Smeargle (done)

wyc2333

A=X+Y+Z Y: Hard Work
[OVERVIEW]
Smeargle learns almost every move, so it is dangerous through its unpredictability. In particular, there is no way to know what a lead Smeargle is going to do for sure. It has access to Spore, a reliable sleeping move that no other viable Pokemon can use, and with access to Baton Pass and Spikes alongside Spore, it can do a solid job of supporting an offensive team. However, the fact that Smeargle is slower than many common leads and can't take many attacks restricts its viability. In addition, its user has to make key predictions around the timing of its use of moves like Spore, and choosing the wrong move or the wrong turn to use a specific move will typically result in Smeargle becoming fodder. Straying from the sets outlined in this analysis may be a wise choice, because while they are effective, people will expect them, and one of Smeargle's most valuable traits is its unpredictability.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Spore
move 2: Agility
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Substitute / Spikes / Encore / Destiny Bond
item: Miracle Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is used to set up dangerous setup sweepers or other Baton Pass users with Speed boosts. Smeargle is the only Baton Pass user that can always pass a boost even if an opponent has two phazers, assuming you get it in versus a non-phazer, which makes it a staple Pokemon for basically all teams centered around Baton Pass. For example, if you have it in against an opposing Snorlax, you can use Agility, and if their phazer is switched in, you can use Spore and then Baton Pass on the next turn.

When it comes to the last slot, Substitute blocks status from Pokemon such as Exeggutor once Miracle Berry is used, scouts Explosion from opposing Pokemon such as Forretress, exploits the low accuracy of Thunder, and gives a teammate a free turn to set up. Spikes secures many relevant OHKOs, most importantly +6 Snorlax's Mega Kick or Double-Edge versus Cloyster and Suicune. Although it's risky to switch Smeargle into a Pokemon such as Snorlax, Vaporeon, or Quagsire as they set up, if you succeed, you can lock them in with Encore and gain momentum. Encore can also lock Pokemon such as Skarmory into Rest. Destiny Bond has some potential to take something out with Smeargle, especially after Agility is used. Miracle Berry deals with status, especially sleep and paralysis, which can be problematic for Agility + Baton Pass teams.

Team Options
========
Slow wallbreakers such as Marowak, Belly Drum Snorlax, Meditate Machamp, and the uncommon Quagsire appreciate boosts from Smeargle's Agility. Marowak can threaten phazers such as Raikou, Tyranitar, and Golem, handle Explosion users such as Gengar with Earthquake, use Rock Slide to score flinches against checks like Skarmory after getting Speed boosts from Smeargle, and take Electric-type attacks from Sleep Talk variants of Zapdos and Raikou that are common switch-ins to Spore from Smeargle. Belly Drum Snorlax can use Lovely Kiss to get a free turn to set up. Machamp is helpful in breaking CurseLax.

Scizor can deal with Explosion Exeggutor with Hidden Power Bug. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fighting can be used for pressuring phazers like Tyranitar and Houndoom, doing more to Steel-types than Hidden Power Bug, and threatening the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU, Snorlax, whose Sleep Talk + Curse set is very threatening for most Baton Pass teams. Furthermore, it can also handle some variants of Forretress, whose Explosion can be annoying for Agility receivers. Jolteon forces phazers such as Skarmory and Suicune out, making it an essential teammate for maintaining Baton Pass chains. Thanks to Confuse Ray, Mean Look, and Baton Pass, Umbreon can be frustrating for phazers. With Sand Attack, it can also be an emergency option for setup attackers. Smeargle can also put Pokemon that Umbreon has trapped to sleep, which leaves the foe helpless unless they have Sleep Talk.

[SET]
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Spore
move 3: Present / Mirror Coat / Encore
move 4: Sacred Fire / Destiny Bond / Encore

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set acts as a Spiker. The threat of Spore limits Pokemon that can safely switch into Smeargle and forces switches, and if landed on the right target, it can swing a game in your favor. Present and Sacred Fire are primarily used for the purpose of preventing spinners from keeping Smeargle's Spikes off the field; the former can do enormous amounts of damage to Cloyster and Starmie, while the latter is a reliable Fire-type attack for Forretress and threatens to burn Golem. Also, phazers might come in and get crippled if they fear the Baton Pass set; Present is for Raikou and Suicune, while Sacred Fire hits Skarmory and Steelix super effectively and can burn Rock-types such as Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydon. Mirror Coat OHKOes special attackers such as Zapdos, and with Destiny Bond, Smeargle can attempt to score a one-for-two trade, though many people will expect these moves on Spikes Smeargle sets. In addition, a player should remember that Mirror Coat will always fail against Hidden Power and moves used via Sleep Talk. Furthermore, lowering Special Defense EVs to get some Mirror Coat OHKO benchmarks is a viable strategy. For example, limiting Smeargle to 200 Special Defense EVs ensures that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou if it uses Thunderbolt. However, lowering your Special Defense would also lower your Special Attack, so despite Smeargle primarily using Sacred Fire for the burn chance, the fact that Sacred Fire's damage output would be reduced means this EV reduction strategy is not without drawbacks.

