance. Also considering Uixie now that I learn it also gets Memento and is a decent screens setter, though I should bring in Clefable if by chance I see my opponent doing the same. Also remember Politoed has Perish Song.

And now that we're so close to the competition I thought I'd reveil the 3rd member of this trio:
Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Signal Beam
- Charm
- Calm Mind
- Rest
Once Zoroark Mementos she can wall a lot and boost in their face. I went with Signal Beam for those stray confusions, and to take care of any Dark or fellow Psychic types. Won a lot of showdown matches by sheer annoyance. Also considering Uixie now that I learn it also gets Memento and is a decent screens setter, though I should bring in Clefable if by chance I see my opponent doing the same. Also remember Politoed has Perish Song.
I've been running Dual Screens Uxie and it a real cool set. with Magic Coat and Psychic (for some, tho not much, offense). its almost ALWAYS Taunted Turn 1 so the Magic Coat is good. Been seeing a lot of Clefables too. I feel like what we see during the actual Cartidge Tournament will be different than the PS stuff tho.

I've been running Dual Screens Uxie and it a real cool set. with Magic Coat and Psychic (for some, tho not much, offense). its almost ALWAYS Taunted Turn 1 so the Magic Coat is good. Been seeing a lot of Clefables too. I feel like what we see during the actual Cartidge Tournament will be different than the PS stuff tho.
Different in what way? Do you think there will be more offensive teams or on the contrary a majority of stall or semi-stall teams?

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm pretty outta the loop with this format. Are there any particularly good stops to Z-Conversion Porygon-Z out there besides Clefable? If not, I'm pretty tempted to base a team around that mofo...

EDIT: Oh and besides the obvious Chansey / Blissey, though maybe I could be crazy and used mixed!

Last edited:
Curses. Ok so this is not the normal type of request prior to the beginning of a competition. I entered at the beginning of the week and haven’t had time to train anything up. I even started planning a rain team when the competition was announced. Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple team I.e those with a 4/252/252 spread since I won’t have time to do anything more specific than that preferably also with limited egg move and hidden abilities due to difficulties obtaining these. Or more awkwardly or oddly anyone have a team prepared they don’t want to use that I can borrow?

Curses. Ok so this is not the normal type of request prior to the beginning of a competition. I entered at the beginning of the week and haven’t had time to train anything up. I even started planning a rain team when the competition was announced. Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple team I.e those with a 4/252/252 spread since I won’t have time to do anything more specific than that preferably also with limited egg move and hidden abilities due to difficulties obtaining these. Or more awkwardly or oddly anyone have a team prepared they don’t want to use that I can borrow?
Sorted!

Any teammates for Gigalith other than Stoutland? I have a shiny Giga I've been itching to use but do not have a battle ready Stoutland
check messages.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Made a team for this format this morning on stream, got all the mons I needed, then played 12 games. Went 10-2 for around 1610. Ran into some really cool stuff, like Shell Smash Clamperl in the very first game lol. Haven't seen a single Glalie yet so my Klinklang is yet to be useful, however Sylveon and Porygon-Z have put in a lot of work so far!

If you missed the live stream I chopped up the vod into a teambuilding section and battles section, so you can watch whatever you want while also skipping the very tedious part of getting the Pokemon ready in my game...

TEAMBUILDING:

BATTLES:

Will be playing out day 2 and 3 on stream so come join!

Until just now I did all 30 fights in a row. Have seen a lot of cool stuff and went 24-6

Here my team:
Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Brave Nature
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Atk / 252 Def
- Return
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recycle

Clefable @ Kee Berry
Bold Nature
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover

Klinklang @ Mago Berry
Adamant Nature
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Shift Gear
- Recycle

Until just now I did all 30 fights in a row. Have seen a lot of cool stuff and went 24-6

Here my team:
Espeon @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Brave Nature
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Atk / 252 Def
- Return
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recycle

Clefable @ Kee Berry
Bold Nature
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover

Klinklang @ Mago Berry
Adamant Nature
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Shift Gear
- Recycle
How often did you have to use recovery moves? Like Recover on Porygon Z?

And how was Espeon’s performance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)