Tournament Smogon Snake Draft IV: RU Discussion

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bad sign when you have to double post, if people are still interested, I updated OP w/ replays / stats / records.

This week the teams all seemed to be pretty consistently pivot bulky offense with a strong defensive core and breakers that make using those cores more difficult (the exception being snaga's team which replaced a defensive core with screens, granted most things on his team had some defensive utility). Steelix remained the main staple in these defensive cores, and fit with a versatile set of defensive partners, Milotic and Xatu (Ajna, me), Mantine and Arcanine (nat), Silvally-fairy and Dragalge (Feliburn), and Steelix by itself (the pharoah). The notable similarity between all these cores is that one, or both of the partners, have pivot moves which help to get in the previously mentioned breakers. U-turn is used on Silvally-fairy, teleport on Xatu and Arcanine, and flip turn by Dragalge and Milotic. Expulso's team skipped Steelix and went with Seismitoad and Klefki as a hazard setting pair that also covers a large portion of the meta, he paired them with Pokemon that tend to take advantage of these defensive cores such as NP Rotom and Lycanroc which ended up being a nice read. Pepeduce opted for the Bronzong, Gastrodon, Dhelmise core to back up CM Indeedee and (I assume) some kind of set up Scrafty. I think snaga's team did a really nice job of taking advantage of the more common Steelix cores with Sub DD Moxie Scrafty, and (again I assume) Focus Energy Kingdra, while also having a nice just win button against less common things in his "Dual Dance" Klefki, which was a nice call, particularly against Pepe who tends to bring some unconventional Pokemon. I will be curious to see how much "meta-gaming" is done next week and how hard people will try to CT Steelix / Bulky Water (pivoting optional) / tertiary defensive mon with pivot move. Or if people will simply try to perfect that team style themselves.

week 9 match ups:

[RAT] Ajna vs Feliburn [AST]
[SER] Malekith vs Lopunny Kicks [BUS]
[LEV] odr vs Expulso [TAI]
[MAM] eifo vs Pepeduce [LIN]
[NAG] atomicllamas vs snaga [COB]

[RAT] Ajna vs Feliburn [AST] - if Ajna wins they will both be tied for the best record in RU going into the playoffs which would just honestly be so adorably cute given their friendship, we stan
[SER] Malekith vs Lopunny Kicks [BUS] - oh man, we're at the "Malekith and Lopunny Kicks in RU" stage of the official tournament, that's how you know we're near the end. I think Lopunny Kicks is a little more “with it” this gen (generally) and thus will slightly favor him.
[LEV] odr vs Expulso [TAI] - Expulso easily brought his best team of the tournament so far vs myself (of course >:\) so I think he might be starting to get a hold on this whole official team tour thing, that said I favor odr's play so I slightly favor him assuming someone doesn't get subbed in on Sunday.
[MAM] eifo vs Pepeduce [LIN] - eifo hasn't played a ton of games thus far this tournament but has looked extremely solid in every one, Pepeduce is no pushover sitting at 4-4, but records aside I think eifo's play has been more consistent, should be a hot match.

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
[SER] Malekith vs Lopunny Kicks [BUS] - I feel like lopkicks is just more in touch w/ the tier and the gen as a whole, not to mention his most recent RU Open win to top it all.

[LEV] odr vs Expulso [TAI] - I value odr as a more solid player in general. I've been personally sketchy on Expulso's teams in the past but last week was a v danger team, bunch of offensive threats is my type of team. I think it will depend on how well odr can position himself not to lose to one of the demons if Expulso decides to take that route again but I trust him to just put pressure himself before expulso gets a chance.

[MAM] eifo vs Pepeduce [LIN] - I don't have much to work with but I feel like eifo is just playing more solid than pepeduce. Building wise I think pepe has been trying to fish a lot for certain matchups, meaning he's making teams with a bunch of holes so it all depends on how solid eifo's team can be but I'd still go w/ him regardless.

[NAG] atomicllamas vs snaga [COB] - Both of them have similar records so this ought to be a fun watch. I feel like llama's gives me a more confident vibe so I'm inclined to root for him, however snaga has been turning it up the past weeks, making such a strong matchup callout vs pepeduce last week so his prep is for sure something that could give him the upperhand vs llamas.

I haven't predicted a single game wrong this tour :bloblul:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Well seasons over, so I'll drop some thoughts on the teams we decided to use throughout the season:

Week 1 vs Void:

Week 1 was one of the hardests to prep for, because I was playing in a relatively new meta vs a non mainer so my information was very limited. EviGaro suggested this fire garde set so I went from there: Breakers in Band Bewear + Specs Inteleon, Scarf Mowtom to nab momentum vs the common scarfers, and Steelix and Flip Turn Dragalge as my general defensive backbone. The whole point of this team was to pressure whatever Void could bring vs me, which ended up happening thanks to the Gardevoir.

