Other Sky Battles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure we'll be having a tier for Sky Battles, so I'm making a blueprint now. While I was at it, I decided to make a thread of all the Pokes to expect in Sky Battles and how they will function.

Skarmory: Probably the best Defensive Wall in this tier. He'll be able to get off those Stealth Rocks, which are going to be doing 12-25% on any Pokemon except a very few.

Cresselia: While she doesn't pack much offense, she will be a monster of a Defense or Special Defense Wall. Skarmory paired with her will be a nightmare. Also she can benefit from V.

Mega-Charizard-Y: The only only to have Permanent weather in this tier. He'll be able to get at Least 5 Turns up on entry. Fire Blasts will hurt a huge amount of the Pokemon in this tier. He'll also make Cresselia abuse Moonlight :D

Dragonite: Multiscale makes him a must to use. With only a handful of Steel types in this tier, he'll dominate the sky's.

Salamence: Once the Steels are gone he'll have fun sweeping the opponent with the common Scarf Outrage. He can also be an amazing wall breaker(Not many Walls in this tier)

Bronzong: While my favorite Trick Roomer got nerfed, he'll find his home in this tier. Being able to take the Dragon Spammers will be his priority. He'll also be able to set up Stealth Rocks. Like I said, he can even set up Trick Room.

Xatu: With only three(Correct me, if I am wrong) Rapid Spinners in this tier, we'll need to prevent Stealth Rocks with magic Bounce. Edit: Defog can be learned by most of these Pokemon.

Claydol/Cryagonal/Delibird: These are the only three Pokemon to have Rapin Spin in this Tier. Claydol being the most bulky of the three to take a hit and Spin those rocks away and also to absorb the Thunderbolt and Stone Edge spam.

Latios/Latias: Draco Meteor for days. Noivern Outspeeds both of them, but they have more Special Attack Base

Zapdos/Thundurus-T: Thunderbolt with their amazing Special Attack Stat will be deadly. Give them a Scarf and they'll out speed 90% of the meta game in this tier.

Swellow: She'll have a blast spamming Facades with her 383 Speed.

Aerodaytl/Archeops: Their Rock Stab will be hitting almost every Pokemon in this tier for neutral damage.

Rotom-Wash/Heat: Both will enjoy Volt Switching in this tier. Wash can take care of Gliscors/Lando's quite easily. Heat can 2hko, if not OHKO Zong with Overheat.

Jumpluff: With Sun up from Zard-Y she'll outspeed everything with Chlorophyll. Too bad it'll only be for Five Turns. Sub/Seed set can be very annoying since there's only a handful of Pokemon that are immune to Leech Seed.

Togekiss: Like I said above, Dragons will be deadly once the Steel types are taken care of, so why not have a Fairy type :). Paraflinch set everything.

Talonflame: He's not that strong, but with +1 Roost/Brave Bird/Acrobatics, he'll be annoying if it gets a Bulk Up or 2.

Gliscor: I can only imagine how annoying Sub/Toxic will be here. Also he can clear those Stealth Rocks with Defog and be a defensive wall. He can even baton pass +2 Speed/Attack.

Edit:

Articuno: Besides Rotom-Wash/Heat/Cryogonol/Bronzong, I can't think of anyone who resists Ice. Articuno will be doing Massive damage with a Specs Ice beam.

Sigilyph: Is immune to the Stealth Rock damage and can be support set or the common Cosmic Power set.

Hydreigon: Resists Electric type attacks which will be used a lot in this tier making him have easy switch-ins. He can then Use a Draco Meteor on any Electric type. If they have a Steel Fire Blast on the predicted switch. His Dark Pulse will be hitting almost everything for Neutral damage.

Staraptor: Choice Band Brave Birds and Double Edges with Reckless will be hitting like a truck.

Haunter/DriftBlim: Stabbed Shadow Balls will be hitting almost everyone for neutral damage while Thunderbolt will be hitting anyone who Resists or are Immune to Shadow ball.

Gyarados: The only Water Absorb in this Tier is Mantine who can't do much to Bulky Sub. When Skarmory or any threat is obsolete, Gyarados can come in and set up a Sub and start Dragon Dancing away. He even gets a bulky Mega Form which can take at least one Thunderbolt from Thundurs/Zapdos and OHKO back at 252+ Stone Edge.

Did I forgot any obvious threats?

Last edited:
Gengar seems like a threat with Thunderbolt to hit most things super effectively, its also got Icy Wind + Shadow Ball for those that don't get hit super effectively by Thunderbolt , Mega Genger has shadow tag to trap and kill so that's something.

Sigilyph can be immune to Stealth Rocks and is rather decent with a few different options.

Crobat , Honchcrow and Straptor could all be potential threats as well.

