SM UU SM UU Double Regenerator Balance

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi, folks of RMT!

Earlier this year, I built a team centered around the defensive Pokemon of UU. I posted said team in the UU chat on Showdown to get feedback, made some changes based on it, played with the team, and made some changes based on what I experienced. Now, I'm posting it here in the hopes that this team can be further improved.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 4 SpA / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Defog
- Synthesis

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Block
- Toxic
- Rest

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Teambuilding Process:

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Toxic

I started off with Aggron-Mega as the Stealth Rocker of the team and general strong defensive check to the three main threats of the tier (Scizor, Mega-Altaria, and Latias). The set is standard SpDef Aggron-Mega to improve chances against Latias. Heavy Slam and Fire Punch cover the three mentioned threats. Stealth Rock is a pretty solid option since Aggron-Mega forces quite a few switches. Toxic to catch Rotom-Heat, a mon that easily switches in on the posted set, on the switch and put it on a timer. Toxic also helps out with the bulky Waters of the tier, such as Slowbro, Slowking, and Suicune, along with putting mons that don't take much from Heavy Slam (Haxorus mainly) on a timer.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Block
- Toxic
- Rest

Because of Aggron's defensive set, it struggles to break past walls that aren't affected by Toxic. Additionally, most variants of Terrakion are difficult to deal with due to Heavy Slam being low BP. As sort of a soft check to both of those, I put TrapperBro as the next Pokemon. EVs are max PhysDef to improve Terrakion matchup. Scald is the main stab, Block traps a mon, Toxic toxics said mon, and Rest provides longevity so that opposing Pokemons Toxics don't force Slowbro to eventually switch out.

Aggron fears staying in on Blissey, Gligar, Alolomola, Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Steelix-Mega as they will eventually wear down Aggron long before it can KO back, or cripple it with status. BlockBro switches into all of these mons easily, trap most variants of the above, and wear them down with Toxic. As for being a soft defensive check to Terrakion, as long as Terrakion doesn't use its Z at +2, Slowbro should be able to live most attacks, even factoring in hazards, and threaten with heavy damage and a potential burn with Scald.

+2 252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 220-259 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 38 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

While Aggron-Mega checks Scizor, Latias, and Mega-Altaria individually, it might not be able to handle two or all three of them in one battle. Additionally, SD Scizor can pretty freely U-Turn after SDing on the Aggron-Mega switch, so I inserted Rocky Helmet Amoonguss as the next mon to dissuade pivoting. Spore is a great move, disabling very threatening Pokemon that commonly switch into Amoonguss (Latias, Togekiss, Infernape). Clear Smog prevents and dissuades Mega-Altaria from staying in and setting up, as well as making the opponent think twice before switching in Togekiss. The posted set can't touch Scizor if another mon is already Spored, so HP Fire is its way of dealing damage.

Slowbro + Amoonguss forms a Double Regenerator core that can PP stall both CroCune and VinCune, which the team struggles with, as well as giving a lot of room to pivot.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 4 SpA / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Defog
- Synthesis

Relatively satisfied with my Mega-Altaria and Scizor matchup, I looked for a mon that could help out with the BoltBeam Latias matchup. Florges achieves this to an extent, while also being a Defogger and a Wish-passer, which Aggron appreciates, and the team's resident Fairy-type for Hydreigon. Moonblast does a fairly hefty chunk to Latias, forcing it to Roost/Recover and Calm Mind if it wants to stay in. Wish and Defog fulfill its roles of hazard removal and Cleric. Synthesis serves as immediate recovery. The Florges is EV'd to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt.

Latias @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

With four rather defensive mons covering the defensive bases, I decided to look for an offensive sweeper to round out the team. I decided on CM Drag-Z Latias. With its great typing, it has a lot of natural resists that allow it to setup on a variety of mons. Boosted Z-Draco takes out a lot of checks, Roost gives it longevity. Psyshock for Calm Mind wars.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Choice Scarf Krookodile rounds out this team as its form of speed control. Mega-Manectric, Mega-Beedrill, and Mega-Aerodactyl are all apprehensive of Scarf Krook, along with the 50/50s that it forces with Pursuit. Knock Off softens up Band Scizors and walls with Leftovers. Stone Edge hits Togekiss on the switch for the 2HKO. Intimidate helps with pivoting in on Physical Attackers.

I'm generally able to get good results with this team. I used it to get reqs almost entirely for the Mega-Altaria and Mimikyu suspects and I ladder up to 1650s. However, I've noticed that Crawdaunt, Bisharp, and Offensive SD Scizor are problematic. What changes would you suggest to improve this team?

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hi Wigglytuff this is a pretty solid team you have here tbh, good job!