This set competes with Cloyster for the Spiker slot on offensive teams, and generally speaking, Cloyster is a more viable choice. Offensively, its STAB Surf does decent damage to most Pokemon that resist Explosion. Defensively, its considerable physical bulk allows it to switch in on Ground-types such as Steelix and Marowak. Smeargle's advantages over Cloyster mainly come down to Spore and surprise value.

Team Options
========
Since Smeargle is frail, it fits on fast-paced teams. Phazers with offensive presence such as Zapdos, Raikou, and Rhydon can exploit Spikes support from Smeargle. Thief users like Jynx help Spikes wear down an opposing team more quickly. Present can surprise Cloyster, Raikou, and Exeggutor so that attackers such as Vaporeon can shine. If Mirror Coat is used to surprise Pokemon such as Zapdos, attackers such as Machamp and Exeggutor will appreciate it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Rapid Spin, which needs Pursuit support for Ghost-types, can be frustrating for an opposing Spiker to deal with when they can't safely come in because of Spore and the fourth move that could be Present for Cloyster or Sacred Fire for Forretress, but coverage is lost, and it can be hard to switch Smeargle in safely. Perish Song pairs well with Spider Web and Destiny Bond. Thunder Wave cripples Sleep Talk users, especially Zapdos and Raikou. Super Fang does decent damage to every Pokemon bar Ghost-types, but RestTalk users aren't bothered by it much. A TrapPass set with Spider Web and Baton Pass can try to trap basically anything that switches into it, and Smeargle can use the combination of Protect and Disable to block phazing attempts. It should be noted that trapping moves are illegal on the same set as sleep moves, so Smeargle can't use Spore with Spider Web. Thanks to Leftovers, Recover could give Smeargle another shot at pulling off a TrapPass or passing defensive boosts, which is most likely to be found in a Baton Pass chain, but it is too fragile to take attacks except something like Surf from Cloyster or Pursuit from Umbreon. Counter allows Smeargle to threaten physical attackers that target its awful bulk, and lowering Defense EVs to get some Counter OHKO benchmarks is a viable option. For example, limiting Smeargle to 216 Defense EVs ensures that Counter will OHKO Snorlax if it uses Double-Edge. Thief can be used in a spare slot to steal the foe's item, which will typically deprive them of Leftovers's passive recovery for the remainder of a game.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Any Attacking Move**: Any reasonably powerful attack will deal plenty of damage to Smeargle, but one should be wary of moves such as Mirror Coat and Destiny Bond.

**Haze and Phaze**: Baton Pass chains can be stopped by Haze, Whirlwind, Roar, or Perish Song, but Smeargle has Spore to prevent these moves from being used.

**Explosion**: Explosion threatens Baton Pass chains, but Smeargle has Spore and Substitute to solve this problem.

**Fast Thief + Lovely Kiss**: Although Smeargle usually has Miracle Berry, Nidoking and Jynx can use Thief against Smeargle to block Spore and threaten Smeargle teams, especially Baton Pass ones, with Lovely Kiss.

**Sleep Talk**: With Sleep Talk, Pokemon can absorb Spore so that they won't be taken advantage of by Smeargle teams. However, if a switch to a Sleep Talk user is anticipated, Smeargle can use a move like Agility, Substitute, or Baton Pass as they switch in to maintain momentum.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[wyc2333, 336830]]
- Quality checked by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Put one of the opponent's Pokemon to sleep by Spore, set up Agility, and run Baton Pass to a teammate, but since a phazer is likely to switched in after Spore is used, prediction can be made.
It should be noted that Smeargle is the only BPer that can ensure to pass a boost even if the opponent has two phazers, assuming you get it in vs a non phazer. E.g. if you have it in vs an opposing Snorlax, you can use Agility and if they switch to their phazer, you can use Spore and then BP on the next turn.
You mainly mentioned Spore first, then Agility when in reality it's usually the other way around to prevent getting phazed.
Although it's risky to switch Smeargle into a Pokemon setting up like Snorlax, Vaporeon, and Quagsire, if you succeed, you can lock it and gain momentum. It can also lock Pokemon such as Skarmory into Rest.
Minor but add "If it has Encore"
Scizor deals with Explosion Exeggutor with Hidden Power Bug or Roar Steelix with Hidden Power Fighting.
Unboosted HpFighting only does little damage to Steelix. It's mainly for Tyranitar and Houndoom while at least doing more to Steels than HpBug. Mention that HpFigting is also good for threatening Snorlax since especially Sleep Talk Curse variants are very threatening for most Bp teams.

I would mention Meditate Machamp as good Agility recipient (also very helpful in breaking Sleep Talk CurseLax).
Also the less relevant Quagsire but mention that it's not as common.

