Smogon Doubles UU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Disclaimer: This is a thread to comment and discuss on the Smogon Doubles UU metagame. This metagame is not official and is thus to be considered an Other Metagame, only relevant to Smogon Doubles and reliant on main Smogon Doubles rules.

Smogon Doubles UU

The Smogon Doubles UnderUsed is a metagame where Pokémon are banned due to OverUsed usage and thus underused Pokémon that rarely see the battle field on regular Smogon Doubles can be used to great success. Feel free to discuss tactics, teams, Pokémon, and rules on this thread. This is also the place to post Smogon Doubles UU replays and to organise tournaments.

Smogon Doubles UU can be played on Pokémon Showdown via challenge. There is no ladder. The active clauses are Species Clause, Moody Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Moves and Abilities Clause, and Endless Battle Clause; thus rules in place are the following:
Pokémon from all six generations that are not unreleased nor illegal and do not share Pokédex number are allowed.
All released abilities that are not Moody and that increase Evasion are allowed.
All released items but Soul Dew are allowed.
All moves but Dark Void, evasion increasing, and OHKO moves are allowed.
Combinations of moves, abilities, and items that cause battles to be endless are banned.
Team Preview is present.
Pokémon that are deemed Uber or are OU by usage are not allowed:

UBER
Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem-White, Xerneas, Yveltal

OU:
Abomasnow, Aegislash, Aerodactyl, Amoonguss, Aromatisse, Azumarill, Bisharp, Breloom, Chandelure, Charizard, Conkeldurr, Cresselia, Dragonite, Dusclops, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Garchomp, Gardevoir, Genesect, Gengar, Greninja, Gyarados, Heatran, Hitmontop, Infernape, Kangaskhan, Klefki, Kyurem-Black, Landorus-Therian, Latios, Lucario, Mamoswine, Manectric, Mawile, Meowstic, Politoed, Rotom-Wash, Salamence, Scizor, Scrafty, Shaymin-Sky, Sylveon, Talonflame, Terrakion, Thundurus, Togekiss, Tyranitar, Venusaur, Volcarona, Whimsicott, Zapdos

Sample Teams:
Audiosurfer's goodstuff team
U-Turn Out's Trick Room team

So, what are your thoughts and experience on this brand new metagame?

Last edited by a moderator:
The most notable thing about the UU mons is how many viable Trick Room Pokemon fall just below the OU cut. Setters include Dusclops, Jellicent, Aromatisse, Bronzong, and Cofagrigus (there are more). Sweepers include Rhyperior, Ampharos, Blastoise, and Snorlax (there are more). I expect this playstyle to be popular in Doubles UU fo sho.

Another thing to notice is the lack of Intimidate in this Tier. The only Pokemon remotely high in UU is Arcanine, who I do expect to be a top tier threat with Intimidate, Will-O-Wisp, Snarl, Flare Blitz, Close Combat, and Extremespeed in its arsenal, with decent stats to complement whatever set it wants to run. After that, Krookodile is the next Intimidate user at #148. This really allows physical sweepers to function well as opposed to "OU".

Just because this is UU does not mean that the power is any less than in "OU". There are huge threats in this meta such as Mega-Heracross, Skymin, Jirachi (the goto Follow Me spammer of the tier), Kyurem Black, Manaphy, Mega-Absol, and more :).

Tailwind has many options in this tier such as Suicune (new cress imo)(lol), Hydreigon, and Tornadus.

NO TALONFLAME, CRESS, OR HEATRAN :)

Something else to note is that Hippowdon is the only weather setter available in UU. This makes Sand an immediate scary force in UU and something to prepare for. However, there are cool setters of each weather available so self supporting weather sweepers could be a thing (such as Rain Dance Ludicolo)

I have a team built and I crushed (haxed) Audiosurfer in a match (make me tier leader pls) so anyone just let me know if you want to battle :)

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The fact that you can use both Aromatisse and Escavalier make TR scary. Add in your own Arcanine support as your fast TR mon, negative speed bulky Kyurem-B and you're set to go.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I haven't played this tier much since gen 6 started but there was a Gen 5 UU minitour a while back, and if that is anything to go by then Deoxys-A will be an amazing Pokemon in this metagame. It was able to put a huge amount of pressure on opposing teams, especially with alot of the bulkier Pokemon being in Doubles OU. There also aren't any recoil weathers (outside of Hippowdon I guess) to break its sash which is cool. A lead of Deoxys-A + a Fake Out user or another fast and powerful Pokemon would make it very difficult for the opponent to formulate a good answer to that most of the time. So yeah, Deoxys-A, give it a whirl.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, the lack of Cresselia, Aegislash, Scizor, Metagross, Gardevoir, Kangaskhan, and even Sableye makes Deoxys-A's life a lot easier. However Jirachi and Bisharp still exists, the former forcing pretty much Knock Off / Shadow Ball / Fire Punch on Deoxys-A if it wants to damage them. Landorus-I forms a solid pair with Deoxys-A, as it can totally destroy these two Steel-types with a Sheer Force LO Earth Power.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You guys are forgetting Kyu-B exists here where there is only one really viable Intimidate user.
Krookodile is good in UU too. Stoutland may be viable too.

