Smogon Premier League X: UU Discussion

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Writing from my phone, so excuse me for the poor formatting/any blatant error I fail to catch.

I'll preface this post by admitting that I'm a little disappointed with this thread's lack of activity so far. Don't interpret this as me trying to pinpoint the blame onto anybody, as it's rare of me to post my thoughts as well, which makes me a culprit too, but I wish there was just a little more activity over here :psysad: Props to Adaam for being the man and providing his insight on the games that have happened so far, I highly appreciate reading what you have to say, even if last week's games weren't particularly eventful for the most part.

If for some reason you have anything to say but don't "deem" yourself "worthy" of "commenting" the games of "SPL level players" (note: I don't actually know if this is a real issue, but it wouldn't be the first nor the last time something like this went on): fuck that. You don't need to be the very best to express your thoughts on something, and even if there's a couple bad apples who have a hard time taking other people's less positive opinions, most of us legitimately love the attention and the insight others offer us. So if you want to post, just go ahead and do so. If I recall correctly, SilvioGuacamole was doing Youtube coverage for some of the UU games this SPL on Dokkerich's channel, so I'd like to see you post whatever you have so far :psyglad:

As for my own thoughts, I promised I would at least comment on my own games, and since it isn't convenient for me to go through every single replay at the moment to refresh my memory, I'll just go over my own stuff and add onto my thoughts if I stumble upon anything else worth adding later. Before that though, I really have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in how Pak vs. bugzinator turned out. I've gotten to witness both of these guys' growth as Pokemon players throughout these last couple of years, so this was something I was really looking forward to on a personal level. I think HO had a pretty decent match up all things considered due to how easy it is to chip Infernape down for either Bisharp or Scizor to run away with the game (assuming Life Orb + Bug Bite on Scizor, which absolutely wrecks the mushroom). However, a pretty poor early game sequence where magnetism led our boy bugzinator to lead with Froslass into sacrificing his Kommo-o (which, for reference, was up against a team with no Fairy-type Pokemon) for Stealth Rock made this winning scenario a lot harder to achieve, while Pak himself wasn't lacking in tools to achieve the win after this (IMO) misstep. Remember kids, greed is bad. The rest of the game isn't really worth commenting upon due to how much luck ended up influencing the outcome, but it would've been pretty fun to watch Pak maneuver around all those threats with Intimidate and Amoonguss in a clean game. Besides that, we got to see Adrenaline Orb making its SPL UU debut in this game! This is a set up with a ton of untapped potential that allows threats to work their way around Choice Scarf Krookodile, being particularly potent on Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Azelf (which was used against me later on. I'm assuming Mana had some influence in this, so I'd like to urge you to comment on it a little). It's definitely going to be harder to pull off with the surprise factor out of the way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it at least one more time throughout the season.

As for my own games (check the replays above in Adaam's post), I'm really happy with how the match up against Christo went down, as it ended up being pretty tight with a bunch of close calls and small details that ended up playing a major role in the outcome. I brought a pretty standard team with a bunch of techs that I was expecting to catch my opponent off guard with. Block Mega Slowbro isn't an unknown set by any means, but it tends to be pretty mean to more passive teams (especially against non-Roar Empoleon), and even in quick paced games it still serves as a top notch pivot and check to physically offensive threats. Life Orb Swords Dance Scizor and Krookodile aid in the offense match up, while offensive Rotom-H and Heal Bell Diancie assist with overcoming bulkier teams.

I ended up leading with Rotom because it is able to secure a Volt Switch or another hit on any Pokemon that isn't Hydreigon (which I have a clear counter to) or a potential Psychium Z Azelf (in which case I still have Slowbro for Mamoswine). It also covers the potential Suicide Lead Azelf, though the odds of that were pretty low, as Christo's team isn't structured like a standard HO and some of his Pokemon are actually really prone to having hazards removed on. The first couple turns reveal two important pieces of info: Hydreigon is unlikely to be Choice Scarf and Mamoswine is the team's Stealth Rock setter. The latter was obvious and only required confirmation, while the former can also be a smart play on Christo's part by not U-turning on the obvious switch, but looking at his team structure, he can (sort of) afford to drop speed with Scizor + Manectric (also, Azelf itself could be Choice Scarf as well), while any (Toxic) Spikes setter causes a world of pain to that team without reliable hazard removal.

From there, I manage to put Mamoswine on a timer by catching it with Toxic and successfully predict around the Primarina. I clicked Block on turn 8 because, the way I saw it, Slowbro only became necessary in this match up if Christo managed to get a Nasty Plot off with Azelf safely with the rest of my team chipped. Otherwise, I have Rotom for Mamoswine and Diancie itself can chip a potential Adrenaline Orb Azelf into Bullet Punch range, while the rest of his team all possesses the ability to damage Slowbro significantly, with Hydreigon being as close as it gets to a perfect switch in. With that in mind, Block covers two scenarios: Psychic predicting an aggressive double switch and a switch out to one of his Slowbro answers. Manectric has no business coming in on a potential attack with Scizor on the loose (and the reason why him going to his Scizor would almost never work goes without saying), so using that move lets me guarantee a switch into my eventual answer without risking a loss of momentum that an aggressive switch on Christo's part would cause if I click Scald and then switch out.

After that, his Mamoswine can't switch directly onto Diancie, while Primarina takes a decent amount from Moonblast and risks having its special attack dropped. I was actually expecting Scizor to come out, and Tentacruel gives me a free Rapid Spin as opposed to switching to Rotom-H there. I end up catching Primarina and clicking Rapid Spin anyway, which still puts me in a fairly favorable position. The sequence that follows could be classified as a misplay on my part, as both Krookodile and Slowbro are safer switches into Psychic there. I was actually expecting a double switch to Hydreigon, since it covers both of my other Psychic switches and guarantees a Roost for him, which could be detrimental to my end game planning, but forcing myself onto mind games against his own Scizor was probably not optimal, even if I came out on top of it in the end. Christo manages to get Hydreigon in agressively as I Roost and secures the Defog into the Mamoswine switch in on Diancie, netting us both hazards once again. Rotom-H on Mamoswine with Hydreigon at a low HP % means that I pretty much guarantee a kill into a Volt Switch, putting me extremely ahead in the grand scheme of things. Primarina coming in right after forces me to sacrifice a Pokemon to a Torrent boosted Water-type attack. Even though Tentacruel would be the natural course of action, I've already explained briefly why I considered Slowbro to be disposable in this particular match up, while the combination of Manectric + Scizor + Azelf was shaping up to be extremely menacing with Stealth Rock up on both sides, considering that my Rotom is offensive and Tentacruel is at a low HP percentage. Therefore, I ended up doing sacrificing both Pokemon, which puts me in a better position against his VoltTurn core.

The next couple of turns play out more or less as I had been planning up until that point: Offensive Rotom-H pressures every single Pokemon effectively from there, and I can actually afford going to Krookodile on Rotom's Volt Switches, as that won't trigger Azelf's potential item. Even if he gets Azelf in safely, Diancie can always tank a hit and weaken it for Scizor, while Mamoswine into Stealth Rock on his part lets Rotom-H get yet another kill into a Volt Switch to one of my threats bar some 500 IQ outplays with regular Manectric. I was expecting this to be a linear end game, but a timely critical hit on my Rotom-H forces me to think a little harder about closing the game off. Since my Krookodile had Crunch, it was slightly easier to set it up for an eventual win, as the combination of Stealth Rock + Life Orb-boosted Bullet Punches can put it in range for a sweep. I don't remember the calculations anymore, but IIRC Christo could've pulled it back by getting every single prediction with his remaining Pokemon right, though Krookodile being at full HP and my Scizor being faster and outside of Choice Band Superpower range means that his only way out was getting Azelf in on my Krookodile switch in (if Manectric and Scizor switch out on the same turn, he gets the Adrenaline Orb boost), hitting it with Dazzling Gleam and threatening to U-turn with his Choice Band Scizor, which would mean that Flamethrower/Overheat into Scizor Bullet Punch won bar a Overheat miss. This never ended up coming into play, as Christo ends up going to Scizor on Bullet Punch, but it was much tighter than it looked, as I didn't have a guaranteed win until that turn. gg!

