Slightly-Less-Than-Orthodox Jukebox - MajorBowman's SPL 9 Team Dump

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
approved by me bitch
Intro

Hey there, and welcome to my SPL 9 team dump. This year I had the great fortune of being on the Circus Maximus Tigers for the 3rd year in a row, and once again I had a wonderful time. Unfortunately we fell just short of a shot at reclaiming our stolen trophies, but it was a great experience nonetheless. I got to hang out with some old friends and meet some new ones, plus I got to harass tennisace whenever I wanted. What more could I ever need?

This year for SPL I decided to pick an album I had been listening to recently and use songs from that album as nicknames for my Pokemon each week. Music means a lot to me and has gotten me through some tough times, so this was a fun chance to share my favorite music with everyone in the hopes that maybe someone else will enjoy it too. While not at the top of my list, the title of this team dump is a play on Bruno Mars' Unorthodox Jukebox album, which also hints at my tendency to use somewhat standard teams with some weird elements.

Before we get started, I just want to say that I'm pretty proud of my personal performance this SPL. I managed to secure the best record of all the DOU players and (from what I can tell) tie for the 6th best record of all players. As someone that probably places a bit too much value on performance and numbers, that means a lot to me and I'm really happy I was able to do so well. Would have preferred a better result for my team of course, but I'll take the victories where I can get them.

Alright I'm done pontificating. Each team will have the album and artist in the title, and the nicknames of each Pokemon will link to the respective song (music video when applicable because who doesn't love a good music video). Enjoy!

Teams

Week 1 vs Demantoid (W)

Love Me Anyway (Tapu Koko) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 124 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Electroweb
- Sky Drop
- Nature's Madness

Kids in Love (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

I'm Good (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 68 Atk / 136 SpA / 40 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Whatever Forever (Snorlax) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 132 HP / 216 Atk / 88 Def / 72 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Double-Edge
- High Horsepower
- Curse
- Recycle

Shake Me Up (Volcanion) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 4 Def / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Bad Dream (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 84 HP / 92 Atk / 172 Def / 160 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect
This was definitely my favorite team from this SPL. Unfortunately, it's also my only team that is now illegal. My first and only usage of the now-banned Snorlax was week 1, when I used the Curse variant on a semiroom team with Mega Metagross and friends. Tapu Koko + Mega Metagross was the starting point here, since I knew that Assault Vest Koko with Electroweb + Nature's Madness + Sky Drop would be fantastic at supporting Metagross. Landorus is just Landorus, we all know what it does by now. I went with a special variant since I didn't have any other Pokemon immune to Ground and HP Ice make Landorus a more effective check to other Landorus. Volcanion served as a bit of a midway point between the fast and slow modes, as it can function pretty well both in and out of Trick Room. Waterium Z is a really neat option on Volcanion, since it can either nuke something at will or get off a huge chunk on bulkier Pokemon like Snorlax or bulky Psychics. Hoopa and Snorlax round out the Trick Room portion of the team. Double-Edge gave Snorlax a bit more damage output and compliments Curse well because it allows Snorlax to pop its own berry in a way similar to Belly Drum without sacrificing 50% of its health.

Week 2 vs Biosci (W)

BITE (Camerupt-Mega) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Protect

YOUTH (Stakataka) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Protect

TALK ME DOWN (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 84 HP / 92 Atk / 172 Def / 160 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

FOOLS (Scrafty) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Taunt

WILD (Tapu Bulu) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

HEAVEN (Bronzong) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hypnosis
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
Not really much to say about this team tbh, it's a pretty standard fullroom team. I'm pretty sure I originally got it from miltankmilk to use on the Marshadow suspect test ladder. I liked the team a lot and made a couple little changes here and there, then decided it was SPL worthy. One of the reasons I decided to bring it against Biosci was that his building/testing partner Tman is one of my best friends and would have a pretty good read on what I like to use. I was pretty sure I had never talked to Tommy about fullroom stuff in DOU, so I thought it was a safer pick. I think the only weird tech on the team is Nature Power Camerupt. Fire + Ground is good enough coverage that the 3rd slot is mainly inconsequential, but Nature Power gives Camerupt a way to snipe Tapu Fini if either Grassy or Electric Terrain is up, which is pretty useful. side note: screw u Frania troye sivan is great >:(

Week 3 vs marilli (W)

Easy Tiger (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 64 HP / 240 Atk / 28 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Waves
- Superpower

Mr Lonely (Aegislash) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Tidal Wave (Tapu Fini) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 148 SpA / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Heal Pulse

Feel It Still (Zapdos) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 16 SpA / 56 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Tailwind

Keep On (Kyurem-Black) @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Protect

Rich Friends (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 40 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect
This is pretty much just a standard Mega Scizor team with a few twists. We all know that Fini / Zapdos / Kyurem is a great core, but instead of the more popular AV Kyurem I went with a super offensive Icium Z variant with Freeze Shock. Subzero Slammer is great for picking off pretty much anything that doesn't resist and doing a huge chunk of damage through Protects (see: 60% to Kommo-o against marilli in SPL). We decided on Spooky Plate Aegislash and Choice Band Zygarde in keeping with the more offensive theme, since I think one of the downfalls of Fini Zapdos teams is overall passivity. Scizor is the standard SD set, while we gave Fini Knock Off to give it a bit more utility against Snorlax teams.

