Resource SM OU Sample Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacker

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Team: https://pastebin.com/LDynAWBz

First The Purpose Of This Team Is Too Weaken The Team With Mega Mawile And Cleen Up Wthere Toith Greninja Ash Greninja. The Purpose Of Mawile Is Too SD And Tear A Hole Through The Team. Tapu Koko Is There To Tear Upon The Common Defensive Core Landourous-T ,Toxapex, And Tangrowth It Breaks That Defensive Core Down Cause This Team Struggles With It It Cant Break Phys Def Toxapex Plus AV Tangwroth. Greninja Is There To Clean Up Late Game With Water Shuriken/Dark Pulse And To Get Momentum With U Turn. Lando T Is There For Bulk And To Wear Down Other Lando's Which We Are Slower Then So If It U Turns We Don't Take Rocky Helmet Damage. Tapu Fini Is Here For Hazard Removal/Bulky Water It Checks Non Giga Drain Volc Or Roost with natures madness plus moonblast to kill. Tangrowth is Here To Pivit Into Greninja For A Soft Check If Its Ash Gren If Protean Tapu Koko Counters It On a Double Thats the Team.Its already a sample but i made it my playstyle

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Alrighty, another update has been made to the sample teams.

Removed:
Mawile Hazard Stack HO

Added:
Baton Pass

Reasoning:

The usage of mawile has decreased as more people have been building teams better prepped for. Things like mew and sub heatran rising in usage is the cause of the viability of mawile slipping. This team is still good but the meta has shifted where it isn't as effective as it use to be being weak to things like fast zapdos+ scizor cores.

Baton pass is broken. That is all.

Have A Nice Day Everyone.

P.S. Check out my new archive G.O.O.D Saturdays discord server https://discord.gg/4JRThwk.

Just a nitpick, but for Ilikepinkmons' double defog stall, isn't a spread of 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef on Alomomola superior to the current set, since the 36 HP EV's are used to reach a leftovers number (which this Alomomola isn't holding)?

Also, is trick room viable enough to be added to the list?

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Also, is trick room viable enough to be added to the list?
Probably, yeah.

8-9 People got reqs with this trick room team during the last two suspects - perhaps it should be added?

Also CTs BP, Webs, and Stall while also being pretty brainless so probably a good add.

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Trick Room

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

njnp

Removing the current baton pass from here. Heracross will turn it inside out. I'm sure a new baton pass will be out soon adapting to the presence of mega heracross.

Hacker

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Mega Heracross Ballance
Team: https://pastebin.com/6Mnjrgh8
First Mega Heracross Has Very Few Switchins In This Meta Thus It Gives Me A Stall/WallBreaker.Tapu Koko Beats All of Mega Heracross Switchins Including Skarmory And Tapu Koko Making Tapu Koko And Heracross Pokemon That Support Eachother.Latios Is Here Because I Need Hazord Control And It Is A Great Wallbreaker With A Choice Specs It Has 0 Counter's.Kartana Is A Good Late Game Cleaner Of Mega Heracross Cant having swords dance and getting a speed boost with every ko. Tangrowth Is The First Part Of My Regenerator Core ANd My Team Needed Bulk And Can Sponge Some Special Hits With The Assault Vest. Slowbro Is The 2nd Part Of My Regenerator Core And Synergize Well With Tangrowth Covering All Its Weaknesses Together.I Know This Team Is Weak To Greninja But I Can Pivit Into Tangwroth With It Or Tapu Koko.

Last edited:
https://pastebin.com/0XSVGR2i

This is the classic Baton Pass team from Ben Gay that I adapted to Cross over Latias. It has 136 Speed Evs that are used to outspeed Mega Zam and Aero at +2 Speed Boost, and with an Adamant nature, Cross will break a lot of things (Lando scares it :[), and it can also win against Scolipede teams cause of Rock Blast, that breaks Scoli Substitute, and can use Pin Missile against Necrozma that aren't boosted. EQ is necessary for threats like Koko and Toxapex if required, and Close Combat is its best Fight Type STAB.

