Other Smogon Exhibition - Commencement

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
first you bitch because big men tours dont let pu in, now you bitch because a team drafted a bunch of good players over your nonames pu mainer friends.

stop crying turbovirgins, your tears will be delicious once your shit teams lose to the mareanies.

GL to z0mOG
GL to Fille
GL to Evan.
GL to Kiyo
GL to False
GL to majaspic22
GL to Disjunction
GL to Z+V
GL to hyw
GL to pork chop man
GL to Shaneghoul
GL to EternalSnowman
GL to WreckDra
GL to Real FV13
GL to col49
GL to Trace
GL to terrors
GL to « Quantum Tesseract
GL to Bluxio
GL to TSR
GL to Raseri
GL to Cynara
GL to Shiba
GL to ItzViper482
GL to Serene's Grace
GL to Nineage
GL to Chop
GL to rural
GL to Loloartsi
GL to Dominatio
GL to Holy Break
GL to KingKdot
GL to Slick Willy

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
In all honesty, I'm really disappointed with how the draft turned out. Not only did these tiers get shunned from Official tournament representation because the playerbase is "too weak" or because of one reason or another, but when this tournament comes around, it's turned into a giant meme because of this draft. Drafting 33 players for a team that requires 8 slots to play is flat out retarded. Not only that, but it over inflated the entire auction as there was less upbidding / people going for less which means every team had an absurdly high amount of cash.
Hey Teddeh. I am sorry that you feel this way, but I just want to respond to a few bits I disagree with. First and foremost, I do acknowledge that it is unfortunate that these tiers, besides Monotype for the time being (just my personal opinion and subject to change), did not get included in the big tournaments. With that said, I think it is something that should be taken with a genuine understanding that it is not easy to cater to every single tier/playerbase and sometimes not everyone can be pleased -- it was not merely because playerbases were "too weak" or "one reason or another" as you state it to be.

Going on to the next topic I would like to address, drafting 33 players for an 8 slot tournament is indeed unorthodox and not actually an optimal strategy -- I will be the first to acknowledge the latter, too. With that said, the general concept of drafting a lot of players is not and we have a lot of motivated players who otherwise would not be involved with the tournament and I think that this support and our motivation as a group will correlate to surprising amounts of success in the coming weeks. Finally, you mentioned something about price inflation for the other five teams, but I fail to see this as a worry seeing as people like FLCL, who had the best overall year in individual tournaments last year, went for a mere 9k -- less than the average player if you were to buy the minimum. I think that the overall pricing was fine if you compare it to like auctions and our potential impact on this was minimal.

edit: apparently I misconstrued what you meant, but I mean honestly I think that prices were fairly normal, as I said, and our impact was minimal -- here

But the worst part of it all is how anyone who has spent any time dedicated to this tour now feels (or at least I feel) that 1/6 of the teams isn't going to take it seriously which generally puts the whole atmosphere of the tournament in the shitter.
I'm sorry, but who suggested we were not going to be taking this seriously? We already have over 4k messages in our team chat and every member is actively posting here, as you can see in this thread, and on Discord. We have a motivated group who will take week-to-week preparation and gameplay as seriously as possible. I cannot assure you that we will win, but we will give our best effort and I feel like we have a lot of underrated prospects that can make it work. I would appreciate if you did not judge our team before seeing how we perform.

From a PU standpoint, we were kicked out of grand slam, not included in snake draft (a lower tiers designed tour), then when we finally get a semi respectable tournament for our playerbase to shine in, 2 SPL managers decide it'll be a fun idea to draft the most amount of people possible and have a laugh and a joke. It's just set a sour tone for the entire tournament now.
Again, I disagree with how you are viewing things and think you are deflecting a lot of sentiments that are related to other parts of the tournament community onto this thread here. I hope that PU and its playerbase has great fortune and representation in the near future -- I have no reason to wish otherwise and we even drafted a number of new and old PU players, as you can see. I think that you should just do your best for your team like everyone else and let us do the same -- you might be surprised as to how enjoyable this tournament will be!

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
This tournament was supposed to be for all of the official metagames that didn't get included in SPL. Now let me ask you guys a question and I want it to sink in with you all...

Do you think the actions not only performed by not only Finch and Anti but also those who are complaining against what they did are beneficial towards our metagames eventually becoming a part of future SPLs?

Well that's a delightful attitude to take forward finch and I appreciate the response. I hope you and the Mareanies have a good season and prove me and my doubts wrong.
Let's hope everyone can have an enjoyable season and we get to see the very best from the tiers involved!

hyw

Banned deucer.
Well that's a delightful attitude to take forward finch and I appreciate the response. I hope you and the Mareanies have a good season and prove me and my doubts wrong.
Let's hope everyone can have an enjoyable season and we get to see the very best from the tiers involved!
my first debut in a team tour was the third iteration of upl

yohoe bought me at bare min price for 3k

i was benched the whole ssn till like the semi final round or smthg when our bw player had an emergency, n i was subbed in

my opp turned out to be the highest bid player in that tour at 42k, or 14,000% my valuation

and i ended up beating him in a resounding victory

yohoe then gave me the privilege of representing bw come the finals, too, and the tour ended with me finishing with a 2-0 record, both of important victories

we ended up tie breakering that final round and in the ultimate tie breaker we lost

despite the bitter sweet ending this experience taught me that my greatest quality as a player lies in feeding off of the doubt casted upon by others

i feed off of it and it transpires within me to give me strength; the opportunity to shit of expectations on a macro scale

look at me. look at me! the monster inside me has grown this big!

thank you teddeh and to anyone else who questions the great anti and finchinator for the way they played their auction game

to u they may seem like memesters but to me, in my eyes, they r visionaries looking at a scenery i think our entire team can get behind

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
there's been plenty of shit teams in other team tours but i've never seen anyone bitch about those

nor does having 33 people automatically means that that your team is garbage and that the tournament is ruined. how about letting the tournament play out? i can see a passable starting 8 for the toxapexes

also it did not over inflate the auction as a good manager would have just stuck to their draft plan and bought whoever they wanted on their plans. if anything it allowed more people to participate

but i guess you guys are used to looking hard for something to complain about and cry for attention

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rooting for the Mareanies to smash and bash, but would like to watch some of the games myself if I have the chance. Seeing some known names that I chat with on a friendly time-to-time matter like Haund should be fun to watch.

Is there a specific channel with the matches tag for the Exhibition for this? It's always fun to learn a new tier and explore more in a team tournament similar to this format. (This is assuming Smogtours probably won't allow this functionality, by the way).

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes because mons is a game for professionals, and no fun is allowed
uh id like to have a finch + anti dual back in 2013 to demotivate me about being a pokemon/smogon player, my life would be better nowdays

im happy for you friend
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
This is my first time observing a smogon tournament and the behavior demonstrated here makes me want to not participate in anything going forward.
probably for the best
5 hilarious responses, way to go boys we really merked 'em. jerks for everyone tonight, on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)