Week 2 vs snaga:

Comes week 2 and I'm really feeling offense. So I tell EviGaro that I feel like using some sand and she drops this godlike team almost immediately. The main point of the team was to abuse Trick Sticky Barb Sigilyph to potentially chip down fat mons that could prevent a Lycanroc sweep and it worked amazingly as I was able to trick the milotic p early on. Klefki fills the role as a defensive steel but also adds spikes support to make the path easier for the dog. Band Toad is again another mon that hits hard similar checks to the dog and then the fat core of gigalith + tangela. I loved using this team, it's up there in my top 2 teams I used this season.

Week 3 vs Charmflash:

EviGaro takes the wheel once again in this week and she decides to drop Knock Off Spikes Accelgor to abuse the fact that Charm's speed control has been Garde and Pass, meaning that once Accelgor knocks off a scarf, specs Indeedee can go ham. Paired with band Passimian and boots Heliolisk to keep up momentum, the point of this team was yet again to break through anything Charm could bring as he was deviating towards relatively standard BO at first. We had offensive Rain Dance Mantine to add on to the pressure and lix to rocks up. Team worked fantastically as I was able to knock the scarfer and just put on pressure with Heliolisk.

Week 4 vs Nat

Admittedly I slacked off with prep this week, Nat was a tricky one cause out of the teams she used before, one was sun and the other one was my w1 team with a dhelmise over the unusable rotom. This Thievul team was something I planned on using vs Charmflash, figured that if I followed the logic of him bringing standard BO he'd use something that forced Passimian to be his dark resist and I could abuse that amazingly with Specs Thievul and Chople SD Bewear. Ninjask is used because it's a v useful speed control mon and annoying to handle in general. RD Mantine appears yet again to put on pressure once Thievul and Bewear handled the opposing water/steel. And finally tspikes boots Dragalge for that chip. I didn't really get the thievul matchup I was hoping but tspikes + mantine put in amazing work this game.

Week 5 vs Sensei Axew

Oh man this is another team in my top 2 used this tour. roman had been using BO/Balance and the first mon I wanted to use was the god Centi. Paired with a defensive core of Bronzong, Phys Def CM Slowbro and Sp Def Mantine in case we faced sun again, I was feeling v confident in the team, closing it was the issue. I decided to go with Boots NP Decidueye as it's an annoyance for more balanced teams, similar to Centi, so I felt it was a v cool combination, typing wise as well. Finally I added Scarf Drap for speed control. I really loved how this team played and I had so much fun building it. I ended up facing something I would have never expected in a semi rain team, however the team managed to do what it was supposed to do and I managed to come on top thanks to the decidueye pick in the end.

Week 6 vs Pepeduce

Another Evi team. This time based around Taunt Scrafty to mess up mons like Mantine, to ease up the path for Specs Inteleon. We decided to use a backbone of Vileplume, Coalossal and Bronzong because they covered most of the threats Pepeduce had used. Finally using Heliolisk for some speed and momentum to get Inteleon in. At the beginning of the game, the Scrafty set worked amazingly, taunting the lead Druddigon and weakening the Rhydon and the screens Xatu. However it all went downhill p quickly when Pepeduce got a max roll on vileplume with his sub DD Scrafty, p cool set regardless of odds and this team def had a shot with matchup, rlly cool idea by Evi honestly.

Week 7 vs Kink

Alright so this team is a bit more attached to me than it should be. If you followed RUPL and RUSD u'll notice that I used IndeeLee once in each tour and won both times. I decided to try and keep the streak going and use it in this tour as well and it worked epicly. Decided to opt this time for a Steelix, SpD Milotic and a Xatu for my defensive core as I didn't wanna get spiked. Drapion as speed control so it wouldn't overlap with any mons and because Knock Off is a good move. I honestly played p sloppy this game but the team did what it needed to do, making it 3-0 in my hands so far, goat IndeeLee...

Week 8 vs the pharoah

Vs ODR, Evi suggested using an ice type because they abused his builds so far p decently, so we ended up going with Rotom as it could also volt on Bronzong if he decided to use it. Golisopod worked nicely as a partner as it appreciated Mantine getting weakened and it could also threaten Bronzong if we managed to volt on it. Bewear was added as a breaker to make it easy for Flame Charge Silvally-Fairy to sweep, they both pair p nicely and SD spam is p epic. Dragalge and Steelix were our fatter mons, and well idk what else to say that u havent read above about these rofl, they just worked well with the team. We had a p cool matchup vs webs, meaning Rotom and Pod were both amazing picks here.

