Smogoff

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Smogoff

Hey guys, Gen 5 is now a thing of the past and so is my activity on this site, I've really grown since I first started playing online pokemon and I really don't have that much time to play it anymore (which is a good thing, my life is much better now than it was when I first started playing :D) I decided to post this last RMT as a goodbye post before officialy retiring. I figured I'd quit and post this when I finish all my tourney battles and now that that time has come, here it is, my final RMT.

I've always wanted to do a team that could do well on the long run on the ladder (which means to pack a lot of ways to prevent hax or win even when it hits against you) but that could also do well against talented users by packing multiple consistent strategies. These 2 aspects have always seemed to come separately as my teams that usualy do well on the ladder use obvious but reliable strategies that don't fool good players while those that do good against good players were usualy very fragile and never went too far on the ladder because of hax ruining them so easily. The teams I did manage to build in the past that could acheive both all had glaring weaknesses to stuff such as carracosta, zard, buzz or stall.
Well for the very first time, I managed to build a team that does both in my own criterias (which I think are pretty severe) and does pretty well against about every huge threat in the tier (bar maybe tauros). It all started around this idea of using offensive miltank after nearly getting wrecked by one which then lead me to create a mixed core of seismitoad, mushy and offensive cow. I patched up with probo and added a touch of originality with ursaring and ditto who fit perfectly.

Oh the team also went #4 on ladder 28-1 as chickenjeeze not that it's too impressive though but prooves it does well on ladder I guess.

On with the team:

Miltank (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Punishment
- Milk Drink

Offensive miltank seems somewhat forgotten but it's still a fucking boss, 100 speed hits just over 95 which means it outspeeds a shitload of important offensive threats and it's power is just decent enough to make it a good revenge killer. Sap sipper is an amazing abilitiy that adds up to the fact miltank has enough bulk to bring some defensive support even with an offensive set. Sap sipper is rather easy to bait when you use seismitoad as it's by far the easiest way to get rid of it and once miltank gets that free boost, it's actually pretty easy to sweep with. I use return over double-edge because LO + DE recoil is just too much even when you have milk drink. Miltank is not only a revenge killer but can also act as a late game sweeper even without sap sipper thanks to it's decent power and it's partner in crime ursaring which baits in and wrecks all that resists it because of the similar coverage. Very often, the opponent won't even know he's throwing away his miltank counter because the set is rare enough for him to expect a defensive cow. Finaly, miltank counters offenive missy pretty well who would otherwise wreck my team.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight

Standard mushy and best mushy if you ask me. There are still teams weak to cm mush so why not abuse it? Baton pass can pass the boost to probo or toad but it's mainly just to get the fuck out safley and keep momentum on my side. Mushy is obviously my main wall and covers fighting/ground while toad + miltank take on elements and rock types pretty well (which was the starting idea of the team). Synchronize is also a last resort to killing alomomola because I don't really have anything to play around it mid game and just need to find a way to kill it late game. Finaly, mushy is also my only mon that actually sets up which is really useful when some defensive mons just stall you out eternaly.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Endeavor

Toad is the final member of the main core, at first it was supposed to be my stealth rock setter but after adding probo I decided I could use it to a better purpose, GIMMICK! sub endeavor is such a good combo, but toad really isn't the best user because of it's high hp and the fact it's not that fast but it just happens to have 2 free moveslots and my team happens to have a hard time with some defesinve mons such as mandibuzz. It's main role otherwise is just to come in on rock types, pose a threat or bait in a grass type for miltank to hopefully become a threat. Sub also let's it stall out alomomola with an eventual crit of sp.d drop late game.

