OU Skarmory (Specially Defensive)

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: AM, Leftiez, KratosMana
GP: Snobalt / P Squared, antemortem

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Roost
move 4: Whirlwind / Taunt
ability: Sturdy
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
nature: Careful

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Iron Head allows Skarmory to hit Fairy-types super effectively. Spikes punishes foes whenever they switch, and is stackable for racking up even more damage. Roost keeps Skarmory healthy throughout the match. Whirlwind phazes foes and prevents Skarmory from becoming setup bait, and the move works exceptionally well in tandem with Spikes. However, Taunt is a viable alternative over Whirlwind or Iron Head for preventing slower Pokemon from using Skarmory as setup bait, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus and Spikes Ferrothorn. Counter takes on physical attackers such as Azumarill, Bisharp, and Mega Metagross better. Stealth Rock is usable over Spikes, but only if you do not have a better Stealth Rock setter on your team. Defog is a great move to remove entry hazards, but Skarmory should only use it if it is not using Spikes, as otherwise it is counterproductive. Toxic is able to cripple Pokemon that it otherwise can't touch, such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Hippowdon, and Keldeo.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs along with a Careful nature maximize Skarmory's special bulk. 248 HP EVs let Skarmory take one less point of Stealth Rock and residual damage, such as from burns. Sturdy ensures that Skarmory can never be OHKOed when at full health. Leftovers gives Skarmory passive recovery. Alternatively, Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers, while a Shed Shell can be used to prevent Skarmory from being trapped by Magnezone or Gothitelle.

Usage Tips
========

Specially defensive Skarmory is a great counter to many prominent Fairy-types in the tier such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, and Sylveon. Skarmory is also a good check to other special attackers such as Landorus that lack Focus Blast, Latias, Latios, and Tornadus-T. Specially defensive Skarmory still has great physical bulk, so it is a great check to many physical attackers as well. Skarmory is able to take advantage of its walling capabilities by stacking Spikes against foes that are unable to break it.

Team Options
========

Skarmory fits best on balance teams and pairs exceptionally well with users of Stealth Rock such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Seismitoad, as their combined entry hazards are great at wearing down opposing teams. These Pokemon also handle the Electric-types that trouble Skarmory, and in return, Skarmory takes on annoying Grass-types such as Celebi. Tyranitar is able to Pursuit trap Latios, Latias, and Starmie, which helps keep Skarmory's Spikes on the field. Latios, Latias, and Mega Altaria are able to handle Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y, two Pokemon that are otherwise troublesome for Skarmory. Mega Sableye is able to keep opposing entry hazards off the field with Magic Bounce and it also takes on special attackers that give Skarmory trouble, such as Thundurus and Gengar. In return, Skarmory counters the Fairy-types that these Pokemon hate. Tail Glow Manaphy and Mega Charizard X appreciate Spikes so that they can break through opposing teams much easier, and the latter also has amazing type synergy with Skarmory. Skarmory hates status effects, so clerics and status absorbers such as Clefable, Gliscor, and Rain Dance Manaphy pair well with it. Bulky Grass-types such as Celebi, Tangrowth, and Mega Venusaur take on the Water-types that Skarmory struggles with. Water-immune Pokemon such as Gastrodon, Toxicroak, and Seismitoad do this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i think this is qc ready. im sure i got everything but if i missed something lemme know

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
@AM:maybe some cleric options for team options since like it's suppose to check stuff such as m-gard but can catch a willowisp or just be annoyed by burns and para in general. Defensive status absorbers like rain dance manaphy and clefable can work to

Was asked to put it here for reminder.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mention Rocky Helmet since it enables you to do something to Metagross besides just phaze it out without having to resort to running Counter, and is just a very useful item for Skarmory to run for chipping down opposing Pokemon in general, especially on teams which heavily rely on chip damage via Spikes. Also mention Shed Shell in set details because of Magnezone and Gothitelle.

Also I'd mention Scarf TTar in partners because it traps Latis and Starmie which can remove your spikes, handles Fire types and a few Electric types, and hates fairies.

You should mention toxic as OO, in my opinion it can definitly be good especially when skarmory can be a bait for most of pokemon such as Rotom-W / Slowbro / Keldeo / Hippowdon or even Charizard / Talonflame while with toxic you will be able to punish them and act like a good toxicstaller due to your solid bulk, indeed you will be forced to run toxic + iron head, but it will increase Skarmory's effectiveness in addition to increase your momentum (assuming you have something better for Scizor / Bisharp)

Then i would have put Gastrodon as team option since they have pretty good defensive synergy.
Skarmory can take grass while gastro can take Elec/Fire.

