Other Sky Battles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In fact; all three of the origional birds could be major factors; or even broken in this type of play. Moltres removes the steels that Articuno is beaten by; while Articuno beats the Grounds that Zapdos cannot.
Whatever it is that you're smoking, give me some.

The Ground types in Sky Battles:

-Flygon: Loses to Zapdos
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 468-551 (155.48 - 183.05%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-Claydol: Loses to Zapdos
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Claydol: 125-148 (38.58 - 45.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Claydol Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 112-134 (34.78 - 41.61%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(Add in smart Roosts by Zapdos and it's clear to see who comes out on top here-- Claydol also loses outright to Sub/Roost/Toxic)
-Gliscor: Loses to Zapdos
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 494-582 (140.34 - 165.34%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So yeah, there are no ground types in Sky Battles that can beat Zapdos.

Last edited:
Whatever it is that you're smoking, give me some.

The Ground types in Sky Battles:

-Flygon: Loses to Zapdos
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flygon: 468-551 (155.48 - 183.05%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-Claydol: Loses to Zapdos
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Claydol: 125-148 (38.58 - 45.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Claydol Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 112-134 (34.78 - 41.61%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(Add in smart Roosts by Zapdos and it's clear to see who comes out on top here-- Claydol also loses outright to Sub/Roost/Toxic)
-Gliscor: Loses to Zapdos
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 494-582 (140.34 - 165.34%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So yeah, there are no ground types in Sky Battles that can beat Zapdos.
Also; Dragons. HP Ice isn't going to beat Hydregion; Ice Beam and Articuno's Sp.Def does.

Also; as added to the OP; Specs Ice Beam wrecks pretty much everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For those you would need to get a Zapdos with HP Ice; which is a lot harder than just sticking Ice Beam on an Articuno.
This is an inappropriate comment here in UT, so I will be deleting that segment of your post. In discussion here in UT we always assume the best possible pokemon, which are the only pokes you would ever bring if you are truly a competitive Pokemon player. Most of us play on simulator, but even in-game, don't underestimate the abilities of our breeders and players (who also share Pokemon quite willingly in our wifi forum). Even I, who didn't trade Pokemon after the RNG was cracked, have a few almost flawless IV HP Ice Zapdos I could transfer over after Pokebank opens if I want to.

In any case, posting concerns such as "it's hard to get HP Ice" is entirely inappropriate; consider this a warning and I will delete/discipline your post in the future.

Bottom line: You're wrong. Zapdos beats all Ground types in Sky battles.

For simulators it's possible; but then you take a sizable IV hit; which would hurt you against other pokemon.
^don't post stuff like this.

Also; Dragons. HP Ice isn't going to beat Hydregion; Ice Beam and Articuno's Sp.Def does.
I didn't say post saying Articuno had no uses, nor that Zapdos is unbeatable-- that would be a ridiculous assumption for a competitive Pokemon discussion. This also is a poor post, so please improve on buffing the content, and thinking the post through.

BTW-- if you're going to make a claim, do your homework:
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Articuno: 299-354 (93.14 - 110.28%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
^Hydreigon outspeeds offensive Articuno and OHKO's it half the time-- if Articuno has ANY prior damage, it will always die. Hydreigon has the major advantage against offensive Articuno.

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 176+ SpD Articuno: 237-281 (61.87 - 73.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Articuno Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 216-254 (66.25 - 77.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
^Defensive Articuno will NEVER OHKO Hydreigon with Ice beam. In fact, Offensive Articuno struggles to do so without LO or Specs. In any case, Hydreigon will always survive an Ice beam and 2HKO Articuno with Fire Blast.

No Articuno can switch in and beat a Hydreigon. Both offensive and defensive Articuno also lose to Hydreigon 1 on 1 the majority of the time. Scarf Articuno (assuming it's fighting a non-scarfed Hydreigon) will come close to OHKO'ing its foe, but this will probably result in both mons dead if Hydreigon uses LO.

Conclusion: Articuno is not a good check or answer to Hydreigon in any way. Do your homework before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)