Online Competition Simple Symphony ("Monotype"...but entirely different)

How often did you have to use recovery moves? Like Recover on Porygon Z?

And how was Espeon’s performance?
regarding recovery moves
- Recover on Porygon-Z was sometimes useful and I used it in like 5-6 fights - with screens and defense boosts from Z-Conversion you survive an All-Out Pummeling or some Earthquakes and heal back with Recovery while tanking weaker hits. I'm not sure if Hyper Beam for the option of a Breakneck Blitz would have been more useful.
- Moonlight on Clefable is needed almost every round you bring it - provoke a physical attack to trigger the berry for the defense boost and heal right back with moonlight and then slowly setup with calm mind and moonlight
- Recycle on Snorlax was used also very often (except when the enemy knocks off the berry)
- Recycle on Klinklang was only useful in a couple of fights - mostly because the berry triggers only at 25% health
- Synthesis on Serperior was only useful in 1-2 fights - once after a knock off and once to heal back from 1 HP to full life and then do some switching

Espeon performed very good. I started almost every fight with it. With screens and calm mind it sometimes killed whole teams on its own. It mostly gets at least one screen out (except against Accelgor with Bug Buzz, a Ambipom which did a crit with fakout + return to finish and a choice scarf adamant Haxorus with Outrage). Having screens out lets you savely boost with Curse Snorlax, Z-Conversion Porygon Z, Leaf Storm Serperior, Shift Gear Klinklang or even Calm Mind Clefable. And psychic can onehit many fighting types (or bring them in range for an easy kill with Choice Scarf Leaf Storm Serperior).

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Memento
- Knock Off
- Counter
- Taunt

Muk @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Poison Jab
- Power-Up Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Pain Split

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Signal Beam
- Charm
- Calm Mind
- Rest

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 148 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Body Slam
- Crunch

Slurpuff @ Big Root
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Cotton Guard
- Calm Mind

Uxie @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento

Slurpuff came from a previous online 3 vs 3 tourney, and is kicking much ass in this one. Zoroark is doing a much better job than Uxie, though I'd rather have both just to play it safe. Haven't been using Muk as much as I thought I would, but I haven't had to worry about using it in the mach as much as before thanks to it detering most fairies. Gothitelle has gotten me a lot of quitters once I use Rest, and I don't blame them. Snorlax is Snorlax, and I use him when I see a Clefable or Porygon Z.

Different in what way? Do you think there will be more offensive teams or on the contrary a majority of stall or semi-stall teams?
Lol sorry didn't see this until after that start of the Tournament! It actually has been a little different, I've been seeing a LOT more KlinKlang and its honestly probably one of the best set-up sweepers in the format. Not seeing as many Sylveons as I thought but Serperior is everywhere. Not as many Minimize strats as I've seen on PS either. Are you playing? I think its super fun, I am not superstar or anything but I've been keeping around 1600. 3v3 doesn't allow much room for error lol

regarding recovery moves
- Recover on Porygon-Z was sometimes useful and I used it in like 5-6 fights - with screens and defense boosts from Z-Conversion you survive an All-Out Pummeling or some Earthquakes and heal back with Recovery while tanking weaker hits. I'm not sure if Hyper Beam for the option of a Breakneck Blitz would have been more useful.
- Moonlight on Clefable is needed almost every round you bring it - provoke a physical attack to trigger the berry for the defense boost and heal right back with moonlight and then slowly setup with calm mind and moonlight
- Recycle on Snorlax was used also very often (except when the enemy knocks off the berry)
- Recycle on Klinklang was only useful in a couple of fights - mostly because the berry triggers only at 25% health
- Synthesis on Serperior was only useful in 1-2 fights - once after a knock off and once to heal back from 1 HP to full life and then do some switching

