SM OU SM OU stall team

Just made this stall team which is also my first stall team.
its pretty much your average stall team nothing too special. Now the problem is actually winning with this team. The
issue here is the crapfest that is the low ladder where i encounter things like stored power swoobat or basically anything anti stall like taunt or dragon tail. My strategy constantly gets countered for some reason which has caused me many ragequits to the point of beating myself or my phone in rage over getting my ass handed :fukyu:.

Satan (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

This is chansey one of the core members of this stall team and is also an automatic pick for any viable stall team. She can keep my pokemon alive with wish which is very important on a stall team.

Toxic is my status move of choice for chansey and works at most pokemon except for steel types and other poison types.

Soft boiled is the main recovery move of chansey and keeps her alive which is important.

Seismic toss is the main attack of chansey and is really the only viable attack on chansey.

Soundwave (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

With spikes skarmory becomes the main spike setter and has sturdy to guarantee it gets up at least one layer of spikes.
Defog gets rid of entry hazards if mega sableye is unable to do its job which is to stop entry hazards from coming up. Roost is the main recovery move of skarmory and enables it to heal any damage taken. Brave bird is the main attacking move of skarmory and makes it so its not completely useless if taunted.

Annoying ghost (Sableye-Mega) @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
This is sableye the main support pokemon of the team and its a key member of any stall team because of its ability to block entry hazards and other non damaging moves like taunt or status moves which can really cripple most if not all stall teams not running mega sableye.

Knock off cripples item reliant pokemon like chansey, dusclops or tangrowth by getting rid of their item.
Protect is a move used for scouting what the opponent is trying to do such as trying to set up on me or any super effective coverage moves. Will o wisp cripples the attack of any physical attacker which is important to have on a stall team.
Recover is the recovery move of choice for mega sableye and enables it to do its job correctly.

Tinkerbell (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock.
Clefable is the main stealth rock setter of the team and is a pokemon commonly seen on most stall teams because of its ability to support the team with moves like heal bell and stealth rock.

Soft boiled heals clefable so it can support the team which is important on a stall team.
Heal bell keeps my teammates healthy and heals status moves like spore or toxic.

Moonblast is the main attacking move of clefable and enables it to take on things like dragon types or anything weak to fairy type moves.
Stealth rock is my entry hazard of choice for clefable and makes it easier for my pokemon to get the kills.

Stall machine (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover

Toxic spikes is the main entry hazard of toxapex and combined with the 2 other entry hazards it can become a force to be reckoned with.
Haze stops pokemon from setting up which could potentially make me lose the match.
Scald is the attacking move of choice for toxapex and has a chance to burn the opponent.
Recover is the recovery move of toxapex and gives it more longevity.

Quagmire (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic

Finally this is my last pokemon quagsire the tank of the team
a pokemon commonly associated with stall teams. I am not sure of to replace this pokemon with something else or not. Usually dugtrio would have been used but after the ban of arena trap i am not too sure what to use.

Like the rest of the team quagsire has a recovery move which is important to make sure it can tank those hits and hit back hard.
Earthquake combined with the status move toxic can hit a lot of things hard. Scald is the main stab move of quagsire and is part of the main quagsire set. Toxic is the main status move of quagsire and works well especially with its stab moves.
If there is anything i can improve on with this team please let me know i would gladly appreciate it
and is stall still a viable strategy in ou or not and what threaths to my team should i be aware of and their counters?

Hey uber armaldo! Well, I admire you for having the courage to post the first stall team you've ever built in the RMT forums. Well, to be frank I don't think your stall team is that good which I will give a number of reasons for. What I will be doing after that is show you a rather standard stall team and explain what the standardized version does better than your stall. Without further ado, let's get started.

Overview:
So, let me start off by saying this: The spreads and moveset of the Pokémon are fine, standard movesets and spreads were being used that work in a vacuum. However, the main problem I have with the team is the team composition. The roles certain Pokémon have on the team are just not productive to the style of stall at all. Let's take Clefable for example: Why is it the rocker of the team when firsly, the job can be shifted to Chansey with ease. And secondly, the main job of Clefable on stall is to act as an Unaware Wish-Passer. Like I do appreciate that almost every aspect of a stall team is covered, but it just isn't solid enough. Also, I would strongly advise you, if you use Skarmory, to always run Shed Shell.
The Team:
Explanation:
So what does this team do better than the stall you have shared with us? It isn't as repetetive in terms of the jobs, we have Pokémon that are strictly designed to do certain jobs: Jirachi for Wish-Pass, Tangrowth as the physical tank, Chansey as the rocker and special tank, etc. Your team on the other hand has Pokémon that do certain jobs, but won't do it well simply because it doesn't fit in the norm (A Magic Guard Clefable won't do well on stall because it will just get overwhelmed by a huge proportion of the meta). There is also no real repetetiveness that was seen on your team with the combination of Quagsire and Toxapex, both
types that don't really harmonize well together. Toxapex basically does the job of Quaqsire, just on the special end, and I do think you have that covered with Chansey already. Additionally, to put it plain and simple, there are Pokémon that get outclassed by others in the current metagame (Zapdos > Skarmory). All of that makes a stall team look and perform better.
I was just giving my thoughts on the team and I wanted to show you what a stall team looks like these days and what jobs need to be covered. I apologize if I went a little too harsh on the team at certain points, but I do feel like your team just won't do a good job (like you explained btw lol). The team shouldnt really get surprised by "memes" anymore and low ladder should be conquered easily. If you have any questions or criticsm concerning this post, feel free to tell me! With that being said, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and I apologize for being too harsh.

