Project SM OU Teambuilding Workshop 2019 [Open!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

art by Ssensenh
Teambuilders

Rules

• Welcome to the USM OU Teambuilding Workshop! Here, we'll take requested starting points of a single Pokémon or a core of two Pokémon and produce a team based around it, post it here, and include a description of our teambuilding process to hopefully help others improve their building toolkit.
  • To request a core, simply post the sets and have a brief description providing an overview of how the core works/what it does.
  • You may only request once at a time, please wait until yor request is done before making another.
  • A Pokémon can only be requested if it's listed somewhere on the Viability Rankings thread. Exceptions can be made with prior approval from the host.
  • Cores may only include Pokémon ranked B+ or above in the Viability Rankings thread. Exceptions can be made with prior approval from the host.
  • If you'd like to change one of your requests please contact the host beforehand.
  • Please don't pester any builder to build quickly, we all have our busy lives and we're doing this completely voluntarily.
  • I reserve the rights to claim a request as unworkable and not list it if it features a impratical core or an akward set.
Current Requests

• Mega Latias + Tapu Koko
    Mega Sableye + Volcarona
    Scolipede
    SD Gliscor + Magnezone
    Ash-Greninja + Mega Lopunny
    Kyurem-B + Ferrothorn
    Z-Hurricane Volcarona
    Nidoking
    Mega Pinsir
    Thundurus-T
    Mega Diancie
    Choice Specs Tapu Koko
    Crawdaunt
    Mega Latios + Kyurem-B
    Mega Lopunny
    Rockium Z Garchomp + Choice Scarf Greninja
    Greninja + Zapdos
    Tapu Bulu + Double Dance Magearna
    Life Orb Clefable
    Ditto + Hoopa-U
    Serperior
    Perish Trap Azumarril
    Trick Room
    Tapu Lele + Kartana
Team Archive

Last edited by a moderator:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon / Ice Beam

Hello Builders!

After Zygarde left the tier, both Magearna and Heatran made threats even more solid.
Magearna is a threat with unpredictable coverage while Heatran is a solid trapper (when Magma Storn does not miss).
In addition the synergy between the two is excellent, due to the fact that Heatran can eliminate the few switch in of Magearna, such as Chansey and Toxapex, making Magearna an even stronger wincon.

The set of Magearna SF + 3 attacks is my favorite, and I do not care about changes in moves because its unpredictability is one of the things I most enjoy. Any changes in Heatran will also be well accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Transform

I think Ditto is an interesting anti-meta pick. It excels in what I call extreme match-ups, those that are on both sides of the offensive spectrum: stall (better if paired with a regen mon) and set-up spam HO. It can also take part in basically any kind of build and offer infinite possiblities and solutions to battles, so I am curious about what you can do with all this potential.

I'll be happy with any type of team you make, but maybe it's worth saying that at this moment I'm trying to build a team with Zard-X, another mon that really hurts this meta.

Thank you in advance.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Probably not in the best of situations now with Rotom-W on the rise, bulky M.Latias everywhere and hp invested Bulu, who only takes a small amount of speed investment to outpace Azumarill. However I think Azumarills a fun mon to use, as I miss the days where you could Belly Drum up and spam Aqua Jet a few times to win, so I'm hoping you can do something with this:)

Zard X + Ash Greninja
Photo credit to Bulbapedia. Image result for ash greninja

Zard X handles fat grasses and electric-types for Gren, while Gren threatens bulky grounds, revenge kills, and supports Zard and itself with Spikes. Both tend to struggle against fat water-types and are prone to getting worn down by hazards, and definitely need a solid defensive backbone to help them pivot around. Personally I think Roost 3 Attacks Zard X and Specs Ash Gren fit together the best but any set is fine. I really like how this core matches up against the current meta and is effective against every team archetype so I'd love to see a team featuring it.

