Project SM RU Weekly Research (Week 2, Omastar and Drapion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Op mostly taken with permission from Miyami
Approved by DTC
Hosted by Me

Somebody draw a banner

Hello everyone, welcome to RU research week, SuMo edition! In this project, participants research suggested Pokémon every week and share their experience. Whoever has the highest ladder score at the end of the week will be crowned the winner! Details below.

Keep the Following Things in mind during Research week:
- Be open-minded. Don't say something is terrible and walk away, look at its typing, movepool, and stats to come up with something.
- Feel free to theorymon in the early phase of the research week, but later you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, replays, maybe even teams.
- Just because an analysis has been created for a Pokémon doesn't mean there's not more to discover!
- Don't post in-thread complaining about which Pokémon or movesets I've chosen or suggesting ones for next week. You can VM / PM these suggestions, but I won't always listen to you.

A few things to clarify:
- You can sign up as late as you want, but the week will always end on Saturday.
- Early phase means the first three days of research week, so Theorymon is allowed during this period. Afterwards, during the late phase, please keep Theorymoning to a minimum. Discussion and raw evidence should be the basis of this thread during the late period.
- Discussion is mandatory to become the winner of research week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week.Please post about your experiences regardless of whether you think you've got a chance to win or not.

This Week's Selection

Omastar

Drapion

In order to participate you must do the following:

• (OPTIONAL)Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as RW Miyami or RW Espeonage)
    • and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be researching.
    • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
    • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
    • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
Hall of fame:
Week 1: Randomnick

Week 2 Deadline: Wednesday, August 10th at 5pm GMT+1

Last edited:
So this week I've decided to do the current s rank in NU, since both of those mons could be cool but are pretty unexplored

Sneasel
Sneasel was a top tier threat last gen, however, its usage is far lower this gen. This is most likely due to the existence of salaze and umbreon, as well as the general power creep. With that said, sneasel is still a cool Mon with the niche of excellent utility for an offensive mon, and being an excellent revenge killer for flygon, and could potentially be a solid Pokémon.

Cofagrirgus
Historically, cofag has been far better in higher tiers than in RU. With the advent of z-moves this gen, however, its OTR set has potentially received a huge buff, and it could just be a solid Pokémon.

Last edited:
Laddering with and researching Cofagrigus.
Alt: RW TR

Preliminary look: Cofag has a good movepool to work with, but it's best niche is being an OTR powerhouse. Even without TR, it can cripple some physical sweepers/wallbreakers like Heracross and Feraligatr to an extent with Mummy. Finally, it's Ghost typing makes it a perfect candidate to be a spinblocker with Spikes on your team.

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I will be choosing Cofagrigus
Alt: RW Just TR Nick

While stall can use something like Colbur or Z-Haze Cofa as a better answer to Hera, it's main merit right now is OTR, while it lack the initial power and a good coverage to hit Ghost-resists, need 2 turns to set up and have 4 turns to aboose TR, OTR with a Ghostium Z is a interessting set that offers a late-game cleaner and a spinblocker while also giving you a shaky check to Heracross.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
uh since there's a suspect might want to just make this week and next one on suspect ladder.

not too sure if i'll use either (although both are neat rn) but ill do so on blade so it doesnt count for this unfortunately!

This is really late but w/e

Congrats to Randomnick for winning this prolonged week!

This week will be Omastar and Drapion. The deadline will be the 10th of August (next Wednesday) at 5:00 GMT+1.

Alt: RW Pew-chan

Researching Omastar

Omastar is a good suicide lead that can, when ignored, deal heavy damage with its 115 Sp.Atk. It's really good against most Leads in the tier due to being a water type.

Omastar @ Waterium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Shell Smash
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam

Alt: RW eifo
This is Omastar's best, if not only usable set. Omastar sets up on a lot of passive mons, such as Regi or Umby for example. At +2 it outspeeds the entire tier barring scarfers and weather abusers. Weak Armor further boosts its speed if hit by a physical attack, meaning if you get the extra boost, nothing can stop you (barring prio and hydro misses). Modest is chosen over timid as it secures the kill with +2 hydro vortex after rocks vs mons such as Sdef Cress, Curse Lax and Umbreon. IB hits grasses and dragons. HP Elec is for Mantine and Milotic.

Last edited:

teachable

Banned deucer.
Alt: RW Omastarable

Omastar is an amazing suicide lead, especially when paired with the almighty Diglett / Servine core. Dual hazards, and threatens both defoggers with its amazing Ice Beam / HP Electric coverage.

Team I'll be using
Servine @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Tyrantrum @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Crunch
- X-Scissor

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Omastar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

Hoopa @ Lum Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

edit:
Review:
Omastar pulled its weight a lot, getting up all of its hazards against common ladder hazard leads like Bronzong or Registeel. Diglett paired nicely as it allowed me to place my opponents running Electric-types, especially choice locked ones such as Heliolisk (another ladder favorite), into a dilemna: Do I risk the Electric move, and get trapped, to deny this Omastar multiple layers of spikes? Weak armor also forces my opponents to lead a special attacker or priority user to shut down the potential 2 layers of spikes, which allows me to play around their telegraphed play e.g. saving Omastar and going Servine to kill a Doublade using Shadow Sneak.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-623119141 - Omastar gets hazards up, weakening Golisopod for a Servine sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-623106189 - Omastar gets its hazards up, weakening Chesnaught and friends enough for anyone to sweep.
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7ru-623117678 - Omastar gets all 4 layers up, even after being Tricked a choice scarf.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-623122150 - Opponent TBolts Omastar, I go Diglett after and trap a Choice locked Gardevoir.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-623123752 - Omastar gets up rocks and then provides me with the crucial information that Salazzle is HP Grass, so I know it is setup fodder for Tyrantrum.

Last edited:
2for6 superstars (Omastar) @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance

Roserade @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Bronzong @ Occa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Comfey @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Triage
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Synthesis
- Taunt

dead thread but here's a team I made w/ the Omastar set eifo posted, Omastar as the primary setup with Pangoro to break open Steel - Types in order to help it sweep. Gligar defogs hazards and provides Omastar with Ground safety and safe pivoting. Scarf Rade lets me revenge kill +1 DD Fera, lure faster Pokemon in with either attacks or Sleep, and take out or chip bulky Waters to help Omastar. Occa Zonger provides Rocks, blanket checks Fairies and Flygon, and provides a backup lure check to +2 Salazzle bc otherwise it shits on this team should a Sleep Powder fail. Comfey checks Darks/Fightings and is a cleanup sweeper, as this team should be taking down Steel - Types with Pangoro + Omastar since things like Regi and Zonger want to come into Omastar and try to check it only to die. post some feedback if u every get around trying it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)