Other than the threats you mentioned however, I felt that Moltres definitely deserved a mention, as it is a huge threat to your team in it's current state, as no pokemon can safely swap into it (apart from Latias once Moltres has burned it's z-move). In the same vein, Nidoqueen (and king) could be serious issues when given free swap ins too, as they you have no safe swap ins to them at all.

I also felt that the BoltBeam Latias matchup could be improved, as Krookodile does not have Crunc, meaning 50/50s while it also can't swap in directly into ice beam happily, and Florges can only beat it via Crits once it starts Calm Minding. This could have been helped with a 16 Modest Sylveon however, but Florges was unfortunately the Hazard control for your team.

I also felt that the lack of Heal bell on the team was potentially problematic, as Aggron and Krookodile are heavily reliant on not being burnt to check the things they check, and both Florges and Latias do not appreciate being toxic'd, while Slowbro would appreciate the potential early wakes.

The first change I would recommend, would be to change Aggron to Steelix. On these sort of Mega Steel + Double Unaware teams, Steelix is usually an easier fit to work with, as firstly it provides a much better Latias matchup, and secondly allows you the freedom to not have to fit a Ground type in your last 3 pokemon.

Major Change:

:aggron-mega: -> :steelix-mega:

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Curse

Standard Mega Steelix set really. Deals with Latias much better than Aggron did, except for the odd Specs Surf. Standard offensive EV spread, allowing you to OHKO Latias and Hydreigon after rocks with Gyro Ball.

I now wanted to make use of some of that extra freedom that Steelix provided to allow for a better Moltres matchup. In my next change, I recommend changing Florges to Blissey, which still acts as a strong generic special wall, but massively improves your matchup vs the Nidos and Moltres, thanks to not having a fairy typing, and having toxic respectively. It can also pass much fatter wishes, allowing you to heal up Steelix more efficiently. It also takes a lot of pressure off of amoongus to check Primarina, allowing it to focus more on pokemon such as Altaria, Mega Beedrill and CB Scizor instead.

Major Change:

:florges: -> :blissey:

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Standard Wish passing Blissey set, with toxic to help cripple pokemon such as Moltres and Latias, and other pokemon attempting to swap in and take advantage of it. Soft boiled is chosen over protect as it gives you single turn recovery and prevents you being beaten by phazers such as Hippowdon and Empoleon.

I now no longer needed Krookodile as we already had a ground type, and the Latias matchup was pretty covered between Blissey and Steelix. The Celebi matchup could use some work, but Latias covers it reasonably fine as long as you don't get it Pursuit trapped, but Krookodile didn't help too much here unless Celebi was chipped significantly. We also still needed a Defogger at this point. The last change I would recommend would be a Scarf Togekiss here, as it can pack utility moves such as Defog and Heal Bell for your team, while serving as an answer to Taunt Hydreigon.

Major Change:

:krookodile: -> :togekiss:

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Trick
- Heal Bell / Roost

Scarf Togekiss rounded off the team nicely by providing Speed Control that had Defog and could check Taunt Hydreigon well. Trick allows togekiss to potentially also do some damage to bulkier teams and stall teams, especially in matchups where blockbro might not be enough on it's own. Heal Bell and Roost are both options in the last slot, as in your previous team you didn't have Heal bell support, and you now also have Blissey serving as a status sponge with natural cure, but Heal bell is an option if you would prefer it and are happy to rely on blissey healing togekiss back up instead. A bulkier EV spread can also be ran if you want to check pokemon such as Taunt Hydreigon better, at the cost of your damage output.

At this point I only made one slight change to the remaining sets.

Minor Change:

:amoonguss: - At this point it felt very unecessary to have Clear Smog on amoongus, as being able to punish Celebi swap ins with Sludge bomb was much more valuable, which also let it deal with Altaria much better, as Altaria can PP stall clear smog variants in the right circumstances. You already beat suicune with Latias anyway. If the potential for Latias to be pursuit trapped bothers you however, you could run Clear smog instead to steal deal with suicune in these situations however.

New Version of Team

:sm/steelix-mega: :sm/amoonguss: :sm/slowbro: :sm/togekiss: :sm/latias: :sm/blissey:
Overall in the new version, the Moltres, Nidoqueen and Latias matchups have been significantly improved. With fatter wishes being passed to Steelix, and Amoongus being freed from checking Primarina, the Scizor matchup should hopefully be better for you too, as you mentioned in your post. Steelix and Amoongus together should also be able to deal with Bisharp decently well for you. The Crawdaunt matchup was difficult to patch-up unfortunately without further changes to your team such as replacing Latias with a Defog Hydreigon (and freeing up Togekiss's movepool) however, which would go beyond the 3 pokemon change limit.

Hope you enjoy the suggested changes!

Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Curse

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Block
- Toxic
- Rest

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Trick
- Heal Bell / Roost

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Last edited:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hola señor, this team has a defog Florges so I have come out of my rating hibernation for this. Fat balances are pretty rare these days as HO/BO p much dominate this tier, not to say this archetype doesn't work because ofc it does. But yeah the main thing with this is the defog Florges existing and the lack of any real solid check to SD Scizor, also the fat mu p much relying entirely on block bro. Not to mention normal bro has seen quite a lot of loss in popularity recently because it's just so vastly inferior to it's mega, it's underwhelming and probably won't be doing what you want it to do much of the time very reliably. I came up with something I really like to an extent where I'm kinda scared there's something obviously wrong with it that I'm just missing LOL.

- So the first thing I did was go Mew > Slowbro + Lati, Defog Mew to be exact. This is pretty cool because Mew takes quite a load off Aggron's back as it burns a lot of things we'd be relying on agg to check while also providing hazard removal support and just general utility. It frees up the fairy slot to be something different as well.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

- So Togekiss > Florges was the next thing I did. I think Wish is amazing with Aggron for obvious reasons but we needa make up for getting rid of bro in terms of the fat matchup. Willowisp Mew + Amoonguss being able to cover for Aggron a lot of the time in what you need Agg for is good enough to not rlly need Wish support. So I went with Fightinium Z Togekiss as it works great with Pursuit support and helps the stall mu out a lot. Also in unison with willo mew, the team handles physical darks quite well with this. The spread OHKOs max hp Scizor at +2.
Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 184 HP / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

- In this free slot I ran with Crocune. A lot of teams that don't have a dragon type or Blissey end up losing to a lot of like water breakers n shit like that, Volcanion being the best example by far, and I knew I wasn't gonna fit anything like that here as the main thing I wanted was a Scizor check. I wanted a fat water type the most b/c you can never go wrong with water types u_u, but really because the team needs more outs vs nape and Scizor at the same time. Crocune I think is the best water at checking Scizor while it also helps that problem vs shit like Volcanion cause it just sits on them w/ Pressure and CM lmao.
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Again I might be missing something blatantly obvious but I think this is okay and p good. Sorry for getting rid of the whole "double regen" thing but idt brodie was doin too much there. I hope you try it out and lmk how it is >:D.

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hola señor, this team has a defog Florges so I have come out of my rating hibernation for this. Fat balances are pretty rare these days as HO/BO p much dominate this tier, not to say this archetype doesn't work because ofc it does. But yeah the main thing with this is the defog Florges existing and the lack of any real solid check to SD Scizor, also the fat mu p much relying entirely on block bro. Not to mention normal bro has seen quite a lot of loss in popularity recently because it's just so vastly inferior to it's mega, it's underwhelming and probably won't be doing what you want it to do much of the time very reliably. I came up with something I really like to an extent where I'm kinda scared there's something obviously wrong with it that I'm just missing LOL.

- So the first thing I did was go Mew > Slowbro + Lati, Defog Mew to be exact. This is pretty cool because Mew takes quite a load off Aggron's back as it burns a lot of things we'd be relying on agg to check while also providing hazard removal support and just general utility. It frees up the fairy slot to be something different as well.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

- So Togekiss > Florges was the next thing I did. I think Wish is amazing with Aggron for obvious reasons but we needa make up for getting rid of bro in terms of the fat matchup. Willowisp Mew + Amoonguss being able to cover for Aggron a lot of the time in what you need Agg for is good enough to not rlly need Wish support. So I went with Fightinium Z Togekiss as it works great with Pursuit support and helps the stall mu out a lot. Also in unison with willo mew, the team handles physical darks quite well with this. The spread OHKOs max hp Scizor at +2.
Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 184 HP / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

- In this free slot I ran with Crocune. A lot of teams that don't have a dragon type or Blissey end up losing to a lot of like water breakers n shit like that, Volcanion being the best example by far, and I knew I wasn't gonna fit anything like that here as the main thing I wanted was a Scizor check. I wanted a fat water type the most b/c you can never go wrong with water types u_u, but really because the team needs more outs vs nape and Scizor at the same time. Crocune I think is the best water at checking Scizor while it also helps that problem vs shit like Volcanion cause it just sits on them w/ Pressure and CM lmao.
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Again I might be missing something blatantly obvious but I think this is okay and p good. Sorry for getting rid of the whole "double regen" thing but idt brodie was doin too much there. I hope you try it out and lmk how it is >:D.
Hi Wigglytuff this is a pretty solid team you have here tbh, good job!

Other than the threats you mentioned however, I felt that Moltres definitely deserved a mention, as it is a huge threat to your team in it's current state, as no pokemon can safely swap into it (apart from Latias once Moltres has burned it's z-move). In the same vein, Nidoqueen (and king) could be serious issues when given free swap ins too, as they you have no safe swap ins to them at all.