Last edited:
Hello guys, im so glad this topic is finally open.
Anyway, I would like to request a team around bulky Volcarona and Tapu Fini, because I feel like they cover some troublesome Pokémon for eachother (Kartana/Bulu) and Fini can give nice defog Support and an immunity to Status, which I feel is nice for this Volcarona set. (For Vol i would use the spread of the analysis, but for fini maybe a More specific spread than 252/252, cuz with More SpDef it can better check Ash and Tran.) On a sitenote i thought maybe jirachi fits nice as a Wishpasser for fini, but i dunno about that tbh.
I would be really glad about it :)

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

I failed to build around this for several times and I'd like to request a team around Mega Gallade. Any archetype is fine. Please do keep Knock Off, since that's the main niche over Mega Medicham aside from the Speed. I have no other specific requests, thanks a lot builders!

I'm kinda ashamed to RE(x50)post something, but my last request wasn't taken in the previous thread (but this time is kinda different). So, here I go:
Mega Latias + Tapu Koko

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Stored Power / Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam / Refresh

Mega Latias is a pretty cool mon due to how many different things it can do. However, it cannot do everything. Koko is really consistent compared to before Zyg's ban, and appreciate M-Latias' pack of resistances & bulk, while the latter struggles with Greninja, Toxapex (as long it catches it at +1), etc. They can fit on Bulky Offenses or Balances, given their offensive presence.

Btw, are the previous thread's teams going to be featured here?​

Last edited:

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic / Protect
- Recover
- Knock Off / Foul Play

Volcarona @ Psychium Z / Bugium Z / Firium Z
Ability: Swarm
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic / Hidden Power Ground

Wanted to Build around an OG core from back in the ORAS day ( Sable - Volc/Talon) and want to use it in this meta but would like to see a team build around these two as optimal as possible!

Mega Sableye prevents rocks which impedes Volcarona’s opportinity to setup etc. And Sableye can Cripple switch-ins with Either Wisp Or Toxic or both of you choose to build it with both.

With Zygarde banned I’m not sure If Bug Z is needed all that much on Volc however i kept it as an option. However Psychium Z to break toxapex is neat. Firium Z is a straight nuke to anything that doesn’t resist volcarona aside from chansey which we have Mega Sableye for!!

I appreciate any builders who pick this project up
Thanks

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor

Hello, I'd like to request a Scolipede team with this set, but I think set free choice for builder is better, I want the team to be a HO or Offensive Cheese, it can be rain or whatever u like, I just want an ofensive team with Scolipede, set up for builder, I think Scolipede is a nice Hazzard user because speed boost and Endeavor is a dangerous force, specially this one because it can endeavor vs tornadus-t and kill after that, endeavor on almost all, Poison Jab as stab because it can hard damage Tapus, Clefable, and stuff and it works as suicuide lead vs offensive threats with Rocky Helmet, helping the offense to send a set up user or whatever u need to win.

As help, I tried to use it with Sharpedo Mega and worked incredible good, but the team I made is uncomplete, so, I request a team here better, thnx :]

+

Weavile + Medicham-Mega

Weavile @ Choice Band (scarf set can be OK)
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
-Thunder Punch/ Bullet Punch

Thought about this core earlier tonight and felt it would make for an interesting team. Weavile pressures offense and traps bulky psychics that Medcham struggles with. Medicham on the other hand breaks through common balance cores that wall Weavile. Both mons appreciate volt-turn support that safely brings either in to their respective checks.

Last edited:

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower/U-turn
- Roost

I really love Scizor because it's design is really awesome and in uu it was magnificent but I don't have much experience in ou so I would love a team with my fav gen 2 mon. I don't know alot about competitive play but I would be okay with any type of team. I would rather you used your own sets though. You could also change the set given.

Thanks in advance

Hi Builders,

Recently returned from a long hiatus and looking to get stuck into the game again, my teambuilding skills are a little (very) rusty and outdated so im pretty excited to see this thread again! Super hyped as well to see a viable tspikes setter in OU as its probably my favorite hazard/win condition rolled into one so hoping someone can assist and be interested in building a team around the core of

Toxapex and Reuniclus

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Knock Off

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Recover
- Psyshock

The sheer utility and bulk and win potential between just these two mons feels utterly insane. Its not something i've tried before but im pretty sure that double setup Reuni is a very dangerous sweeper able to break down most balance teams and combined with toxic spikes will be ridiculously good!

Thanks in advance!

Requesting Mega Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Alright, here's a mon that's actually ranked, sorry about that last post.