Present and Sacred Fire are for spinners
I would speak about the phazers first. Usually people are more concerned about BP variants so will check for it by switching to their phazer after getting spored. Also the Spinners generally don't like switching into Spore while it would be more expected to e.g. stay in and click Roar with Raikou turn 1 as middle ground play (you risk Mirror Coat if you attack with Thunder/-bolt, you risk Agility if you switch to your Sleep Talker).
Theoretically, combined with Destiny Bond, Smeargle will score a one-for-two trade.
Many people will expect Destiny Bond on Spikes Smeargle sets (I consider Spore, Spikes, M-Coat, D-Bond the old Spikes standard set). I would just rephrase it a bit e.g. " with Destiny Bond, Smeargle can attempt to score a one-for-two trade" or just add "sometimes" in your intial sentence and remove the "Theoretically" (minor nitpicking though).
Maybe it could be worth mentioning that Mirror Coat will always fail against moves used via Sleep Talk but it is not necessary to add that.
Perish Song fits on stall teams which don't have an answer to last setup Pokemon like Snorlax and Vaporeon.
I am unsure about this. It implies that Smeargle can be used on stall teams which it usually is not. And besides that it would also be necessary to keep Smeargle around until the endgame. I think it's fine to include it but I would emphasize more that it's usually not played like that.
I'd add that there are many more options to get creative with Smeargle and that some moves that one could consider are: Heal Bell, Counter, Thief (not saying they are great but definitely options to think about).
I have also seen Baton Pass, Protect, Disable, Spider Web which might be worth mentioning in OOs, too.

i think heal bell fits on stall teams bc there are a lot of mons with rest, where Smeargle is rarely seen.
Even though defensive teams appreciate Heal Bell support, they generally don't want to have such a frail Spiker as Smeargle since keeping Spikes on the opponents side is often one of their main win paths. Since I have never seen someone actually make use of Heal Bell Smeargle, I myself would just list it without any explanation. Since it can have almost every move, there are many ways to get creative with it and I think listing a few options to consider would be nice. I would add something along the lines of what I bolded above in OO.
Smeargle's mediocre Speed
Its speed is not as bad. It is faster than Cloyster and Forretress, as well as all the normal resistent phazers in Golem, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Rhydon and Steelix and since the opponent will also have a Lax, that usually makes Smeargle faster than at least 3 of the opponent's mons.
From the pokemon currently listed as OU in the teambuilder, it's faster than 14 and slower than 10.
However, most common leads are faster than it (both electrics, Nido, Jynx; Lax, Eggy and the spikers are slower (even though I only listed 4 faster leads, they are really common ones)).
Maybe just say "being slower than many common leads" instead or something like that.
Substitute blocks status from Pokemon such as Umbreon
I think Umbreon is not the best example. This is the BP set and Umbreon is pretty helpless against that. Smeargle doesn't care about Toxic, it would care about Charm but that just gives you the opportunity to pass to a Belly Drum Snorlax. And in the current metagame, most Umbreon are using RestTalk (or Mean Look which isn't a huge threat to BP teams).
Maybe use Exeggutor as an example instead (would even server for both, the status and the Explosion example).
A TrapPass set with Baton Pass and Spider Web can be considered for Sleep Talk users such as Zapdos and Snorlax because at full health, Smeargle can take most of hits that are not super effective against it.
Not sure about this. This Smeargle set can't stay in vs Zapdos in a 1v1 because it would get 2HKO'd (unless you want to gamble on Thunder missing, assuming it doesn't run TBolt). However, I do see the merit of the argument in the sense of "Zapdos switching into Smeargle trying to get it in on a Spore turn" but overall I don't think Sleep Talkers as checks need to be mentioned in this context. This Smeargle can try to trap basically anything that switches into it, unless it's a phazer and you don't manage to get the Disable on the phazing move.

Mention that lowering your special defense or defense to get some OHKO Mirror Coat or Counter benchmarks can be done.
Some examples:
216 Sp.Def EVs to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou should it use Thunderbolt UNLESS it gets the single lowest damage roll possible.
200 Sp.Def EVs to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou should it use Thunderbolt.
216 Defense EVs ensure that Counter will OHKO Snorlax should it use Double-Edge.

wyc2333

Even though defensive teams appreciate Heal Bell support, they generally don't want to have such a frail Spiker as Smeargle since keeping Spikes on the opponents side is often one of their main win paths. Since I have never seen someone actually make use of Heal Bell Smeargle, I myself would just list it without any explanation. Since it can have almost every move, there are many ways to get creative with it and I think listing a few options to consider would be nice. I would add something along the lines of what I bolded above in OO.

Its speed is not as bad. It is faster than Cloyster and Forretress, as well as all the normal resistent phazers in Golem, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Rhydon and Steelix and since the opponent will also have a Lax, that usually makes Smeargle faster than at least 3 of the opponent's mons.
From the pokemon currently listed as OU in the teambuilder, it's faster than 14 and slower than 10.
However, most common leads are faster than it (both electrics, Nido, Jynx; Lax, Eggy and the spikers are slower (even though I only listed 4 faster leads, they are really common ones)).
Maybe just say "being slower than many common leads" instead or something like that.

I think Umbreon is not the best example. This is the BP set and Umbreon is pretty helpless against that. Smeargle doesn't care about Toxic, it would care about Charm but that just gives you the opportunity to pass to a Belly Drum Snorlax. And in the current metagame, most Umbreon are using RestTalk (or Mean Look which isn't a huge threat to BP teams).
Maybe use Exeggutor as an example instead (would even server for both, the status and the Explosion example).