Disclaimer: Fairly high chance that I'm misremembering all potential options for the last couple of turns and my analysis isn't entirely on point, but this should cover most of my thought process regardless.

---

As for the Lycans game, I ended up going over some of the most glaring turns in the UU Discord right after it happened. I already wrote a lot, but I promised I would go over the Silvally-Fairy pick, so I'll do that at least to end this post.

I'll start by explaining something that would be a little complicated for a spectator to get, as it involves information only I had access to: it seems like some people believe that I switched my Silvally in on Togekiss despite being slower. The truth is that my spread comfortably passes 284 speed, and Lycans ended up having a Choice Scarf on that. The reason why this was my primary switch in was because, due to the lack of Heal Bell on that team, I had to scout for Thunder Wave before sending Aerodactyl in. Silvally is the only Pokemon on my team that can do this without conceding a free turn to Nasty Plot Togekiss. I was also banking on his Hydreigon being unable to OHKO Bisharp, which would set me up for a slightly better (albeit unfavorable still) end game. As you all know, this ended up backfiring royally, but with what little information I had, I believe it was still the optimal course of action (though I could have switched Silvally out after the first Air Slash instead of going for Parting Shot). This information is also what caused me to Roost with Mega Aerodactyl on Togekiss later on in the game, as banking on the chance of that not having Thunder Wave meant that I could switch out of Choice Band Scizor Pursuit later without risking the game on a 50/50. This did NOT work, unfortunately, but I don't think it was a baseless call, even in hindsight.

As for Silvally itself, I was attempting to build a team around Bisharp that wasn't hyper offense. After multiple attempts and different combinations, I was stuck on a team that had 5 Pokemon I was happy with that needed both a Fairy-type and hazard removal. Although I could've gone with Florges (and that probably would have won me the game LOL), I was expecting a more offensive team choice coming from Lycans, akin to what he ended up using against Sage in his Week 2 match. With that in mind, Silvally is a Fairy-type Pokemon that doesn't concede free turns to any of the Pokemon that poeple traditionally use to abuse this archetype of 'Mons, since it has the speed and movepool to either scare things away or Parting Shot out to the proper check safely. Plus, it is 1 of the few Pokemon that can remove Kommo-o's Stealth Rock with very little risk involved, which further adds onto its small niche. Although it was not successful in my game, I still have a little faith in this thing's viability and would love if more people experimented around with it, as it actually served me well in the multiple test games I played with it.

I'll try to post more regularly throughout the tournament. Cheers :blobpex:

Writing from my phone, so excuse me for the poor formatting/any blatant error I fail to catch.

I'll preface this post by admitting that I'm a little disappointed with this thread's lack of activity so far. Don't interpret this as me trying to pinpoint the blame onto anybody, as it's rare of me to post my thoughts as well, which makes me a culprit too, but I wish there was just a little more activity over here :psysad: Props to Adaam for being the man and providing his insight on the games that have happened so far, I highly appreciate reading what you have to say, even if last week's games weren't particularly eventful for the most part.

If for some reason you have anything to say but don't "deem" yourself "worthy" of "commenting" the games of "SPL level players" (note: I don't actually know if this is a real issue, but it wouldn't be the first nor the last time something like this went on): fuck that. You don't need to be the very best to express your thoughts on something, and even if there's a couple bad apples who have a hard time taking other people's less positive opinions, most of us legitimately love the attention and the insight others offer us. So if you want to post, just go ahead and do so. If I recall correctly, SilvioGuacamole was doing Youtube coverage for some of the UU games this SPL on Dokkerich's channel, so I'd like to see you post whatever you have so far :psyglad:

As for my own thoughts, I promised I would at least comment on my own games, and since it isn't convenient for me to go through every single replay at the moment to refresh my memory, I'll just go over my own stuff and add onto my thoughts if I stumble upon anything else worth adding later. Before that though, I really have to say that I'm pretty disappointed in how Pak vs. bugzinator turned out. I've gotten to witness both of these guys' growth as Pokemon players throughout these last couple of years, so this was something I was really looking forward to on a personal level. I think HO had a pretty decent match up all things considered due to how easy it is to chip Infernape down for either Bisharp or Scizor to run away with the game (assuming Life Orb + Bug Bite on Scizor, which absolutely wrecks the mushroom). However, a pretty poor early game sequence where magnetism led our boy bugzinator to lead with Froslass into sacrificing his Kommo-o (which, for reference, was up against a team with no Fairy-type Pokemon) for Stealth Rock made this winning scenario a lot harder to achieve, while Pak himself wasn't lacking in tools to achieve the win after this (IMO) misstep. Remember kids, greed is bad. The rest of the game isn't really worth commenting upon due to how much luck ended up influencing the outcome, but it would've been pretty fun to watch Pak maneuver around all those threats with Intimidate and Amoonguss in a clean game. Besides that, we got to see Adrenaline Orb making its SPL UU debut in this game! This is a set up with a ton of untapped potential that allows threats to work their way around Choice Scarf Krookodile, being particularly potent on Calm Mind Latias and Nasty Plot Azelf (which was used against me later on. I'm assuming Mana had some influence in this, so I'd like to urge you to comment on it a little). It's definitely going to be harder to pull off with the surprise factor out of the way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it at least one more time throughout the season.

As for my own games (check the replays above in Adaam's post), I'm really happy with how the match up against Christo went down, as it ended up being pretty tight with a bunch of close calls and small details that ended up playing a major role in the outcome. I brought a pretty standard team with a bunch of techs that I was expecting to catch my opponent off guard with. Block Mega Slowbro isn't an unknown set by any means, but it tends to be pretty mean to more passive teams (especially against non-Roar Empoleon), and even in quick paced games it still serves as a top notch pivot and check to physically offensive threats. Life Orb Swords Dance Scizor and Krookodile aid in the offense match up, while offensive Rotom-H and Heal Bell Diancie assist with overcoming bulkier teams.

I ended up leading with Rotom because it is able to secure a Volt Switch or another hit on any Pokemon that isn't Hydreigon (which I have a clear counter to) or a potential Psychium Z Azelf (in which case I still have Slowbro for Mamoswine). It also covers the potential Suicide Lead Azelf, though the odds of that were pretty low, as Christo's team isn't structured like a standard HO and some of his Pokemon are actually really prone to having hazards removed on. The first couple turns reveal two important pieces of info: Hydreigon is unlikely to be Choice Scarf and Mamoswine is the team's Stealth Rock setter. The latter was obvious and only required confirmation, while the former can also be a smart play on Christo's part by not U-turning on the obvious switch, but looking at his team structure, he can (sort of) afford to drop speed with Scizor + Manectric (also, Azelf itself could be Choice Scarf as well), while any (Toxic) Spikes setter causes a world of pain to that team without reliable hazard removal.

