Meteor Assault
|
(non-contact)
150 BP
100% Accuracy
5 PP (Max 8 PP)
User recharges the next turn.

Pros:
- Has a monstrous Attack-stat rivaled by only a select few mons. Coupled with a strong STAB Sirfetch'd can put serious dents into mons that don't resist it.
- Possesses a great ability in Scrappy which even received a valuable buff. On top of allowing Sirfetch'd to hit Ghosts, Scrappy now also blocks Intimidate.
- Access to Swords Dance means Sirfetch'd can boost his Attack to absurd levels.
- Its speed is just low enough to make a TR abuser passable. That same speed can be boosted by Max Airstream from Brave Bird to outspeed positively-natured base 120's at +1.

Cons:
- Sirfetch'd would have appreciated an additional flying-type to make use of STAB Brave Bird to deal with mons that do resist Close Combat, on top of avoiding a lot of hazards.
- Its bulk is decent at best. On top of that, Sirfetch'd's below-average speed means it will usually take a hit before dishing out damage.
- To make matters worse, it doesn't have any reliable recovery in its arsenal. This means it can't heal off recoil damage from brave bird either and Sirfetchd is prone to being worn down.
- Sirfetch'd would have to compete with mons like Hawlucha or Kommo-o if the team needs a fighting-type. While neither of them has Scrappy, they both make up for that by sporting a secondary typing with STAB that can hit ghosts and having better speed. However, Sirfetch'd can hit Aegislash for super-effective damage.

Dynamax Potential:
- Sirfetch'd has the two most important typings of moves that any generic physical attacker wants available to him: Fighting and Flying.
- Max Knucklestrike from Close Combat boosts Sirfetch'd's Attack by one stage, making it extremely devastating after a Swords Dance.
- Max Airstream, as discussed above, boosts its speed by one stage, allowing Sirfetch'd to attempt a sweep.
- Leaf Blade could be used to set Grassy Terrain, but you'd likely prefer to boost your attack and speed instead of doing that

Potential Movesets:

Swords Dance
Sirfetch'd @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off / Poison Jab

Swords Dance is what allows Sirfetch'd to reach a skyhigh attack and break through the opposing team. Close Combat and Brave Bird give Sirfetch'd decent coverage to hit basically everything neutrally, thanks to Scrappy. The last moveslot varies depending on how good you can handle fairies already. Sirfetch'd actually outspeeds a large portion of OU-legal fairies, so it's not completely hopeless when one switches in as you SD. Regardless, You will probably not survive for 3 turns if you don't dynamax, and with there being many better dynamax-abusers out there Sirfetch'd doesn't really stand a chance.

Trick Room abuser
Sirfetch'd @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Room Service
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Brave Bird

It's the same, but different. Room Service lowers your speed by one stage when TR is up, so you can underspeed more defensive pokemon. Brave Bird is slashed as you don't want to boost your speed with Dynamax.

Closing Thoughts:
Use Hawlucha. For real this pokemon managed to disappoint me even though I already didn't had any high expectations for it. Its Attack and Scrappy is the only thing that has going for it. It's coverage movepool is decent but those stats are so disappointing that you seldom will get anything out of it. It can maybe be a threat to more defensive teams but even then hazards and potentially status will wear you down fast. I guess it is also somewhat effective on a webs team but still nothing to write home about. The fact that Meteor Assault has 100% Accuracy is pretty neat though. Normally, recharge-moves have 90% Accuracy.

I think in OU it’s gonna have a hard time establishing its own niche because of the reasons mentioned above. However if it falls below OU it could be pretty devastating, especially with all of the dynamax potential as mentioned above.

Is Leek not worth any consideration at all?
Relatively consistent (50%) crits to threaten some reflect or max steelspike boosted setups could be valuable and is something that at least only it can do.

Is Leek not worth any consideration at all?
Relatively consistent (50%) crits to threaten some reflect or max steelspike boosted setups could be valuable and is something that at least only it can do.
It still only works on Farfetch'd. It works on Galarian Farfetch'd though, so it could be useful in LC.

I was very surprised by this mon in my Trick Room team. Scrappy is very helpful with Aegislash and Dragapult running around.

First Impression is a move that was helpful more often than expected as well; frequently catches the opponent off-guard and means he isn't totally useless if Trick Room is down.

It still only works on Farfetch'd. It works on Galarian Farfetch'd though, so it could be useful in LC.
Unless I've had the most ungodly RNG ever it most definitely works on Sirfetch'd too, I used it on my main team and leaf blade only missed crits on stuff with crit protection like Drednaw, it wasn't affection crits either since those have a different text message.

EDIT: Yeah I just tried exhausting leaf blade's 15 PP on route 1 mons with Leek Sirfetch'd, every single one was a crit with the regular critical hit message.

