Other Metagames Sinister Steel (Mono-Steel Trick Room)

Trick Room. A niche move that has been the bane of my existence for as long as I have been on Showdown. It's not all that common, but when it comes up, it has always, and I mean always thrown me for a loop. I suspect the reason it's not common is that there is no 100% safe way to set it up (such as the Terrain or Weather abilities). But once it's up, you'll need a lot of priority or some deliberately-slow mons if you want to survive the onslaught.

I actually had this team idea in my mind for a while. Originally, my Steel team had two rather infamous mons: Kartana and Mega Metagross. When Kartana was banned, I swapped that out for a Z-Hone Claws Durant, which did surprisingly well. But I knew Metagrossite would become contraband in Monotype soon enough, so I had this little idea in my back pocket should the day ever come. And now that it has, I figured it was time to see just how good Trick Room really is. Presenting for your delectation:

Sinister Steel

UB-04 Blaster (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic

Formally an Automize sweeper, Celesteela (Code name UB-04 Blaster) now serves a different, much more annoying purpose. With Seeds and Toxic at its disposal, it can whittle down most opponents that come out to face it and stall them out with its great bulk. Even though it doesn't have much investment in Attack, it can still deal a hefty amount of damage with Heavy Slam. In fact, the only things that wall this thing completely are Liquid Ooze Tentacruel (something I found out while facing a similar set with my Water team) and Ferrothorn, and that's just two mons.

Best thing about this set is that Celesteela doesn't need Trick Room to function per se. It can still tank hits and whittle down foes on its own.

Escargoon (Escavalier) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Megahorn

Escargoon is one of the main Trick Room sweepers of the team. When the dimensions are twisted, this fellow can do some major damage with his dual STAB, Drill Run for pesky Fire types, and Knock Off for, well, pretty much anyone else who might try to wall him. With his Assault Vest on, special attacks mean very little to him. Unless it's a Fire type move. Let's not get crazy here.

Rocker (Aggron) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Aqua Tail
- Ice Punch

Although Aggronite has yet to arrive on the shores of Alola, that doesn't mean Rocker here can't pull his weight. He relies on the Trick Room to tip the scales in his favor, but once that's set up, he can run wild with his Choice Band wrecking everything in sight. He even has Aqua Tail and Ice Punch to deal with Ground types that normally would give him trouble.

Alistar (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt

This here is the glue that holds the team together. Alistar is the one who sets up the Trick Room and proceeds to let the other mons have at it. Stealth Rock comes in handy against Bug teams who thrive on speed, and thanks to its low Speed nature, Gyro Ball hits especially hard. Zen Headbutt comes in handy against Fighting types who might want to ruin the team's day.

Oblitus (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Tri Attack

Remember Proton from my previous RMT? Well, it's come back under a new moniker, Oblitus. And this fellow is not screwing around. A modification of the standard Scarf set, Oblitus won't need that when the Trick Room is set up. It can quickly pivot and KO with Volt Switch, and Flash Cannon can also hit rather hard with Specs. But should a Water/Ground type try to switch in, they'll be out of luck, as Hidden Power deals a swift, deciding blow. Tri Attack is basically for anything that walls the rest, which is honestly a very short list. I'd run Thunderbolt instead, but I always felt it was redundant, as Volt Switch has the added benefit of allowing you to pivot into something better. If you use your Thunderbolt and the opponent switches in to something that can tank it, you have to switch manually if you want to save your skin.

Lavos (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse

What's this? Heatran on a villain team? Don't be so shocked; there's more than one Heatran in this world. And Lavos is one of the nasty ones. Like Celesteela, he doesn't necessarily need Trick Room to function (though against certain opponents, it does help). While flying on his balloon, his great weakness to Ground is of no consequence, and his vast array of attacks means there isn't a mon alive who can completely wall him. Opponents such as Lanturn and Toxapex are swallowed up by Earth Power, and it's doubtful that Peliper would enjoy a Dragon Pulse to the face, even if it is a neutral hit.

This team has enjoyed a few minor victories since its inception, but nothing to the scale of my experience being on the receiving end of Trick Room. This play style really is difficult to pull off, especially since a turn of Trick Room has to be wasted for the setter to switch into something else. Does the team need more setters? Perhaps other mons that don't necessarily need Trick Room to function? As always, I'm willing to learn.

Last edited:
Hey Metool B, nice RMT! It seems pretty nice although I do have a suggestion to make.

The team seems to struggle once Trick Room is over, as fast threats can run rampant, and probably kill Bronzong after its weakened from setting up Trick Room the first time. Without another round of Trick Room, said threat would be scary to deal with.
Also electric types such as Tapu Koko/Xurkitree could be threatening there isn't much to take their STAB electric moves; and the only resist Magnezone, fails to hit the majority of electric types for good damage.