Week 9 vs Ajna

We decided to try and SD spam Ajna, with SD Flamethrower Flame Charge Silvally-Ghost and SD Drapion. Those 2 work p good together and if u've seen ajna's older teams, they def had potential to go ham here. Standard fat core in Bronzong + Mantine and speed + momentum in Heliolisk and Passimian. Unfortunately, we ended up facing Curse Lax + EQ, meaning Drap would never really get a good chance to boost up vs it and silvally was basically useless.

After all, I'm happy with my record. Wanna give a shoutout to EviGaro for building half my teams and giving me all the ideas, I am still impressed by how well we work together.

Shoutouts to Juno GoldCat and Bouff for all the ideas and tests. And to everyone else who helped me test during the season. Now that I'm out I'll try to make some more in depth predictions for playoffs.

Also was gonna drop the imports but I might just reuse some of the spreads for the future....

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
sorry for the delay I was out of town for the past couple days

The OP has been updated with the usage stats, replays, and records.

the semi-finals match ups are as follows:

[LIN] Pepeduce vs atomicllamas [NAG]
[RAT] Ajna vs snaga [COB]

I will not be doing predicts probably (ended up 19/35, lol), or an analysis this week, but if you guys would like to do so that would be cool, also here is a link to Feliburn 's predictions, he had to post them in the snake thread because my laziness and he didn't want to triple post. Those of you out of the tournament can also share your thoughts on the whole tournament like Feli did above if you'd like (I'll save my tags for after finals).

I keep telling myself I'm done with RU, and every time a tour rolls around I can't help but get sucked back into it. I've not been involved with the community for a while now, but I have to say I really enjoyed this DLC1 metagame, and it was perhaps my most active tier throughout snake. I ended up making several of the teams we used, and I wanted to talk a bit about some of my most effective and memorable ideas.

Abusing the 'Brokens': CM Spam vs Ajna

This team had a whole array of interesting ideas, and it was really fun to make. I was convinced that Sigilyph was broken, and was telling roman that he should definitely use spikes + FOrb Sigi. At the same time, we were also very concerned of losing to sigi ourselves. This is where the GOAT, coalossal entered the picture.

Coalossal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Flare Blitz
- Rapid Spin

We actually used a fully physical set with max atk, in order to deal enough damage with rock blast/blitz to outdamage roost from Sigi. This ended up coming into play when Ajna, expecting an overheat, tried to set-up with CM Zong and got smacked by Flare Blitz instead. I'll be honest, coalossal isn't the greatest mon despite its pretty good stats, but it definitely did its job here, and was worth it solely for how much roman and I made Sensei Axew mald by parading it as the next great thing.

One idea we were also experimenting in terms of sigilyph checks was gourgeist. Originally we were planning to use a small version which would be faster, but with the addition of coalossal this was no longer necessary, so we instead went for more bulk. roman had the fantastic idea of running trick scarf to get past itemless poltergeist checks or generally cripple defensive mons, and this set ended up being really effective and fun to use. I won't spend too much time on the set, but I do think it deserves a lengthier showcase and as it was roman's idea I think he should be the one to post about it if he wants to.

Anyhow, speaking of itemless mons, one of the other big additions to this team was itemless NP G-Bro. This mon was truly incredible, and surprisingly underused this tour. Apart from great defensive utility came a great secondary wincon, honestly frequently better than sigilyph, but regardless great at working with it to weaken shared checks. Finally, Silvally-Dark was another great addition providing a fast & strong pivot and wincon that could slowly weaken all of its checks by itself.

Entering the Desert: Sun vs Pepeduce

Sun only made a couple appearances this tour, but held up a strong performance in the few games it featured. In fact, the team Nat used to win vs odr was one of roman's earlier renditions of the team, with e-button spam and specs lazzle as the secondary wincon to charizard. As we were testing the team more it was struggling with certain cores, and this is when I came up with the idea of adding the desert lizard to the team:

Heliolisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball
- Grass Knot

In sun, weather ball fire is the strongest move heliolisk has, and is so strong that it doesn't need any boosting item at all to rip through the whole tier. It also provides basically perfect coverage with grass knot and electric, hitting steelix and grasses, making lisk an absolute monster to go up against. In the actual game roman went with AV on his lisk, but I think lefties is the better option to provide longevity through solar power.