Gengar seems like a threat with Thunderbolt to hit most things super effectively, its also got Icy Wind + Shadow Ball for those that don't get hit super effectively by Thunderbolt , Mega Genger has shadow tag to trap and kill so that's something.

Sigilyph can be immune to Stealth Rocks and is rather decent with a few different options.

Crobat , Honchcrow and Straptor could all be potential threats as well.
You mean Haunter. Gengar doesn't have an airborne model, so it sits it out with Hawlucha.

What are the Pokemon that participate in these Sky battles ?
Are they just Pokemon that can fly or have levitate ?

I'd sense that Honchkrow would be good in sky battles, or any Pokemon that can learn thunderbolt.

Haunter is eligible but Gengar is not due to its model standing on the ground.

As for other threats... Gyarados seems like a great contender.

And... Pidgeot? >_>

Only Pokemon with floating models can participate. Serebii has a list here, though I'm sure Pokebank-locked mons that could participate are left off the list for obvious reasons.

Can anyone confirm that stealth rock is actually usable in sky battles?

Weird, you'd think they could just shift the model upward or something. Haunters not quite as a good but its still a potential contender with good coverage.

A flying resist is going to be very important as will an electric resist or immunity.

Things not weak to Electric
Gliscor
Claydol
Flygon
Hydreigon
Rotom
Duskull
Gligar
Baltoy
Chimeco
Bronzong
Bronzor
Emogla (With Motor Drive)
Lunatone
Solrock
Carnivine
Cryogonal
Vibrava

Things that resist Flying
Bronzong
Emogla
Aerodactyl
Archen
Lunetone
Solrock
Zapdos

I'd think a team of Flygon / Zapdos / Bronzong / Talonflame / Hydreigon / Aerodactly would do quite well. Gives you a solid mix of decent defensive core and powerful offensives (Aerodactly is only rivalled by Ninjask which won't see any play except as Protect + BatonPss and Crobat and has strong Stone Edge + a mega evo)

Cryognal is notable for STAB Ice Beam which hits most of the eligible mons neutrally at least with only steels and the celestial resisting and great speed.

May I suggest a list of pokemon in Sky Battles that do not resist Ice? I know there's Zard/Talonflame/Skarmory/Zong/Moltres; out of usable; viable pokemon [Solrock and Lunatone are hardly viable].

Because I'm thinking Scarf or even Specs Articuno could be very deadly here. Especially with HP Electric.

In fact; all three of the origional birds could be major factors; or even broken in this type of play. Moltres removes the steels that Articuno is beaten by; while Articuno beats the Grounds that Zapdos cannot.

But yeah, Articuno probobly needs to be mentioned in the OP.

The list of things not weak to ice
Moltres
Articuno
Cryogonal
Duskull
Rotom
Chimeco
Solrock
Lunatone
Bronzor
Bronzong
Skarmory
Gyrados
Mantine
Mantyke
Haunter
Skarmory
Swanna
Pelliper

I think that everthing, the only things that resist though are Cryogonal , Bronzong/Bronzor Solrock and Lunatone. Of these only Solrock and Lunatone aren't completely dismantled by Moltres, it might have some coverage option for them though.

(All lists subject to human error)

^ Rock doesn't resist ice, so Cryogonal and Bronzong are the only resists. Bronzong is certainly seeming more and more useful...

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
well then since most pokemon allowed in sky battles are weak to rocks, maybe stealth rocks should be banned.

If sky-battles don't get subtiers (at least two, SB UU, SB OU, and SB Ubers maybe?) then there will only be room for a select few flying pokemon.

Weak Alex not remembering rock doesn't resist ice. Bronzong is seeming more and more needed.

Edit : Hit me up if anyone wants to have a test game.

Last edited:
May I point out that while we have quite a decent amount of defoggers, (especially when bank comes out,) the only spinners we get are Claydol and Cryogonal? So... omnipresent SR seems it will be the name of the game, if we ever get a PS Ladder for it.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
rotom is going to have so much fun in this tier. Its ice form might actually be viable in this if you can keep the rocks away.

It's really weird that some Flying types are ineligible presumably because of lore like 'baby' birds that can't fly properly, yet Pokemon that can evidently fly like Butterfree and Beedrill aren't.

It's really weird that some Flying types are ineligible presumably because of lore like 'baby' birds that can't fly properly, yet Pokemon that can evidently fly like Butterfree and Beedrill aren't.
I can almost guarantee you it was due to GF being too lazy to give flying Pokemon a flying and standing animation. Why else would Xatu look like a native American missile?

If an eligible pokemon isnt running levitate, can it still participate? Heatproof bronzong could be interesting.
Nope you cant. Levitate and Flying only, text clearly stated it.

I can almost guarantee you it was due to GF being too lazy to give flying Pokemon a flying and standing animation. Why else would Xatu look like a native American missile?
Humping the air too. No gengar though.... YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)