Skorupi (BW2 Revamp)

Skorupi (BW2 Revamp):Hazard phazer
QC 0/3

GP 0/2
[Overview]
  • Amazing 90 Defence
  • A Godsend in the form of 4x's resistance to fighting
  • Since its a phazer, it can opens up moveslots for teamates that would normaly phaze
  • Competitively, it does not fear many types
  • Knock off wrecks 99.99% of the metagame
  • Skorupi faces stiff competition with other bug hazard setters since they can set up beter hazards
  • Not only is Skorupi weak to SR, its also weak to spikes
  • Rapid Spinners ruin Skorupi's day
  • No form of recovery outside of Rest
  • Subpar Stats really make Skorupi lose appeal
  • Pitiful movepool reallly restricts Skorupi effectiveness

[Set]
Set Name: Hazard Phazer
Move 1: Toxic Spikes
Move 2: Whirlwind
Move 3: Knock off/ Taunt
Move 4: Poison Jab
Item: Eviolite
Abitlity: Battle Armor
Nature: Impish/Careful
Evs: 196 HP/ 100 Def/ 156 SpD/ 20 Spe
  • Ghost and Fighting types are wall by Skorupi
  • Most poison types are also walled by Skorupi
  • Whirlwind allows Skorupi to poison and incoming pokemon while racking some well needed damage on anythingthat comes in.
  • Poison Jab is a good STAB to get out of Taunt situations.
  • Knock Off is a good move to have to cripple opposing walls.

[Additional Descriptions]
  • I use these Evs to maximize Skorupi's Defensive standpoint rather than the previous set, focusing on speed.
  • Chinchuo is a good partner if it can take a couple of Earthquakes.
  • Defencive meinfoo is a good posibility given that thier are not any phychic types on the opposing side but it having that Flying weakness, it's risky at best
  • An amazing partner is Hippopotas, who can take many hits skorupi simply cannot.
  • Flash Fire users also provide good protection from fire type attacks

[Other Options]
  • Taunt can be used if the team has problems with hazards but really, Natu or a spinner does this job way better
  • Poison jab is a beter STAB than Cross Poison due to higher base power
  • Careful can be used to make it more a balanced Wall
  • Acupressure plus 3 Attacla is vaible, but it's very unpredictable for both the user and

[Checks and Counter]
Offencive LO Mienfoo: It has Stone Edge, something that will 2HKO Skorupi. A good teamate to stop this threat is Misdreavous, as it takes almost nothing from Stone Edge,(Well, its a 3HKO) and can 2HKO it in return with shadow ball

All variations of Doduo: Doduo is a big threat underated yes, but dangerous nonetheless. Brave Bird is what Skorupi fears the most. Hippopotas is a good check to Doduo, walling its physical attacks.

All variations of Abra: Since im not carring X-Scissor (and Skorupi has shitty SpD) Abra becomes pretty scary. Thankfully for me, most abra's have psyshock and also are scared of me possibly having X-Scissor that is, if they don't feel gutsy. Houndor is a good check synergizing with the next threat.

LO Ponyta: Another big threat, OHKOing me with almost every fire move it carries. Like previously stated, Houndor is an amazing check with its ability:Flash Fire but it must be wary of getting hit with a LO Wild Charge and will be forced to use crunch since offensive Ponyta will more than likely will carry flash fire as well.

Offencive varients of Murkrow: Oh My God, How can i forget this giant-ass threat. Big thanks to Iss for reminding me. Brave Bird is an easy OHKO. NEVER, EVER, try to take this on with just Skorupi. Very much like Doduo, Hippopotas is a good check since it no longer needs to carry whirlwind and sets up sand, only adding to the typing combinations Skorupi can take full advantage of (You know, since the Sand abusers, for the most part, resist rock) and abuse it.

LO Houndour: Fire types in general are feared by Skorupi. LO Hounder is no exception. Fire Blast is an obvious OHKO so Hippopotas is our check yet again. He easily takes a Fire Blast, killing it off with a Earthquake in return.