Last edited:
If Leek really does guarantee crits that's pretty cool. It breaks through Max def buffs and negates King's Shield. It's also basically a Choice Band that lets you switch moves. Always crit First Impression is also cool.

Otherwise it seems too slow and frail to function in OU. Could be a fun gimmick though.

Edit: high crit rate moves only have guaranteed crits, 50% crits on those that don't. Eh still not bad. You're using a Farfetch'd, roll the dice with Leek.

Last edited:
If Leek really does guarantee crits that's pretty cool. It breaks through Max def buffs and negates King's Shield. It's also basically a Choice Band that lets you switch moves. Always crit First Impression is also cool.

Otherwise it seems too slow and frail to function in OU. Could be a fun gimmick though.
It doesn't guarantee crits, but it ups your critical hit rate by 2 stages which gives you 50% rate, crit moves like leaf blade up it by another stage and make it 100%
Sadly Sirfetch'd doesn't have that many worthwhile crit moves though, only leaf blade really provides decent power and coverage, the only other notable one is night slash, which is quite weak.

The closest thing to compare Sirfetch’d to would be Pangoro, who got Close Combat this gen. They both have Scrappy and similar stats (Sirfetch’d’s are a bit better), but Pangoro has far more tricks up its sleeve, so to speak, between a secondary Dark stab, better coverage options, and a pivoting move. The main differences are Brave Bird which is.... okay but doesn’t actually hit most Fighting resists harder than Poison Jab or Knock Off, main exception being Toxapex, and also choice of priority move. First Impression can be strong on a choice band set but it doesn’t help that lots of offensive Pokemon currently resist Bug (Hawlucha and Gyarados are big ones).

Basically, Pangoro’s cool as hell and I’d rather use it over Sirfetch’d most of the time, although Sirfetch’d is a baller as well.

I can nearly guarantee it works on Sirfetch’d. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t get a crit with it on cartridge, it was days ago. Literally every attack. I would like to see a datamine source but I’m confident it applies. Sirfetch’d is certainly going to be sub-OU from the looks of things, but Leek could be an item possibility for it.

I don’t think Swords Dance is a set worth running on Sirfetch’d, (even if you’re running Quick Attack, which you should be), because it’s too damn slow to do anything with the boosts. It hits hard enough without an SD anyway, so I think that’s just not a good set. Instead, the move that imo every Sirfetch’d should be running that will actually give it somewhat of a niche in lower tiers is First Impression. Do I need to emphasize how powerful a 90 BP priority move is on a 135 base attack ‘mon running Adamant? You pick up so many revenge kills that way. I’d say Choice Band/Leak 4 attacks with CC/First Impression/Knock Off/Poison Jab is by far the best set. EVs are max attack with the rest allocated to bulk in whatever way would best allow it to eat hits from relevant threats; don’t bother with any Speed. SD sets only have any use on Trick Room; otherwise, if you’re not abusing First Impression, don’t use Sirfetch’d.

EDIT: I actually saw Joey speed creep his Sirfetch’d to outspeed Corviknight in a recent video of his after I posted this comment, so I’ll amend my “don’t bother with any speed” to “only invest EVs into speed as you deem necessary for speed creep”.

Last edited:

Marigold

formerly KuraiTenshi26
I think strong bug-type priority is an interesting niche over other fighting types, notably Conkeldurr. Whether Sirfetch'd is OU-viable or not is up for exploration, but it definitely seems like a wallbreaker that would appreciate a hit-and-run playstyle as opposed to a setup sweeping role. Being hard-walled by Toxapex sucks, so Sirfetch'd would absolutely appreciate a teammate that abuses Pex for free. Rotom-W comes to mind as a potentially great teammate with Volt-Turn support as well as punishing Toxapex, I'll definitely consider giving it a shot in OU sometime!

As for metagames aside from OU, it could have a niche on monotype Fighting teams for a strong anti-psychic matchup similar to how Pangoro functions. Strong priority could be a good niche at the cost of STAB Knock Off, but we'll see.

Sirfetch'd @ Choice Band
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

The speed investment allows Sirfetch'd to outspeed and 2hko physdef Mandibuzz. Poison Jab helps a ton vs Clefable, and First Impression is the niche over other fighting types. Looks like a fun set to abuse, especially if this descends into a UU of sorts.

That cannot be true. He crits every round of combat in my playthrough.

IMO stick is his defining trait, and if you don’t use it then you may as well use any other fighting type that has more unique traits.

those are big words, no doubt, but being able to come out and deal extra damage without wasting a turn to boost, breaking through defense boosts, and retaining the ability to swap moves has to have some use

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
The stick 100% works on Sirfetch’d (focus energy+stick ensured crits on my playthrough), but 50% more damage 50% of the time is hard to justify over the consistency of Choice Band. I guess if you don’t want to get locked into First Impression it’s worth the gamble, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

The stick 100% works on Sirfetch’d (focus energy+stick ensured crits on my playthrough), but 50% more damage 50% of the time is hard to justify over the consistency of Choice Band. I guess if you don’t want to get locked into First Impression it’s worth the gamble, but otherwise I wouldn’t bother.
That cannot be true. He crits every round of combat in my playthrough.