From there, I manage to put Mamoswine on a timer by catching it with Toxic and successfully predict around the Primarina. I clicked Block on turn 8 because, the way I saw it, Slowbro only became necessary in this match up if Christo managed to get a Nasty Plot off with Azelf safely with the rest of my team chipped. Otherwise, I have Rotom for Mamoswine and Diancie itself can chip a potential Adrenaline Orb Azelf into Bullet Punch range, while the rest of his team all possesses the ability to damage Slowbro significantly, with Hydreigon being as close as it gets to a perfect switch in. With that in mind, Block covers two scenarios: Psychic predicting an aggressive double switch and a switch out to one of his Slowbro answers. Manectric has no business coming in on a potential attack with Scizor on the loose (and the reason why him going to his Scizor would almost never work goes without saying), so using that move lets me guarantee a switch into my eventual answer without risking a loss of momentum that an aggressive switch on Christo's part would cause if I click Scald and then switch out.

After that, his Mamoswine can't switch directly onto Diancie, while Primarina takes a decent amount from Moonblast and risks having its special attack dropped. I was actually expecting Scizor to come out, and Tentacruel gives me a free Rapid Spin as opposed to switching to Rotom-H there. I end up catching Primarina and clicking Rapid Spin anyway, which still puts me in a fairly favorable position. The sequence that follows could be classified as a misplay on my part, as both Krookodile and Slowbro are safer switches into Psychic there. I was actually expecting a double switch to Hydreigon, since it covers both of my other Psychic switches and guarantees a Roost for him, which could be detrimental to my end game planning, but forcing myself onto mind games against his own Scizor was probably not optimal, even if I came out on top of it in the end. Christo manages to get Hydreigon in agressively as I Roost and secures the Defog into the Mamoswine switch in on Diancie, netting us both hazards once again. Rotom-H on Mamoswine with Hydreigon at a low HP % means that I pretty much guarantee a kill into a Volt Switch, putting me extremely ahead in the grand scheme of things. Primarina coming in right after forces me to sacrifice a Pokemon to a Torrent boosted Water-type attack. Even though Tentacruel would be the natural course of action, I've already explained briefly why I considered Slowbro to be disposable in this particular match up, while the combination of Manectric + Scizor + Azelf was shaping up to be extremely menacing with Stealth Rock up on both sides, considering that my Rotom is offensive and Tentacruel is at a low HP percentage. Therefore, I ended up doing sacrificing both Pokemon, which puts me in a better position against his VoltTurn core.

The next couple of turns play out more or less as I had been planning up until that point: Offensive Rotom-H pressures every single Pokemon effectively from there, and I can actually afford going to Krookodile on Rotom's Volt Switches, as that won't trigger Azelf's potential item. Even if he gets Azelf in safely, Diancie can always tank a hit and weaken it for Scizor, while Mamoswine into Stealth Rock on his part lets Rotom-H get yet another kill into a Volt Switch to one of my threats bar some 500 IQ outplays with regular Manectric. I was expecting this to be a linear end game, but a timely critical hit on my Rotom-H forces me to think a little harder about closing the game off. Since my Krookodile had Crunch, it was slightly easier to set it up for an eventual win, as the combination of Stealth Rock + Life Orb-boosted Bullet Punches can put it in range for a sweep. I don't remember the calculations anymore, but IIRC Christo could've pulled it back by getting every single prediction with his remaining Pokemon right, though Krookodile being at full HP and my Scizor being faster and outside of Choice Band Superpower range means that his only way out was getting Azelf in on my Krookodile switch in (if Manectric and Scizor switch out on the same turn, he gets the Adrenaline Orb boost), hitting it with Dazzling Gleam and threatening to U-turn with his Choice Band Scizor, which would mean that Flamethrower/Overheat into Scizor Bullet Punch won bar a Overheat miss. This never ended up coming into play, as Christo ends up going to Scizor on Bullet Punch, but it was much tighter than it looked, as I didn't have a guaranteed win until that turn. gg!

Disclaimer: Fairly high chance that I'm misremembering all potential options for the last couple of turns and my analysis isn't entirely on point, but this should cover most of my thought process regardless.

---

As for the Lycans game, I ended up going over some of the most glaring turns in the UU Discord right after it happened. I already wrote a lot, but I promised I would go over the Silvally-Fairy pick, so I'll do that at least to end this post.

I'll start by explaining something that would be a little complicated for a spectator to get, as it involves information only I had access to: it seems like some people believe that I switched my Silvally in on Togekiss despite being slower. The truth is that my spread comfortably passes 284 speed, and Lycans ended up having a Choice Scarf on that. The reason why this was my primary switch in was because, due to the lack of Heal Bell on that team, I had to scout for Thunder Wave before sending Aerodactyl in. Silvally is the only Pokemon on my team that can do this without conceding a free turn to Nasty Plot Togekiss. I was also banking on his Hydreigon being unable to OHKO Bisharp, which would set me up for a slightly better (albeit unfavorable still) end game. As you all know, this ended up backfiring royally, but with what little information I had, I believe it was still the optimal course of action (though I could have switched Silvally out after the first Air Slash instead of going for Parting Shot). This information is also what caused me to Roost with Mega Aerodactyl on Togekiss later on in the game, as banking on the chance of that not having Thunder Wave meant that I could switch out of Choice Band Scizor Pursuit later without risking the game on a 50/50. This did NOT work, unfortunately, but I don't think it was a baseless call, even in hindsight.

As for Silvally itself, I was attempting to build a team around Bisharp that wasn't hyper offense. After multiple attempts and different combinations, I was stuck on a team that had 5 Pokemon I was happy with that needed both a Fairy-type and hazard removal. Although I could've gone with Florges (and that probably would have won me the game LOL), I was expecting a more offensive team choice coming from Lycans, akin to what he ended up using against Sage in his Week 2 match. With that in mind, Silvally is a Fairy-type Pokemon that doesn't concede free turns to any of the Pokemon that poeple traditionally use to abuse this archetype of 'Mons, since it has the speed and movepool to either scare things away or Parting Shot out to the proper check safely. Plus, it is 1 of the few Pokemon that can remove Kommo-o's Stealth Rock with very little risk involved, which further adds onto its small niche. Although it was not successful in my game, I still have a little faith in this thing's viability and would love if more people experimented around with it, as it actually served me well in the multiple test games I played with it.

I'll try to post more regularly throughout the tournament. Cheers :blobpex:
Haha please shut the fuck up. Do you think I have any kind of control over the luck that happens in my matches? Nah I don't, but I'd do it all again if I had the chance. You wanna be a bitch and complain about it "not being a good match" then go ahead, but no matter how much you whine it wont change what happened, so get it right fucking up you. I'd love to just fuckin freeze you and laugh in your pathetic face after winning. Easiest game of my life. 2-0 motherfuckers.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
OP is fully updated with replays and current player standings if you are interested. :toast:

There were some great games week 2. Pearl vs. Christo was the one I enjoyed most. It was very competitive and came down to the wire. Enjoyed Pearls post and the techs he used. A little hax from Bugz and Lycans but not much you can do there. They are both good players and hax is just part of the game. I've been rooting for Harris since he got to make his SPL debut. Getting matched up versus Sub Roost Kyurem was definitely bad for him. Despite that he played well pressuring it with Mega Aerodactyl as much as he could and made the game competitive. Edi0n is 0-2 but both of those losses were in very close games. Despite having a losing record I think Edi0n has played well and proved he deserves his spot in SPL. I've really enjoyed watching Rob play because he's brought two great teams and played flawlessly so far. A very competitive line up of players this SPL and I am pretty excited to see the next 7 weeks of games.

Last edited:
Alright I'll give my thoughts on the games.

So the only game so far in week 3 was Harris vs Pak so I'll talk about this one and if people like it I'll do a review of every game.

Harris -

Versus

Pak -

Okay so taking a look at the team preview.