2/3 after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you're going to add gastrodon as a teammate just on the basis of defensive synergy you should add seismitoad as well since it can set up stealth rock alongside skarmory's spikes while also providing that solid team synergy.

More counters to bulky waters should be mentioned in the teammates section. Gastrodon and seismitoad were brought up, but I think you could also mention grass-types such as Celebi and Mega Venusaur.

You could also mention that skarm makes a solid switch-in to Latios lacking Thunderbolt / HP Fire and Tornadus-T as well.

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Looks good. Just mention the use of Taunt over the iron head slot on "moves" section, as it can be pretty useful on skarm(even spdef).

QC 3/3

Clone

Free Gliscor
Looks good. Just mention the use of Taunt over the iron head slot on "moves" section, as it can be pretty useful on skarm(even spdef).

QC 3/3
i have taunt slashed with ww rn, so im a bit curious as to why it would be mentioned in moves over iron head (esp when ih 1/2/3hkoes all the fairies in the tier).

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
i have taunt slashed with ww rn, so im a bit curious as to why it would be mentioned in moves over iron head (esp when ih 1/2/3hkoes all the fairies in the tier).
Due to the utility of taunt being of higher value to a team than Iron Head would at times, shutting down a ton of walls(Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, Chansey and many others, even Clefable due to it being SPdef). Yes you have it slashed, but a 4 support move skarmory is viable, tho not seem that much. No need to slash it, just a mention on moves part n_n

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AM check
Add
Remove
Comment

rip fairies Specially Defensive (Considering this is a new set, I don't think it should have a funny name until it gains more ground.)
########
name: rip fairies Specially Defensive

Moves
========
(add line)
Iron Head allows Skarmory to hit the Fairy-types it checks super effectively. Spikes punish punishes foes whenever they switch, (RC) and are is (I have been told that when referring to the move itself, Spikes is singular; I could be wrong though) stackable to rack up even more damage. Roost keeps Skarmory healthy throughout the match. Whirlwind phazes opponents foes and enables Skarmory to not be setup bait, and it the move works exceptionally well in tandem with Spikes. However, Taunt is a viable alternative over Whirlwind or Iron Head to prevent slower Pokemon from using Skarmory as setup bait, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus or Spikes Ferrothorn. Counter is an option to take on physical attackers such as Azumarill, Bisharp, and Mega Metagross better. Stealth Rock is usable over Spikes, but only if you do not have a better Stealth Rock setter on your team. Defog is a great move to use in general (not liking this wording; try "way to remove entry hazards"), but Skarmory should only use it if it is not using Spikes, as otherwise it is counterproductive. Finally, Toxic is able a way to cripple Pokemon that it Skarmory otherwise can’(replace with ')t touch, such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Hippowdon, and Keldeo.

Set Details
========
(add line)
The Special Defense and HP EVs along with a Careful nature (you should let the reader know what a Careful nature does; it's not as common as Adamant/Modest/Timid/Jolly) maximize Skarmory’(replace with ')s special bulk. 248 HP EVs let Skarmory take one less point of Stealth Rock and residual (what residual damage are you referring to here?) damage. Sturdy is the ability of choice as it ensures that Skarmory can never be OHKOed when at full health. Leftovers gives Skarmory passive recovery. Alternatively, a Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers, while a Shed Shell can be used to not be trapped by Magnezone or Gothitelle.

Usage Tips
========
(add line)
Specially defensive Skarmory is a great counter to many prominent Fairy-types in the tier such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, and Sylveon. Skarmory is also a good check to other special attackers such as Landorus that lack Focus Blast, Latias, Latios, and Tornadus-T. Specially defensive Skarmory still has great physical bulk, so it is a great check to many physical attackers as well. Skarmory is able to take advantage of its walling capabilities by stacking Spikes against opponents foes that are unable to break it.