Not sure about this. This Smeargle set can't stay in vs Zapdos in a 1v1 because it would get 2HKO'd (unless you want to gamble on Thunder missing, assuming it doesn't run TBolt). However, I do see the merit of the argument in the sense of "Zapdos switching into Smeargle trying to get it in on a Spore turn" but overall I don't think Sleep Talkers as checks need to be mentioned in this context. This Smeargle can try to trap basically anything that switches into it, unless it's a phazer and you don't manage to get the Disable on the phazing move.

Mention that lowering your special defense or defense to get some OHKO Mirror Coat or Counter benchmarks can be done.
Some examples:
216 Sp.Def EVs to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou should it use Thunderbolt UNLESS it gets the single lowest damage roll possible.
200 Sp.Def EVs to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou should it use Thunderbolt.
216 Defense EVs ensure that Counter will OHKO Snorlax should it use Double-Edge.
implemented. care to review it again?

I would add in the overview or in the first set description that Smeargle is a staple mon for basically all fullpass teams.
Hidden Power Fighting can be used for handling Tyranitar and Houndoom
Minor nitpicking but I find the phrasing "handling" when speaking about Houndoom a bit misleading. You still need to predict Roar/Fire move right and even if you do, unboosted HpFighting would not OHKO. I would replace it with "pressuring phazers like".
Quagsire wears down Pokemon such as Skarmory for Marowak
Not sure how much this information helps since you could also just pass to Marowak in the first place. The advantage of Quagsire is mainly that it minds the electrics less and that in combination with having Leftovers allows it to stay out of range of some attacks of mons it can't OHKO like Suicune. Just an example, you shouldn't mention it in the analysis: if your +2 speed Marowak is facing a (Sleep Talk) Zapdos while both are at full health, Zapdos could use HpIce on either an SD or RS turn assuming you don't flinch/crit with the latter. Even if you take Zapdos out after SD, you now are in range of Surf from Cloyster or Suicune which you can't OHKO. Quagsire in that same situation could use Belly Drum in exchance for HpIce against Zapdos, getting Leftovers health, beating Zap with HpRock (a highly favorable roll to OHKO), getting Leftovers again and if I didn't miscalc it should be around 40% health which is out of Suicune/Cloyster Surf range.
though spinners generally don't like switching into Spore.
I think we should differentiate here a bit. Turn 1 it is unlikely that someone is switching to their Spinner against Smeargle unless they have two phazers e.g. Golem and Skarmory of which the former also has Spin but even then there are different approaches to it e.g. staying in with the lead.
Should you Spore on turn 1, it is not that unlikely now that the opponent will switch to a Golem now, because it is a phazer.

About Mirror Coat: pokemon share the special attack and special defense stat EXP for compatibility (as well as the DVs), meaning that lowering your special defense would also lower your special attack and thus Mirror Coat + Sacred Fire have bad synergy (even though they probably could still work okay together since you mainly care about the burn chance).
As example:
Smeargle Sacred Fire vs. Leftovers Forretress: 187 - 220 (53 - 62.3%) -- 99.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers
216 SpA Smeargle Sacred Fire vs. Leftovers Forretress: 173 - 204 (49 - 57.8%) -- 57.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers
However, this is currently not implemented on PS, meaning you could use 216 special defense EVs on Smeargle but 252 special attack ones.

wyc2333

However, this is currently not implemented on PS
when will it be implemented on PS? should i implement "Mirror Coat + Sacred Fire have bad synergy (even though they probably could still work okay together since you mainly care about the burn chance)" after it is implemented on ps or right now?

btw, thx for ur feedback and other things are implemented. it is ready to be looked over again

Quagsire could use Belly Drum when Zapdos uses Hidden Power, get Leftovers recovery, beat Zapdos with Hidden Power Rock with a highly favorable roll to OHKO, get Leftovers recovery again, thus being around 40% health which is out of range from some attacks such as Surf from Cloyster and Suicune.
Just an example, you shouldn't mention it in the analysis:
I think this might go unecessarily in depth. I would just list Quagsire as alternative team mate without a long explanation. Just having him in the list of "slow wallbreaker such as" is enough in my opinion.
With Sand Attack, it can be an emergent option for setup attackers, which annoys Smeargle without Encore after Spore is used.
Maybe this could be slightly misleading since even if you have Encore, it is still risky to switch Smeargle into e.g. a CurseLax. I would remove the "which annoys Smeargle without Encore after Spore is used" part.
They are also for spinners: the former destroys Cloyster and Starmie, while the latter is a reliable Fire-type attack for Forretress
Even though Present can do lots of damage to them, it can also fail so I don't like the wording "destroy" as much. I'd say "can do enormous amounts of damage" or something like that instead. Also add the word "Spikers" alongside "Spinners".
burn Rock-types such as Rhydon
I'd go as far and even list all three here: Tyranitar, Golem and Rhydon.
though on Turn 1 it is unlikely that someone is switching to their Spinner against Smeargle unless they have Golem and another phazer. So, you can use Spore on Turn 1 because an opponent will switch to a Golem in that case.
I'd remove this. With my earlier comments I just wanted to point out: many pokemon don't want to switch into Spore so I didn't think there is the need to mention that specifically for the spinners since under the right circumstances they might still switch in but I think explaining all that would make it overly complicated. Apologies if I wasn't as clear with describing what should be added to the analysis and what I only mentioned as background information so you understand why I think certain things should or should not be mentioned.
when will it be implemented on PS? should i implement "Mirror Coat + Sacred Fire have bad synergy (even though they probably could still work okay together since you mainly care about the burn chance)" after it is implemented on ps or right now?
I am not sure when it will be implemented but I would treat it as if it is already fixed.
Phazers with offensive presence such as Zapdos, Raikou, and Rhydon can exploit Spikes support from Smeargle.
Not sure if this needs to be mentioned. I personally would probably remove it but I am also not strongly opposed to keeping it.
Maybe wait for the second QC check before deciding this and leave it as is for now.
A TrapPass set with Spider Web and Baton Pass can try to trap basically anything that switches into it, unless it's a phazer and you don't manage to get the Disable on the phazing move.
Protect needs to be mentioned as otherwise you can't disable the phazing move.

