Battle Spot Singles: The Battle Spotter

I don't really have a creative name for this team (I actually have 3 t's in the name but for the sake of grammar I will tone it down). Sorry about that. I'm also not a fan of super flashy RMTs. I'd rather get straight to the point but still provide enough visuals to make it worth reading. Rambling aside, let's get to it:

What's up folks! Today I'm bringing you a Battle Spot Singles RMT. I mostly played OU in the past and I'm trying to get into battle spot since I want to get into playing on cartridge again and have short battles as opposed to 20 min+ OU matches. I'm still relatively new to the format.

The team itself:

/

Not too Farfetch'd eh? I made quite a few gimmicky teams before finally getting serious with this one. The usual main game plan is to lead off with a solid pokemon like Garchomp or Aegislash, once they go down, I bring in Wobbuffet to either end the game there or provide an opportunity for my final pokemon to come in and attain victory.

Note that I am open to completely changing Suicune, Aegislash and Serperior to completely different pokemon if needed.

In-Depth view:

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

I started off making this team with a Garchomp since I knew from experience that it was a quality pokemon to have on any team. He's proved himself quite worthy. Getting me out of tough situations with it's ability to soak up status and dish out pain while also being quite bulky. Earthquake and Outrage are rather self-explanatory as STAB moves. Swords Dance allows me to hit even harder, and with the lum berry, can prove very deadly for the opponent. For the final move I chose Fire Blast to deal with the likes of Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Blaziken (M) @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

As Blaziken and his mega-counterpart have been banned in OU. I felt compelled to use Blaziken as he was one of my favorite starters to use. Protect, Flare Blitz, and High Jump Kick are standard on him. I went with Stone Edge as my last move as my option to hit flying types like Thundurus, Zapdos, Salamence, and even Talonflame(how I can do that without getting a Brave Bird up the rear is right down below!) while also hitting other pokemon I can't super-effectively hit with a somewhat decently powered move.

Wobbuffet (M) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

The surprising hero of this team! I owe quite a few wins to this guy's utility. He usually comes in as my second pokemon of the battle. Initially I went with more mixed defenses but noticed that Wobbuffet would fall to physical moves very fast. With powerful pokemon like Garchomp, Kangaskhan and Charizard roaming around, I felt it nessecary to switch up my EVs. I adjusted the EVs and found much more success when deployed against them while still being able to take special moves with his HP bulk. Counter and Mirror Coat dish out heavy damage when he's attacked. Encore stops set-ups and lets me switch and counterattack rather than be swept. If Wobbuffet is hit too hard, Destiny Bond and Custap berry allow me to take down the foe with me. This has proven to be very effective, especially against damage-only megas and hard-hitters who attempt to take the game with brute force.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Afterwards I felt I needed a bulkier option who could take hits. Suicune was my choice boasting the classic CroCune set. Calm Mind sets up with Rest and Sleep Talk allowing me to heal and set up more while Scald provides damage and it's ever so useful burn utility. Unlike the previous 3 whose successes has been far and wide, Suicune rarely pulls through for me usually as a result of my opponent's team. However, when Suicune does show up, he assures me of victory more than any of the 3 I mentioned above with his presence alone.

Aegislash (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Looking at the 4 I had, I went with Aegislash to help deal with psychic, ghost, and most importantly fairy types. Weakness Policy proves to be a treat when it comes to nuking opponents. Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are good STAB moves. King's Shield lets me switch back to shield forme in case of over-prediction as well as a way to stop contact physical moves. Shadow Sneak makes an appearance as my last move as priority in case my 2 damage do not quite finish the job + the foe is at low HP.

Serperior (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Seeing what I needed to patch, I saw I lacked means to hit waters like Rotom-W, Azumarill and Suicune. All of which are prevalent pokemon I need to counter. I chose Serperior as my final Pokemon with its ability to gain momentum very quickly with Leaf Storm boosts (although I've had the misfortune of missing quite often with it somehow). To add some extra "oomph" to him I gave it a Choice Specs to hit even harder. Giga Drain, Dragon Pulse, and Hidden Power Fire round off my moveset should the occasion arise where I don't need to click Leaf Storm (which is pretty darn rare).