Team Options
========
(add line)
Skarmory fits best on balance teams, (RC) and pairs exceptionally well with users of Stealth Rock such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Seismitoad, (AC) as their combined entry hazards are great at wearing down opposing teams. These Pokemon also handle the Electric-types that trouble Skarmory (such as?), and in return, (AC) Skarmory takes on annoying Grass-types such as Celebi. Tyranitar is able to Pursuit Trap trap Latios, Latias, and Starmie, which helps keep Skarmory’(replace with ')s Spikes on the field. Latios, Latias, and Mega Altaria are able to handle Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y, two Pokemon that are otherwise troublesome for Skarmory. Mega Sableye is able to keep opposing entry hazards off the field with its Magic Bounce, (RC) and it also takes on special attackers that give Skarmory trouble such as Thundurus and Gengar. In return, Skarmory counters the Fairy-types that these Pokemon (which Pokemon are you referring to?) hate. Tail Glow Manaphy and Mega Charizard X appreciate Spikes so that they can break through opposing teams much easier, while the latter also has amazing type (defensive, offensive, or both?) synergy with Skarmory. Skarmory hates status effects, so Clerics clerics and status absorbers such as Clefable, Gliscor, and Rain Dance Manaphy pair well with it. Finally, bulky Bulky Grass-types, such as Celebi, Tangrowth, and Mega Venusaur, take on the Water-types that Skarmory struggles with. Water-immune Pokemon such as Gastrodon, Toxicroak, and Seismitoad do this as well.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
stamped Snobalt for GP 1/2 with a couple extra things ^_^
add remove comment
rip fairies Specially Defensive (Considering this is a new set, I don't think it should have a funny name until it gains more ground.)
########
name: rip fairies Specially Defensive
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD SDef

Moves
========
(add line)
Iron Head allows Skarmory to hit the Fairy-types it checks super effectively. Spikes punish punishes foes whenever they switch, (RC) and are is (I have been told that when referring to the move itself, Spikes is singular; I could be wrong though) (that's what I think, at least) stackable to rack up even more damage. Roost keeps Skarmory healthy throughout the match. Whirlwind phazes opponents foes and enables Skarmory to not be setup bait, and it the move works exceptionally well in tandem with Spikes. However, Taunt is a viable alternative over Whirlwind or Iron Head to prevent slower Pokemon from using Skarmory as setup bait, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus or and Spikes Ferrothorn. Counter is an option to take on physical attackers such as Azumarill, Bisharp, and Mega Metagross better. ("better" seems okay to me) Stealth Rock is usable over Spikes, but only if you do not have a better Stealth Rock setter on your team. Defog is a great move to use in general (not liking this wording; try "way to remove entry hazards"), but Skarmory should only use it if it is not using Spikes, as otherwise it is counterproductive. Finally, Toxic is able a way ("able" looks fine to me imo? the addition is also fine though) to cripple Pokemon that it Skarmory otherwise can’(replace with ')t touch, such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Hippowdon, and Keldeo.

Set Details
========
(add line)
The Special Defense and HP EVs along with a Careful nature (you should let the reader know what a Careful nature does; it's not as common as Adamant/Modest/Timid/Jolly) maximize Skarmory’(replace with ')s special bulk. 248 HP EVs let Skarmory take one less point of Stealth Rock and residual (what residual damage are you referring to here?) damage. Sturdy is the ability of choice as it ensures that Skarmory can never be OHKOed when at full health. Leftovers gives Skarmory passive recovery. Alternatively, a Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers, while a Shed Shell can be used to prevent Skarmory from being not be trapped by Magnezone or Gothitelle.

Usage Tips
========
(add line)
Specially defensive Skarmory is a great counter to many prominent Fairy-types in the tier(optional comma, just for clarity) such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, and Sylveon. Skarmory is also a good check to other special attackers such as Landorus that lack Focus Blast, Latias, Latios, and Tornadus-T. Specially defensive Skarmory still has great physical bulk, so it is a great check to many physical attackers as well. Skarmory is able to take advantage of its walling capabilities by stacking Spikes against opponents foes that are unable to break it.

Team Options
========
(add line)
Skarmory fits best on balance teams, (RC) and pairs exceptionally well with users of Stealth Rock such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Seismitoad, (AC) as their combined entry hazards are great at wearing down opposing teams. These Pokemon also handle the Electric-types that trouble Skarmory (such as?), and in return, (AC) Skarmory takes on annoying Grass-types such as Celebi. Tyranitar is able to Pursuit Trap trap Latios, Latias, and Starmie, which helps keep Skarmory’(replace with ')s Spikes on the field. Latios, Latias, and Mega Altaria are able to handle Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y, two Pokemon that are otherwise troublesome for Skarmory. Mega Sableye is able to keep opposing entry hazards off the field with its Magic Bounce, (RC) and it also takes on special attackers that give Skarmory trouble(comma, just for clarity) such as Thundurus and Gengar. In return, Skarmory counters the Fairy-types that these Pokemon (which Pokemon are you referring to?) hate. Tail Glow Manaphy and Mega Charizard X appreciate Spikes so that they can break through opposing teams much easier, while and the latter also has amazing type (defensive, offensive, or both?) synergy with Skarmory. Skarmory hates status effects, so Clerics clerics and status absorbers such as Clefable, Gliscor, and Rain Dance Manaphy pair well with it. Finally, bulky Bulky Grass-types, such as Celebi, Tangrowth, and Mega Venusaur, take on the Water-types that Skarmory struggles with. Water-immune Pokemon such as Gastrodon, Toxicroak, and Seismitoad do this as well.