Greetings. :]

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

Seeing as the archive lacks a BO team I figured I'd just go ahead and share this team here despite most likely not going to be added, just in case someone's looking for a solid BO. I built this a couple of days ago because I wanted something solid to get back points I lost due to decay from a 3 weeks hiatus I took from the game because of irl stuff. Since I didn't have anything in mind I wanted to use I took a look at some solid cores from the Good Cores thread and decided on a Ferrothorn+Ash Gren core I really liked because Spikes are stupid rn and Ferrothorn just lays Spikes vs a good amount of the meta, especially mons that Ash Gren draws in such as Tangrowth, Toxapex, Amoongus, Tapu Fini. Scarf Lati is a bit of an odd choice in the current meta but I liked the role compression it provided with a solid Fire check because Ferrothorn invites offensive Fire-types every time it tries to get Spikes up, as well as checking Keldeo which gives the core a lot of trouble and in general is annoying for this type of teams. Scarf Recover is probably not optimal but I don't like the idea of being constantly pressured by Charizard-Y/Keldeo and that's the best way to fix that issue. Next I wanted a strong wallbreaker that could abuse the momentum provided by Ash Greninja as well as the Spikes from Ferro. Mawile fit the bill perfectly while also improving the Stall matchup so I went with a standard 4 attacks set. I still needed a Stealth Rock setter and a better Ground-immunity because Band Zygarde was looking threatening so I added phys def Lando-t. Supersonic Skystrike Lando is a set I've been toying withlately because I really like the pressure it puts on bulky Grass-types for Ash Gren to get its transformation more easily, although HP Ice works just fine here because I'm a bit Sub Coil Zygarde weak. It also does surprisingly well vs Stall because it lures Sableye after you reveal you are U-Turn and not SD so you can smack it with EQ into SSSS. Tapu Koko was chosen as the last mon because I wanted another pivot for my Mawile as well as a less shaky Pinsir check. Fast Taunts also pressure bulkier builds and forces 50-50s vs lead Smeargles.
I used this team and went undefeated from the low 1500's back to 1700 where I was before tilting+losing elo to decay and I think it can win pretty much any matchup which is what I really like. Maybe I'm overrating it because I beat bp like 3 times with it and called it a day lol fuck bp.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Trick

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fly

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Taunt

edit: it also won me a room tour if that matters for anything n_n

Last edited:

njnp

Alrighty, latest update 2 the sample leaves 3 teams remaining. 2 Stalls and Webs. Hopefully a metagame trend will arise with the ban of gross and the introduction of mega hera but atm this is all we have that is consistent.

njnp

Is there a chance that you can just make an "outdated" section at the end of your initial post? This might encourage people to modify those teams to adapt better to the current metagame while still preserving the memory of the older meta.
Could we have an archive of the teams that are removed? Would be cool as a reference as well as to see meta trends in common teams.
Done.

Team: https://pastebin.com/LDynAWBz

First The Purpose Of This Team Is Too Weaken The Team With Mega Mawile And Cleen Up Wthere Toith Greninja Ash Greninja. The Purpose Of Mawile Is Too SD And Tear A Hole Through The Team. Tapu Koko Is There To Tear Upon The Common Defensive Core Landourous-T ,Toxapex, And Tangrowth It Breaks That Defensive Core Down Cause This Team Struggles With It It Cant Break Phys Def Toxapex Plus AV Tangwroth. Greninja Is There To Clean Up Late Game With Water Shuriken/Dark Pulse And To Get Momentum With U Turn. Lando T Is There For Bulk And To Wear Down Other Lando's Which We Are Slower Then So If It U Turns We Don't Take Rocky Helmet Damage. Tapu Fini Is Here For Hazard Removal/Bulky Water It Checks Non Giga Drain Volc Or Roost with natures madness plus moonblast to kill. Tangrowth is Here To Pivit Into Greninja For A Soft Check If Its Ash Gren If Protean Tapu Koko Counters It On a Double Thats the Team.Its already a sample but i made it my playstyle
stop using caps on every word holy