• In general, Flying,Ground, and Rock types do the most to Skorupi
If something is wrong with this thread, please by all means tell me. This is my second C@C and the first was a horrible disaster

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Please follow the analysis formatting guide.

The set itself is alright but your descriptions are downright awful. You're missing Murkrow in your Checks and Counters, which is by far the most common Pokemon that threatens Skorupi. You also need to actually describe why those Pokemon counter Skorupi, not simply list sprites. In Additional Comments, please add an explanation of your EV spread and good teammates for Skorupi. Simply saying "a resist to Stone Edge" is nowhere close to enough.

From this skeleton I'm not entirely sure you are capable of completing a writeup. Please make the aforementioned changes and I will consider stamping this.

The reason no one is QC'ing this is because you need to write it in bullet form when it's still at the 2/2 QC stage. You need to delete the paragraphs and present your hidden skeleton form instead.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, let's take this step by step.

Your analysis is really lacking quality, so I suggest you read through my suggestions FOR YOUR SKELETON and then rewrite your analysis accordingly AFTER it gets QC approved twice. There are so many things wrong with your current written-up analysis that it would just be way easier to start over instead of trying to edit it. Situations like these are why it's not suggested that you write your analysis before it gets approved. If it gets rejected, all of your work will count for nothing. Just a heads up for the future.

Anyway, onto the analysis.

OVERVIEW

In the overview, I suggest you be a lot more general. The point of the overview is to that readers can get a grasp of Skorupi's place in the whole entire metagame in general. You have its pros down right, including its high base 90 Defense, x4 resistance to Fighting, and access to some useful support moves. However, you must realize and mention that Skorupi's typing is a double edged sword, making it weak to Flying-type attacks and Stealth Rock, limiting the amount of instances where it can switch in and set up freely. Mention how it receives competition in the forms of Pineco, who can do all of the above and spin, as well as Shelmet, who can lay down Spikes and has better bulk. Give readers a clear view on what Skorupi does, why they should / shouldn't use it, and its pros / cons.

SET COMMENTS

This too needs work. The point of the set comments is to explain exactly what the set does and how it uses the moves to accomplish that goal. Explanations about counters belong in Checks & Counters. For your set comments, focus on explaining Skorupi's resistance to Fighting, as well as its access to support moves such as Toxic Spikes, Whirlwind, and Knock Off, making it a useful wall that can support its team. Don't list specific Pokemon; instead, generalize things, such as saying that "it walls ghost types and fighting types" or "it can take the burden of entry hazards and phazing off of its teammates", or something like that. Try avoid being specific in set comments as well.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

This part is ok format / tone wise. However, your information needs work. Many of your listed teammates aren't really good partners for Skorupi at all; Mienfoo adds another Psychic and Flying weakness. Bronzor is an ok partner, but as you said yourself, it requires the presence of a fire resist or immunity, which makes it a not ok partner. Instead, look upon Skorupi's main weaknesses (Taunt, Rock / Flying / Psychic / Fire-type attacks, Spinners, etc) and then find Pokemon that can beat those things. THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE SPECIFIC. Write EXACTLY what each teammate can do for Skorupi and EXACTLY why they would be good partners. List SPECIFICALLY the problems Skorupi commonly has and SPECIFIC Pokemon that can handle those problems.

Other Options

Add RestTalk + Accupressure set. Add bulky attacker set. Everything else is good.

Checks and Counters

Alright, this part really needs work. In here, you want to be general, but also specific. Group checks and counters by characteristics based on how they counter Skorupi. For instance, Skorupi is weak to Rock-type attacks, so adding in Pokemon that can hit it with Stone Edge or Rock Slide is a good idea. Skorupi also hates spinners, so mentioning spinners such as Drilbur (who can hit it with Rock Slide too) or Staryu (who dgaf about TSpikes poison) should be done. Sort them by type or characteristic, and then give special mentions to POkemon that can do more than one thing to stop Skorupi. Also, no more mentions of teammates. That goes in additional comments and additional comments ONLY.