Harris decided to go away from the Amoongus + Krook core that he ran the first two weeks (after HT exploited that last week with the Sub Kyurem) and brought a slightly more offensive build. No real obvious sets beside maybe defensive Primarina and MegaMane with 4th move toxic maybe? I would guess its toxic but its never revealed during the game. It look like physical Infernape based on the build since he always had 4 special attackers. So rock options are Nidoking or Infernape, leaning toward Infernape being defensive with the rocks to help with the Scizor match up. Looks like a possible Z Scizor I would guess but we never find out during the game either. It could be Z Hyrda but Harris has brought a scarf dark type the last two weeks so I would say its safe to say Hydra is scarf with defog. It's defog for sure because it cant be defog Zor on this build because he needs the move slot for physical offensive pressure but maybe i was wrong. So looks like Nidoking is probably four attacks maybe or sub three attacks, either is possible. Could also be mixed with superpower for blissey and to help break for MegaMane + Specs Prima. Overall a nice offensive build, hard to prep versus Pak because he has brought some interesting teams the first two weeks.

Pak again brings some fire with Roserade, which I really thought was going to be Psychic-Z because Harris kept bringing Amoongus. At the same time it's possible that it was specially defensive to form a defensive backbone with Gligar. Pak brought Gligar before so that's probably just standard. MegaMane too, I think this one would be HP Ice looking at the team but I cant remember if it was shown during the game. I feel like Roserade is offensive so maybe thats a defensive Primarina but it never comes out during the game so not sure, could easily be Specs as well since that seems to be the favored set recently. So Pak brought Scarf Scizor before but I'm not sure he would try that again since it's a bit of a surprise factor thing but it turns out I'm wrong and he brought it for the second time. It's 100% pursuit for Latias since he has Roserade and MegaMane which both dont like Latias very much. Kommo-o looks like rocks and probably flamethrower for Scizor. Overall another really cool team from Pak, pretty good prep, looks like he was ready for a Primarina match up.

Okay so match up looks pretty even, lots of volt-turn going on for both teams. Since they are both more offensive builds if someone gets good momentum going it could be a wrap pretty fast. Both Primarinas can just kill things if they are specs and can get in and get predictions right. Not a lot of things that can heal themselves so chip can matter with the U-turns. Both MegaManes are a threat as well if they are HP Ice since HP Ice 2hkos both Nidoking and Gligar. So with that said lets get into the game!

Leads -

Harris leads Hydra which is decent. It's probably scarf so it can U-turn if he gets a bad match up. I'm guessing he was expecting maybe the Kommo-o to come out.

Pak leads Roserade, so he was probably expecting the Primarina and thats a safe lead because if Harris leads Primarina and it's specs something on Paks team is about to take a chunk or just die.

So I'm just going to talk about important turns because I dont want to take forever talking about every turn.

So Turn 1 - Pak is absolutely insane, imo, turn one and sends his Scizor out. I guess he was confident that Harris either wasent running Fire blast or he wouldnt even click it right there.

Like 252 SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Roserade: 226-266 (86.5 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Harris could have just risked that and blown away Scizor turn 1.

I would actually love to hear what Pak was thinking this turn because best case scenario for him Harris U-turns, which is what happens.
So Pak going Primarina would be really bad for him because Nidoking would come in for free (off the U-turn) and probably just claims something. So that was a good decision not to go into Prima but he goes Scizor which gives Infernape for free. So I guess Pak thought that trading rocks for momentum was worth it or he thought that Infernape wasent the rocker.

Either way works out fine for both players.

Turn 3 - Good info on turn 3 as we see that Infernape AND Kommo-o are both rocky helmet so U-turn just got more dangerous for both teams. They also trade rocks and that chip can be important was well.

Turn 4/5 - Just a small thing right here but lots of info gained. Not banded Scizor damage on that U-Turn but it's 252 Attack and thats a defensive Primarina so probably no Psychic.

Turn 6 - So Roserade gets in. Harris is expecting a STAB move it looks like but Pak makes a good play and sleep powders. That's actually so bad for Harris because it really hurts his ability to get momentum with U-Turn. Not only that but he cant stay in now because an HP Fire could be coming so he cant even burn a sleep turn.

Turn 7 - Pak makes a nice play here and knows Harris wont risk the Scizor and just drops his Z which ends up being Z-Poison. That would have killed every single thing on Harris's team, I think it even kills Nidoking after rocks so goodnight Hydra. Harris might have expected that and sacked Hydra because he thought it was least useful.

At this point Harris is way in the back because two of his U-turners are basically gone (asleep/dead) and as I said earlier momentum wins this game. Now Harris is going to have a rough time getting momentum back in his favor.

Turn 9 - This turn was Harris's chance to get back into the game. I know i have the foresight of knowing what happens but the game was getting away from Harris here and he basically needed to get 2 kills here with his Nidoking.

If the Roserade had leaf storm I guess it didnt matter in the long run but I just thought that was the turn to try to make a play and earth power the Scizor on switch in.

Turn 13 - If Harris had HP Ice that would have been the turn to go for it but it looks like he doesn't have it.

Turn 17 - Now we see the HP fire from Roserade and thats pretty much the game. Roserade is at 25% so it was two more switch ins and Harris's MegaMane cant do anything to Gligar. On top of that Pak has HP Ice on his MegaMane so Nidoking just dies to that.

Summery - The play that blew the game open was the sleep powder on Scizor followed by the Z move. Harris had a tough time dealing with Roserade and Pak exploited that. I thought that turn 9/10 was basically the nail in the coffin for Harris when we saw the scarf Scizor come out again with the pursuit. I thought overall it was a pretty good game. I think Pak brought another sweet team and that really helped him because his niche mons and sets gave been giving him advantages every week. I thought Harris also played fine. I thought that he should have played more aggressively the first few turns to try to get his Nidoking out there early but even with that being said I dont think he made any huge mistakes.

Also Harris I know this is your first SPL and I know sometimes the nerves get to you (not you specificly, I mean like every player at some point) and stuff like that but hey man you know I'm rooting for you every week and I cant wait to see you get your first win.

So yeah that's all I got. Hope that was a decent review, I know I'm not a huge name in the community but I'm ancient on this site so I like to think I know a bit about battling hah

PS Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes.

PPS You're welcome Pearl

Last edited:
Something I noticed is how limited the Clanger's explosive play ability has been. Sad to see individuals just sacking it like it isn't the greatest pokemon this tier has ever seen.

As for the players themselves, I've been loving how Rob has played so far to continue his great run of form in the UU tier. Harris has struggled a bit, but that's always to be expected in your first major team tour and he has shown the same ability that we saw throughout his great Grand Slam run.

Highlight matchup this week (yeah I know I'm late) is Sage vs Pearl and this should be even more interesting when taking into account how they've both started this tour. They're two of the top players this tier has and they're both gonna be looking to move on from what by their standards will be seen as slow starts to this tournament. Idk who's gonna win, but if they use the clanger I will surely be stealing both teams so I ask that they just send me the paste in discord and save me the trouble.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
was gonna recap the game myself but your recap was fine, I'll just go into a bit more (read: a lot) detail of what I think was going on t1.

Turn 1 - Both players are trying to actively avoid rly bad early sequences. Pak does not want this Roserade dead or chipped into rocks range as he has 3 means of putting damage on Nidoking (Kommo relies on a tie and might not have been fully invested given it was helmet) and only Roserade can deal with it at >60% due to Scizor being scarfed.

If Hydreigon U-Turns out of Primarina into Nidoking then Pak is forced into a pretty horrible situation where he can't really let Primarina go as it makes Hydreigon become a much bigger nuisance, but if Nidoking were to sub that hands huge early initiative to Harris. Even if it doesn't sub it's a rly bad position.