Espeon performed very good. I started almost every fight with it. With screens and calm mind it sometimes killed whole teams on its own. It mostly gets at least one screen out (except against Accelgor with Bug Buzz, a Ambipom which did a crit with fakout + return to finish and a choice scarf adamant Haxorus with Outrage). Having screens out lets you savely boost with Curse Snorlax, Z-Conversion Porygon Z, Leaf Storm Serperior, Shift Gear Klinklang or even Calm Mind Clefable. And psychic can onehit many fighting types (or bring them in range for an easy kill with Choice Scarf Leaf Storm Serperior).
I didn't bring a KlinKlang but I think its one of the best set-up sweepers in the format for sure! Funniest strat I've seen so far was Shell Smash Shellder and the one strat to sweep my team was Adaptability Z-Conversion Porygon Z with Uproar!! I went Soft Boiled, Toxic, Calm Mind, Moonblast Clefable and almost went Protect instead of Soft Boiled which would have lost me almost all my wins! Recovery has been HUGE. My saving grace has been Adamant +252hp/+252spe, DD Haxorus… can Dance in front of almost anything and OHKO back. I am really glad I dropped ALL the Attack EVs I trained for literally right before locking in!

Good Luck in the rest of your games!

I did my last 15 matches ... and lost many of them. Most of the time, because I picked the wrong pokemon on team preview. I'm not sure on the end result, because I got a couple of disconnects against japanese players and even when the disconnect is not on my side, the fights are sometimes not counted as wins or are not counted at all in global link. Peak today was around 1760 I think, but in the end I dropped to something slightly above 1700. Its really hard to get back up, if you lose almost double the points you would get on a win.

The most encountered opposing pokemon was Arcanine ... almost everyone had one. But the most annoying pokemon for me was Zoroark spamming Night Daze and getting an accuracy drop literally every time.

Espeon was very good and gave my team enough bulk to setup even against enemies they are weak against. I think like 5-6 games Espeon won on its own, where it set up screens and then refused to switch and set up with calm mind and killing whole teams with psychic. Serperior was not very useful - with screens out it could easily setup, but with only 8 shots on leaf storm it is very likely to end in a tight situation. Snorlax was good, but I also haven't used him much - there where just to many fighting types. Clefable won me many tight matches - with its defenses it had a chance against almost every pokemon. Porygon-Z was my main sweeper, but it struggled a bit against Cryogonal with Z-Haze and Toxic stalling. Klinklang was also very nice, but I used it not very often because of the many fire/fighting types or earthquake users. The decison for Recycle instead of Magnet Rise was really helpful and saved me in a couple of matches - including my last match, which ended with Klinklang against Cresselia.

Reactions: Tox

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
simple symphony team pgl.png

that's the team I built after the competition started and decided to lock in without any testing. I figured Porygon-Z would just win games on its own with a little help getting set up, so I wanted to use dedicated lead Uxie with it. I brought AV Entei as the dedicated Serperior check since that had the potential to anti-lead my main core. I liked the look of Haxorus as a backup sweeper. I really liked Sylveon as a wallbreaker and Glalie check, and then added Klinklang for a clean Dragon/Steel/Fairy core and a secondary Glalie check because you can never have too many of them. I sadly did not bring Klinklang once....

Porygon-Z was sick. Shoutouts marilli for the clutch EV spread that saved my ass a bunch of times, even though it was made to 1v1 Haxorus and I never used it for that lol... I honestly went Uxie+PZ+Entei almost every game. Klinklang was a regrettable pick, something like Serperior or whatever to break through bulky waters when PZ felt like a bad pick would have been amazing, since I felt forced to bring it in those games and it cost me a couple times. Even Porygon2 would have been better, possibly with a Trick Room option for Sylveon / Entei / offensive teams. Or maybe even a good Focus Sash user.

I saw a lot of similar teams from good Japanese players. Toxic Spikes with Accelgor + Cofagrigus + SubProtect Tornadus, + Conkeldurr was really common. Conkeldurr could actually be first or second in the usage stats when they eventually come out. I didn't see anywhere near as many Glalie as I thought there would be, and didn't see a single EeveePass team, thankfully. There were some strategies I did see that I kinda wish I had thought of, like Final Gambit / Acid Spray Accelgor into Serperior, heavy support into Shell Smash Clamperl, Toxic Boost Zangoose, LINOONE.... just to name a few.

