VGC Sky High and Continent

Sky High and Continent

Summary
With this team i wanted to create something different in terms of speed controlling and cores. I tried different versions of this team and i peaked something like 1700 in ladder. I really like the combo's but i want to improve the team in view of many tournaments that i have in September. Sorry for my bad english, but i'm italian and i don't speak english very well. I hope you'll understand all.

In Depth

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 8 Spe
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap
- Helping Hand
- Magic Coat​

Overview
His role is TR setter and primal support with skill swap. Mental Herb is the best immunity to Taunt, encore and disable. The EVs are pretty standard:​
  • +1 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Cresselia: 191-226 (84.1 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Overheat vs. 252 HP / 100+ SpD Cresselia in Harsh Sun: 136-162 (59.9 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 100+ SpD Cresselia: 160-190 (70.4 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 156 Def Cresselia: 126-150 (55.5 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The IV's are for outspeeding Primal Groudon under Trick Room by one point and skill swap successfully. Magic Coat over Gravity and Damaging moves because it helps me with dark void smeargle and with taunt user after mental herb using. I don't need a damaging move here. Helping Hand for helping my Groudon.

Groudon (Groudon-Primal)
@ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 140 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Precipice Blades
- Protect​

Overview
His role is TR sweeper and weather support. Thanks to Draconid997 for the EVs. The SpA EVs will guarantee that earth power OHKOs 0 HP / 4 SpD primal groudon, in defensive terms:​
  • +1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 140 HP / 4 Def Primal Groudon: 164-192 (84.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​
  • 4 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 140 HP / 4 Def Primal Groudon: 81-96 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO​
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 140 HP / 4 Def Primal Groudon: 82-97 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO​
  • 252 SpA Primal Groudon Earth Power vs. 140 HP / 132 SpD Primal Groudon: 162-192 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​
  • 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 140 HP / 4 Def Primal Groudon: 85-101 (44 - 52.3%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO​

Rayquaza @ Assault Vest
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 164 HP / 152 Atk / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall

Overview
The star of the team. It's a Spanish version of Mega Rayquaza and i really like it, because in TR it works very well. Waterfall better than Overheat for other Primal Groudon (in fact for kyogres i have ferrothorn), draco meteor for mega salamence and other rayquazas that don't work very well in TR. The EVs spread allows him to outspeed Smeargle in mega form, and to resist to a lot of damaging moves.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Overview
Fake out support, offensive-mon and secondary mega. Inner focus better than Scrappy to fake out other users like liepard or fast scrappy kanga. It's very good in TR and in defensive way:​
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Harsh Sun: 177-208 (83.4 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 184-218 (86.7 - 102.8%) -- 7.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 172-203 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 151-178 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Overview
Checks Kyogre and Xerneas very well, also some Rayquazas. Iron Barbs helps also with fake out kangas, switching to him. EVs are standard, it works very well under trickroom and kills the counters of my team.​

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 44 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- After You
- Icy Wind
- Protect
- Follow Me

Overview
Rayquaza support and secondary form of speed control with Icy Wind. Also here we have pretty standard EVs. Follow me to avoid other dragons and fairies for Ray, after you to win the groudon matchup.

Thanks for reading! I hope you have understand all (i'm not a star in english) and can suggest me something better.​

this is a very solid team, in fact the 1 thing i would change is the spread on kang. 4 hp / 188 atk / 76 def / 4 spdef / 236 spe is a bulkier spread that is "better" suited for tr as it doesn't have max speed. the evs outspeed smeargle pre-mega and let kang live one low kick from opposing kang. while you could probably get away with no speed kang, it sucks to have smeargle outspeed you :[. again, fantastic team hopefully this one change helps.

This team already looks pretty strong so I don't think it needs tons of help, though I guess I'll suggest some things.

Cresselia @ Lum Berry
Sassy Nature
IVs: 8 Spe
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap
- Helping Hand/Icy Wind
- Ice Beam/Icy Wind/Magic Coat

I decided to make this change in order to help with your Mega Salamence match up. The two things you have to hit it with super effective damage are Clefairy in its Icy Wind (which isn't going to knock it out) and Mega Rayquaza in its Draco Meteor, though Rayquaza's slower than Mega Salamence. My concern here is that you'll feel forced into bringing both Cresselia and Mega Rayquaza or Clefairy into matches that have a Mega Salamence in order to get rid of it regardless of what the rest of the team is. I dropped Magic Coat because it can be fairly unreliable. If you don't choose to make the change to Ice Beam/Icy Wind Cresselia, I would recommend Safeguard over Magic Coat at least. Lum Berry was added to help fight status since I dropped Magic Coat.

One option you may want to consider is taking Icy Wind over the Helping Hand slot and keeping Magic Coat. Doing this allows you to move Helping Hand to Clefairy over Icy Wind or After You.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch/Safeguard
- Low Kick​

Without max speed on Kangaskhan, you're going to lose some turn 1 Kangaskhan mirrors all the time because you definitely won't be going first. 50/50 is better than a 0% chance. I understand that the Adamant nature was likely chosen to function under Trick Room, but you already have enough Pokemon that function under TR well to where Mega Kangaskhan can go max speed. Remember, no matter how hard you try to get Trick Room up, it isn't going to go up in every single game you play. Safegaurd was tabbed as a unique way to help deal with Smeargle some more. Leonard Craft III used it on his Mega Kangaskhan at US Nationals, where he got Top 8. I decided to tab it since I took off Magic Coat on Cresselia.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed/Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Protect​

Life Orb and Expert Belt do a lot of damage.

204+ Atk Life Orb Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Primal Kyogre: 195-229 (94.2 - 110.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
204+ Atk Life Orb Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (115 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 226-268 (96.9 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
204+ Atk Life Orb Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 296-351 (127 - 150.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's just random bulk I plugged into the damage calculator. Xerneas are sometimes bulkier than what I put in; Kyogre aren't always as bulky as what I used for the calcs either. You may want to mess with the EVs if you take my suggestion; I'd take EVs out of Attack and invest it into bulk. I tabbed Curse next to Leech Seed because damage is fun and it's unexpected. I wouldn't really use it over Leech Seed but I thought it was an interesting option to note.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- After You/Moonblast/Helping Hand
- Icy Wind/Helping Hand
- Protect
- Follow Me​

I decided to tab Moonblast onto Clefairy in case you're having issues dealing with Yveltal. It looks like it can be an issue for this team, though I think you may be able to brute force your way through it. Consider Helping Hand on Clefairy if you put Icy Wind/Ice Beam on Cresselia over After You or Icy Wind.

Primal Groudon and Rayquaza seem fine. I don't really have huge complaints with the EV spreads. I'm unsure about the Mega Rayquaza spread just due to how slow it is, though this team has a fair amount of speed control and support to where I think it can work.

Edit: I accidentally posted multiple Ferrothorn sets...

Last edited:
Hey, i made some changes on my team but i'm not sure that this can be the best version:

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Helping Hand
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Follow Me

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Groudon (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 140 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Precipice Blades
- Protect

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 8 Spe
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap
- Icy Wind
- Magic Coat

EVs: 4 HP / 188 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Rayquaza @ Assault Vest
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 164 HP / 152 Atk / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall

I was thinking to replace Clefairy with Sylveon to avoid Yveltal, Ice Beam over Icy Wind on Cress and Safeguard over Suckerpunch on Kanga. Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)