njnp

So, gonna try a project...with the introduction of Mega Swampert there will be alot of different rain teams made. I'm personally not sure with its introduction being fresh which rain team is best right now. So, we will vote which swampert team we like best and it will be a sample. The teams must be yours and give explanations if you want, not required. It's quite simple if people like your team it will be sampled. I myself will start this contest off...it will end friday night for team submission. I'll have a poll posted with all the teams included(some may be removed by being awful/unviable) also the teams with the most likes under it will most definitely be in the poll. The poll will be posted friday night (after team submission ends) and the contest will end on sunday night.

AtlantaTrapRain

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Fly

"Anti"-MetaRain

Pelipper (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Ice Punch

Venomoth @ Buginium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quiver Dance

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake
- U-turn

WaterDeepRain

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 200 HP / 144 SpA / 100 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor

Yeezy Rain

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Spikes

Thundurus @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Swampert is jesus.

Hope everyone enjoys the contest and enjoy the teams!!!

Last edited:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Gyarados @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch

I've been waiting for Swampertite to be released so when it finally came out yesterday I was ecstatic. I love rain teams so I immediately set forth making a rain team around this beast. I tried to build the team a little different than typical rain teams to try to keep it fresh.

Obviously, there's Mega Swampert. The set doesn't require too much explanation. Waterfall for Water STAB, Earthquake for Ground STAB, and Ice Punch for coverage gives this Pokemon just about everything it needs. I settled on Superpower for the last slot, however there's room for plenty of other options. One option I tried out and actually enjoyed was running a Naughty nature with Scald in the last slot. Scald in the rain hits some of the physically defensive Pokes in the tier hard such as Landorus-T coming in with Intimidate or Skarmory. Additionally, Scald can spread burns on common switch-ins like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth. I paired Pert with the premiere rain-setter, Pelipper, with a standard rain support set.

Building around Mega Pert I looked out for Pokemon that can be problematic for it to function. I identified opposing Swift Swim Kingdra, Scarf Latios and Scarf Keldeo as being potential issues so I decided to add Celebi and AV Magearna to the team as the two of them can comfortably handle the aforementioned Pokemon with ease. Celebi provides rocks and a reliable status absorber with Natural Cure and Recover while having solid typing synergy with the first two Pokemon. AV Magearna was added to provided a reliable way to check Scarf Latios and to handle Sableye, which can threaten the physical sweepers on the team with Prankster Will-o-Wisp. Magearna, Pelipper and Celebi make an interesting mix of U-Turn and Volt Switch Pokemon making it really easy to bring in the other threats.

Looking at the team I identified some of the bulkier grass types in the tier as potentially being a thorn in the side of the team. I feel that any rain team has to be readily prepared for Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur. I felt like this was a great opportunity to add Icium-Z Kyurem-B to the team. Teravolt makes Thick Fat no longer a reliable method for Mega Venusaur to tank hits and Icium-Z lets you easily break through walls like Ferrothorn, Celesteela and Skarmory.

For the final slot I decided to add something potentially a little odd, but it actually worked out extremely well with the team and claimed a number of wins on the ladder (in a rather comical way, I might add). Scarf Moxie Gyarados is surprisingly strong even after a single boost, and rain-boosted Waterfalls is nothing to sneeze at. If you can soften up or remove the opposing water-resistances it can clean up shop with ease. I added Iron Head on to the final slot because it's able to 2HKO Tapu Bulu.

Overall, I have been really impressed with how this team turned out. I wasn't able to identify too many glaring weaknesses and it felt like a fresh take on rain (at least for me) and the team felt very cohesive offensively and defensively. Let me know if you have any suggestions and I will gladly test them out and incorporate them if they are sound. I'm hoping to add some more replays later today when I get the chance to get back on showdown.