COMMENTS IN GENERAL

Remember, this is formal writing. No mentions of "me, myself, or I". DON'T USE FORMATTING other than italicizing, which should still be used very rarely. This is informational, formal writing, so remember to use your formal writing rules.

Fix all of that in your skeleton, and I will consider stamping this. Some other QC members might also have other comments.

Hey, I noticed a few things that might be worth putting in the skeleton.
  • Other non-flying, non-poison types common in the metagame, like Croagunk should be mentioned in C & C since they disrupt the entire premise this set is based off of by absorbing t-spikes
  • It might be a good idea to put protect in OO since Skorupi will generally get one hit KO'd by most of the metagame and it will give some time for the toxic effect to work. Just a thought.
  • I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but there are quite a few grammatical errors. This is especially true with the replacing s's with c's thing. It would be easier to fix this now before the GP team gets a chance to dissect this, if they get the chance.
I'm not ranked or anything on the site. Just trying to help out if I can.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Electrolyte already covered formatting issues and the stuff in his post, so I will comment on the set itself. Skorupi has more options than that. The best set imo is a quicker Toxic Spikes setter. The set is similar to the second one on site already, which emphasizes speed and can set hazards well thanks to its bulk as well. The difference is that I recommend running Aqua Tail over the Cross Poison on site, because it hits Rock/Fire types that resist Bug and also 2HKO's Hippopotas, which is nice. That should be the first set.

[SET]
Set Name: Toxic Spiker
Move 2: X-Scissor
Move 3: Knock off
Move 4: Aqua Tail
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

I don't find the set you posted originally being that great because there are better phazers, with better typing, and also Poison being used as main STAB is not good at all, terrible coverage.

I myself would not have it there, but I'd like to see what QC members have to say about it.

Electrolyte already covered formatting issues and the stuff in his post, so I will comment on the set itself. Skorupi has more options than that. The best set imo is a quicker Toxic Spikes setter. The set is similar to the second one on site already, which emphasizes speed and can set hazards well thanks to its bulk as well. The difference is that I recommend running Aqua Tail over the Cross Poison on site, because it hits Rock/Fire types that resist Bug and also 2HKO's Hippopotas, which is nice. That should be the first set.

[SET]
Set Name: Toxic Spiker
Move 2: X-Scissor
Move 3: Knock off
Move 4: Aqua Tail
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

I don't find the set you posted originally being that great because there are better phazers, with better typing, and also Poison being used as main STAB is not good at all, terrible coverage.

I myself would not have it there, but I'd like to see what QC members have to say about it.
I actually like the set in the OP because it takes advantage of phazing, which is basically the #1 thing Skorupi has over Tentacool to fill the role of fast Toxic Spiker (they both hit 17 Speed). Tentacool can TSpike, Knock Off, and Rapid Spin so I find the set you posted a bit outclassed, and I'm fine with the current set on the analysis. I do, however, agree with you that even the most unique niche Skorupi can carry out is still kind of weak in today's meta.

Regarding the analysis itself, I think it lacks a lot of content right now. I know you mention this lightly in a few places, but you really need to emphasize how Skorupi completely walls Mienfoo without Stone Edge, e.g. most of them. Other than that, follow Electrolyte's advice on how to improve the quality of your analysis and it will be up to quality standards. Once you have done this, contact me and I'll stamp this for you.

can someone give me OP for this, original person hasn't been online since jul 14, wanna help out clear this thread for more potential stuff

Not one of the official QC/contributors/w/e the fk I'd love for
Code:
| 37  | Larvesta  |  4.80971% | 2697  |  4.431% | 2146  |  4.283% |
Code:
| 68  | Taillow  |  2.36347% | 1651  |  2.713% | 1311  |  2.617% |
Code:
| 1  | MISDREAVUS  | 30.06142% | 14287  | 23.475% | 11777  | 23.506% |
to be mentioned as checks. You can also add stuff like pawniard and drilbur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)