wyc2333

I think this might go unecessarily in depth. I would just list Quagsire as alternative team mate without a long explanation. Just having him in the list of "slow wallbreaker such as" is enough in my opinion.

Maybe this could be slightly misleading since even if you have Encore, it is still risky to switch Smeargle into e.g. a CurseLax. I would remove the "which annoys Smeargle without Encore after Spore is used" part.

Even though Present can do lots of damage to them, it can also fail so I don't like the wording "destroy" as much. I'd say "can do enormous amounts of damage" or something like that instead. Also add the word "Spikers" alongside "Spinners".

I'd go as far and even list all three here: Tyranitar, Golem and Rhydon.

I'd remove this. With my earlier comments I just wanted to point out: many pokemon don't want to switch into Spore so I didn't think there is the need to mention that specifically for the spinners since under the right circumstances they might still switch in but I think explaining all that would make it overly complicated. Apologies if I wasn't as clear with describing what should be added to the analysis and what I only mentioned as background information so you understand why I think certain things should or should not be mentioned.

I am not sure when it will be implemented but I would treat it as if it is already fixed.

Not sure if this needs to be mentioned. I personally would probably remove it but I am also not strongly opposed to keeping it.
Maybe wait for the second QC check before deciding this and leave it as is for now.

Protect needs to be mentioned as otherwise you can't disable the phazing move.
fixed. ready for qc again

[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle learns almost every move, thus being able to use Spore, a reliable sleeping move that no other Pokemon can do in OU and BL.
While Spore is very important, I think the opening sentence (and the overview) should focus on Smeargle's ability to be dangerous through its unpredictability. In particular, there is no way to know what a lead Smeargle is going to do for sure. Spore should also be emphasised though.

Besides, its user has to do some key predictions, which means high risk.
This statement is a bit vague, I think you need to make it a bit clearer what you are referring to.

I think you could even go as far as to say that straying from the sets outlined in the analysis is a good idea because while they are effective, people will expect them, and one of Smeargle's most valuable traits is its unpredictability.

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Smeargle is a staple mon for basically all fullpass teams. It is also the only Baton Pass user that can ensure to pass a boost even if an opponent has two phazers, assuming you get it in vs a non phazer. For example, if you have it in vs an opposing Snorlax, you can use Agility and if their phazer is switched in, you can use Spore and then Baton Pass on the next turn.

When it comes to the last slot, Substitute blocks status from Pokemon such as Exeggutor once Miracle Berry is used, scouts Explosion from opposing Pokemon such as Forretress, exploits miss rates of Thunder, and gives a teammate a free turn to set up. Spikes secures many relevant OHKOs, most importantly +6 Snorlax's Mega Kick / Double-Edge versus Cloyster and Suicune. Although it's risky to switch Smeargle into a Pokemon setting up like Snorlax, Vaporeon, and Quagsire, if you succeed, you can lock it with Encore and gain momentum. Encore can also lock Pokemon such as Skarmory into Rest. Destiny Bond has some potential to take something with you, especially after Agility is used. Miracle Berry deals with status, especially sleep and paralysis, which can be problematic for Agility + Baton Pass teams.
I like the idea of adding a single sentence to the start of this section about this set being used to set up dangerous set up sweepers or other Baton Pass users with speed boosts.

Team Options
========
Scizor can deal with Explosion Exeggutor with Hidden Power Bug. In addition, Hidden Power Fighting
I would use "Alternatively" instead of "In addition".

Jolteon forces phazers such as Skarmory and Suicune out, thus maintaining Baton Pass chains.
I would change "thus maintaining Baton Pass chains" to "making it an essential teammate for maintaining Baton Pass chains".

Thanks to Confuse Ray, Mean Look, and Baton Pass, Umbreon can be frustrating for phazers. With Sand Attack, it can be an emergent option for setup attackers.
Should be emergency rather than emergent I think. You can also mention that Smeargle can put Pokemon that Umbreon has trapped to sleep, which leaves the opponent completely helpless unless they have Sleep Talk.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
If you predict correctly, Spore is a cool move to mess things up.
The threat of Spore limits the Pokemon that can safely switch into Smeargle and forces switches, and if landed on the right target, can swing a game in your favor.