Last edited:

Peeko (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Big Bird (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Swolepert (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

Krakatoa (Volcanion) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Sludge Wave

Nemo (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Free Hugs (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

This is a slight bastardization of a rain team I made back in ORAS. So with Mega-Pert finally being released again its time for him to shine. Back in ORAS my rain team missed three things but could only have at best two. Hazard removal or Rain abuse. On the OG team Kabutops was a spinner and rain abuser but its outclassed by Kingdra in rain abuse, and outclassed by Pelipper for hazard removal. But with Pelipper getting drizzle I could drop Politoed, gain a keldeo check and hazard removal without giving up Kingdra/Pert's rain abuse.

Volcanion is what gives this team its name. Specs Steam Eruption in the rain has a pretty decent chance of 2HKOing Chansey after rocks damage 252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 283-334 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock leaving Chansey either gone or pressured to the point in which it is no longer a rain check. Volcanion also OHKOs Ferrothorn in the rain 252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 388-460 (110.2 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO with flamethrower, heatwave is used for more damage without the accuracy of Fire Blast. Steam Eruption also 2HKOs Ferrothorn in rain so Ferrothorn like chansey is either neutered or eliminated by Volcanion. Tapu Fini is really the only switch in to specs eruption however 252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 16+ SpD Tapu Fini: 105-125 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- 59.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery making it heavily pressured. If Volcanion were the only rain abuser on the team Fini would be an issue. However between Steam Eruption, Sludge Wave, and HP Electric, Fini is very easily worn. Even in conjecture with Ferrothorn. The role of Volcanion is to break down rain checks to the point that Swampert or Kingdra can sweep. HP Electric is specifically for Gyarados and Mantine otherwise they set up for days or wall the team.

Ferrothorn is necessary for this team for multiple reasons. It makes opposing Latios/Kingdra have to favor Draco Meteor with Volcanion on the team, provides speed control with twave, gives rocks and most importantly acts as a rain/Tapu Lele check. Max spdef is used to better take dracos and tapu lele other wise Pelipper is used to eat physical attacks.

Tornadus is the Anti-Weather lead and stall breaker. Lead Tornadus against opposing Zard Y's and Ttars to OHKO all TTars bar chople berry and to get a u-turn into Pelipper after Zard Y megas. The EVs are there to OHKO all TTars baring Chople and Bold max def. Knock Off is there to remove Eviolite from Chansey in stall and to just be annoying. Superpower OHKOs Chansey after Knock Off and U-Turn is there to hit dark/psychics while gaining momentum.

Kingdra is the usual late game cleaner but can also act as a wall breaker for Swampert. Like Volcanion HP Electric is there for mantine/Gyarados. I never use Hydro Pump since Surf has better accuracy and whatever Hydro Pump KOs that surf doesn't, stealth rocks usually makes up for that damage difference. So why not go HP Electric.

Swampert is the final rain abuser but is also the easiest for the opponent to take advantage of. Between Landorus/Ferrothorn/Tapu Fini, Swampert can be pretty easily checked. To try and circumvent that fact Power-Up punch is used to neuter Landorus's Intimidate, set up for a sweep, and to provide a hell of a lot of chip into Ferrothorn on the switch. Power-Up Punch + EQ does something like 70 to Ferrothorn after lefties versus the 50 or 60 of two EQs into Ferrothorn.

Threats include Mega-Alakazam since only Mega-Pert can take a psychic (but not energy ball) and it fairly easily gets either Water Absorb or Swift Swim from Trace. Z-Fly Gyarados is a huge threat as well since if twave misses or it gets two DDs up its GG. Medicham is a huge threat as well but usually when people see rain and how weak it is to Medicham they'll lead Cham. So to counter that either bring in Pert in rain or have Tornadus Hurricane since Pert takes about 20 from Fakeout and Tornadus can just regen fakeout damage and immediately threaten with a OHKO. There are no switch ins to it on this team so if its not in versus pert or Torn, pick a sack. Mantine is also an issue (hence the HP electrics) but its passive, weak to rocks and ferrothorn as a whole. In general people rarely carry more than two rain checks and those can easily be worn down. Three rain checks takes a lot of prediction and time to wear down but overall isnt much of an issue since dedicating half a team to checking/countering rain opens that team up to the rest of the meta it isn't too problematic.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Posting on the behalf of Little Lucario