Why Defog is not at least slashed after Spikes ? Removing hazards is very important in the metagame and there are a few viable hazard removers (Excadrill, Starmie, Lati@s, Tentacruel, Skarmory, and to a lesser extent, Empoleon and Mandibuzz). When using Skarmory, having a good Defog user is usually prefered over Spikes utility.

Clone

Free Gliscor
Snobalt P Squared did the grammar stuff. one thing i want to mention:

(which Pokemon are you referring to?)

There was no way i could word this sufficiently, at least in my opinion, so i did my best to make it sound like i was talking about all the mons i listed in the team options section since skarm is sued to counter fairies. maybe the next gp checker could help with the wording of this section?

Ptyra defog is already mentioned in moves.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive

Moves
========

Iron Head allows Skarmory to hit Fairy-types super effectively. Spikes punishes foes whenever they switch, and is stackable to for racking up even more damage. Roost keeps Skarmory healthy throughout the match. Whirlwind phazes foes and enables prevents Skarmory from becoming to not be setup bait, and the move works exceptionally well in tandem with Spikes. However, Taunt is a viable alternative over Whirlwind or Iron Head to for preventing slower Pokemon from using Skarmory as setup bait, such as Calm Mind Reuniclus and Spikes Ferrothorn. Counter is an option to could take on physical attackers such as Azumarill, Bisharp, and Mega Metagross better. Stealth Rock is usable over Spikes, but only if you do not have a better Stealth Rock setter on your team. Defog is a great move to remove entry hazards, but Skarmory should only use it if it is not using Spikes, as otherwise it is counterproductive. Toxic is able to cripple Pokemon that it otherwise can't touch, such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Hippowdon, and Keldeo.

Set Details
========

The Special Defense and HP EVs along with a Careful nature maximize Skarmory's special bulk. 248 HP EVs let Skarmory take one less point of Stealth Rock and residual damage, such as from burns. Sturdy ensures that Skarmory can never be OHKOed when at full health. Leftovers gives Skarmory passive recovery. Alternatively, Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers, while a Shed Shell can be used to prevent Skarmory from being trapped by Magnezone or Gothitelle.

Usage Tips
========

Specially defensive Skarmory is a great counter to many prominent Fairy-types in the tier,(RC) such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable, and Sylveon. Skarmory is also a good check to other special attackers such as Landorus that lack Focus Blast, Latias, Latios, and Tornadus-T. Specially defensive Skarmory still has great physical bulk, so it is a great check to many physical attackers as well. Skarmory is able to take advantage of its walling capabilities by stacking Spikes against foes that are unable to break it.

Team Options
========

Skarmory fits best on balance teams and pairs exceptionally well with users of Stealth Rock such as Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Seismitoad, as their combined entry hazards are great at wearing down opposing teams. These Pokemon also handle the Electric-types that trouble Skarmory, and in return, Skarmory takes on annoying Grass-types such as Celebi. Tyranitar is able to Pursuit trap Latios, Latias, and Starmie, which helps keep Skarmory's Spikes on the field. Latios, Latias, and Mega Altaria are able to handle Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y, two Pokemon that are otherwise troublesome for Skarmory. Mega Sableye is able to keep opposing entry hazards off the field with Magic Bounce and it also takes on special attackers that give Skarmory trouble, such as Thundurus and Gengar. In return, Skarmory counters the Fairy-types that these Pokemon hate. Tail Glow Manaphy and Mega Charizard X appreciate Spikes so that they can break through opposing teams much easier, and the latter also has amazing type synergy with Skarmory. Skarmory hates status effects, so clerics and status absorbers such as Clefable, Gliscor, and Rain Dance Manaphy pair well with it. Bulky Grass-types,(RC) such as Celebi, Tangrowth, and Mega Venusaur,(RC) take on the Water-types that Skarmory struggles with. Water-immune Pokemon such as Gastrodon, Toxicroak, and Seismitoad do this as well.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)