Week 4 vs Kaori (W)

Silvertongue (Volcanion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 248 SpA / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Jungle Youth (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 4 Def / 60 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Art Exhibit (Aegislash) @ Life Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Nothing's Over (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch

Titus Was Born (Zapdos) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 16 SpA / 80 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Tailwind

Mr. Know-It-All (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Tailwind
- Protect
This team was originally built by the illustrious tennisace, who threw something together when I was having a rough week. The general concept was set tailwind for hard hitters and go from there, so Zapdos and Salamence both carry Tailwind. Three of the other four Pokemon are holding boosting items of some sort, and the other is Volcanion which already hits pretty hard. This is the week that Swords Dance Grassium Bulu first debuted, even though I didn't get to show off SD until week 9. talkingtree suggesting Tyranitar meant that I walked into a pretty strong matchup against Sam's Bruxish shenanigans so I didn't really get to show off the team, but I'm still a big fan. Pretty simple concept and easy to execute gameplan.

Week 5 vs stax (L)

Stop That Train (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Protect

Handyman (Kyurem-Black) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpA / 80 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind
- Dragon Tail

My Molasses (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Tailwind
- Protect

Sound Witness System (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 60 Def / 148 SpA / 44 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Jealous Buffoon (Landorus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 68 Atk / 136 SpA / 40 SpD / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Table for One (Tapu Bulu) @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 72 Def / 72 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Protect
Quite honestly this team was probably one of my weaker teams from this tournament. We knew that stax had a fetish for bulky Psychic types and Snorlax, so we wanted to be prepared for that kind of team. Stuff like Taunt Tapu Bulu, Sub Toxic Aegislash, and Darkinium Z Hoopa were meant to punish the slower types of teams he liked to bring. While I do think these ideas were good, the team felt more like a combination of Pokemon that could be good individually as opposed to a cohesive unit. Dark Z Hoopa is ridiculous though, it had a chance to OHKO Snorlax and mutilates any Psychic type even at -1. I got into a habit of dropping "eclipsed." in the chat anytime it took a KO in testing because there truly isn't a more appropriate reaction.

Week 6 vs Jhon (W)

Told You So (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Idle Worship (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Rose-Colored Boy (Volcarona) (M) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 168 Def / 12 SpA / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Rage Powder
- Tailwind
- Protect

Hard Times (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 48 Def / 144 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Protect

Fake Happy (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Grudges (Scrafty) @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 76 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Taunt
Ok I'm just gonna be real here, this team is so weird lol. talkingtree and I built this team around Electrium Z Tapu Koko + Life Orb Kyurem since we noticed that Jhon usually didn't pack electric resists that could also take hits from Kyurem. Volcarona was meant to provide a form of speed control and overall support while also blowing away steel and grass types. Toxic Celesteela is legit and put in a ton of work in this game. If you don't need the coverage of Flamethrower or support of Wide Guard, I definitely recommend trying it out. Since we already had pretty sufficient checks to waters (Koko and Kyurem) and grasses (Kyurem and Volcarona) and a redirector, Azumarill seemed like a neat pick. Azu gave us a way to capitalize on free turns between Rage Powder and strong offense, as well as giving us a general check to fires. Unfortunately, Azumarill just kinda sucks. I think there are way too many things in the meta that can take boosted Aqua Jets that Azu is just really hard to use effectively. Scrafty was tacked on at the end for Intimidate + Fake Out support, which the team just generally appreciates. You may have noticed at first glance that this team does not have a mega evolution. I, on the other hand, absolutely did not. It wasn't until I was updating the teams and replays thread that week that I noticed we just happened to forget about a mega lol.

Week 7 vs Croven (L)

Black Heart (Necrozma) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 80 SpA / 52 SpD / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Boy Problems (Scrafty) @ Figy Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 48 Def / 176 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Gimme Love (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 4 Def / 60 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Warm Blood (Rotom-Heat) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 120 SpA / 76 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Electroweb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ally Switch

Run Away With Me (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

When I Needed You (Kyurem-Black) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 56 Def / 68 SpA / 80 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Icy Wind
- Dragon Tail
This team was pretty wholly built around Necrozma. Necrozma had always been in the back of my mind as something that could be pretty solid but I really hadn't touched it at all. I decided I want to build around Grassy Seed CM Moonlight Necrozma, which paired pretty well with Scrafty thanks to the handy dandy Ghost and Dark resists it provided. Rotom was pretty great as an option against steel types that Necrozma had an otherwise hard time breaking through and as an overall support Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp, Electroweb, and Ally Switch. Metagross, Bulu, and Kyurem are all sets I've used before so not a whole lot to say about them. I really liked how Necrozma played and how this team worked, but I knew it had an iffy Tyranitar matchup and that's unfortunately what I ran into. Probably gonna look into improving the Tyranitar matchup in the future, but I do still love this team despite its somewhat weird appearance.