Mega Tyranitar has been a mon that I have always enjoyed using for its offencive power and huge sp.def with sandstorm. And with zygarde gone, that's just another problem it won't have to deal with. Any set is fine as well, not just the one listed.

Thanks in advance!

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower/U-turn
- Roost

I really love Scizor because it's design is really awesome and in uu it was magnificent but I don't have much experience in ou so I would love a team with my fav gen 2 mon. I don't know alot about competitive play but I would be okay with any type of team. I would rather you used your own sets though. You could also change the set given.

Thanks in advance

Mega-Scizor Volt-Turn Balance

Here is a balanced Mega-Scizor team. I started off with a mixed defensive set as SpD on Mega-Scizor is very good for opposing Mega-Alakazam & offensive Magearnas (who have basically ceased to run HP Fire) while the physical defense given can take two banded Sacred Swords from Kartana after Stealth Rock. SD turns Mega-Scizor into a win condition and this teams only set-up Pokemon. Defensive Scarf Landous-Therian offers you additional speed control as well as a Ground-type, Defog and further amplifies your pivoting capabilities. Toxapex works particularly well with Mega-Scizor since it is one of, if not the best Fire-resist in the tier. It also deals with a plethora of different threats such as opposing Mega-Scizor, Ash-Greninja etc. and is able to set Toxic Spikes which are very useful for a Volt-Turn team such as this one. Since the team ended up being quite weak to Reuniclus, I patched that up by running speed on Toxapex, allowing you to Haze Reuniclus and heal before it can attack you. Mew complements the defensive backbone very well, giving you a Psychic-resist for threats such as Mega-Medicham and even Tapu Lele to some extent. It also has access to Stealth Rock and its for a defensive Pokemon great speed allows you to take the initiative when dealing with threats, which is a welcome change from Toxapex more reactive way of solving problems. Earthquake is the attack of choice as both our Ground- and Water-types are rather weak to Heatran and it allows you to hit other problems such as Tapu Lele and Magearna for decent damage. It complements Will-O-Wisp rather well. Last but not least I decided to add an older core in Koko+Kyurem to capitalize on all the momentum you generate. The bolt-beaming duo has seen better days, however, Tapu Koko has risen in viability once again with the ban of Zygarde and Kyurem-Black, while only appearing in 3 SPL games, has won all of them. Together they are able to pressure most teams rather consistently (and your need to do so is why I chose to not go with the Z-move Kyurem-Black set, which performs a lot worse once you burn the z-move), offer good speed tiers and some needed defensive utility such as a Flying-resist.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Defog

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Hope you like it :)

Last edited:

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/
Tio Chico Sup homie, I got two versions of this squad for you. The first squad is built in terms of being more prepared for the current metagame while the second version of the squad is built to support SG Magearna in sweeping. S/o to Ske for editing the second one. I started with your core of Magearna + Heatran. I added Protean Greninja to provide spikes for the team as well as annoying checks to magearna and / or heatran. Lati acts as your obligatory tran check while also covering zam. added scarf lando for defog, speed control, electric immunity and ground immunity. amoongus on #1 covers waters, koko, kartana and mmawile. toxapex on #2 checks gren better & provides toxic spikes to further assist magearna in sweeping.
-----------------------------------------------------

Counting Sheep This Azu was prob my fav to build out of the batch. Prot Gren pairs rly well with Azu as it basically annoys the shit out of their "shared" checks. spikes is also great for azu. added chomper as it can provide rocks and further wear down azus checks with the use of toxic. magearna + zapdos was added to form a defense with chomper. magearna can check waters and also check lele and zam which is annoying for anything. Zapdos covers kartana and provides defog which supports our main offensive core. kartana in particular was rly annoying for the team. finally mega zam provides some speed control as well as a check for rain. you can probably end up fitting hp ice on zapdos for lando and chomp if you feel the need.