This addition made the team very strong, but I think there will still yet some improvements over what roman brought vs pepe. For one, I think flamethrower is almost mandatory to run on charizard, for its consistent damage outside of sun. At the time Roman had overheat to pressure CM Glowbro apart from trick xatu, due to the liability we had with klefki, but I think there were better ways to account for this. Lacking flamethrower ended up being costly, as roman had to play a more awkward sequence to win due to the difficulty of using weather ball, and in the end missed overheat vs steelix on the final turn of the match. One of the other issues here was eject button on Torkoal - while this was a cute idea and very dangerous in the right moments, the consistency of heat rock is too much to give up imo, and eject button better placed on other members. Finally, one other idea I was playing with was Claydol & Whimsicott > Blastoise & Klefki. One of the key ideas of Dol, apart from spinning and checking things like rhyperior, glowbro, and dragalge, was the use of sunny day + teleport, and also being able to easily fit eject button on this set. Momentum and positioning is a big part of playing sun, and this provided a lot of the tools needed to accomplish that throughout the game. I believe llamas used a similar concept in P2 on his rendition of Sun. Finally, whimsicott could provide either utility or an offensive threat. I tried both a chlorophyll growth sweeper, which worked surprisingly well, and also a prankster support set, which was also effective.

Overall I think the Torkoal + Zard + Xatu are probably the most important members of Sun, and personally i feel heliolisk makes a top tier addition, but there are many ways to play the remaining team slots. We didn't see this archetype used too often as perhaps it was seen as cheesy, but I do think it deserves continuing experimentation if torkoal remains in the tier for DLC2.

A Torrential Downpour: Rain vs Feliburn

This was actually one of my favorite teams, and perhaps my most ambitious build this season. The idea of this team revolved around the gooey monster, goodra.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest

Goodra has incredible stats, and a very diverse and flexible movepool. I wanted to try set-up set, and hydration rest was the only way I could see it being effective. The crazy thing about goodra is its potential to win so many games on the spot, as it is super hard to take down. Believe it or not, this set is even capable of 1v1ing things like gardevoir, which is insane. EQ is your most consistent damage output and coverage, most importantly hitting steels and fairies and chunking poisons harder, while Dragon Tail is great for shuffling out pokemon trying to out-boost goodra and also racking up hazard damage. The perfect partner to this set is of course klefki, providing spikes and prankster rain dance, while also covering some of goodra's defensive weaknesses. I also used rocky helmet weezing to cover and chip down a few key physical threats, and also use neutralizing gas to get tspikes up past xatu to aid goodra's mission to sweep. I ended up going for a full utility set, with wisp, corrosive gas (mainly for HDB) and rain dance, as I found this is how I often ended up playing Weezing on that team. For an offensive core that works well standalone but also makes good use of rain, I also had swift swim LO special seismitoad, and HDB Lisk. In games where goodra would be too slow paced to win by itself, it could often be leaned on defensively and playing lisk and toad well with hazards could often be enough to overwhelm the opponent.

The other key idea that roman really wanted to use that week vs Feli was Anchor Shot Dhelmise:

Dhelmise @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 48 Def / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Anchor Shot
- Swords Dance
- Rest

Apart from the much needed utility of hazard removal, by trapping the right defensive mon, this guy can abuse such an opportunity very hard for setting up with SD and Spin to sweep or heavily damage a team. One of the biggest ideas behind this, apart from abusing something like a likely lix or bronzong, was actually that roman and I were predicting Feli to use an itemless GBro, which he did actually end up bringing. This set can lure in bro via the threat of poltergeist, trap it, and SD to 2hko it. This is really nice as GBro abuses klefki and is tough to counter otherwise, relying on Goodra dtailing it out which is often undesireable. RestoChesto is a cute little tech not only so that Dhel can burn its item relatively freely if it needs to check poltergeist, but also so that rest can be a more useful move even if Dhel doesn't get a good trap opportunity.

Sadly, in this week and for the rest of the season Roman was unable to play, and for this week it was unexpected so Sensei had to take up the mantle vs feli at the last moment. I actually wasn't online when this happened, and if I were I'd have suggested to him to use a different team, as I think this one is extremely difficult to play well without practice and knowledge of its intricacies. I say this is to Sensei's credit, as I think he put forth an admirable effort given the challenges of the situation, but there definitely were some misplays that I think prevented this team from really shining in that MU. Firstly, trapping the GBro as I described would have been a huge improvement. Secondly, the goodra set-up was a bit rash, as generally you should only start clicking curse once you have some form of hazards up and rain set first. The most important turns for rain are for when Goodra is most vulnerable clicking its first few curses, so setting up without rain is almost never a good idea. With bro gone, a layer of spikes up and a timing the set-up better, I think goodra definitely would have given Feli a lot of trouble as he had basically nothing to outdamage it at after a few boosts, the only real option being NP Decid during rest turns, but this would be difficult to manouver and opens him up to heliolisk if he even gets the opportunity. Regardless, I'm still glad this team had a chance to see a tournament game and props to Feli for his great prep and play that game as well.