Problem Pokemon against this team:

Tank Talonflame: This has proven to be quite the nuisance for me as the only pokemon capable of going against it is Garchomp who can't OHKO it. I'm heavily considering replacing Fire Blast with Stone Edge for this.

Landorus-Therian: Due to it's myriad of sets it can really hurt my team with high power moves or constantly intimidate my physical attackers with a series of U-Turns.

Mega Charizard X: This thing coming in late usually wrecks me. Probably should say more but...i'm suddenly drawing a blank?!

Final Comments:

Besides the overwhelming bad luck i had the past few battles (*cough* Fire Blast and Leaf Storm missing *cough*) this team has proven to very successful for me and I want to see it go further than what it is right now. Any advice is appreciated! Have a Happy New Year folks!

Another good team. One thing that stands out to me is you have fire coverage on more things than you need, considering the Pokémon hit hardest by fire, like Scizor and Ferrothorn, are scared of Mega Blaziken. I'd take off Fire Blast from Chomp(and go Jolly ofc) and replace it with a rock type attack-probably Stone Edge since you don't have paralysis support to get the full advantage of Rock Slide. Is there much of a point to Relaxed instead of Bold on Wobbuffet? If not, go Bold to reduce SwagPlay damage, and be slightly faster for Encore. There's not much to say about Blaziken, Aegis, and Suicune since the sets are all so standard, so on to Serperior. You're not using Rocky Helmet, so the Solid Snake set from the Strategy Dex is an option. Specs seems okay, since Sap Sipper Pokes are few and far between, and Leaf Storm's growing power means even 4x grass resistant Pokes end up taking a beating if they switch in and then take a +2 Leaf Storm the next turn. I like having a grass type for Spore and stuff, so I agree with having Serperior on here, though move the 4 EVs in HP to SpD(for Download Pokes. Kinda a nitpick, but you did it for Blaziken) unless they actually help with something. Other than that, I have no suggestions, though I am wondering about your Wobbuffet's IVs. Are they 31/x/31/x/31/31 or close? I ask because you need Wynaut to learn Encore, and to get Wynaut one of the parents needs to hold that item that makes the egg hatch Wynaut instead of Wobb. Assuming the other Poke was Relaxed w/ an Everstone(it would've taken way longer to get a decent one if it wasn't) you can't have one of the parents holding a Destiny Knot, meaning only 3 IVs will pass. That ends up making it take forever to get a Wobbuffet with good IVs-and you can just forget about 0 Atk-so I want to know how you managed it, since this breeding problem is the main reason I'm not using a Wobbuffet(because no Encore=no dice.)

Another good team. One thing that stands out to me is you have fire coverage on more things than you need, considering the Pokémon hit hardest by fire, like Scizor and Ferrothorn, are scared of Mega Blaziken. I'd take off Fire Blast from Chomp(and go Jolly ofc) and replace it with a rock type attack-probably Stone Edge since you don't have paralysis support to get the full advantage of Rock Slide. Is there much of a point to Relaxed instead of Bold on Wobbuffet? If not, go Bold to reduce SwagPlay damage, and be slightly faster for Encore. There's not much to say about Blaziken, Aegis, and Suicune since the sets are all so standard, so on to Serperior. You're not using Rocky Helmet, so the Solid Snake set from the Strategy Dex is an option. Specs seems okay, since Sap Sipper Pokes are few and far between, and Leaf Storm's growing power means even 4x grass resistant Pokes end up taking a beating if they switch in and then take a +2 Leaf Storm the next turn. I like having a grass type for Spore and stuff, so I agree with having Serperior on here, though move the 4 EVs in HP to SpD(for Download Pokes. Kinda a nitpick, but you did it for Blaziken) unless they actually help with something. Other than that, I have no suggestions, though I am wondering about your Wobbuffet's IVs. Are they 31/x/31/x/31/31 or close? I ask because you need Wynaut to learn Encore, and to get Wynaut one of the parents needs to hold that item that makes the egg hatch Wynaut instead of Wobb. Assuming the other Poke was Relaxed w/ an Everstone(it would've taken way longer to get a decent one if it wasn't) you can't have one of the parents holding a Destiny Knot, meaning only 3 IVs will pass. That ends up making it take forever to get a Wobbuffet with good IVs-and you can just forget about 0 Atk-so I want to know how you managed it, since this breeding problem is the main reason I'm not using a Wobbuffet(because no Encore=no dice.)
Hahaha. I haven't actually built this team in-game yet, I made it on showdown and posted it here before making it. Thanks for the final push with Stone Edge on chomp. I'll definitely do that.