Present and Sacred Fire deal with phazers because usually people are more concerned about Baton Pass variants so they will check for it by switching to their phazer after getting slept by Spore: Present is for Raikou and Suicune, while Sacred Fire hits Skarmory and Steelix super effectively and can burn Rock-types such as Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydon. They are also for Spinners and Spikers: the former can do enormous amounts of damage to Cloyster and Starmie, while the latter is a reliable Fire-type attack for Forretress.
In my opinion these two attacks are primarily used for the purpose of preventing Rapid Spin users from keeping Smeargle's Spikes off the field rather than to address phazers. I would reorganise this part and then introduce the idea that phazers might come in and get crippled by Sacred Fire if they fear the Agility Pass set.

Mirror Coat OHKOes special attackers such as Zapdos, and with Destiny Bond, Smeargle can attempt to score a one-for-two trade, though many people will expect these moves on Spikes Smeargle sets. In addition, a player should remember that Mirror Coat will always fail against moves used via Sleep Talk.
As well as Hidden Power.

For example, 216 Speciall Defense EVs can be used to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou when it uses Thunderbolt unless it gets the single lowest damage roll possible, while 200 Special Defense EVs can be used to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou if it uses Thunderbolt.
I am sceptical of the need to mention the 216 SpD EVs. Maybe just stick with the 200 SpD EVs.

Anyway, Cloyster fits on offensive teams more often as a Spiker.
Maybe change this sentence to: "This Smeargle set competes with Cloyster for the Spiker slot on offensive teams, and generally speaking, Cloyster is a more consistent choice." I would then also outline Smeargle's advantages over Cloyster, which mainly comes down to surprise value.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Although Smeargle is rarely used on stall teams and kept around until the endgame, Perish Song is an answer to last setup Pokemon like Snorlax and Vaporeon. It also forces things out, especially if they are asleep.
I would mention this moreso with Spider Web and Destiny Bond than in the contexts it has been mentioned in, which I think are extremely situational.

Thanks to Leftovers, Recover could give Smeargle another shot at doing it if it doesn't work the first time, but it is too fragile to take attacks except something like Surf from Cloyster and Pursuit from Umbreon.
It's unclear what you are suggesting Smeargle will have another shot at. I would mention this perhaps in the context of trap passing or passing defensive boosts, which is most likely to be found in a BP chain. I don't think it is viable on many other sets.

A TrapPass set with Spider Web and Baton Pass can try to trap basically anything that switches into it, unless it's a phazer and you don't manage to get Disable on a phazing move after using Protect.
I think further elaboration is needed here. e.g. It can be used with Protect and Disable but it doesn't have to be. Also, mention that you can't use Spider Web with sleep moves here.

Since Smeargle can have almost every move, there are many more ways to get creative with it and some moves that one could consider are: Heal Bell, Counter, and Thief.
This sentence seems unnecessary. You are already listing moves that can be considered.
Thief steals Leftovers, a common item in GSC OU from an opposing Pokemon at the cost of one slot.
I would change this to "Thief can be used in a spare slot to steal the foe's item, which will typically deprive them of Leftovers's passive recovery for the remainder of the game."

Checks and Counters
===================
**Any Attacking Move**: Any attack will cripple Smeargle, but one should be wary of moves such as Destiny Bond.
Maybe change this to "Any reasonably powerful attack will deal a lot of damage to Smeargle," and also list Mirror Coat.

**Haze and Phaze**: Baton Pass chains can be stopped by Haze, Whirlwind, Roar, or Perish Song, but Smeargle has Spore to counterstyle play.
"counterstyle" is the wrong word. You can simply say "prevent these moves from being used".

**Fast Lovely Kiss**: Although Smeargle has Miracle Berry, Nidoking and Jynx can use Thief against Smeargle to block Spore and threaten Smeargle teams, especially Baton Pass ones with Lovely Kiss, while the latter one can also run Substitute to take advantage of Smeargle teams.
I might suggest describing this as Fast Thief + Lovely Kiss. I don't think it works without both.

wyc2333

While Spore is very important, I think the opening sentence (and the overview) should focus on Smeargle's ability to be dangerous through its unpredictability. In particular, there is no way to know what a lead Smeargle is going to do for sure. Spore should also be emphasised though.

This statement is a bit vague, I think you need to make it a bit clearer what you are referring to.

I think you could even go as far as to say that straying from the sets outlined in the analysis is a good idea because while they are effective, people will expect them, and one of Smeargle's most valuable traits is its unpredictability.

I like the idea of adding a single sentence to the start of this section about this set being used to set up dangerous set up sweepers or other Baton Pass users with speed boosts.

I would use "Alternatively" instead of "In addition".

I would change "thus maintaining Baton Pass chains" to "making it an essential teammate for maintaining Baton Pass chains".

Should be emergency rather than emergent I think. You can also mention that Smeargle can put Pokemon that Umbreon has trapped to sleep, which leaves the opponent completely helpless unless they have Sleep Talk.