The Thug Life: A Closer Look at Scrafty

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Dragon Dance

or

Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Dragon Dance

For my last few teams, I want to talk about them more in the angle of specific pokemon they feature that I think are really great. The first pokemon is DD Scrafty. One of the biggest boons to Scrafty this gen is that pure Fairies are very uncommon in RU, and the ones most frequently in klefki and gardevoir used have a secondary typing that gives Scrafty a strong neutral hit. This allows Scrafty an extra moveslot that it doesn't really need for coverage, giving it the freedom to pick from a wide variety of great moves to beat various things. The first time I started using Scrafty was on a sticky webs HO team, and Golisopod was one of the biggest nuisances as it could revenge kill a lot of my main sweepers. Furthermore, I needed something that could come in on scalds and toxic's from things like defensive waters and shrug it off. This gave me the idea of using Lefties Shed Skin Scrafty with Protect. Tect allows Scrafty to block first impression and scout out moves from faster choice scarf users like passimian and gardevoir, and also adding additional lefties recovery and more chances to fish for a shed skin cure. While I think DD is optimal on Scrafty, its hard to deny there is some nice utility to bulkier BU sets, and I think this tech does a great job of providing overall utility while also augmenting Scrafty's natural bulk and great ability to aid its sweeps. Speaking of Bulk Up, another set I have been playing with that is also fantastic is a dual-booster. The key idea here is that drain makes scrafty much more durable, and also pairs great with BU which is much more consistent at breaking past body press Steelix and other defensive Pokemon. Furthermore, it is possible to circumvent the lower damage output of Drain Punch vs CC vs offensive mons like passimian (which ordinarily knock followed by +1 CC would KO, but not drain), by going for a DD then BU (generally you would want to knock off the scarf/band the first time if possible), tanking the CC and then healing it back with a knockout drain punch.

There are a lot of other great options, like Sub DD on Pepe's screens team, and there is also Taunt which iirc Expulso made good use of, but these are the two sets that I've been enjoying the most.

importable

I will probably gush about this team for a while, as it has a ton of sets that I love. I actually made it back around week 3 or 4, when I think Vikavolt was perhaps at its prime that time. I wanted Ramo to bring this vs eifo, but eventually that game never happened and sadly this squad never got a game in the limelight. Even so, I really enjoy it, and I'll actually include a paste to this one since I love every single set here. Vika has great defensive typing with levitate and its good bulk, and with just Buzz and Volt Switch is extremely difficult to switch into without Steelix, or something like P2. I call this team a webs team but webs is honestly just the extra icing on the cake, its frequently unneeded and the raw presence of Vika is what counts. I don't think I saw anyone else make much use of this monster, but it is seriously underrated and you should give it a spin. At the time of this team Inteleon was also a big threat and one of my favorite mons, and here I have the snipe shot focus energy set paired with another one of my favorite mons (perhaps top 5 in RU, honestly) in CM Gardevoir. The two can often break shared checks for each other, intel breaking stuff like keys for gard, and gard things like p2/fat waters for intel (gard is pretty much unwallable honestly). Both are also fantastic wincons on their own, Gardevoir just has amazing stats and moves and trace is super nice, + intel had speed and immediate power with crit snipe shot, + a decent sigi check which was a concern at the time. After GBro rose and sigi got banned, I added air slash > dark pulse to check virizion, and its also useful to hit toxi which is a big threat. Toad provided rocks and utility vs opposing intel/skewda and toxicroak. Furthermore tangela was really popular at this time, so I've got knock off + sludge bomb to cleanly knock it out. Incindentally, this is also the best defensive set for pressuring things like xatu and mantine trying to block hazards. SD Steelvally provides important defensive utility, a pivot to create set-up opportunities, and is a wincon in itself. Finally, as it usually does, Scrafty is here to steal the show every other game, providing a ton of utility and a sweeper like no other.