Despite what I said about the team I actually have begun with the Wobbuffet so I can answer your question. I actually have 31/31/31/x/31/x as my IVs. I'm just lazy with breeding and went with relaxed. If I get lucky hopefully I can hit klefki back harder and KO it easier with relaxed as my nature (only positive I can think of). Other than that it's just out of laziness.

Thanks for the help man.

You're welcome, and that's not that lazy, really. The presumably low spe IV doesn't really hurt you if you're Relaxed, and I guess the higher Atk helps with Countering Foul Play users, though the heightened confusion damage is unfortunate. Were you actually trying to get Relaxed, or did you have one parent with that stone to get Wynaut and the other with Destiny Knot and decided you were happy enough with these IVs and the nature you'd just stick with it? Breeding for a good Wynaut is too difficult(though I guess it's fairly easy as far as baby Pokémon that need one of the parents to hold an item since it doesn't really care about so many of its IVs.)

Have you thought about your Serperior? Like I said, I think your set could work, but I'd try the Solid Snake set, too, and compare. Talon could reasonably switch in on Serp, but it would be much less happy with you if you set up Reflect that turn, or planted a Leech Seed, than if you hit it with a 4x resisted Leaf Storm or a weak Dragon Pulse.

You're welcome, and that's not that lazy, really. The presumably low spe IV doesn't really hurt you if you're Relaxed, and I guess the higher Atk helps with Countering Foul Play users, though the heightened confusion damage is unfortunate. Were you actually trying to get Relaxed, or did you have one parent with that stone to get Wynaut and the other with Destiny Knot and decided you were happy enough with these IVs and the nature you'd just stick with it? Breeding for a good Wynaut is too difficult(though I guess it's fairly easy as far as baby Pokémon that need one of the parents to hold an item since it doesn't really care about so many of its IVs.)

Have you thought about your Serperior? Like I said, I think your set could work, but I'd try the Solid Snake set, too, and compare. Talon could reasonably switch in on Serp, but it would be much less happy with you if you set up Reflect that turn, or planted a Leech Seed, than if you hit it with a 4x resisted Leaf Storm or a weak Dragon Pulse.
Yeah I'll think about the Serperior set. Busy today Ill do some testing in a few days

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Overall this team looks pretty solid, but there's a few comments that should be made here.

As far as movesets go I'd definitely say scrap the Choice Specs on Serperior, the boosts from Leaf Storm will quickly trump the impact of Choice Specs and being locked makes all of your coverage moves far weaker than what they'd be after a Leaf Storm boost. Life Orb would be a much better alternative on offensive Serperior set, though Sash is an alternative that functions as an emergency check to a variety of threats which an offensive team like yours could benefit from. I actually don't think the team would benefit too from Serperior switching over to the bulky Rocky Helmet set since the team doesn't really struggle with Kangaskhan that much and the physical threats you struggle with aren't things that Serperior can really check. Just my opinion there though.