On Harris' end, he doesn't really want to Fire Blast into what you have to assume was a Specs Primarina, as then t2 he's in a super horrible position where Pak can legitimately justify clicking either STAB which almost certainly means something is going down. U-Turning out of Rose as it attacks would be bad too but Pak rly doesn't want to risk losing that t1 so that's an unlikely scenario.

I would assume Pak went to Scizor pretty sound in the belief that Harris wouldn't Fire Blast due to the threat of Primarina, but in case he did go for it, he was more ok with losing Scizor than Rose. Scizor did end up doing work later in the match but didn't look fantastic from preview on Pak's side, as he knew it was scarfed. If Hydreigon U-Turns as Scizor comes in, Harris is far more likely to send out Mane or Infernape rather than risk taking a potential CB Bullet Punch on Nidoking. While HP Ice Mane could've been a threat, Pak has more room in dealing with these compared to having Nidoking vs Primarina t2.

tl;dr Pak wasn't going to throw Roserade, but doesn't want Nidoking vs his Primarina t2
Worst case scenario: Losing Scizor > losing Roserade , Best case: Hydreigon U-Turns out of Scizor, Harris gets initial momentum
Harris doesn't want Hydreigon vs Pak's Primarina t2, Rose almost always switches there so he keeps the momentum in his favour anyway.

I feel like I might've overanalysed the hell out of this, but it was interesting considering all the different things that could've been going on that turn and hopefully got close to some of the reasoning behind the t1 moves.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Week 3 vs Harris
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-422187

Loose Plan: So I was honestly pretty scared at preview. Before I hit accept I was praying I wouldn't see a Nidoking with that team, especially in combination with momentum gaining goons, which is exactly what I saw. It outright abuses my Primarina, Gligar, and even Kommo-o if it comes in safely on them, and additionally, the only middle ground I have vs Nidoking is my scarf Sciz. A potential HP Ice Manectric was also worrisome as well as a Specs Primarina since it walled my Kommo-o and I have shitty middle grounds against Psychic. Piecing together the Hydreigon, Infernape, and Scizor sets at preview was pretty tough too, and unfortunately, no matter which of the former 2 had scarf didn't really matter since they would both give Nidoking free turns on my pivots. On my end, Roserade looked really really good. If I got it in on Primarina fairly safely, Sleep Powder is always a really free move in such scenarios then I could go from there. Ultimately, since my team doesn't have a clear wincon and generally relies on overwhelming the opponent, I've mostly played by ear while using it and just tried to maintain momentum as best I could. But when it came to winning this specific game, it seemed my way of winning would be cleaning with Manectric after Roserade and maybe my Specs Primarina put in some work offensively.

Basically: don't let Nidoking into obvious favorable matchups, try to win with my Mega Manectric

Turn 1:
was gonna recap the game myself but your recap was fine, I'll just go into a bit more (read: a lot) detail of what I think was going on t1.

Turn 1 - Both players are trying to actively avoid rly bad early sequences. Pak does not want this Roserade dead or chipped into rocks range as he has 3 means of putting damage on Nidoking (Kommo relies on a tie and might not have been fully invested given it was helmet) and only Roserade can deal with it at >60% due to Scizor being scarfed.

If Hydreigon U-Turns out of Primarina into Nidoking then Pak is forced into a pretty horrible situation where he can't really let Primarina go as it makes Hydreigon become a much bigger nuisance, but if Nidoking were to sub that hands huge early initiative to Harris. Even if it doesn't sub it's a rly bad position.

On Harris' end, he doesn't really want to Fire Blast into what you have to assume was a Specs Primarina, as then t2 he's in a super horrible position where Pak can legitimately justify clicking either STAB which almost certainly means something is going down. U-Turning out of Rose as it attacks would be bad too but Pak rly doesn't want to risk losing that t1 so that's an unlikely scenario.

I would assume Pak went to Scizor pretty sound in the belief that Harris wouldn't Fire Blast due to the threat of Primarina, but in case he did go for it, he was more ok with losing Scizor than Rose. Scizor did end up doing work later in the match but didn't look fantastic from preview on Pak's side, as he knew it was scarfed. If Hydreigon U-Turns as Scizor comes in, Harris is far more likely to send out Mane or Infernape rather than risk taking a potential CB Bullet Punch on Nidoking. While HP Ice Mane could've been a threat, Pak has more room in dealing with these compared to having Nidoking vs Primarina t2.

tl;dr Pak wasn't going to throw Roserade, but doesn't want Nidoking vs his Primarina t2
Worst case scenario: Losing Scizor > losing Roserade , Best case: Hydreigon U-Turns out of Scizor, Harris gets initial momentum
Harris doesn't want Hydreigon vs Pak's Primarina t2, Rose almost always switches there so he keeps the momentum in his favour anyway.

I feel like I might've overanalysed the hell out of this, but it was interesting considering all the different things that could've been going on that turn and hopefully got close to some of the reasoning behind the t1 moves.
this

Turns 3-4: I was willing to let Primarina in for free at the cost of getting up my own rocks, so I could get a bit of chip on his fast pivots over time. Scizor didn't look incredibly helpful in this matchup, and it happened to be my only middle ground to a Specs Psychic and lived a Moonblast too. In no scenario here could I risk my Roserade. Additionally, if Primarina revealed itself to be bulky, which I couldn't assume based on team composition, then Scizor could freely U-turn out to Roserade which 100% walls and abuses that set.

Turns 6-7: As I said earlier, Sleep Powder is a really safe midground play when Roserade is in a favorable position. Sure, I could try to hard HP Fire or Z predicting Scizor or Hydreigon to come in respectively, but the momentum loss is potentially huge if I get it wrong and in a fast paced game like this, something taking a sleep and burning no turns ideally should mean it's useless for the rest of the game or risks giving up momentum to wake up. Turn 7, I just said fuck it and went for the Z. If I let Hydreigon in for free on HP Fire, I put myself at risk of being Nidoking'd, and in the long run this play really opened up my Manectric to clean. At this point I just needed some decent chip on Nidoking to make that a likely outcome.

Turns 9: Hey look, 1 shaky middle ground against Nidoking xd. I'm not sure if he calced my Kommo-o spread from the initial U-turn or the Volt the turn before, but I'm a very bulky Kommo-o with max HP and a lot of defense. With max HP, Ice Beam is actually about a 5050 roll to kill from there iirc, and Dragon Tail would accomplish the same desired task of chipping Nidoking into range of HP Ice from Mane.

Turn 10: Pursuit was pretty much always my play here. Ideally it chipped Nidoking into HP Ice range on the switch, it broke a Sub if it came down to it with Technician, and if he stayed in, that let Roserade in again to kill more mans.

Rest of the game: From here on out, I just needed to chip his Mega Manectric into Flamethrower range from mine, which shouldn't be too hard since it's his only countermeasure present to mine. His coverage was also unrevealed at this point, meaning there's no way in hell I could ever risk an Overheat against mine. His Mane eventually revealed to not have HP Ice, but my plan otherwise was to get Gligar in to block any Volt attempts, and I could take an HP Ice at near full if need be. From there, Kommo-o would force in Primarina which would allow free turns with Roserade to the point where I should comfortably close it out. Him being non HP Ice essentially removed any chance he had towards the end though.

Random things: Scarf Scizor is a legitimately good Pokemon I didn't use it here purely because of the "surprise" factor. UU has 0 fast mons with strong U-turns. Scarf Sciz fit the bill perfectly alongside Mane which appreciates the direct punishment of a Latias or non Scarf Hydreigon. Offensive synergy aside, it also makes my team ridiculously better vs goons like CM Latias and NP Celebi. Ordinarily, CB Sciz comes in on the set up, and is always at risk of getting nuked by a boosted Z move. With Scarf, you hard switch in on the set up and freely U-turn to grab a shit load of momentum.