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD Bold
Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Hurricane
- U-turn

EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump/Hidden Power Electric

Cresselia @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Lunar Dance

Standard Pelipper, provided EVs do help you deal with stuff like Keldeo that you need to check a bit easier. Due to the large number of birds on this team, I decided that Defog was necessary to prevent me from getting fucking mauled by rocks. I chose to run Hurricane over Scald because I already have Pert + Kingdra providing consistent Water STAB as is and it helps me also threaten out Keldeo and chip away at shit like Ferrothorn for teammates. Slow U-turn is just nice to get in teammates and 30 speed ivs is a stupid creep for other Pelippers so that the rain v rain MU is slightly better.

Mega Swampert is the a really powerful sweeper that's incredibly consistent at cleaning late game provided that you do a good job weakening its checks. Mega Swampert getting its rain sweeping ability turn 1 is incredibly helpful and it makes it a lot easier to pivot in on stuff and start blasting through the opposing team immediately. This is an aoa set so it’s pretty self explanatory. The odd EV spread puts you 1 point above scarf Keldeo in the rain and the rest is dumped into bulk. You can run Stone Edge over Superpower if you’re having more issues with Mantine, but I personally prefer bashing away at Ferrothorn.

Cool specially defensive ferro that helps a ton with mons like Mega Alakazam that would otherwise curbstomp this team. Rocks are important for every team and pressure opposing Zardy from repeatedly coming in and offsetting rain, which is very important. In my eyes, both Gyro Ball and Power Whip are non negotiable on this set because Gyro is necessary to check Mega Zam reliably while Power Whip is needed to make sure that my matchup vs opposing rain teams is pretty good.

Agility Zapdos is a very solid sweeper that can clean up late game vs many offensive teams. Boltbeam coverage coupled with Heat Wave is extremely difficult to switch into, making Agility Zapdos an insane threat for a lot of teams to deal with. Electrium Z makes it so that you can muscle past things like Tapu Lele that normally eat Thunders for breakfast. The EVs let you outspeed Choice Scarf Greninja after a boost, and that’s basically the fastest relevant mon that you need to outspeed. This thing is really effective late game, after your swift swimmers have broken down the opposing team to a point where Zapdos can sweep.

pecs Kingdra is a sick breaker that can blast through a lot of common offensive builds that rely on things like Tapu Bulu or Tapu Fini as their water resist that beat most Water-types with pure offensive pressure. The provided EVs hit the same benchmark that Zapdos hits and allow you to maximize your power. Ice Beam hits bulky grass types like Tapu Bulu that would otherwise “eat” hits from this set but is seldom used anyways, Surf is the Water move that I like relying on because of how incredibly consistent it is, and Draco Meteor is really handy for OHKOing a lot of dragons and similar water resists that would otherwise be problematic. The final moveslot is usually Hydro Pump because the added power over Surf can be useful in select scenarios, but HP Electric is a viable option here too for luring and severely weakening Mantine so that it is no longer a reliable switch into pert.

In the last slot I have a bit of an oddball pick here, but Cresselia helps out this team a ton. Cresselia is a very useful teammate here that makes the team quite consistent. Obviously, this team is very reliant on having rain up to function effectively, so having a secondary rain setter to set up rain late-game for a potential sweep is super helpful. Aside from being able to get off a rain easily later in the game, Cresselia can also be used to give one of the weakened sweepers a second chance at a sweep after the opponent has long since sacked their primary checks to it, essentially giving you the choice between 2 M-Perts, 2 Kingdras, or 2 Zapdoses depending on how the game is going. Ice Beam is just a solid defensive coverage move that lets cress take on stuff like Garchomp and Lando-T that can wear down Swampert or Zygarde that can stop Zapdos from quite sweeping, and the last slot should be Psychic because Psychic allows you to break down Mega Venusaur a little for teammates. If you’re having issues breaking through things like Tangrrowth, Ferrothorn, etc. you can put either a Specs Torn-T or a Specs Moltres here to aid you wit h that, but I really feel that the added consistency behind running Cresselia is more valuable.

