Smogon Premier League V - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok to be perfectly honest, I didn't want to win by timer. I put the timer on to rush Randy to put pressure because I believe I am a more intuitive battler than him. I would be putting myself at a disadvantage to allow him 5 minutes per turn like he took last week. That would drain my momentum for making plays while allowing him to analyze every possible scenario.
I would gladly have finished the match because I was in a somewhat favorable position, but it is not my fault he timed out. Everyone knows about the timer rule and in fact, it starts much higher on that server at 300 seconds than on other servers. Randy could have ignored spectators, he could have just finished his turns in time, a lot could have happened. But at the end of the day I won by default and it isn't going to change. Sorry.
If you guys still want to hate on a timer win, idgaf, but I don't believe anything is wrong with using a mechanic available to me to make my opponent play faster. Slow-paced matches mess with my head.
lmao jake way to represent doubles as a competitive tier

Last edited:

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Alright, maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but the dead horse was dragged to page 10 so I guess it should probably be buried properly sooner or later.

I read some posts a couple pages back that were accusing Randy of being ghosted, but didn't realize they were actually even partially serious until a bit earlier. When I played him, he also took a very long time to make his moves, but I never hit the timer as 1) I would want my opponent to make the best play possible and 2) I know Randy likes to take time to think through his moves. Not once did ghosting ever come to mind. I'd argue that by virtue of him being one of the most modest, honest people you'll ever meet you could determine this, but since that's probably not enough for some people, take it from someone who has played him multiple times online over the course of the last year and a half (and has been beaten by him far more than the contrary.)

On the subject of Youngjake, I'm pretty disappointed overall about that post Laga quoted as it pretty much details exactly what people were hoping doubles wouldn't bring to SPL (from what I can gather, anyways.) Shit like this is probably going to drive people to not want keep any form of doubles (whether it be VGC or Smogdubs) in SPL, which would be a shame for us who actually want to give this a shot. Now, am I a saint that exemplifies this? No, not in the least (I lost my patience a few posts above and made an ill-advised keyboard pirate snip, arr), but take the dose of hypocrisy from someone who's been around and trying to keep doubles moving in the right direction for a while. It really sucks to see something like this happen in the spotlight, and it's especially disappointing having it come from someone who squeaked onto a roster who's trying to promote himself by calling out arguably the best player in Smogdubs.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
Sorry, players that want to learn the meta would rather read a comprehensive text than a "omg I'm best ur retard". Also, you're forgetting that you would have a half health and maybe burned Bisharp and that my other move of choice on Jirachi was Trick Room, effectively paralysing skymin with Jirachi, KOing Bisharp with toed (sucker punch wouldn't kill) and then still having full health Manaphy and Thundurus. I just choked, I didn't need Politoed and the safest move was Scald, I just didn't play to my set's full power, instead I was thinking like a ladder match.

I played worse because I choked, that's true. But not only you could lose, you were going to lose, I lost all this by myself, so calm down and enjoy giving a win to your team with any sportmanship you may have somewhere around.
i think it's great you realised how you lost. part of becoming a better battler is understanding your mistakes. but it sounds from your posts like you're giving your opponent no credit for capitalising on your misplays or even for playing at all... saying 'lost to joim gg' is a pretty obnoxious way of saying the simple thing, posting 'lost' and moving on. imo blingas was not that disrespectful, bc if someone posted this to me i'd post back 10 x lines of 'lolololo'.

part of performing well in tournaments is focused high level thinking which makes it different from whatever fun games you do, and if you are going to make you blundering away a supposedly won position sound like an excuse for losing on par with being haxed terribly like you somehow managed in that post, you should maybe reconsider playing pokemon in tournaments!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, from his behaviour to his nicknames passing by insults like "retard" is what I'd call being disrespectful.

I meant no offense, simply I'm sure I was on a winning position on that turn if I had done my first move choices (Scald Bisharp and TR on rachi), so I was upset at myself for choking like a little baby in the middle of the sea and just throwing off the match to the dustbin, thus "lost to Joim", just laughing at my own mistakes (from which I expect to learn).

I didn't want to belittle anyone with my post, I just feel that after that big mistake Blingas had really no way to lose (besides forfeiting or doing weird stuff like switching) as opposite to one turn earlier, he obviously did the right moves after that and thus won, but I still think the main blame is on me, I feel that my missplay weighed more, just that.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
This losing to timer case happens every year, and every year it's the same. The team with the timer winner forces their man to take his win because winning is the only thing that matters when it's all said and done. The timer winner is then trashed by his critics, all of whom are teammates and supporters of the timer loser, for being a pussy by taking an easy win. Why would youngjake93 not take an easy win and why should he even care about what the Crys said? Of course they're mad because it's not a man of theirs who wins easily via timeout. Had the situation been reserved, the Crys would force R to take his easy breezy win too. So don't be all self-righteous when you know you would have nailed that hole in a heartbeat if you had the timer winner's opening.

For a player on a team called the "Classiests", youngjake93 showed anything but class by taking an undeserving win. I can understand why the Crys are pissed off at youngjake93 and his classless team. You play Pokemon, emphasis on the word play, not clicking on a timer and having your entire team spam nonsensical bullshit on the server to lag your opponent out and forcing him to lose via timeout. Show some heart and better yet, some sportsmanship. Winning isn't everything, "you talentless, good for nothing, and classless piece of trash."

I rest my case.

Last edited:

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
The convo between Youngjake and Randy is over now plz. Yondie tried to end it a while ago, and i'm ending it now. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)