Also, this is important and comes up most often with Serperior. Since you want HP Fire Serperior, the EV spread you have there wastes EVs at level 50. Serperior actually wants 248 SpAtt / 12 SpDef / 248 Spe. Normally for EVs at level 50, the first stat point is gained after 4 EVs and then every 8 EVs after that, but since you need a 30 IV for HP Fire it needs 8 EVs for the first stat point and 8 for every point after. This also means you don't gain a stat point when jumping from 248 to 252. Special Defense is chosen in specific for Porygon2 Download.

For Wobbuffet, I will mention that typically a defensive EV spread gets more mileage out of investing in the weaker stats and running Bold/Relaxed is already giving you plenty of physical bulk (which Wobb definitely wants), so running 252 Def / 252 SpDef is typically the standard. Not a major complaint or anything though, and you've already mentioned having tried that and preferring pure phys def but it's something to note.

As for your Fire-type problem, there's a few options you have here. Given this is a Blaziken team, Stealth Rock on Garchomp is actually a good way of crippling both Charizard and Talonflame, making them both much easier to deal with provided you can take it out before they Roost off the damage. Giving Garchomp a Rock-type move is also not a bad call, though I would consider trying Scarf or Sash Garchomp in that case. Scarf still outspeeds +1 Charizard X while Sash is an all-around incredible item on Garchomp that can more or less guarantee you don't lose against those two if running Stone Edge (provided you don't miss). If you're considering a replacement then Rhyperior is actually a very solid option that beats both Talonflame and Charizard X while also serving as sturdy tank, though I'll leave that decision to you.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like this team, and I know Theorymon would approve of the Wobbuffet!

I agree that you don't really need Chomp to be mixed + Fire Blast since you have Blaziken to beat down on both Scizor and Ferro, so going for Jolly + Stone Edge / Rock Slide is a fine option , especially since you say that bulky Talonflame is an issue. Your team looks like it'd get swept by Dragon Dance Mega Salamence, so perhaps running Focus Sash instead of Lum Berry would be good so that you can get a clutch Outrage off!

Blaziken should definitely be Adamant, Speed Boost makes Jolly redundant unless you're trying to speed creep +1 Mega Charizard. Superpower is a great alternative to High Jump Kick, DragonWhale uses it when we stream ladder climbs on Smogon's Twitch channel, the accuracy is great and not giving recoil when you miss is cool (great for making plays against Aegislash such as whiffing a predicted King's Shield).

Wobbuffet is fine, and pretty much all BSS variants are max HP/Def to take on the big scary physical hitters in the meta. fwiw Omastar68 - you breed with the Wobbuffet holding a Lax Incense and a Ditto with the Destiny Knot and take the first +def nature you get. Bold, Impish and Relaxed are all fine.

I'm not a massive fan of Crocune here as I find the meta to be way too fast for it to work. I would definitely go for Chesto Berry over Leftovers, and Ice Beam over Sleep Talk so that you don't have to rely on mono-Water offense and can bop guys like Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite etc...

If you couldn't tell; I'm a fan of Aegislash, so I have no real issues with you using it. Only suggestion for it is to put the 4 Atk EVs in SpD for Download Porygon2. If you're open to changing him for another mon (and don't mind two megas), then I'd suggest using Mega Gengar. MegaGar pairs really nicely with Wobbuffet to form are really annoying Shadow Tag core to abuse Perish Song with. Here's the set that's popular:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb / Shadow Ball

I would personally use Sludge Bomb since without Aegislash your team has a hard time against Sylveon, but Shadow Ball is a fine option too.

Give Serperior your Focus Sash if Garchomp doesn't end up using it, as offensive Serp is actually kinda frail. I'd use Glare over Giga Drain too. I actually think defensive Serperior wouldn't be a horrible fit for this team, and definitely gets around the item clause way easier! Here's the set taken straight from our analysis from him for your convenience:

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Glare

That's all from me! Hope to see you posting in our Battle Spot forum or hanging out in our PS room sometime n_n

• Garchomp:
    • Rock coverage, potentially use Focus Sash
  • Blaziken
    • Jolly > Adamant, maybe also Superpower
  • Suicune:
    • Leftovers > Chesto Berry, Sleep Talk > Ice Beam
  • Aegislash:
    • fix EVs. potentially change it to PerishTrap Mega Gengar
  • Serperior:
    • Use Focus Sash if it's available, Giga Drain > Glare
    • potentially change to bulky set

edit: grammatical fixes + tl;dr

Last edited:
I like this team, and I know Theorymon would approve of the Wobbuffet!