The threat of Spore limits the Pokemon that can safely switch into Smeargle and forces switches, and if landed on the right target, can swing a game in your favor.

In my opinion these two attacks are primarily used for the purpose of preventing Rapid Spin users from keeping Smeargle's Spikes off the field rather than to address phazers. I would reorganise this part and then introduce the idea that phazers might come in and get crippled by Sacred Fire if they fear the Agility Pass set.

As well as Hidden Power.

I am sceptical of the need to mention the 216 SpD EVs. Maybe just stick with the 200 SpD EVs.

Maybe change this sentence to: "This Smeargle set competes with Cloyster for the Spiker slot on offensive teams, and generally speaking, Cloyster is a more consistent choice." I would then also outline Smeargle's advantages over Cloyster, which mainly comes down to surprise value.

I would mention this moreso with Spider Web and Destiny Bond than in the contexts it has been mentioned in, which I think are extremely situational.

It's unclear what you are suggesting Smeargle will have another shot at. I would mention this perhaps in the context of trap passing or passing defensive boosts, which is most likely to be found in a BP chain. I don't think it is viable on many other sets.

I think further elaboration is needed here. e.g. It can be used with Protect and Disable but it doesn't have to be. Also, mention that you can't use Spider Web with sleep moves here.

This sentence seems unnecessary. You are already listing moves that can be considered.
I would change this to "Thief can be used in a spare slot to steal the foe's item, which will typically deprive them of Leftovers's passive recovery for the remainder of the game."

Maybe change this to "Any reasonably powerful attack will deal a lot of damage to Smeargle," and also list Mirror Coat.

"counterstyle" is the wrong word. You can simply say "prevent these moves from being used".

I might suggest describing this as Fast Thief + Lovely Kiss. I don't think it works without both.
Done. Anything else worth mentioning?

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
Smeargle learns almost every move, so it is dangerous through its unpredictability. In particular, there is no way to know what a lead Smeargle is going to do for sure. It is able to use Spore, a reliable sleeping move that no other viable Pokemon can use,(period -> comma) With and with access to Baton Pass and Spikes alongside Spore, it can do a solid job of supporting an offensive team. However, the fact that Smeargle is slower than many common leads and can't take many attacks restricts its viability. In addition, its user has to make key predictions around the timing of its use of moves like Spore, and choosing the wrong move or the wrong turn to use a specific move (? not sure what you were going for here) will typically result in Smeargle becoming fodder.

Straying from the sets outlined in this analysis may be a wise choice, because while they are effective, people will expect them, and one of Smeargle's most valuable traits is its unpredictability.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Spore
move 2: Agility
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Substitute / Spikes / Encore / Destiny Bond

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set is used to set up dangerous setup sweepers or other Baton Pass users with speed Speed boosts. It Smeargle is the only Baton Pass user that can ensure to always pass a boost even if an opponent has two phazers, assuming you get it in vs versus a non-phazer(AH), which makes it a staple Pokemon for basically all teams centred centered around Baton Pass. For example, if you have it in vs against an opposing Snorlax, you can use Agility,(AC) and if their phazer is switched in, you can use Spore and then Baton Pass on the next turn.

When it comes to the last slot, Substitute blocks status from Pokemon such as Exeggutor once Miracle Berry is used, scouts Explosion from opposing Pokemon such as Forretress, exploits the low accuracy of Thunder, and gives a teammate a free turn to set up. Spikes secures many relevant OHKOs, most importantly +6 Snorlax's Mega Kick or Double-Edge versus Cloyster and Suicune. Although it's risky to switch Smeargle into a Pokemon such as Snorlax, Vaporeon, and or Quagsire as they set up, if you succeed, you can lock them in with Encore and gain momentum. Encore can also lock Pokemon such as Skarmory into Rest. Destiny Bond has some potential to take something out with you Smeargle, especially after Agility is used. Miracle Berry deals with status, especially sleep and paralysis, which can be problematic for Agility + Baton Pass teams.

Team Options
========
Slow wallbreakers such as Marowak, Belly Drum Snorlax, Meditate Machamp, and the uncommon Quagsire appreciate boosts from Smeargle's Agility. Marowak can threaten phazers such as Raikou, Tyranitar, and Golem, handle Explosion users such as Gengar with Earthquake, use Rock Slide to score flinches against checks like Skarmory after getting speed Speed boosts from Smeargle, and take Electric-type attacks from Sleep Talk variants of Zapdos and Raikou that are common switch-ins to Spore from Smeargle. Belly Drum Snorlax can use Lovely Kiss to get a free turn to set up. Machamp is helpful in breaking CurseLax.