JTD783 This is a team I built right after zyg was banned and has proved to be fairly good. The core I used on this build was Char X + CM Split Mage, however it does contain the mons you wanted. Chomper was added to the original core as the sets im using in particular were really annoyed by heatran. ferrothorn is nice as a back up steel and checks waters like ash gren and electric like koko. twave ferro is nice bait for sweepers that normally set up on ferro and it really cripples their ability to perform a sweep. scarf lando was added as more speed control @ a defogger since char x rly hates hazards. Greninja than can clean up after char x has split a team in half.
~

Last edited by a moderator:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald / Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

I took a long break from OU and I lost all my teams, so I would like to take advantage of your service. I want to use Tapu Fini mainly, as I used to use it on a lot of my teams even though people just thought it was bad as fck back then. I just yoinked the updated spread, but if you have a different one you'd rather use then go for it. Seeing as Zard Y isn't B+ rank, I chose its counterpart to complete the core. Typing wise there is a lot of synergy here and it appreciates the Defog support while benefiting from the terrain to set-up and take weakened dragon attacks. Thank you in advance ^_^​

△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△
▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽

(click the sprites for the importable)
Aurella this is surely an interesting core, but I got to say, it's a bit odd to build around but I think overall I did a reasonable job. The first team is the very first version I made. The initial thought process was to complement the core with the defensive backbone of Magearna, Garchomp, and Tornadus-T and lastly, Choice Scarf Serperior was added for speed control and as a Water resist. And that's the main issue, Serperior is the water resist. That gives a pretty shaky matchup against rain and Ash-Greninja, but other than that the team is pretty solid.

In an attemp to fix the Ash-Greninja and rain matchup, I replaced Garchomp with Kommo-o. It still keeps the role of a Stealth Rocker while still being an Heatran switch-in and of course, switching into Ash-Greninja. Kommo-o also is somewhat of a win condition so that's always nice. To cover up the Kartana and Mega Lopunny weakness I added Zapdos. With Kommo-o on the team there was no longer need for Synthesis on Scarf Serperior so I gave it Defog to help Zapdos on that front. The obvious weakness of the second team is the lack of a Ground-type, which makes Volt Switch annoying to deal with, but it's still not that huge of a problem in most games after some testing so I think it's fine. So yeah, up to you to pick the version you like the most. Each has their pros and cons but they should both be fine. Hope you enjoy these teams!
Zapdos:

• Enough Speed for Modest Heatran;
  • Rest in physical bulk.
Kommo-o:

• Enough special bulk to avoid the 2HKO from Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump;
  • Enough Speed for Mega Alakazam;
  • Rest in special bulk.
Magearna:

• Enough Speed for Calm Mind Clefable;
  • Rest in special bulk.
Mega Medicham:

• Maximizes Speed and Attack.
Weavile:

• Maximizes Speed and Attack.
Serperior:

• Enough HP to avoid a 2HKO from Ash-Greninja's Hydro Pump prior to transformation after one round of Stealth Rock;
  • Rest in Speed and Special Attack.
Tornadus-Therian:

• Enough special bulk to avoid an OHKO from Protean Greninja's Ice Beam;
  • Rest in Speed and Special Attack.
Garchomp:

• Maximizes Speed and HP.

Last edited:

Of Course
▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽ ▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽

Yo Prisoner952! here's a Mega Tyranitar team i made that is one of my favorite teams atm, SD Flyinium-Z Landorus is also really solid atm, SD Gravity destroys fatter builds & Z-Fly can OHKO Pokemon such as Tangrowth which can help out Scarf Kartana in the back. The Mega Tyranitar set im running is Stealth Rock 3 attacks, With Superpower to hit Heatran & Ferrothorn with Ice Punch to snipe Garchomps & Gliscors which help Heatran out immensely, Taunt Tornadus helps us with Toxic Spikes Toxapex & helps vs bulker builds in general, this team is somewhat standard but its pretty solid imo & i hope you like it! :heart:

https://pokepast.es/f3331af6545d1e1b

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Just posting here so I get notified when people post. I have a deadline with uni work tomorrow but when that's handed in I'll check this thread for something that looks interesting. I can't wait to build, but more importantly I can't wait to share my music taste with you all.

On mobile so not posting sprites
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

The idea behind this is core is simple sd Gliscor is a good mon against bulkier teams since it can set up on defensive mons like pex without fear of getting burned however steel types not weak to ground are a problem for Gliscor magnezone traps those which helps sd Gliscor break opposing teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)