This team is probably my best in our most recent meta, before DLC2 took over. Roman for a long time was wanting to use something cool with Steelix + Mantine, and while we both weren't super high on mantine I ended up making it finally happen, though completely by accident. Actually, the origin of this team actually began with Lapras. Kingdra had just dropped, and I was toying with the idea of a shell armor lapras to hard counter it, as it has good stats and it is also actually very difficult to switch into surf + freeze dry. Eventually though, the fighting weakness proved to be too large a liability especially vs things like steelix, so I ended up going for Mantine instead. The tech I chose here was Calm + Mirror Coat, which could cover some of the things I intended for Lapras like TBolt goodra (Soulgazer actually ended up facing thunder, which it can also tank, but got the knockout on draco), Dragalge, and Focus Energy Kingdra if you get the sub turns correct. I ended up settling on Dragalge + Lix to round out my defensive core, with CM Espeon as a final utility piece for hazards and to check fighters / sigi, which was still legal that week (though we ended up gentlemanning it, so I changed the set to Psychic > Stored for immediate power). Scrafty was the main wincon of the team, early on with the protect set to make use of tspikes in addition to the normal benefits, but later DD + BU to better handle Steelix, though both are good. Ninjask finally also makes great use of tspikes, and provides a more sturdy fighter check + general revenge killer and cleaner. I think later we saw another team used a few times which was similar, using an Indeedee iirc, and it was really cool to see a similar team structure also succeed.

One of my newest fave mons and a huge reason for that team's success is this poisonous little seahorse right here:

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast / Surf
- Toxic Spikes

Dragalge is SO. GOOD. Its defensive typing is really fantastic, and further augmented by its really good bulk which can allow it to trade with a lot of mons, and hard wall many more. After rhyperior left for OU I actually really prefer to run max HP to maximize what Dragalge can tank, and max Spa as this is huge to pick up OHKOs vs some neutral targets with Adaptability Draco. I prefer Sludge Bomb for the poison fish chance vs things like P2, Milo, etc. and we all already know how good TSpikes is. I think the other main important thing here is I actually strongly dislike Flip Turn, and found much better use for Surf or Focus Blast. Focus Blast is extremely hard hitting, does a lot more to steelix and breaks Copperjah, and can even check things like Scrafty in a pinch. The downside is the miss chance, so I also flirted with Surf which can cleanly 2hko 252/252 Impish Lix (Scald misses this, and can also get bad burns when you want poisons). I think perhaps one of the big reasons I didn't like Flip Turn was that I strongly valued breaking past Lix, as it is so common and oftentimes teams lack a good answer to Dragalge outside of it. Furthermore, I find that I'd rather be going for more damaging attacks, and if I really need to swap it would be on a defensive mon where I can just set-up TSpikes then manually switch. Furthermore I had Espeon so I didn't really want to click Flip Turn vs Klefki anyway, which imo is one of the selling points. This set is seriously the bomb, but even if you like to run flip turn / faster I think the mon itself is fantastic and so good in the meta rn. I'll close this post out with one more team with it, which also never got to see the limelight:

I really wanted to try out Spikes Goli + Viri. Dragalge is just fantastic for checking Lazzle and abusing other defensive mons like Vileplume which might try to come in on Virizion, since mine is opting for Edge to hit the fliers and centiskorch. I'm not the biggest Sneasel fan this gen but this was giving me throwback vibes to one of my favorite ORAS RU teams, and it ends up working really well here. Lix as usual, and it wouldn't be one of my teams without a magical psychic. I made this team for SG to use but it also never got played, however I think its really fun and also makes great use of Dragalge's utility and breaking prowess. Originally I was trying to make goodra work here, but eventually I gave up and decided to succumb to the fact that I would be throwing Dragalge onto a lot of my teams. This team sort of looks like a typical balance but it can be played pretty aggro, even moreso than the jask scrafty one, which is something I really enjoy. Virizion is also quite good!

That's pretty much all I've got. Before I close this, I want to say that I really enjoyed the growth of the playerbase that I saw this tour. Pepeduce I remember playing you from many years ago, facing off against your Ursaring and Hariyama or what have you on ladder and in seasonals, and you showed tremendous improvement this tour. Expulso you got thrown into the deep end very early as a new player, but I think you did a fantastic job of rising to the level of this competition. Feliburn you have improved so much since the last time we played together in SPL, your overall approach to the game has really matured and your play was oh so solid. Fantastic post btw, you and Evi came up with some really great stuff. I could go on and on about everyone in this tour, but all I'm really trying to say is that I'm really happy to see the level of RU competition consistently getting better and better. Y'all rock. I think many of the ideas developing in these 9+2 weeks will probably carry over to the new metagame, so I would love to read more posts, if I can encourage anyone else to add to the discussion. I'll prompt atomicllamas to post about P2, since I never used it myself but it performed really well and I would love to hear about it from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Feliburn

RU Leader
I keep telling myself I'm done with RU, and every time a tour rolls around I can't help but get sucked back into it. I've not been involved with the community for a while now, but I have to say I really enjoyed this DLC1 metagame, and it was perhaps my most active tier throughout snake. I ended up making several of the teams we used, and I wanted to talk a bit about some of my most effective and memorable ideas.

