SMOGON CHARITY BOWL IV
(Thanks to brightobject for the logo!)
In case you haven't heard somehow, Turkey and Syria were recently struck by a massive earthquake, hitting a whopping 7.8 on the Richter scale, alongside a 7.6 aftershock mere hours later. Thousands of civilians have been killed, displaced, or majorly harmed; in an effort to provide relief to those affected, Smogon is going to be hosting its fourth Charity Bowl, this time in Scarlet and Violet OverUsed. This tournament will take place this Sunday, February 19th, at 12PM (noon) EST (GMT -5). We will be raising funds for the Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) Foundation.
You can join us for this tournament as a participant, or follow the action live on our Twitch streams at twitch.tv/smogonu. Smogon will be raising money via donations throughout the event, so we are encouraging all participants and spectators to donate whatever you can spare. You will be able to donate through Twitch itself in this event when the stream is live. You can also donate right now if you so choose! You can donate at Smogon's Twitch, link here.
The Smogon Charity Bowl will consist of two brackets that will merge into a single bracket from Round Three of the tournament onwards. The tournament will be single elimination, best-of-one. The format will be Scarlet and Violet OU.
Players will be randomly divided into two groups. Each group will play in a live best-of-one tournament, following the same rules and format as the Smogon Tour. From Round 4 onwards, players will play in one bracket.
All games will take place on the official Smogon Tournament server at http://smogtours.psim.us/.
General Smogon Tour rules:
- You must have a Smogon forum account to sign up for this tournament. You cannot participate if you do not post in the signup thread. Proxy signup posts are not allowed.
- When signups for this tour is posted, post as quickly as you can to ensure a place in the tournament. It is up to the discretion of the host on when sign-ups will be closed. On Xenforo (our current forum software), YOUR POST NUMBER IS NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. Please do not attack the host or on SmogTours if your post number implies you should have been in the tournament and you are not.
- Substitute players will only be applied in the first round and as deemed necessary by the host.
- If you have signed up successfully, you must stay for the entire tournament unless you have lost.
- You may change teams between rounds without penalty. You are, in fact, encouraged to do so to prevent your opponents from knowing your team in advance.
- Do not hassle the host(s) of the current tournament.
- The format is Scarlet and Violet. The current status of the appropriate standard ladder will function as the prevailing tier list. If you have any question about whether a particular Pokemon is banned or not in any particular tier, reference the banlist of the appropriate ladder on PS! with '/tier'. This is not confusing. There will be no exceptions.
- Species Clause: A player cannot have two (2) of the same species of Pokemon on their team, based on National Pokedex number. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on their team.
- Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokemon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokemon.
- Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokemon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
- OHKO Clause: A player cannot use a move that has a chance of instantly KOing an opposing Pokemon. For example, Horn Drill or Sheer Cold are illegal moves.
- Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, that player loses. SmogTours staff will not turn the timer off in any circumstance.
- Self-KO Clause: If a player uses a recoil move to cause a draw, that player wins. If a player uses Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song to cause a draw, that player loses. If a draw would be caused by a hold item or ability that causes recoil to the opponent, the player that controls the Pokémon with the hold item or ability wins. (This clause helps determine the winner of what would be called a tie in DPP. Later generations do not apply this clause, because their cartridge mechanics will prevent ties from happening.)
- Endless Battle Clause: A player cannot use a combination of items / moves / abilities to force a game that will never end (example: Recycle / Leppa Berry / Heal Pulse, etc).
- Moody Clause: A player can not use the ability Moody.
The winner of the Charity Bowl will receive a prize banner to appear on their Smogon account. In addition, the following Pokemon Showdown prizes are being offered, courtesy of PS! Staff:
The winner will be able to choose between a custom avatar and claiming an unused PS username, in addition to being granted a recolour; the remaining option will be granted to the runner-up.
- A custom avatar.
- The ability to recolor your PS username.
- The ability to claim an unused PS username.
The prize banner will appear under the user’s custom title and state that they are the winner of the Smogon Charity Bowl. The winner will be allowed to choose from a range of colours.
The custom PS avatar must meet all ordinary rules for custom avatars, and is subject to Marty's approval.
The PS name recolor will allow you to change your PS username color to the color of another account that you own.
Regarding claiming an unused PS username, only names that have not been used for three or more years are eligible to be claimed.
We strongly encourage all entrants to donate at least $5. However, if you are unable to give at this time, you will still be able to participate in this tournament.
Again, you can show your support here: twitch.tv/smogonu.
Thank you all.
Post "IN" to sign up!