Scizor can deal with Explosion Exeggutor with Hidden Power Bug. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fighting can be used for pressuring phazers like Tyranitar and Houndoom, at least doing more to Steel-types than Hidden Power Bug, and threatening the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU Snorlax since the most dominant Pokemon in GSC OU, especially with, whose Sleep Talk + Curse set is very threatening for most Baton Pass teams. Furthermore, it can also handle some variants of Forretress, whose Explosion can be annoying for Agility receivers. Jolteon forces phazers such as Skarmory and Suicune out, making it an essential teammate for maintaining Baton Pass chains. Thanks to Confuse Ray, Mean Look, and Baton Pass, Umbreon can be frustrating for phazers. With Sand Attack, it can also be an emergency option for setup attackers. Smeargle can also put Pokemon that Umbreon has trapped to sleep, which leaves the foe helpless unless they have Sleep Talk.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
This set acts as a Spikes user Spiker. The threat of Spore limits Pokemon that can safely switch into Smeargle and forces switches, and if landed on the right target, it can swing a game in your favor. Present and Sacred Fire are primarily used for the purpose of preventing Rapid Spin users spinners from keeping Smeargle's Spikes off the field;(colon -> semicolon) the former can do enormous amounts of damage to Cloyster and Starmie, while the latter is a reliable Fire-type attack for Forretress and threatens to burn Golem. Also, phazers might come in and get crippled if they fear the Baton Pass set;(colon -> semicolon) Present is for Raikou and Suicune, while Sacred Fire hits Skarmory and Steelix super effectively and can burn Rock-types such as Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydon. Mirror Coat OHKOes special attackers such as Zapdos, and with Destiny Bond, Smeargle can attempt to score a one-for-two trade, though many people will expect these moves on Spikes Smeargle sets. In addition, a player should remember that Mirror Coat will always fail against Hidden Power and moves used via Sleep Talk. Furthermore, lowering Special Defense EVs to get some OHKO Mirror Coat OHKO benchmarks is a viable strategy. For example, 200 Special Defense EVs can be used to ensure that Mirror Coat will OHKO Raikou if it uses Thunderbolt. However, lowering your Special Defense would also lower your Special Attack, so Mirror Coat doesn't have ideal synergy with Sacred Fire even though they could still work together,(AC) since you mainly care about the burn chance.

This set competes with Cloyster for the Spiker slot on offensive teams, and generally speaking, Cloyster is a more viable choice. Offensively, its STAB Surf does decent damage to most Pokemon that resist Explosion. Defensively, its considerable physical bulk allows it to switch in on Ground-types such as Steelix and Marowak. Smeargle's advantages over Cloyster mainly come down to Spore and surprise value.

Team Options
========
Since Smeargle is frail, it fits on fast-paced teams. Phazers with offensive presence such as Zapdos, Raikou, and Rhydon can exploit Spikes support from Smeargle. Thief users like Jynx help Spikes wear down an opposing team more quickly. Present can surprise Cloyster, Raikou, and Exeggutor, so attackers such as Vaporeon will shine. If Mirror Coat is used to surprise Pokemon such as Zapdos, attackers such as Machamp and Exeggutor will appreciate it.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Rapid Spin, which needs Pursuit support for Ghost-types, can be frustrating for an opposing Spiker to deal with when they can't safely come in because of Spore and the fourth move that could be Present for Cloyster or Sacred Fire for Forretress, but coverage is lost,(AC) and it can be hard to switch Smeargle in safely. Perish Song pairs well with Spider Web and Destiny Bond. Thunder Wave cripples Sleep Talk users, especially Zapdos and Raikou. Super Fang does decent damage to every Pokemon bar Ghost-types, but RestTalk users aren't bothered by it much. A TrapPass set with Spider Web and Baton Pass can try to trap basically anything that switches into it, and Smeargle can use the combination of Protect and Disable to block phazing attempts. It should be noted that trapping moves are illegal on the same set as sleep moves, so Smeargle can't use Spore with Spider Web. Thanks to Leftovers, Recover could give Smeargle another shot at pulling off a TrapPass or passing defensive boosts, which is most likely to be found in a Baton Pass chain, but it is too fragile to take attacks except something like Surf from Cloyster and or Pursuit from Umbreon. Counter allows Smeargle to threaten physical attackers that target its awful bulk,(AC) and lowering Defense EVs to get some OHKO Counter OHKO benchmarks is a viable option. For example, 216 Defense EVs ensure that Counter will OHKO Snorlax if it uses Double-Edge. Thief can be used in a spare slot to steal the foe's item, which will typically deprive them of Leftovers's passive recovery for the remainder of a game.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Any Attacking Move**: Any reasonably powerful attack will deal plenty of damage to Smeargle, but one should be wary of moves such as Mirror Coat and Destiny Bond.

**Haze and Phaze**: Baton Pass chains can be stopped by Haze, Whirlwind, Roar, or Perish Song, but Smeargle has Spore to prevent these moves from being used.

**Explosion**: Explosion threatens Baton Pass chains, but Smeargle has Spore and Substitute to solve this problem.

**Fast Thief + Lovely Kiss**: Although Smeargle has Miracle Berry, Nidoking and Jynx can use Thief against Smeargle to block Spore and threaten Smeargle teams, especially Baton Pass ones,(AC) with Lovely Kiss.

**Sleep Talk**: With Sleep Talk, Pokemon can absorb Spore so that they won't be taken advantage of by Smeargle teams. However, Smeargle can predict switch-ins of Sleep Talk users to switch in and get a free turn to work (not sure what "work" means).

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[wyc2333, 336830]]
- Quality checked by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

gp 1/2 when done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)