I got to within 5-10 points of 1700 several times but never broke it, instead falling back to 1650 thanks to some pokemon happening and climbing back each time. Finished with a mediocre 29-16. Again the 1500 players remain undefeated vs me but we at least were able to beat all the 1700+ opps. low ladder in this was terrifying!

I did stream all of this on twitch and have reuploaded to youtube if people are interested. At the very least check out the game I had vs Thick Fat Azumarill

teambuilding:

DAY 1:
DAY 2:
DAY 2 part 2:
DAY 3:

vs TFA:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
simple_symphony_team.png

Finished just shy of 1700 with a few games left. Shoutouts to fitzy72 for giving me the idea of running Mismagius after he mentioned he was going to try triple Moody on PS lol. The team started with Mismagius, Xurk, Hippo and Conk, with Goodra and Lax added later to patch some weaknesses.

Mismagius was definetely my MVP. Despite the abundance of strong Normal-types, Missy had the power and utility to help the team. +2 Z-Shadow Ball hits a lot of things for a ton of damage, Curse helps wearing down the fatter mons and putting them in range of my other mons, the main reason why I chose it over Perish Song. Skill Swap techs Sylveon and Exploud by stealing Pixilate and Scrappy. It also helps against Porygon-Z, taking away Adaptability so it does less damage.

The rest of the team runs pretty straightforward sets. Scarf Xurkitree covers the lack of speed on the team, and it can surprise an opponent expecting a Tail Glow set. Goodra is the main Serperior check. Thanks to its massive special bulk, it can also take on threats such as Tornadus and opposing Xurkitree. Snorlax is the dedicated Sylveon/Porygon-Z check. Hippowdon checks Haxorus, Conkeldurr, Arcanine and Entei. Conkeldurr helps dealing with some of the fat Normals, as well as Entei.

Overall, I didn't get to use Xurkitree and Conkeldurr as much as I wanted. I didn't see Glalie/Eeveepass/Clefable as much as I tought I'd see, thankfully. I'm also glad Feraligatr and Exploud weren't as common, as they just break my team apart lol.

I'm gonna post some replays later, but I need to rewatch them first.

Was fun to see Pokémon you wouldn’t normally come up against.

But damn did I hate seeing Chansey. Such a pain to beat if you don’t have a fighting type. I thought I was okay after I magic bounced Toxic back at it, but I forgot Chansey has natural cure.

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 6.39.55 PM.png

Finished at 1708 (21-6) with this team. Big thanks to TheArrowOfLight for mentioning Gigalith/Stoutland on page one - I brought that duo to all but one match. All of Gigalith's moves came in handy at different times and Stoutland can tear through almost anything in sand.

Milotic was my most common third - Haze and Toxic were great helps, and Flame Orb's protection from other statuses was vital. I probably didn't use Alakazam or Conkeldurr as much as I should have, but they both came through in the clutch a few times. Wobbuffet was super useful, but I also choked a few times while using it (encoring a z-move Haxorus, for example).

Cresselia was scary, but I could work around it as long as it didn't have Rest. I was very happy not to run into any Reuniclus after meeting Alolan Scum's a few times on Showdown.

Didn't battle as much but I did get a write a few battles in.

Screenshot_20190127-191048.png
Screenshot_20190127-191058.png

Honestly surprised i didn't bring Clefable that much.. With as many counters there are and threats i couldn't find a spot to bring it in.. It was definitely more useful on PS than on cartridge..

Lurantis was more used at the end but it was the second least used Pokémon i used throughout. The last match it was up against a Jolteon and the secondary effect of Shadow ball kept activating :LUL:.

Typhlosion was great early on. A few players learned too early to send in your scarf Typhlosion after your opponent sends in theirs lol. Free Eruption on their remaining Pokémon for the kill is always free :LUL:

Elektivire did come in handy against some Xurkitree and Torn.. Vital Spirit was good enough to block out the hypnosis and xurk can only energy ball on Elektivire. May have caught a few of them by surprise with quick attack as well..