Last edited:

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.

AV Tangrowth + DD Zygarde Rain

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Fleur Cannon
- Shift Gear

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 224 HP / 56 Def / 228 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Bronzong @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 208 HP / 228 SpA / 72 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock

ENJOY and ask me any questions if you have a hard time understanding any of the sets or just want to know how the team functions :heart:

MegaStarUniverse

Banned deucer.
Posting on behalf of imsosorrylol :heart:

imsosorrylol RAIN

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

explanation pending

The rain team above me has 5 mons in common with mine. Posting this now before somebody posts one with all 6 in common and I look totally unoriginal lol.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Swampert @ Swampertite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Ok, so what I wanted was a team that could maintain momentum really well, and at least have a passable matchup vs stall. To this end I've put 2 decent breakers in Torn-T and Lando-T, and 3 of my mons have voltturn so I can keep up pressure. The first three mons are very obvious, so I'll give only a brief explanation. The EV spread on pelipper lets it take 2 scarf keldeo hydro pumps from full, rest is dumped into defence with a bold nature. I've chosen to put defog on pelipper because ORAS rain suffered from being overwhelmed by hazard stack. Jolly on Swampert may make it weaker, but this lets it outspeed a lot of mons including scarf Keldeo where it wouldn't otherwise.

I've used AV magearna because I wanted a pokemon that could beat Lele, take on Gren not locked into specs Hydro, and something else that could beat scarf Keldeo 1v1. Magearna is good because it maintains momentum well, I don't want to waste a single rain turn, and it hits hard. Focus Blast is used as the coverage move because Aura Sphere doesn't do enough to Ferro, which is a huge threat to rain teams.

LO Tornadus-T will probably always be good on rain teams. I needed something that beat Tang 1v1 and beat Medicham outside of rain. Taunt lets it pressure Toxapex and Chansey well, and I've used a hasty nature so it can take scalds from Toxapex a little better under rain. I used U turn as the last option because I need to keep up momentum against opposing Magearna and Rotom-w, and free turns just isn't something I can give to either of those 2 pokemon. Finally, I needed something that could reliably get up rocks vs Stall, and help get down Rotom-w and Skarm for Swampert. Lando T hits Toxapex super effectively, and this particular set I think pressures stall very nicely, while providing useful intimidates vs offence.

This is probably the most generic rain team posted, but I feel like it has some key advantages, because I was very careful to not use anything even remotely passive that would waste rain turns. I have plenty of pivots + one of the few rockers in the game that works vs SabSkarm to help chip away at bulky teams.

Last edited:
[URL='https://pldh.net/dex/sprites/swampert#'][/URL]
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower / Stone Edge / Rain Dance

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz / Hidden Power Ice
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Psychic

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Healing Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

This is a pretty fun team that i built around with the newly released mega swampert. i feel like all these balance teams running around with stuff like landorus, toxapex, tangrowth, zygarde, scizor, zapdos etc. all get heavily dented by mega swampert. absolutely love this mon. lets go over the individual members.

Pelipper is my rain setter as usual. the EV spread is chosen here to capitalize on its decent defensive typing, checking things like scizor and non tpunch zard x. i think the thing that made pelipper so valuable over politoed is its reliable recovery in roost and a way to pivot into rain abusers with uturn.

Mega Swampert is, like previously mentioned, a threatening sweeper under rain. not only that, it has the bulk to take hits such as tapu lele's psychic, specs surf from kingdra under rain, and dark pulse from ash greninja. the typing also is very nice, allowing you to naturally check tapu koko, thundurus, and non-bloom doom heatran. the EV spread is pretty self explanatory: power and speed. a jolly nature can be run to have enough speed to outspeed scarf terrakion and garchomp, but adamant is generally preferred. the last move is pretty flexible. superpower does about 60 min to ferrothorn, stone edge lets you hit pelipper and mantine, and rain dance can be used as a last ditch effort if pelipper dies. alternatively, but definitely more situational, if you are finding yourself weak versus tapu bulu, you could even run sludge wave, which does 88 min. (ice punch only does about 60 to bulu.)