Abusing the 'Brokens': CM Spam vs Ajna

This team had a whole array of interesting ideas, and it was really fun to make. I was convinced that Sigilyph was broken, and was telling roman that he should definitely use spikes + FOrb Sigi. At the same time, we were also very concerned of losing to sigi ourselves. This is where the GOAT, coalossal entered the picture.

Coalossal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Flare Blitz
- Rapid Spin

We actually used a fully physical set with max atk, in order to deal enough damage with rock blast/blitz to outdamage roost from Sigi. This ended up coming into play when Ajna, expecting an overheat, tried to set-up with CM Zong and got smacked by Flare Blitz instead. I'll be honest, coalossal isn't the greatest mon despite its pretty good stats, but it definitely did its job here, and was worth it solely for how much roman and I made Sensei Axew mald by parading it as the next great thing.

One idea we were also experimenting in terms of sigilyph checks was gourgeist. Originally we were planning to use a small version which would be faster, but with the addition of coalossal this was no longer necessary, so we instead went for more bulk. roman had the fantastic idea of running trick scarf to get past itemless poltergeist checks or generally cripple defensive mons, and this set ended up being really effective and fun to use. I won't spend too much time on the set, but I do think it deserves a lengthier showcase and as it was roman's idea I think he should be the one to post about it if he wants to.

Anyhow, speaking of itemless mons, one of the other big additions to this team was itemless NP G-Bro. This mon was truly incredible, and surprisingly underused this tour. Apart from great defensive utility came a great secondary wincon, honestly frequently better than sigilyph, but regardless great at working with it to weaken shared checks. Finally, Silvally-Dark was another great addition providing a fast & strong pivot and wincon that could slowly weaken all of its checks by itself.

Entering the Desert: Sun vs Pepeduce

Sun only made a couple appearances this tour, but held up a strong performance in the few games it featured. In fact, the team Nat used to win vs odr was one of roman's earlier renditions of the team, with e-button spam and specs lazzle as the secondary wincon to charizard. As we were testing the team more it was struggling with certain cores, and this is when I came up with the idea of adding the desert lizard to the team:

Heliolisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball
- Grass Knot

In sun, weather ball fire is the strongest move heliolisk has, and is so strong that it doesn't need any boosting item at all to rip through the whole tier. It also provides basically perfect coverage with grass knot and electric, hitting steelix and grasses, making lisk an absolute monster to go up against. In the actual game roman went with AV on his lisk, but I think lefties is the better option to provide longevity through solar power.

This addition made the team very strong, but I think there will still yet some improvements over what roman brought vs pepe. For one, I think flamethrower is almost mandatory to run on charizard, for its consistent damage outside of sun. At the time Roman had overheat to pressure CM Glowbro apart from trick xatu, due to the liability we had with klefki, but I think there were better ways to account for this. Lacking flamethrower ended up being costly, as roman had to play a more awkward sequence to win due to the difficulty of using weather ball, and in the end missed overheat vs steelix on the final turn of the match. One of the other issues here was eject button on Torkoal - while this was a cute idea and very dangerous in the right moments, the consistency of heat rock is too much to give up imo, and eject button better placed on other members. Finally, one other idea I was playing with was Claydol & Whimsicott > Blastoise & Klefki. One of the key ideas of Dol, apart from spinning and checking things like rhyperior, glowbro, and dragalge, was the use of sunny day + teleport, and also being able to easily fit eject button on this set. Momentum and positioning is a big part of playing sun, and this provided a lot of the tools needed to accomplish that throughout the game. I believe llamas used a similar concept in P2 on his rendition of Sun. Finally, whimsicott could provide either utility or an offensive threat. I tried both a chlorophyll growth sweeper, which worked surprisingly well, and also a prankster support set, which was also effective.

Overall I think the Torkoal + Zard + Xatu are probably the most important members of Sun, and personally i feel heliolisk makes a top tier addition, but there are many ways to play the remaining team slots. We didn't see this archetype used too often as perhaps it was seen as cheesy, but I do think it deserves continuing experimentation if torkoal remains in the tier for DLC2.