Therefore, I propose Choice Scarf Excadrill over Escavalier to remedy this issue.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Choice Scarf Excadrill can revenge kill threats such as Nidoking, Mega Manectric, and Infernape, as well as providing a nice check to electric teams in general. Furthermore, it can maybe even clean weakened teams after Trick Room is over.
Thanks for taking the time to read this ^-^, and I hope you consider my suggestion.

Well, Escavalier does have Assault Vest, and seeing as most Electric moves are special-based, I figure he can tank a few hits before launching off a Drill Run or disarming them with Knock Off. I see what you're saying about Excadrill, but the thing is that it can't function within Trick Room. Celesteela and Heatran don't necessarily need Trick Room, but they appreciate it when it's up. A Scarfed Excadrill, meanwhile, has to sit on the bench and wait for Bronzong to fall and Trick Room to be over. If there are Electric threats to deal with that are giving the team trouble, waiting that long might be costly.

Is there perhaps an alternative Excadrill set which can function both in and out of Trick Room?

Last edited:
Hey Metool B, I have a few suggestions for your Trick Room steel team.

First off, I echo Rage.Spam.Quit. 's suggestion of adding a scarf excadrill: Having a pokemon who can operate outside of trick room is vital for a trick room team to gain momentum on offensive threats and create opportunities to set trick room again.

Second off, I recommend adding on Magearna to your team, as it is one of the most potent trick room setters and abusers available. Here's a set I used to good effect on Trick Room Fairy.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
0 Speed IVs
- Fleur Cannon
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

This set can set trick room and sweep abusing the sheer, stupid power of Z-Fleur Cannon to nail a kill. If a sweep is not possible, Magearna can pivot out to other threats using volt switch without wasting trick room turns.

Hope these two suggestions help your team.

Last edited:
Hey Metool B, I have a few suggestions for your Trick Room steel team.

First off, I echo Rage.Spam.Quit. 's suggestion of adding a scarf excadrill: Having a pokemon who can operate outside of trick room is vital for a trick room team to gain momentum on offensive threats and create opportunities to set trick room again.

Second off, I recommend adding on Magearna to your team, as it is one of the most potent trick room setters and abusers available. Here's a set I used to good effect on Trick Room Fairy.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
0 Speed IVs
- Fleur Cannon
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

This set can set trick room and sweep abusing the sheer, stupid power of Z-Fleur Cannon to nail a kill. If a sweep is not possible, Magearna can pivot out to other threats using volt switch without wasting trick room turns.

Hope these two suggestions help your team.
First off, I might need to see the Mechanical Marvel movie, because otherwise, I'm not sure how Magearna fits on a villain team. Also, isn't it being suspected in Monotype, or at least aren't there people who want it banned?

Second, I already stated why I'm skeptical of Scarfed Excadrill. It can't function in Trick Room, meaning it has to wait on the bench until the setter is taken out and Trick Room is over. Heatran and Celesteela don't need Trick Room to function, but they appreciate it when it's up. If there was a way for Excadrill to be comfortable both in and out of Trick Room, I'd be all for that.

Which is why I'm glad someone in the chatroom suggested an Iron Ball/Fling set. While people are wondering why Excadrill is so slow to take advantage of Trick Room, only to be smashed by a Iron Ball to the face when Trick Room is over, that element of surprise will catch people off-guard. True, it's not as fast as a Scarf, but I don't see how else Excadrill can fit on this team.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
First off, I might need to see the Mechanical Marvel movie, because otherwise, I'm not sure how Magearna fits on a villain team. Also, isn't it being suspected in Monotype, or at least aren't there people who want it banned?

Second, I already stated why I'm skeptical of Scarfed Excadrill. It can't function in Trick Room, meaning it has to wait on the bench until the setter is taken out and Trick Room is over. Heatran and Celesteela don't need Trick Room to function, but they appreciate it when it's up. If there was a way for Excadrill to be comfortable both in and out of Trick Room, I'd be all for that.

Which is why I'm glad someone in the chatroom suggested an Iron Ball/Fling set. While people are wondering why Excadrill is so slow to take advantage of Trick Room, only to be smashed by a Iron Ball to the face when Trick Room is over, that element of surprise will catch people off-guard. True, it's not as fast as a Scarf, but I don't see how else Excadrill can fit on this team.
Magearna is not being suspected and the push for wanting it banned aren't defendable arguments. Most people that are against Magearna being allowed have a general consensus that they personally don't like facing the Pokemon so it should be banned.