And there are still many viable burn users like Mew, Arcanine, and Rotom (all forms sans Wash).

However, I agree that Kyu-B will be very scary in UU.

Krookodile is good in UU too. Stoutland may be viable too.

And there are still many viable burn users like Mew, Arcanine, and Rotom (all forms sans Wash).

However, I agree that Kyu-B will be very scary in UU.
I can see Mew, Rotom-H, and Rotom-C being popular. Krookodile has a nice EQ but is going to be ruined by any fighting type left in UU, plus I have a feeling it will be a 50/50 Moxie/Intimidate Split among users. Plus, it's best partner, Togekiss, is in OU.

I can see Mew, Rotom-H, and Rotom-C being popular. Krookodile has a nice EQ but is going to be ruined by any fighting type left in UU, plus I have a feeling it will be a 50/50 Moxie/Intimidate Split among users. Plus, it's best partner, Togekiss, is in OU.
Rotom-H and Mew will definitely be popular support mons. I highly doubt there will be a 50/50 split on Krookodile's ability as intimidate is so valuable and will be scarce in UU, but I certainly see the potential for moxie on a scarfed Krookodile.

I also see a lot of potential for TR in UU. There will of course always be ways to keep TR off the field; but some of the best bulky mons to counter TR (Conkeldurr, Kang, Mawile, etc.) will be locked up in OU while on the TR side of things there are so many viable setters and users that it won't be nerfed too badly. It could certainly become a dominant strategy.

Weather is another interesting idea as many inducers will be less shit (Ninetales anyone?) than they are in OU. Just some thoughts, I'm interested to see how the meta develops.

Last edited:

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So with the new month's usage, we have a new list of OU and UU mons :0 I updated the OP with the current UU banlist

Meowstic and Rhyperior rose to OU whereas Abomasnow Blaziken Latios Malamar Salamence Thundurus-T Zapdos all dropped to UU O.O

Latios and Zapdos OP. Right alongside KyuB in an almost no-fairy meta? Let the Tailwind teams commence!
there's also salamence, which has tailwind, strong offenses, and the coveted intimidate which is pretty sparsely spread in UU. what a boss. Also I imagine Diggersby rapes face in this (haven't actually played a dubs UU game yet :x)

Diggersby rapes face in everything tho nbd

Pocket

Antar supplied us with a UU banlist that takes into account the usage stats of the last 3 months :d I've updated the OP with the changes.

Basically Salamence and Weavile rose to OU while Cloyster and Rhyperior dropped to UU. Sensible changes since last time, but we still have Latios in UU x_x

Pocket

Eh, so apparently we're using 1760 stats now to determine tiering?

New OU: Abomasnow, Aegislash, Amoonguss, Ampharos, Azumarill, Bisharp, Breloom, Chandelure, Charizard, Conkeldurr, Cresselia, Dragonite, Dusclops, Excadrill, Garchomp, Gardevoir, Genesect, Gengar, Greninja, Gyarados, Heatran, Hitmontop, Jellicent, Jirachi, Kangaskhan, Klefki, Landorus-T, Latios, Lucario, Ludicolo, Mamoswine, Manectric, Mawile, Politoed, Reuniclus, Rhyperior, Rotom-W, Sableye, Salamence, Scrafty, Scizor, Shaymin-S, Sylveon, Talonflame, Terrakion, Thundurus, Togekiss, Trevenant, Tyranitar, Venusaur, Volcarona

Joim, please update Doubles UU with the new OU list :]

Also tagging Level 51 who hated the previous banlist :>

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
ha-HA yes excellent at least Latios is OU now >:)
somehow Jellicent is OU though? what a shame. I can see Mega Pinsir wrecking a lot of face here without Lando-T, Mawile and Top to intimidate it, Cress and Dusclops to wall it and set up Trick Room, or Talonflame/Thundurus/Charizard/TTar to crush it :( oh well, I'm sure we'll figure something out :P

Meh still some oddballs left like Greninja, Sableye, etc.
Blank of course Jelli is OU. Also lol Latios not OU always felt like some sick joke.

PS: My bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)