Mienshao was almost always brought to the fight. Feint came through for me in some matches including this one RA3W-WWWW-WWX2-J66B where i would have lost without it. ~~still needs mach punch though :v~~

Torn was decent enough. Having a second taunt user came in handy with a few Pokémon including Chansey and Linoone. Though i do wish it's attack was slightly higher..

Everyone's scores are amazeballs. This was my first foray into Singles and I was just hoping to hit 1500. Was not even close ending up somewhere around 1450. Learned a lot and still had fun I guess but definitely feel I'm never going to have the free time required to get a handle on this. I really had no idea what an opponent was planning to do until they did it - and then obviously it is too late. Still, I got a chance to use some shinies that had been collecting dust - but should have likely picked some Pokes based on team chemistry instead of shininess, lol (Feraligator I'm looking at you, you useless sack)

Quick question, the current singles format with only berries allowed...would not Unnerve work well?

Everyone's scores are amazeballs. This was my first foray into Singles and I was just hoping to hit 1500. Was not even close ending up somewhere around 1450. Learned a lot and still had fun I guess but definitely feel I'm never going to have the free time required to get a handle on this. I really had no idea what an opponent was planning to do until they did it - and then obviously it is too late. Still, I got a chance to use some shinies that had been collecting dust - but should have likely picked some Pokes based on team chemistry instead of shininess, lol (Feraligator I'm looking at you, you useless sack)

Quick question, the current singles format with only berries allowed...would not Unnerve work well?
Unnerve would work well. If there was anyone playing in that ladder :(

I did my last 15 matches ... and lost many of them. Most of the time, because I picked the wrong pokemon on team preview. I'm not sure on the end result, because I got a couple of disconnects against japanese players and even when the disconnect is not on my side, the fights are sometimes not counted as wins or are not counted at all in global link. Peak today was around 1760 I think, but in the end I dropped to something slightly above 1700. Its really hard to get back up, if you lose almost double the points you would get on a win.

The most encountered opposing pokemon was Arcanine ... almost everyone had one. But the most annoying pokemon for me was Zoroark spamming Night Daze and getting an accuracy drop literally every time.

Espeon was very good and gave my team enough bulk to setup even against enemies they are weak against. I think like 5-6 games Espeon won on its own, where it set up screens and then refused to switch and set up with calm mind and killing whole teams with psychic. Serperior was not very useful - with screens out it could easily setup, but with only 8 shots on leaf storm it is very likely to end in a tight situation. Snorlax was good, but I also haven't used him much - there where just to many fighting types. Clefable won me many tight matches - with its defenses it had a chance against almost every pokemon. Porygon-Z was my main sweeper, but it struggled a bit against Cryogonal with Z-Haze and Toxic stalling. Klinklang was also very nice, but I used it not very often because of the many fire/fighting types or earthquake users. The decison for Recycle instead of Magnet Rise was really helpful and saved me in a couple of matches - including my last match, which ended with Klinklang against Cresselia.

View attachment 157237

that's the team I built after the competition started and decided to lock in without any testing. I figured Porygon-Z would just win games on its own with a little help getting set up, so I wanted to use dedicated lead Uxie with it. I brought AV Entei as the dedicated Serperior check since that had the potential to anti-lead my main core. I liked the look of Haxorus as a backup sweeper. I really liked Sylveon as a wallbreaker and Glalie check, and then added Klinklang for a clean Dragon/Steel/Fairy core and a secondary Glalie check because you can never have too many of them. I sadly did not bring Klinklang once....

Porygon-Z was sick. Shoutouts marilli for the clutch EV spread that saved my ass a bunch of times, even though it was made to 1v1 Haxorus and I never used it for that lol... I honestly went Uxie+PZ+Entei almost every game. Klinklang was a regrettable pick, something like Serperior or whatever to break through bulky waters when PZ felt like a bad pick would have been amazing, since I felt forced to bring it in those games and it cost me a couple times. Even Porygon2 would have been better, possibly with a Trick Room option for Sylveon / Entei / offensive teams. Or maybe even a good Focus Sash user.