An additional reason to use Magearna on your team, other than the fact that it's an amazing Pokemon, is that it too has access to Trick Room, meaning you now have a second, reliable option for setting up TR. Why is this important? Trick Room teams must have multiple Pokemon that can run Trick Room for the team to actually function efficiently, otherwise you'd always be going to one Pokemon to set up TR which becomes incredibly predictable in matches, ultimately giving you a rather large disadvantage. Plus, since you're running Bronzong as an offensive Pokemon, it's sustainability is rather poor and you won't be able to set Trick Room against Dark and Ghost teams, rendering your team design useless.

Regarding Excadrill, Trick Room needs at least 1 speed control Pokemon that doesn't actually utilize Trick Room in order to cover the turns when TR isn't up and when you will need a fast, hard-hitting Pokemon over the latter, because trust me, you will need it. The reason that Scarf Excadrill is good on a Trick Room team is that it is designed not to function in Trick Room, it's a great Pokemon for supporting that kind of team. Iron Ball/Fling would be an extremely gimmicky set that wouldn't exactly work well, if at all, since Excadrill isn't naturally fast enough for its base speed outside of Trick Room to make an impact in a game at all.

Magearna is not being suspected and the push for wanting it banned aren't defendable arguments. Most people that are against Magearna being allowed have a general consensus that they personally don't like facing the Pokemon so it should be banned.

An additional reason to use Magearna on your team, other than the fact that it's an amazing Pokemon, is that it too has access to Trick Room, meaning you now have a second, reliable option for setting up TR. Why is this important? Trick Room teams must have multiple Pokemon that can run Trick Room for the team to actually function efficiently, otherwise you'd always be going to one Pokemon to set up TR which becomes incredibly predictable in matches, ultimately giving you a rather large disadvantage. Plus, since you're running Bronzong as an offensive Pokemon, it's sustainability is rather poor and you won't be able to set Trick Room against Dark and Ghost teams, rendering your team design useless.

Regarding Excadrill, Trick Room needs at least 1 speed control Pokemon that doesn't actually utilize Trick Room in order to cover the turns when TR isn't up and when you will need a fast, hard-hitting Pokemon over the latter, because trust me, you will need it. The reason that Scarf Excadrill is good on a Trick Room team is that it is designed not to function in Trick Room, it's a great Pokemon for supporting that kind of team. Iron Ball/Fling would be an extremely gimmicky set that wouldn't exactly work well, if at all, since Excadrill isn't naturally fast enough for its base speed outside of Trick Room to make an impact in a game at all.
I certainly see what you're saying about multiple Trick Room setters. If I can find a way to make an evil Magearna, I'll certainly look into it.

Regarding Excadrill, though, I want to paint you a scenario. The initial reason Excadrill was pitched to me was that my team lacked an Electric check. So, let's say it's my Celesteela against a Lanturn, and there are three turns of Trick Room left. Mind games are at play. I could Leech Seed the Lanturn thus forcing a switch, but it might opt to use Volt Switch. Being specially defensive, Celesteela would tank it, but not well. I have the option to switch in my Excadrill to stop the switch and gain momentum. But uh oh! Scarfed Excadrill is slow as molasses in Trick Room! Meaning I either have to switch again and lose more momentum, or take a Scald to the face and lose my speed support.

Yes, I concede that Iron Ball/Fling is gimmicky, but at least it allows Excadrill to function both in and out of Trick Room. And what Electric types (barring Scarf users) are going to outrun 302 Speed? There's Tapu Koko (who is completely walled unless it's running a random Hidden Power), Alolan Raichu (who usually relies on Focus Miss), Raikou (which if my last RMT is any indication, no one uses anymore), and Galvantula (which is, again, completely walled unless it's running a random Hidden Power). Are there more I should be aware of?

I certainly see what you're saying about multiple Trick Room setters. If I can find a way to make an evil Magearna, I'll certainly look into it.

Regarding Excadrill, though, I want to paint you a scenario. The initial reason Excadrill was pitched to me was that my team lacked an Electric check. So, let's say it's my Celesteela against a Lanturn, and there are three turns of Trick Room left. Mind games are at play. I could Leech Seed the Lanturn thus forcing a switch, but it might opt to use Volt Switch. Being specially defensive, Celesteela would tank it, but not well. I have the option to switch in my Excadrill to stop the switch and gain momentum. But uh oh! Scarfed Excadrill is slow as molasses in Trick Room! Meaning I either have to switch again and lose more momentum, or take a Scald to the face and lose my speed support.

Yes, I concede that Iron Ball/Fling is gimmicky, but at least it allows Excadrill to function both in and out of Trick Room. And what Electric types (barring Scarf users) are going to outrun 302 Speed? There's Tapu Koko (who is completely walled unless it's running a random Hidden Power), Alolan Raichu (who usually relies on Focus Miss), Raikou (which if my last RMT is any indication, no one uses anymore), and Galvantula (which is, again, completely walled unless it's running a random Hidden Power). Are there more I should be aware of?
Here's another Scenario.