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 SAtk / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

What's an NU team without a normal resist right? Probo does what most probos do and that is set up rocks or volt switch against anything that does less damage to it than it heals with lefties. Even if mandibuzz can taunt the toxic and heal off the power gem, probo is what I always switch in on buzz because it can't do nothing to it (literaly) and so I just have to wait for a moment when he needs to taunt and roost at the same time and either toxic or volt switch to a big bad bear that will wreck the scavanger apart. Probo is also my own answer to opposing mushys which is why it carries toxic over earth power.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

Talking about the big bad bear... I was very satisfied with how well my 4 mon core countered a shitload of common threats but I still had a hard time with one strategy as a whole, stall. And so, I needed something to punch big holes which is why I turned towards the ultimate hole pucnher, the one practicly no team can deal with once it's on the field, big bear. It's rather easy for me to get a free switch in for ursaring thanks to a slow volt switch and baton pass which activates the toxic orb. There's 2 very particular things about this set that might mistify some. First off, why do I run a jolly guts bear when zangoose exists? Well there are 2 great answers to that question. First off, I need guts, not toxic boost. My team would otherwise really struggle against defensive missy but this thing can come in on will-o-wisp if it wants. Foul play variants are a little more painful however but seismitoad has 0 attack IVs for those. Second reason is bulk which might seem unescessery on status sweepers but it really makes a difference when you're in a shitty situation and just need to punch a whole in your opponent's team asap. Ursaring can come in on a reasonable amount of stuff, hit like the big bad bear he is and die out, something zangoose can't achieve. Now jolly is used because I'm a funky user who's noticed such a huge part of the meta was centered around max spe adamant golurk. All golbats, mandibuzz, defensive missys, certan seismitoads, cb golurks, cb torterra, rampardos and gorebyss desperatley try to speed creep each other so I figured I'd just go jolly to outspeed all of those. The loss in power isn't too bad cause bear is bear and hits like a bear. The second weird thing about ursaring is the 4th moveslot... seed bomb which hits very few things harder than it's 3 other coverage moves. I came up with the idea of seed bomb because ursaring's 4th move isn't very useful anyway but the main way many people tend to kill it is by switching out till it dies to toxic. Seed bomb will hit for reasonable damage a lot of things that often particpate in such switching bullshit like regirock, alomomola, golurk and missy. The fact I'm jolly and carry seed bomb combined also let's me kill off opposing seismitoads turn 1 because I really don't seem to have anything capable of doing a lot of damage to it immiediatly which just sound like free stealth rocks to any good opponent. Toxic orb is used over flame orb to fake quick feet and because ursaring genrealy doesn't stay in too long (except when he has to kill momo).

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Transform

This is my third RMT where ditto fills the last spot of the team and for a good reason, it's niche is just so unique. It seems pretty ridiculous to me it's topD in the viability rankings. While it practicly never seems to be the mvp of the team, it's because you don't take in consideration all the dangerous things your opponent doesn't do just because ditto is in your team. And so, ditto leaves me a little less vulnerable to charizard (30 sp.a is hp electric), gorebyss, tauros, choice band torterra and goluk, and many more. But that's not it yet, since stall teams usualy can't afford to run one of NU's shitty spinners, I can also copy roselia, set up full hazards to then make the big holes with ursaring. Finaly, ditto is a cool way of making a good team without any priority and even deals with bullshit like riolu.

Threats:
Tauros: Once rocks are up, tauros becomes a true pain in the ass because it 2hko's mushy and outspeeds miltank. I just try to keep rock off the field or kill it asap.
Primeape: u-turn/cc predicts are just annoying on the long run especially since everything is hit by hazards.
Specs Zard: What team isn't weak to this thing ?
Choiceband Golurk: I just don't have anything that takes cb EQ's well but at least it's slower than ursaring
:
Alomomola: Not very threatening, I just have a hard time killing it before late game which can be painful.

Marowak: Same as cb golurk

Toxic Spikes: annoying, but they don't affect probo and ursaring is just happy about it.

That's it folks! Big shoutout to the whole NU community, I'll come back on #neverused from time to time say hello and see what's up with xy, love you all :).

Miltank (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Punishment
- Milk Drink

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Endeavor

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 SAtk / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk
- Transform

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)