IMO stick is his defining trait, and if you don’t use it then you may as well use any other fighting type that has more unique traits.

those are big words, no doubt, but being able to come out and deal extra damage without wasting a turn to boost, breaking through defense boosts, and retaining the ability to swap moves has to have some use
I can nearly guarantee it works on Sirfetch’d. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t get a crit with it on cartridge, it was days ago. Literally every attack. I would like to see a datamine source but I’m confident it applies. Sirfetch’d is certainly going to be sub-OU from the looks of things, but Leek could be an item possibility for it.
Unless I've had the most ungodly RNG ever it most definitely works on Sirfetch'd too, I used it on my main team and leaf blade only missed crits on stuff with crit protection like Drednaw, it wasn't affection crits either since those have a different text message.

EDIT: Yeah I just tried exhausting leaf blade's 15 PP on route 1 mons with Leek Sirfetch'd, every single one was a crit with the regular critical hit message.
OK OK I GET IT! The description of the item on showdown still only says Farfetch'd so I thought that meant it couldn't work on Sirfetch'd. My bad

As someome who had ranked 3rd on ladder with Sirfetch'd and won a OU Room tour, let me have some words about the Mon.

First, why does it not get neither U-Turn, nor Roost? It would have been so much better.

With that out of the way, the reality is harsh, Sirfetch'd has 0 chances to be an OU Mon. A Ou breaker or sweeper absolutely needs to have a way to break Toxapex or to at least lure it in to switch with U-Turn. to a counter. Sirfetch'd has 0 conventional ways to beat a Toxapex unless its really damaged, at which point you could use almost any Mon for the job.

But I got asked by a friend to build a team with Sirfetch'd, so how could I make it useful when miriados of better bulky Fighting types exist? As I already said, conventional Sets, the one that will work in whatever Tier Sirfetch'd ends up in, won,t work. So, I had to think out of the box, something that in those Tiers won,t be the optimal way to use Sirfetch'd but in OU would be his only chance to succeed. My first attemt was to take advantage of Status that Toxapex could bring. With this set:

Sir Duck (Sirfetch'd) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Protect

Scrappy + Normal-Fighting makes a perfect coverage and +2 Facade at 140 power does huge damage to everything that doesn,t resist it. Protect lets our Duck to scout choiced Mons like Darmanitan and recover 6% with lefties. 32 EVs in Speed let Sirfetch'd outspeed those Corviknights that fear Timid Hatterene and are EVed to outspeed it. The rest goes in Bulk, which for an offensive Mon, Sirfetch'd has a decent one.

However, the set didn,t work for different reasons. It was worn down very quickly with Status and if said status was a burn, Corviknight switched in easily and walled Sirfetch'd to no end. Also, Ironically I ended up receiving more damage from Dittos transformed into Sirfetch'd than doing it with the duck.

So, I had to think a better set:

Sir Duck (Sirfetch'd) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Body Slam
- Substitute

Sirfetch'd has enough bulk to Sub on a Toxapex and on Hex variants of Galarian Corsola. It also scares away Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, so that is an easy Sub. From there, Sirfetch'd can either SD or fish for Paralisis with Body Slam. The normal-fighting coverage is still perfect and his attack stat great. Of course, its still Sirfetch'd, so it needs a lot of support in form of Volturn and a Wisher, among other things. But now, he also provides support with paras when it can,t sweep. Pair it with another para user like Belly Drum Snorlax in a bulky team, and Stall with the rest of the team, waiting for the oportunity to sweep with either Sirfetch,d or his other slow partner sweeper.

This is what I belive the best set Sirfetch'd has in OU Metagame for those who attempt to use this Mon. Gamefreak must hate it in order to design his Stats, Typing and Movepool so badly, but he is still a viable pick in the Metagame if you can support it well enough.

As far as I can see with OU trends Scrappy Close Combat seems really spammable. You're right, probably just band it and rack up those unsuspecting Aegislash kills.

Sirfetch'd @ Choice Band
[/QUOTE]
I feel like leek might be better for sirfetch'd, ignoring defense boosts and not being locked into a move seems like a good tradeoff for the reliability of the boost choice band gives to me. You can use swords dance and have leaf blade as part of sirfetch'd's coverage to get massive and reliable crits.

Gamefreak must hate it in order to design his Stats, Typing and Movepool so badly, but he is still a viable pick in the Metagame if you can support it well enough.
They probably designed it around in game usage. In game, with Affection doubling your crit chance, Leek means a crit every single attack no matter what move you use. So, for instance, the attack drop from Superpower doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)