Also it seems Roserade had a bit of ORAS syndrome this gen as well. What I mean by this is it sometimes gets pigeonholed as an offensive hazard setter, even though it has some ridiculous offensive potential. Leaf Storm/Poisonium Sludge Bomb/Technician HP Fire is kinda crazy coverage wise, especially in combination with Sleep Powder and its surprisingly really good Speed tier. You directly abuse Amoonguss, outspeed most of your middling speed breaker goons (nuking Kommo-o with Acid Downpour), and chunk the shit out of fat Steels with your pseudo Flamethrower. Overall great pick vs the type of teams I was expecting here, although generally its defensive lapses make it a bit tough to fit.

gg to harris, gl in the future

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-422614

Me vs Rob - A nice close game here with lots of good playing all round. Felt I was the deserved winner overall as Rob played pretty badly early game by not clicking his z move on Florges, but almost got bailed out by hitting 7 hurricanes in a row and dodging stone edge with Starmie. The end game sequence with Moltres on Scizor which I was mathematically favoured in deservedly went my way though, and I managed to beat the hax in the end. Gg Rob.

Shoutouts itsjustdrew for always believing in me. Couldn't have done it without you bro.

week 4 predicts:

reckon pearl will win his match but im interested to see what shiba has to offer in this tournament. it's an ideal match for shiba to open with really as everyone will take note if he manages to take down the top dog, but he definitely wont be expected to. just think that pearl is too good in all departments right now though and i expect him to put on another good show for the fans and come away with the win.

harris has generally played quite well and it's unfortunate for him that he hasn't got on the board yet as i think even for a newer player he's definitely good enough to compete at this level. it wont get any easier for him against robjr though who i rate quite highly, and think should definitely be favoured to take this one. maybe if harris turns up at his best he'll be able to break his duck this week but it's a very tough ask.

i'm a fan of sage personally, but i just can't predict against christo for this one as he always manages to pull out the win from somewhere. he's the type of player that even in a difficult position will make the series of plays needed to dig himself of out the hole, so you can never really write him off. that being said i think if sage prepares well and sticks to her game plan she has more than a fighting chance here so it should be an interesting one to see.

pak is another player that it's too hard to predict against right now so i expect him to take that match too. from what i've seen of both players i think the early part of the match will be crucial in this one as they both like to try and position themselves into great positions early on and then not let up from there. ht is more than capable of grabbing a win against anyone so i'd never write him off but just think pak will be too hot in this one.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Stats from the first three weeks are up:

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Scizor             |   14 |  46.67% |  64.29% |
| 1    | Krookodile         |   14 |  46.67% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Hydreigon          |   11 |  36.67% |  45.45% |
| 4    | Aerodactyl         |    9 |  30.00% |  44.44% |
| 4    | Rotom-Heat         |    9 |  30.00% |  44.44% |
| 6    | Latias             |    7 |  23.33% |  57.14% |
| 6    | Primarina          |    7 |  23.33% |  57.14% |
| 6    | Amoonguss          |    7 |  23.33% |  14.29% |
| 9    | Cobalion           |    6 |  20.00% |  33.33% |
| 10   | Manectric          |    5 |  16.67% |  60.00% |
| 11   | Gligar             |    4 |  13.33% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Celebi             |    4 |  13.33% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Terrakion          |    4 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 11   | Tentacruel         |    4 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 11   | Kommo-o            |    4 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 11   | Slowbro            |    4 |  13.33% |  50.00% |
| 11   | Altaria            |    4 |  13.33% |  25.00% |
| 11   | Empoleon           |    4 |  13.33% |  25.00% |
| 19   | Diancie            |    3 |  10.00% |  66.67% |
| 19   | Suicune            |    3 |  10.00% |  66.67% |
| 19   | Doublade           |    3 |  10.00% |  33.33% |
| 19   | Infernape          |    3 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Snorlax            |    2 |   6.67% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Sylveon            |    2 |   6.67% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Kyurem             |    2 |   6.67% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Moltres            |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Steelix            |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Nidoqueen          |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Nidoking           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Blastoise          |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Aggron             |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Sharpedo           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Froslass           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Bisharp            |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Togekiss           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 36   | Florges-Yellow     |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Magneton           |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Roserade           |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Volcanion          |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Klefki             |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Nihilego           |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Starmie            |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Mienshao           |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Araquanid          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Florges-Blue       |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Zygarde-10%        |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Seismitoad         |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Silvally           |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Palossand          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Azelf              |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Mamoswine          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Hippowdon          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Mantine            |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Gengar             |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Florges            |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Reuniclus          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
No major surprises. Some staples like Hippo, Klefki and Togekiss were barely used so far this tour. Krook still runs UU. Prima tying Lati in usage is interesting. Aero has once again cemented itself as far and away the most consistent Mega in the tier. People are still riding the Rotom-H train hard.

Stats from the first three weeks are up:

Code:
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Scizor             |   14 |  46.67% |  64.29% |
| 1    | Krookodile         |   14 |  46.67% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Hydreigon          |   11 |  36.67% |  45.45% |
| 4    | Aerodactyl         |    9 |  30.00% |  44.44% |
| 4    | Rotom-Heat         |    9 |  30.00% |  44.44% |
| 6    | Latias             |    7 |  23.33% |  57.14% |
| 6    | Primarina          |    7 |  23.33% |  57.14% |
| 6    | Amoonguss          |    7 |  23.33% |  14.29% |
| 9    | Cobalion           |    6 |  20.00% |  33.33% |
| 10   | Manectric          |    5 |  16.67% |  60.00% |
| 11   | Gligar             |    4 |  13.33% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Celebi             |    4 |  13.33% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Terrakion          |    4 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 11   | Tentacruel         |    4 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 11   | Kommo-o            |    4 |  13.33% |  75.00% |
| 11   | Slowbro            |    4 |  13.33% |  50.00% |
| 11   | Altaria            |    4 |  13.33% |  25.00% |
| 11   | Empoleon           |    4 |  13.33% |  25.00% |
| 19   | Diancie            |    3 |  10.00% |  66.67% |
| 19   | Suicune            |    3 |  10.00% |  66.67% |
| 19   | Doublade           |    3 |  10.00% |  33.33% |
| 19   | Infernape          |    3 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Snorlax            |    2 |   6.67% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Sylveon            |    2 |   6.67% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Kyurem             |    2 |   6.67% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Moltres            |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Steelix            |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Nidoqueen          |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Nidoking           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Blastoise          |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Aggron             |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Sharpedo           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Froslass           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Bisharp            |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Togekiss           |    2 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 36   | Florges-Yellow     |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Magneton           |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Roserade           |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Volcanion          |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Klefki             |    1 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 36   | Nihilego           |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Starmie            |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Mienshao           |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Araquanid          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Florges-Blue       |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Zygarde-10%        |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Seismitoad         |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Silvally           |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Palossand          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Azelf              |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Mamoswine          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Hippowdon          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Mantine            |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Gengar             |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Florges            |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 36   | Reuniclus          |    1 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
No major surprises. Some staples like Hippo, Klefki and Togekiss were barely used so far this tour. Krook still runs UU. Prima tying Lati in usage is interesting. Aero has once again cemented itself as far and away the most consistent Mega in the tier. People are still riding the Rotom-H train hard.
Wait... Still no Blisseys lmao

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Wait... Still no Blisseys lmao
Shiba just got freed. Expect more Blisseys in the weeks to come.