Last edited:
Hey uber armaldo! Well, I admire you for having the courage to post the first stall team you've ever built in the RMT forums. Well, to be frank I don't think your stall team is that good which I will give a number of reasons for. What I will be doing after that is show you a rather standard stall team and explain what the standardized version does better than your stall. Without further ado, let's get started.

Overview:
So, let me start off by saying this: The spreads and moveset of the Pokémon are fine, standard movesets and spreads were being used that work in a vacuum. However, the main problem I have with the team is the team composition. The roles certain Pokémon have on the team are just not productive to the style of stall at all. Let's take Clefable for example: Why is it the rocker of the team when firsly, the job can be shifted to Chansey with ease. And secondly, the main job of Clefable on stall is to act as an Unaware Wish-Passer. Like I do appreciate that almost every aspect of a stall team is covered, but it just isn't solid enough. Also, I would strongly advise you, if you use Skarmory, to always run Shed Shell.
The Team:
Explanation:
So what does this team do better than the stall you have shared with us? It isn't as repetetive in terms of the jobs, we have Pokémon that are strictly designed to do certain jobs: Jirachi for Wish-Pass, Tangrowth as the physical tank, Chansey as the rocker and special tank, etc. Your team on the other hand has Pokémon that do certain jobs, but won't do it well simply because it doesn't fit in the norm (A Magic Guard Clefable won't do well on stall because it will just get overwhelmed by a huge proportion of the meta). There is also no real repetetiveness that was seen on your team with the combination of Quagsire and Toxapex, both
types that don't really harmonize well together. Toxapex basically does the job of Quaqsire, just on the special end, and I do think you have that covered with Chansey already. Additionally, to put it plain and simple, there are Pokémon that get outclassed by others in the current metagame (Zapdos > Skarmory). All of that makes a stall team look and perform better.
I was just giving my thoughts on the team, and I wanted to show you what a stall team looks like these days and what jobs need to be covered. I apologize if I went a little too harsh on the team at certain points, but I do feel like your team just won't do a good job (like you explained btw lol). The team shouldnt really get surprised by "memes" anymore and low ladder should be conquered easily. If you have any questions or criticsm concerning this post, feel free to tell me! With that being said, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and I apologize for being too harsh.
The main reason why i am running magic guard on clefable is because pokemon showdown wont let me use the unaware ability with roost in its moveset outside of the newest generation. And i put quagsire on there because i needed something to deal with setup sweepers without pokemon showdown screwing me over. And looking at my team i realised i did not need both toxapex and quagsire to deal with set up sweepers so i got rid of toxapex.

I have a few pieces of advice:

1. Pick Wish or Softboiled on Chansey.
I recommend Wish for extra team support and replacing Softboiled with Heal Bell, as well as Toxic for Stealth Rock because Toxapex has T Spikes. This frees 2 of Clefable’s moveslots to make it more of an Unaware tank to win the majority of setup wars. Here’s a set I made just now that could replace the Magic Guard one:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish/Bubble Beam (for Fire types, has more power than Hidden Power)
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

SpD will be increased with CM.

2. Drop Quagsire
Now that we have an Unaware user, a tank and the classic bulky Water type, Quagsire has no purpose on this team. However, it may seem difficult to replace it. Hippodown is at least a solid replacement. It can provide chip damage with Sand Stream, phaze and set up SR so Chansey has a free moveslot. This set I used on my first stall team, mostly stolen from Smogon’s recommendation:

Stallytoed (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Crunch

The name is a pun on Politoed.

3) Replace Knock Off with Foul Play on Sableye (maybe)
This depends on whether you want to remove items or severely punish physical wallbreakers. If you choose to take this advice, I recommend one of your other mons run Knock Off if you would like the utility of item removal.

I hope this advice is any good. I hope that if you make these changes to your team (if they are beneficial), you can make people rage quit with Toxapex (I’ve done it). Good luck!

Last edited:
Just added these changes on my team and because chansey has a free moveset now that hippowdown can set up stealth rock i added reflect on chansey so it and other specially defensive pokemon can have a better matchup against physical attackers.

Just added these changes on my team and because chansey has a free moveset now that hippowdown can set up stealth rock i added reflect on chansey so it and other specially defensive pokemon can have a better matchup against physical attackers.

Also I forgot to read that you removed Toxapex, but I’m glad you found an appropriate move to replace SR on Chansey! Just watch out for Infiltrator, Brick Break and Defog. Thanks for taking my advice!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)