I saw a lot of similar teams from good Japanese players. Toxic Spikes with Accelgor + Cofagrigus + SubProtect Tornadus, + Conkeldurr was really common. Conkeldurr could actually be first or second in the usage stats when they eventually come out. I didn't see anywhere near as many Glalie as I thought there would be, and didn't see a single EeveePass team, thankfully. There were some strategies I did see that I kinda wish I had thought of, like Final Gambit / Acid Spray Accelgor into Serperior, heavy support into Shell Smash Clamperl, Toxic Boost Zangoose, LINOONE.... just to name a few.

I got to within 5-10 points of 1700 several times but never broke it, instead falling back to 1650 thanks to some pokemon happening and climbing back each time. Finished with a mediocre 29-16. Again the 1500 players remain undefeated vs me but we at least were able to beat all the 1700+ opps. low ladder in this was terrifying!

I did stream all of this on twitch and have reuploaded to youtube if people are interested. At the very least check out the game I had vs Thick Fat Azumarill

teambuilding:

DAY 1:
DAY 2:
DAY 2 part 2:
DAY 3:

vs TFA:

Honestly surprised i didn't bring Clefable that much.. With as many counters there are and threats i couldn't find a spot to bring it in.. It was definitely more useful on PS than on cartridge..

Lurantis was more used at the end but it was the second least used Pokémon i used throughout. The last match it was up against a Jolteon and the secondary effect of Shadow ball kept activating :LUL:.

Typhlosion was great early on. A few players learned too early to send in your scarf Typhlosion after your opponent sends in theirs lol. Free Eruption on their remaining Pokémon for the kill is always free :LUL:

Elektivire did come in handy against some Xurkitree and Torn.. Vital Spirit was good enough to block out the hypnosis and xurk can only energy ball on Elektivire. May have caught a few of them by surprise with quick attack as well..

Mienshao was almost always brought to the fight. Feint came through for me in some matches including this one RA3W-WWWW-WWX2-J66B where i would have lost without it. ~~still needs mach punch though :v~~

Torn was decent enough. Having a second taunt user came in handy with a few Pokémon including Chansey and Linoone. Though i do wish it's attack was slightly higher..[/QUOTE]

Didn't battle as much but I did get a write a few battles in.

Torn was decent enough. Having a second taunt user came in handy with a few Pokémon including Chansey and Linoone. Though i do wish it's attack was slightly higher..
Heres a couple of mine. Both against 1700+ players(?????)
85PG-WWWW-WWX2-K5VF This is funny because I think he thought I Taunted thinking it would stop Mirror Coat lol but I was fearing Glare and he just kept spamming it like his plan wasn't obvious

BVAG-WWWW-WWX2-K6WG This just kind of shows how in a 3v3 match ONE good switch or prediction can literally win the match. I finished with 1680 but should've been 1700+ but i lost to a few very low ratings lol and again, each loss was because of a single mistake or bad call. No room for error at all in 3v3

Last edited:
This comp I traded so many wins and losses (mostly won vs higher rated players and lossed to lower rated). The real mvp of this team is garbodor checking prominent threats like sylveon and serperior, set up toxic spikes for reuniclus and serperior to abuse, and hazing away so many porygon z and eeveepass. Also, haxorus with a good amount of spdef bulk was able to surprise set up on non boosted pz and clefable to sweep.

Attachments

Finished around 1620

Here’s my team:
Simple Symphony.png

I was originally planning on using a different team for this competition, but I switched to this team last minute because I really wanted to try using Evoboost.

I would usually just lead Uxie or Tornadus and then try to set up with Eevee and baton pass the boosts to either Espeon or Haxorus depending on the matchup. Porygon-Z and dragon dance on Haxorus were mainly there to give me other options in case it was a bad matchup for Eevee, but occasionally I would pass boosts to Porygon-Z as well to take on mons like Clefable better.