I also felt that the BoltBeam Latias matchup could be improved, as Krookodile does not have Crunc, meaning 50/50s while it also can't swap in directly into ice beam happily, and Florges can only beat it via Crits once it starts Calm Minding. This could have been helped with a 16 Modest Sylveon however, but Florges was unfortunately the Hazard control for your team.

I also felt that the lack of Heal bell on the team was potentially problematic, as Aggron and Krookodile are heavily reliant on not being burnt to check the things they check, and both Florges and Latias do not appreciate being toxic'd, while Slowbro would appreciate the potential early wakes.

The first change I would recommend, would be to change Aggron to Steelix. On these sort of Mega Steel + Double Unaware teams, Steelix is usually an easier fit to work with, as firstly it provides a much better Latias matchup, and secondly allows you the freedom to not have to fit a Ground type in your last 3 pokemon.

Major Change:

:aggron-mega: -> :steelix-mega:

Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Curse

Standard Mega Steelix set really. Deals with Latias much better than Aggron did, except for the odd Specs Surf. Standard offensive EV spread, allowing you to OHKO Latias and Hydreigon after rocks with Gyro Ball.

I now wanted to make use of some of that extra freedom that Steelix provided to allow for a better Moltres matchup. In my next change, I recommend changing Florges to Blissey, which still acts as a strong generic special wall, but massively improves your matchup vs the Nidos and Moltres, thanks to not having a fairy typing, and having toxic respectively. It can also pass much fatter wishes, allowing you to heal up Steelix more efficiently. It also takes a lot of pressure off of amoongus to check Primarina, allowing it to focus more on pokemon such as Altaria, Mega Beedrill and CB Scizor instead.

Major Change:

:florges: -> :blissey:

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Standard Wish passing Blissey set, with toxic to help cripple pokemon such as Moltres and Latias, and other pokemon attempting to swap in and take advantage of it. Soft boiled is chosen over protect as it gives you single turn recovery and prevents you being beaten by phazers such as Hippowdon and Empoleon.

I now no longer needed Krookodile as we already had a ground type, and the Latias matchup was pretty covered between Blissey and Steelix. The Celebi matchup could use some work, but Latias covers it reasonably fine as long as you don't get it Pursuit trapped, but Krookodile didn't help too much here unless Celebi was chipped significantly. We also still needed a Defogger at this point. The last change I would recommend would be a Scarf Togekiss here, as it can pack utility moves such as Defog and Heal Bell for your team, while serving as an answer to Taunt Hydreigon.

Major Change:

:krookodile: -> :togekiss:

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Trick
- Heal Bell / Roost

Scarf Togekiss rounded off the team nicely by providing Speed Control that had Defog and could check Taunt Hydreigon well. Trick allows togekiss to potentially also do some damage to bulkier teams and stall teams, especially in matchups where blockbro might not be enough on it's own. Heal Bell and Roost are both options in the last slot, as in your previous team you didn't have Heal bell support, and you now also have Blissey serving as a status sponge with natural cure, but Heal bell is an option if you would prefer it and are happy to rely on blissey healing togekiss back up instead. A bulkier EV spread can also be ran if you want to check pokemon such as Taunt Hydreigon better, at the cost of your damage output.

At this point I only made one slight change to the remaining sets.

Minor Change:

:amoonguss: - At this point it felt very unecessary to have Clear Smog on amoongus, as being able to punish Celebi swap ins with Sludge bomb was much more valuable, which also let it deal with Altaria much better, as Altaria can PP stall clear smog variants in the right circumstances. You already beat suicune with Latias anyway. If the potential for Latias to be pursuit trapped bothers you however, you could run Clear smog instead to steal deal with suicune in these situations however.

New Version of Team

:sm/steelix-mega: :sm/amoonguss: :sm/slowbro: :sm/togekiss: :sm/latias: :sm/blissey:
Overall in the new version, the Moltres, Nidoqueen and Latias matchups have been significantly improved. With fatter wishes being passed to Steelix, and Amoongus being freed from checking Primarina, the Scizor matchup should hopefully be better for you too, as you mentioned in your post. Steelix and Amoongus together should also be able to deal with Bisharp decently well for you. The Crawdaunt matchup was difficult to patch-up unfortunately without further changes to your team such as replacing Latias with a Defog Hydreigon (and freeing up Togekiss's movepool) however, which would go beyond the 3 pokemon change limit.

Hope you enjoy the suggested changes!

Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Curse

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Block
- Toxic
- Rest

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Trick
- Heal Bell / Roost

Latias (F) @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Thanks for the teams guys, I'll try em out and let you know what I think!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)