Week 8 vs EmbCPT (W)

Hate That You Know Me (Kyurem-Black) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 204 Atk / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Protect

Let's Get Married (Tapu Koko) @ Magnet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Foreign Girls (Gothitelle) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 216 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Goodbye (Landorus-Therian) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

I Miss Those Days (Volcanion) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

All My Heroes (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 40 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect
In keeping with the Electric Spam theme from week 6 against Jhon, talkingtree and I once again decided that Koko + Kyurem was a good call. We switched it up this time however, and went with Electrium Z Kyurem and Magnet Koko to make Kyurem more of a nuke option. We knew that Edu liked using Tapu Fini, so we wanted to be able to lure it in against Kyurem and snipe it. While Edu didn't bring Fini, he did bring another Water/Fairy type that suffered an unfortunate fate at the hands of Gigavolt Havoc. Scizor is still a pretty cool Pokemon that I think has a pretty great niche in setup attacker with strong priority, and we already had some solid answers to fire types so it felt like a good fit. My Belgian hero McMeghan had been suggesting that Shadow Tag was a stupid good ability that I hadn't taken advantage of yet, so I decided to give Gothitelle a shot and was absolutely not disappointed. I haven't really touched Goth that much in USUM DOU since I was never really a big fan of using GothLax. However, Gothitelle is super good as a standalone Pokemon with a ton of support options. I literally said in Tigers chat "I'm kind of a whore for Helping Hand" and that was probably pretty evident from this game against Edu.

Week 9 vs miltankmilk (W)

How You Feeling? (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 76 Def / 88 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Snarl
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Everything (Zygarde) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

GUY.exe (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 104 Atk / 180 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Imaginary Parties (Tapu Bulu) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 84 Def / 60 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Heartthrob(Gothitelle) (M) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 216 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heal Pulse
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room
- Protect

Keep Me Coming(Volcanion) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect
☆miltankmilk: damn
☆miltankmilk: we said no lax and u still loaded goth
☆MajorBowman: you say that like i didn't last week

This team was built with the intention of using Manectric to weaken opposing Pokemon with Intimidate and Snarl, then trap them with Gothitelle and allow something else to set up. Zygarde was the original idea, as its already great natural bulk is nicely complemented by both Snarl and Intimidate. This was my 3rd time using SD Grassium Bulu, but this was the first time I got to show off SD and it worked incredibly well. Volcanion was picked since it covers so many roles very well and also appreciates being given free substitutes against Pokemon that can't touch it. Scarf Genesect has great coverage and respectable damage output and gave the otherwise slower team some immediate speed. I really think this game was a perfect showcase of how I envisioned this team working, as Gothitelle was able to lock in favorable matchups for both Bulu and Zygarde, allowing for small early and late game sweeps.

Conclusion

That's it! As usual, I had a really great time playing in SPL. This tournament is always a huge highlight of my year when it comes to Pokemon, and it's an honor to be able to participate. I'll do some nice and sappy shoutouts in a sec, but I'd truly like to thank everyone that made this SPL another great experience. I'm already looking forward to next year, hopefully I'll be able to call myself a Tiger once again.
talkingtree I literally could not have survived this SPL without you. Thanks for being not only a great building partner and teammate, but a great friend as well. I'm super glad we were able to get closer over these past couple months, looking forward to many more :D
tennisace This might be dramatic but I really do owe most of my success on Smogon to you. Thanks for taking a chance on me two years ago and bringing me back for more ever since. I don't think I let on, but I was pretty sad that I wasn't retained this year since it meant there was a pretty good chance I wouldn't be a Tiger again. Luckily you broke your own budget to snag me and I'm so glad you did. Thanks for always being in my corner, next time I'm in New England we're getting a beer and there's nothing you can do about it.
miltankmilk My little secretary is all grown up :') I'm so happy you've made a name for yourself and had two successful team tours on your own in the past year. I've really enjoyed building and testing and just talking with you for the past year, here's to more team tours where you do well but still lose to me >:)
Kaori Level 51 Mizuhime and anyone else I tested or built with - thanks for the support and for always being willing to play a game and hash out a team. y'all rock
All the Tigers: Thank you guys for being such a great group of humans. I always had a great time talking with yall and just being idiots in chat on so many occasions. You guys feel like a family to me, and I really appreciate your openness and willingness to let me be my weird self. I truly hope we all stay in touch going forward, and I wish you all the best. Except Nintendi, please stop ruining my poor innocent eyes with your immoral images.
McMeghan you deserve a special shoutout. You are such an inspiration and a great leader and friend. It's been an honor teaming with you and working with you these past two years, and I was beyond happy that we got to meet up and eat waffles and chocolate together when I came to Belgium. Keep being awesome, hopefully we can make it 3 years in a row and break doubles once again next time SPL rolls around.

Thanks for reading!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)