Explain to me why the clanger has only been used 4 times? I am surprised by such low usage for Terrakion. A lot of bulky builds that can be seriously threatened by that monster. I haven’t seen a lot of innovation in terms of Pokémon. A lot of cool little techs in sets especially from pearl and sage. Krookodile has definitely become the most common trapper and scarfer while Drei has fallen off a bit as it’s been used more as a z move user as of late. Scarf lati has absolutely tanked and I really only see it on hyper offense. Some really great builds so far this SPL. My favorites have been Lycans week 3 and Robs week 2 team. I’m liking the activity in the thread recently. bugzinator nice post, it was insightful.

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

Interesting to see kyurem really pulling some weight in tournament, I guess it pretty much boils down to if they don't have scizor and aren't running stall it's gonna wreck house (though as was mentioned, roar emp would have really helped out) and even with scizor HP fire isn't too rare so you can still play some mindgames.

Pleased to see Pak make SP 3 attacks roserade work, I've given it a spin with less success on ladder (although hadn't thought of poisonium z > LO which clearly showed its merits here) as I really do think it has a niche on offense as a way to not give free kills to stuff like prima and nidoking as Pak explained thanks to sleep powder which gives a lot more immediate pressure than something like celebi for example (though this also an arse-ache if you guess it's coverage wrong/don't have scarf u-turn).

Also curious about 0 zeraora. I guess mega mane is just a safer pic as a better scizor/shark/mega-aero countermeasure and krook I guess is v high usage and can always take a hit with intimidate. Tentacruel having such a high win rate (I guess only 4 uses so p small data) defo surprised me as I've always hated that mon since perma rain stopped being a thing ORAS onwards as it's such a sub-par check to everything and generates no pressure asides from the threat of t-spikes or spinning hazards but I guess I under-valued it's consistency as semi-fast hazard removal.

Definitely also appreciating the absence of blissey tho it does take a massive dump on a lot of the teams used so far.

I was 100% on my predictions last week since I correctly anticipated Pearl bringing clanger. Despite the previously mentioned user liking my comment, I am yet to receive a pokepaste with the team. I will be sure to keep the community updated on this inexcusable act by user Pearl.

In addition, with midseasons now opening up I fully expect some more UU players to be added to the pool. Keep an eye on that dude Alaan or Adaam or whatever his name is. He knows how to use the clanger and will surely destroy all these other fools that are sleeping on the best mon ever. 100% safest pick in midseason I highly recommend him, just make sure to spell his name correctly when nominating him.

Another great pick is Jytcampbell. A former Team Canada world cup hero, Jyt also had a solid performance in snake, even picking up new tiers along the way in order to help his team compete at the highest level. He's a great ORAS OU and SM OU player, but also plays UU at a really high level. Similar to Alaan, Jyt also abuses the Clanger and will surely pick off these mega Aerodactyl spamming peasants one by one. He even won RoA. Wow he really has it all ladies!

Why am I typing this on a Friday night? I was told this game was a good way to meet girls tbh.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-423789
I won't waste time complimenting these players because we should already know they are top players and if they want to defend their ideas, they are free to do so.

Posting on Sage and Christo last week because that game's result was absolutely shocking based on the match up.

Full stall (Team A) versus a pretty innocuous looking balance team (Team B) who's only chance to me looked like Toxic Spikes Tentacruel and potentially Calm Mind Latias as Team A had no Steel type. But because of Aerodactyl's ability to immediately trap Latias and Moltres likely stopping hazards from Aggron and Chesnaught, it looked not just bad for Team B, but close to insurmountable.

The first few turns go as expected, if anything, Team A should be happy about it because Team B did not set up Toxic Spikes suggesting he might not have it. On turn 6 Gligar might have done better to Roost to be at full health, which is important because it can trouble Tentacruel if it's at full health which again, along with Latias, was the only threat to Team A if Team B was running only standard sets. Turn 8 was likely inaccurate by Team A, no reason not to get a free Toxic on Sylveon which would pressure it badly or at least make it waste a precious Heal Bell.

Turn 10 was absolutely unnecessary for Team A - why lose Leftovers on Blissey, which hurts you over the long term plus it means you are a much weaker Latias counter if Latias runs Psyshock. Team A still has a big advantage but its pretty clear there is at least 1 path to victory for Team B now.

Turn 15 again is probably slightly inaccurate by Team A - Team B was obviously trying to heal Aggron as it was the only Pokemon damaged so if you bring in Blissey, it should be because you want to Seismic Toss the Aggron. If you don't want to Seismic Toss the Aggron, then go to something else on turn 15 instead of giving Aggron a free turn on a turn 16 switch.

The switch in on turn 16 was just a mistake. Why go Moltres when you have an Immunity Gligar? If Moltres gets Toxiced, Chesnaught can apply real pressure and some hazards might stay up since Moltres is badly pressured. I understand Team A might want to Pressure stall a little bit but that is not necessary so early and especially as you have two Defoggers against just 1 SR user.

I do like the next few turns for Team A however, they definitely get the better of Team B as Aggron is reduced to nearly 50% and SR remains off the field and several SR PP is pressured. However, Team A throws away not just the advantage they built up over the past 3 turns but the entire match up advantage during turns 20 to 23.

Team B correctly pressures Moltres with Krookodile but Team A easily could have just switched out on turn 20, absorbing the Pursuit but still being healthy enough to heal on Sylveon or Chesnaught later. Instead, Team A decides to Protect on turn 20 which racks up Toxic damage for basically nothing since Pursuit was extremely likely anyways. If Team A thought Krookodile was Pursuiting, they should have used Roost obviously and then switched out. If Team A though Krookodile was using Stone Edge/Knock Off, they should have switched out. In no scenario was Protect a good choice.

Even then, on turn 21 and 22 they had the option to switch out and heal but clicking Flamethrower to do respectable but not completely misplaced damage to Krookodile on turn 22 seals Moltres' fate. It's completely misplaced because once more, Latias/Toxic Spikes was the threat to Sage's team, not a weak trapper like Scarf Krookodile.

Team B pretty smoothly increases their advantage after turn 23 and are never in danger of losing. The hax on turn 49 helped but Team A was already much worse or close to lost by then as Chesnaught was breaking down walls and Latias probably could have swept.

There was no comeback nor a good chance for it, I just put that in the title so I wouldn't spoil the result for those of you who did not see the game

I do not know either of their team importables. It is entirely possible Team B had something nasty like Z Stored Power Refresh Latias which probably could have won by itself. But assuming Team A and B were running fairly standard sets - Calm Mind Z Draco Meteor Latias for example, this game was an example of why you should slow down, think about what your advantage is, and how to preserve it. I watched the game live and I was shocked when Team A moved so quickly on turns 20-23, as if they expected this, as if they didn't want to lose face by switching on turn 21 instead of turn 20 (which would admit Protect on turn 20 was a mistake).

I hope this analysis didn't offend either player or their teams. Purely from an outsider's perspective, this game was shocking but I know others can learn from it. I hope to see Sage play the great Pokemon they are capable of later and Christo to keep taking opportunities when they present themselves.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-424454
Disclaimer: I'm only posting for community benefit to explain some nuances newer players might not notice. I'm not trying to say I would play better than these guys or that they are bad. Obviously they are free to comment if they disagree with me. And lastly, the outside commentator always has the benefit of hindsight and the ease of no pressure, whatsoever.

Posting on Pak vs robjr because I played a very similar game on the ladder last month and I think there's an important lesson anyone can learn or reaffirm from this game.

The match up really depends on the sets. It's entirely possible Robj (Team B) has a sizeable advantage with Refresh Altaria, Calm Mind Cobalion, Block Slowbro and/or a really random Grass Knot Bisharp. Obviously a worst case scenario for Pak (Team A) is very unlikely, but he will have to scout some sets in order to have a comfortable position. Furthermore, bluffs will only go so far for Robj - if he doesn't have any of these sets (and something like Block Slowbro won't win by itself vs Articuno) - then he is probably in a bad position and will need to rely on hax somewhere (at the very least Bisharp usually threatens to 3HKO Quagsire with Knock Off + Iron Head Flinch + Knock Off).