Trick Room has expired, and you're now faced with a Mega-Charizard Y. You'll need to sack something, but you have no way to revenge kill it. Heatran gets OHKOd by Focus Blast, everything else gets OHKOd by Fire STAB. How are you going to set Trick Room again to gain momentum without being able to force it, and other fire/electric types, out to get Bronzong or Magearna in safely?

iLlama

Thundurus, Thundurus-T, Scarf Magnezone, Sash Alolan Golem, Sash Galvantula, Scarf Magneton, Defensive Rotom-W, I can keep going if you want.

Thundurus, Thundurus-T, Scarf Magnezone, Sash Alolan Golem, Sash Galvantula, Scarf Magneton, Defensive Rotom-W, I can keep going if you want.
I'll give you Thunderus (can't believe I forgot about that guy), but I run a defensive Rotom Wash on my Electric team, and its speed is 210. That's less than 302. Alolan Golem's speed is even less, but since it's Sashed, I'll let that one slide.

I also said barring Choice Scarf users, meaning I have ways of dealing with them. I doubt they'd enjoy Celesteela sapping their health while it tanks their hits.

Here's another Scenario.

Trick Room has expired, and you're now faced with a Mega-Charizard Y. You'll need to sack something, but you have no way to revenge kill it. Heatran gets OHKOd by Focus Blast, everything else gets OHKOd by Fire STAB. How are you going to set Trick Room again to gain momentum without being able to force it, and other fire/electric types, out to get Bronzong or Magearna in safely?
That's assuming Focus Blast hits (there's a reason it's colloquially referred to as Focus Miss), and it assumes that I won't play mind games with the guy by switching in Celesteela to tank the Focus Blast, Protect to scout, and then back to Heatran to absorb the Flamethrower. Though you raise a good point about Heatran's coverage options. Most people opt not to use both of its STABS, and I'm starting to see why. I'm thinking Ancient Power might be a better option over Flash Cannon.

Also, any idea on how to make an evil Magearna? Or should I just say it's another Zoroark clone? If your answer is "it doesn't matter," then I'll just go with the latter option.

iLlama

I'll give you Thunderus (can't believe I forgot about that guy), but I run a defensive Rotom Wash on my Electric team, and its speed is 210. That's less than 302. Alolan Golem's speed is even less, but since it's Sashed, I'll let that one slide.

I also said barring Choice Scarf users, meaning I have ways of dealing with them. I doubt they'd enjoy Celesteela sapping their health while it tanks their hits.

That's assuming Focus Blast hits (there's a reason it's colloquially referred to as Focus Miss), and it assumes that I won't play mind games with the guy by switching in Celesteela to tank the Focus Blast, Protect to scout, and then back to Heatran to absorb the Flamethrower. Though you raise a good point about Heatran's coverage options. Most people opt not to use both of its STABS, and I'm starting to see why. I'm thinking Ancient Power might be a better option over Flash Cannon.

Also, any idea on how to make an evil Magearna? Or should I just say it's another Zoroark clone? If your answer is "it doesn't matter," then I'll just go with the latter option.
Excadrill doens't OHKO Rotom-W while Rotom-W does OHKO Excadrill, meaning whether or not it outspeeds naturally doesn't matter. And saying that "If Focus Blast hits," isn't an argument. You have to assume it will hit every time or you're not getting anywhere, because if it happens to miss, you were just incredibly lucky. For Heatran you should use Stone Edge over Flash Cannon because it hits Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona much better.

Plus, for Mega Charizard Y, there is no reason for your opponent to predict. They can just spam Fire Blast or Flamethrower until you switch to Heatran and then just Focus Blast or switch out. There is actually 0 risk for them to do so.

Excadrill doens't OHKO Rotom-W while Rotom-W does OHKO Excadrill, meaning whether or not it outspeeds naturally doesn't matter. And saying that "If Focus Blast hits," isn't an argument. You have to assume it will hit every time or you're not getting anywhere, because if it happens to miss, you were just incredibly lucky. For Heatran you should use Stone Edge over Flash Cannon because it hits Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona much better.

Plus, for Mega Charizard Y, there is no reason for your opponent to predict. They can just spam Fire Blast or Flamethrower until you switch to Heatran and then just Focus Blast or switch out. There is actually 0 risk for them to do so.
Isn't Stone Edge a physical move, though? I think Ancient Power would take better advantage of Heatran's Special stat.

Otherwise, alright, fine. I'll go with the Scarf and nix/retool my old Gen 6 Steel team. I have this weird thing where I don't like running the same mon with the same spread on two different teams.

iLlama

The point of running it is because it's stronger and physical. Mega Char Y and Volcarona can eat up Ancient Power with their special bulk and through Quiver Dance, while Stone Edge ignores both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)