Kingdra is the secondary rain sweeper that pairs well with mega swampert due to their physical/specially offensive synergy. EVs are self explanatory. kingdra helps break down things that may annoy swampert, like rocky helmet landorus t/garchomp, and also helps weaken shared checks like ferrothorn and tapu fini, both of which don't have reliable recovery (if ferrothorn isnt running leech seed.) in return, swampert beats down chansey. kingdra also gives a check to opposing rain, because it can come in on a kingdra locked into surf or do upwards of 90% to swampert.

Ferrothorn, i find, is about as equal to kingdra as being a necessity on a rain team. it just brings so much to the table in this metagame, especially on rain. first off, rain gives ferrothorn basically an 8-turn occa berry, which is great to assist in its longevity. also it gets up spikes which greatly helps the team for pokemon like kingdra and swampert to click their stab moves with ease. three water types on the team means they share similar weaknesses, and ferrothorn covers them with its phenomenal typing. it checks things like lele, ash greninja, koko, landorus-t, etc, setting up spikes and annoying the opponent with leech seed, and in turn, the rain core obliterates things ferrothorn is weak to, like heatran and magnezone.

Volcarona is an interesting pick i threw on the team originally with hurricane but decided to switch it up. volcarona gives me a backup win condition if the opponents team has been dented heavily by rain pressure, spikes, scald burns, and leech seed residuals. bug buzz is chosen here because i feel that with 3 water types and knock off from clefable, heatran isnt that much of an issue for me to run hp ground on volcarona. bug buzz is less commonly seen this generation, but it allow volcarona to muscle through some of its regular checks like latios, mega gyarados, tyranitar, and also go through potential substitutes. HP ice can also be run allowing you to hit zygarde harder at +1, but unless it is weakened, it's just going to toxic you or hit you up with a banded thousand arrows. psychium z allows volcarona to break through the likes of common rain annoyances, like toxapex, mega venusaur, and even the rare tentacruel. fiery dance is a more accurate stab that will probably be more useful late game, but fire blast can be used as well for the extra power.

Clefable is a very solid mon i wanted to put on the team, as it gives me a check to so many mons, like choice-locked gengar/keldeo/garchomp etc. knock off is incredibly useful on this set, because it is able to get rid of so many important items like marowak's thick club, tangrowth's assault vest, heatran's leftovers, toxapex's sludge, and so on. clefable is always an annoyance due to its bulk and typing, and the fact it gets recovery. healing wish is also crucial on this set because it gives a second life to any one of the mons which can still put a heavy dent in the opponents team when healed up. it essentially patches the team together with its versatility.

hope you enjoyed the team! lots of fun to use :]

upload_2017-6-1_8-37-46.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-38-47.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-39-25.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-39-48.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-40-14.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-40-38.gif

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility
upload_2017-6-1_8-41-49.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-43-34.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-38-47.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-45-14.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-45-42.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-46-3.gif
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Omastar @ Waterium Z
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam

EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Yawn

Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Focus Blast

Cresselia @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Lunar Dance
upload_2017-6-1_8-47-11.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-47-20.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-47-42.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-47-54.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-48-7.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-48-27.gif
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump

Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Moltres @ Choice Specs
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- U-turn

Thundurus @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
upload_2017-6-1_8-48-46.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-49-3.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-49-21.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-49-37.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-49-51.gif
upload_2017-6-1_8-50-13.gif
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Zapdos @ Electrium Z
Ability: Static
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 24 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock (Double Rocks bc pert should only ever be clicking rocks vs stall)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying] / Toxic / Sludge Wave
- U-turn

This is just a compilation of 4 or so rain teams I made that are pretty self explanatory in nature and most of my thought processes follow the same structure as the team that was made by me that was previously posted.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)