A very reasonable turn 1 for both sides, Gligar switches out of Bisharp as keeping Eviolite might be important for Cobalion, Rotom, and Altaria. Bisharp did not want to risk an early EQ so it indicates Team B thinks it could be useful later. Turn 2 is important as Altaria reveals DD, which should make Team A slightly uneasy as both Refresh Altaria and a burned Facade Altaria will be big problems, but it's really nothing serious yet as the Quagsire has Haze and can just avoid Scald burning Altaria.

Nothing really happens for the next few turns until turn 9 where Team B risks a Scald burn to set up SR. Perhaps he thought it was worth it, which it might have been since the burn chance is only 30%. Additionally, he might have though Team A wouldn't dare give Altaria a Facade boost, although Team B doesn't really show he is even thinking about that yet. Not much happens although you could argue by turn 10, it seems Team A is showing his cards, trying to get Altaria in on a Scald burn. But Team B still might not notice this since Natural Cure/Refresh Altaria is a good choice anyways.

Turn 11 and 12 is interesting because Slowbro comes in, a potential stallbreaker with Block, but Team B shows no fear and goes straight to Alomomola. It's probably lucky for Team B that they didn't get a Scald burn on Slowbro because a burned Slowbro could actually threaten to sweep in some situations while a Toxiced one could rarely threaten to sweep. But nothing happens with Slowbro and on turn 14, Altaria comes back in and reveals EQ, great news for Team A since EQ doesn't target much and only means Altaria does't have Refresh.

Within the first 14 turns: Team A has verified Cobalion is almost certainly not Calm Mind, Altaria is almost certainly not Refresh (and if it is, it only has EQ which is laughable), and Slowbro probably isn't Block. Thus, it's looking absolutely awful for Team B.

As players, we often lack specificity in our terminology. One formal way to define a match up advantage is "Player A has a match up advantage over Player B when both players can make level 1 moves for the game and Player A wins." Level 1 moves can be defined as "A move where the opponent responds to the current turn." For example, Player B using Close Combat with Terrakion on a Blissey even though Player A has a Doublade in the back is a level 1 move for Player B (they respond to the Blissey on the current turn by Close Combatting) and Player A (they respond to the Terrakion by going to Doublade). Obviously this ideal definition doesn't capture the essence of battling, if Terrakion has SR, it's not clear whether a free KO or a free SR is the level 1 move and besides that, people make predictions all the time. Thus, a formal definition of match up advantage doesn't lead to one sided results.

But indeed, for most of Pak vs Robjr, the game did look one sided and Robjr failed to even mount a small threat against Team A (Pak).

There was a small ray of hope for Team B on turn 23 when Player A revealed Haze Quagsire. With Haze, that means Quagsire only had Scald to damage Bisharp. Thus, the only reliable Bisharp and potentially SD Cobalion counter (Gligar could get flinched while Alomomola apparently lacked Scald to even fish for Burns), would have to use Scald on Bisharp to KO it. And every time Quagsire used Scald, Altaria had a chance to come in and get the Facade boost and seriously threaten to sweep. This is of course assuming Altaria had Facade, which was later revealed to be the case. Team A baits Team B into doing just that, Scalding on Cobalion, on turn 24, but Team A gets no such lucky burn.

Here, it becomes pretty obvious what Team A is doing, switching in Altaria deliberately on Scald turns, so by now, Team B should suspect Team A is Facade. Even if not, it's probably the only reasonable way Team B loses bar Iron Head flinches which can't be helped, so Team B should devote all his resources into making sure he uses Scald as few times as possible.

Team A baits Team B once again into using Scald on turn 34 although once again, Team B is fortunate not to burn the Altaria.

At this point, I think it's worth analyzing what would happen if the Scald did burn Altaria. You can imagine Altaria would immediately Mega Evolve to preserve the burn and take reduced damage from potential Freeze Dries and Stone Edges.

At that point, Jolly Facade is doing:

252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 195-231 (49.4 - 58.6%) - note that Quagsire was knocked off.

252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Articuno: 243-286 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which is pretty dire for Team A as Facade has a lot of PP and Quagsire can barely touch Altaria so it does not need to Roost frequently. And if Team A does even get a chance to sacrifice Quagsire for Altaria, Bisharp and potentially SD Cobalion are sizable problems. So it's quite bad for Team A if the burn does occur, although not immediately resignable.

In any case, the burn does not happen but Team A keeps grinding down Team B until what I consider a strategic misunderstanding. At this point, you should understand I think Altaria is the main threat. But is has to stay in the regular form, or else it might get Toxiced by any number of Toxic users. So keeping up SR would severely limit it and it would be worth it even if Team A had to deal with SR himself. Therefore the mutual clearing Defog on turn 43 is a strategic misunderstanding, Team A thought they could just mercilessly grind Team B down, taking away the chance for meaningful double switches (they need SR to be meaningful). But they didn't appreciate they were always teetering on the edge of disaster with those Scald burns, something SR could really help with, taking away free Altaria switches.

The tide turns, rapidly, after a little more tickle by Team B against Team A. Finally, after by my count, the 4th time Team A baited a Scald, they get the Scald burn on Altaria.

It's worth mentioning that Team A was already doing comparatively well in the previous turns and might have had a small chance even without ever getting a Scald burn. But correctly predicting the Scald on Turn 55 was showed Team A had a great understanding of the position.

I do not understand why Blissey was chosen on turn 56 and it could have made a difference. It is hard to give any advice by turn 60 as Quagsire dies, which opens a hole for Bisharp, even Volt Switch Rotom H as Blissey is weak and trappable, and potentially SD Cobalion (although I suspect now it was not SD).

Team B badly struggles with Altaria and ends up sacrificing Blissey for major damage on Altaria, potentially killing it next time if Aerodactyl can come in on a double switch (which can also outspeed a potential Adamant +1 Altaria). Altaria nearly dies by turn 69.

However, with Quagsire gone, Bisharp is a huge problem and has room to predict around Alomomola since Team B isn't running Scald. Furthermore, Rotom-H is becoming a large problem now as Gligar is weakened without Eviolite and Blissey and Quagsire are dead. A good prediction on turn 75 leads Team A to resignation.

What lessons can be learned from this game? I believe Team B played only two major mistakes, but those mistakes were very costly. First, they did not appreciate the threat a Facade Altaria could pose. If they did, Team B would not have used Scald so willy nilly, instead opting to use Haze more frequently. Quagsire faces only moderate pressure from Bisharp, which importantly has no recovery. The advantage should have been to Team B in those predictions since a wrong prediction means just a little bit of damage for Quagsire, but potentially a burned and dead Bisharp for Team A.

The second mistake was not keeping SR up again, which would have limited Altaria's switchins, especially in the regular form. Both of these mistakes point to a single lesson - keeping track of threats. I believe it is best for stall players to be absolutely paranoid in their evaluations because why not? By turn 14, Team B revealed most of their threats. The only potential threat Team B had was Facade Altaria so Team A should have devoted their resources to stopping it. Thus, the lesson to be learned is: keep track of threats, know where your advantage lays and play to it. I don't mean to condescend, I'm 100% sure Pak already knows this. This is mainly for the benefit of newer players who aren't as familiar with competitive strategies yet.

Again, I hope this analysis doesn't offend anyone. I'm sure I will be analyzing Pak and Sage wins in the weeks to come and future tournaments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)