I agree that you don't really need Chomp to be mixed + Fire Blast since you have Blaziken to beat down on both Scizor and Ferro, so going for Jolly + Stone Edge / Rock Slide is a fine option , especially since you say that bulky Talonflame is an issue. Your team looks like it'd get swept by Dragon Dance Mega Salamence, so perhaps running Focus Sash instead of Lum Berry would be good so that you can get a clutch Outrage off!

Blaziken should definitely be Adamant, Speed Boost makes Jolly redundant unless you're trying to speed creep +1 Mega Charizard. Superpower is a great alternative to High Jump Kick, DragonWhale uses it when we stream ladder climbs on Smogon's Twitch channel, the accuracy is great and not giving recoil when you miss is cool (great for making plays against Aegislash such as whiffing a predicted King's Shield).

Wobbuffet is fine, and pretty much all BSS variants are max HP/Def to take on the big scary physical hitters in the meta. fwiw Omastar68 - you breed with the Wobbuffet holding a Lax Incense and a Ditto with the Destiny Knot and take the first +def nature you get. Bold, Impish and Relaxed are all fine.

I'm not a massive fan of Crocune here as I find the meta to be way too fast for it to work. I would definitely go for Chesto Berry over Leftovers, and Ice Beam over Sleep Talk so that you don't have to rely on mono-Water offense and can bop guys like Mega Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite etc...

If you couldn't tell; I'm a fan of Aegislash, so I have no real issues with you using it. Only suggestion for it is to put the 4 Atk EVs in SpD for Download Porygon2. If you're open to changing him for another mon (and don't mind two megas), then I'd suggest using Mega Gengar. MegaGar pairs really nicely with Wobbuffet to form are really annoying Shadow Tag core to abuse Perish Song with. Here's the set that's popular:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb / Shadow Ball

I would personally use Sludge Bomb since without Aegislash your team has a hard time against Sylveon, but Shadow Ball is a fine option too.

Give Serperior your Focus Sash if Garchomp doesn't end up using it, as offensive Serp is actually kinda frail. I'd use Glare over Giga Drain too. I actually think defensive Serperior wouldn't be a horrible fit for this team, and definitely gets around the item clause way easier! Here's the set taken straight from our analysis from him for your convenience:

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Glare

That's all from me! Hope to see you posting in our Battle Spot forum or hanging out in our PS room sometime n_n

• Garchomp:
    • Rock coverage, potentially use Focus Sash
  • Blaziken
    • Jolly > Adamant, maybe also Superpower
  • Suicune:
    • Leftovers > Chesto Berry, Sleep Talk > Ice Beam
  • Aegislash:
    • fix EVs. potentially change it to PerishTrap Mega Gengar
  • Serperior:
    • Use Focus Sash if it's available, Giga Drain > Glare
    • potentially change to bulky set

edit: grammatical fixes + tl;dr
Thanks for the help. I've done the all changes that you've suggested with great success. Didn't actually notice that Blaziken wasn't adamant! Wonder how I mixed that up...

Garchomp now has stone edge (still kept Lum berry, super useful)
Blaziken got adamant nature
Suicune has chesto berry and ice beam
I changed Serperior to the bulky set
Aegislash to Mega-Gengar with perishtrap

The team has definitely improved after some testing. Thanks to everyone for your support. I look forward to becoming more active in the community.

Some replays to show off some highlights(if you need explanation on some plays I made, feel free to query. I can see why some of my plays could be questioned):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-310634088
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-310648135
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-310653847

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)