Overall the team was pretty good, but a lot of the teams I ran into had Pokémon that could use either roar, whirlwind, or haze which made it difficult to set up safely. Honestly, I think this type of team would probably work a lot better in a format without so much setup where people don’t expect it as much.

That being said, it was still a lot of fun to use, and I’ve never actually had the chance to use Evoboost before so I’m glad I was finally able to try it out.

Rankings and stats have been released. With only BP on the line, participation was expectedly down, about 1/5 of Ultra Spooky Cup and less than 1/10 of the shiny Lele IC. Still, at least it's higher than Kalos Classic. Remember, their team usage stats require a certain standard to qualify, probably "3 games over .500".

468 Serperior
361 Haxorus
359 Conkeldurr
328 Sylveon
311 Xurkitree
265 Cresselia
247 Porygon-Z
201 Arcanine
189 Tornadus (66 incarnate, 123 therian)
174 Entei
172 Clefable
169 Hippowdon
152 Snorlax
151 Espeon
136 Glalie
129 Porygon2
114 Suicune
109 Donphan
91 Goodra
84 Milotic
82 Feraligatr
77 Ditto, Azelf, Klinklang
75 Alakazam, Umbreon, Cofagrigus
73 Mismagius
71 Chansey
69 Cryogonal, Accelgor, Silvally (34 normal, 4 flying, 4 poison, 2 ground, 1 ghost, 14 steel, 1 grass, 1 electric, 3 ice, 2 dark, 3 fairy)

---top 30 cutoff---

68 Mienshao
66 Zoroark
65 Raikou
63 Linoone
61 Gigalith
57 Registeel
56 Uxie
53 Machamp, Slurpuff
52 Jolteon
49 Lycanroc (11 day, 4 night, 34 dusk)
44 Eevee
40 Ninetales
38 Vaporeon
37 Politoed
35 Mudsdale
34 Typhlosion
33 Reuniclus
32 Exploud, Meowstic (29 male, 3 female)
31 Dugtrio
29 Cinccino
27 Stoutland, Tsareena
26 Weezing, Smeargle, Torkoal
25 Gothitelle
24 Blissey, Dusclops
23 Lurantis, Comfey
21 Persian (all Alola), Ambipom, Lilligant
20 Misdreavus, Regice, Leafeon
18 Flareon
17 Golduck, Hitmonlee, Wobbuffet, Granbull, Eelektross
16 Muk (original)
15 Clawitzer, Avalugg
14 Raichu (original), Sceptile
13 Electrode, Hariyama, Zangoose, Glaceon, Liepard, Sawk, Beartic
12 Absol, Tangrowth, Dusknoir, Vanilluxe, Florges, Pyukumuku
11 Electivire, Zebstrika
10 Seviper, Regirock
9 Kecleon, Mesprit
8 Swalot, Bouffalant, Komala
7 Blastoise, Ursaring, Luxray, Floatzel, Magmortar, Type: Null
6 Arbok, Pikachu, Primeape, Ampharos, Octillery, Hitmontop, Druddigon
5 Rapidash, Marowak (original), Hitmonchan, Seaking, Bellossom, Volbeat, Gorebyss, Rampardos, Regigigas, Wishiwashi
4 Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Tauros, Meganium, Slaking, Manectric, Chimecho, Lopunny, Samurott, Garbodor, Alomomola
3 Sandslash, Vulpix (Alola), Kingler, Magmar, Miltank, Banette, Frogadier, Furfrou, Passimian
2 Hypno, Electabuzz, Furret, Sudowoodo, Torchic, Illumise, Wailord, Kricketune, Riolu, Beheeyem, Braixen, Poipole
1 Raticate, Meowth (Alola), Tangela, Dragonair, Bayleef, Stantler, Mightyena, Shroomish, Vigoroth, Nosepass, Plusle, Grumpig, Clamperl, Huntail, Pachirisu, Purugly, Lickilicky, Servine, Watchog, Simipour, Musharna, Roggenrola, Basculin (blue), Klang, Shelmet, Heatmor, Gogoat, Aromatisse, Sliggoo, Torracat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)