A Torrential Downpour: Rain vs Feliburn

This was actually one of my favorite teams, and perhaps my most ambitious build this season. The idea of this team revolved around the gooey monster, goodra.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest

Goodra has incredible stats, and a very diverse and flexible movepool. I wanted to try set-up set, and hydration rest was the only way I could see it being effective. The crazy thing about goodra is its potential to win so many games on the spot, as it is super hard to take down. Believe it or not, this set is even capable of 1v1ing things like gardevoir, which is insane. EQ is your most consistent damage output and coverage, most importantly hitting steels and fairies and chunking poisons harder, while Dragon Tail is great for shuffling out pokemon trying to out-boost goodra and also racking up hazard damage. The perfect partner to this set is of course klefki, providing spikes and prankster rain dance, while also covering some of goodra's defensive weaknesses. I also used rocky helmet weezing to cover and chip down a few key physical threats, and also use neutralizing gas to get tspikes up past xatu to aid goodra's mission to sweep. I ended up going for a full utility set, with wisp, corrosive gas (mainly for HDB) and rain dance, as I found this is how I often ended up playing Weezing on that team. For an offensive core that works well standalone but also makes good use of rain, I also had swift swim LO special seismitoad, and HDB Lisk. In games where goodra would be too slow paced to win by itself, it could often be leaned on defensively and playing lisk and toad well with hazards could often be enough to overwhelm the opponent.

The other key idea that roman really wanted to use that week vs Feli was Anchor Shot Dhelmise:

Dhelmise @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 48 Def / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Anchor Shot
- Swords Dance
- Rest

Apart from the much needed utility of hazard removal, by trapping the right defensive mon, this guy can abuse such an opportunity very hard for setting up with SD and Spin to sweep or heavily damage a team. One of the biggest ideas behind this, apart from abusing something like a likely lix or bronzong, was actually that roman and I were predicting Feli to use an itemless GBro, which he did actually end up bringing. This set can lure in bro via the threat of poltergeist, trap it, and SD to 2hko it. This is really nice as GBro abuses klefki and is tough to counter otherwise, relying on Goodra dtailing it out which is often undesireable. RestoChesto is a cute little tech not only so that Dhel can burn its item relatively freely if it needs to check poltergeist, but also so that rest can be a more useful move even if Dhel doesn't get a good trap opportunity.

Sadly, in this week and for the rest of the season Roman was unable to play, and for this week it was unexpected so Sensei had to take up the mantle vs feli at the last moment. I actually wasn't online when this happened, and if I were I'd have suggested to him to use a different team, as I think this one is extremely difficult to play well without practice and knowledge of its intricacies. I say this is to Sensei's credit, as I think he put forth an admirable effort given the challenges of the situation, but there definitely were some misplays that I think prevented this team from really shining in that MU. Firstly, trapping the GBro as I described would have been a huge improvement. Secondly, the goodra set-up was a bit rash, as generally you should only start clicking curse once you have some form of hazards up and rain set first. The most important turns for rain are for when Goodra is most vulnerable clicking its first few curses, so setting up without rain is almost never a good idea. With bro gone, a layer of spikes up and a timing the set-up better, I think goodra definitely would have given Feli a lot of trouble as he had basically nothing to outdamage it at after a few boosts, the only real option being NP Decid during rest turns, but this would be difficult to manouver and opens him up to heliolisk if he even gets the opportunity. Regardless, I'm still glad this team had a chance to see a tournament game and props to Feli for his great prep and play that game as well.

The Thug Life: A Closer Look at Scrafty

Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Dragon Dance

or

Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Dragon Dance

For my last few teams, I want to talk about them more in the angle of specific pokemon they feature that I think are really great. The first pokemon is DD Scrafty. One of the biggest boons to Scrafty this gen is that pure Fairies are very uncommon in RU, and the ones most frequently in klefki and gardevoir used have a secondary typing that gives Scrafty a strong neutral hit. This allows Scrafty an extra moveslot that it doesn't really need for coverage, giving it the freedom to pick from a wide variety of great moves to beat various things. The first time I started using Scrafty was on a sticky webs HO team, and Golisopod was one of the biggest nuisances as it could revenge kill a lot of my main sweepers. Furthermore, I needed something that could come in on scalds and toxic's from things like defensive waters and shrug it off. This gave me the idea of using Lefties Shed Skin Scrafty with Protect. Tect allows Scrafty to block first impression and scout out moves from faster choice scarf users like passimian and gardevoir, and also adding additional lefties recovery and more chances to fish for a shed skin cure. While I think DD is optimal on Scrafty, its hard to deny there is some nice utility to bulkier BU sets, and I think this tech does a great job of providing overall utility while also augmenting Scrafty's natural bulk and great ability to aid its sweeps. Speaking of Bulk Up, another set I have been playing with that is also fantastic is a dual-booster. The key idea here is that drain makes scrafty much more durable, and also pairs great with BU which is much more consistent at breaking past body press Steelix and other defensive Pokemon. Furthermore, it is possible to circumvent the lower damage output of Drain Punch vs CC vs offensive mons like passimian (which ordinarily knock followed by +1 CC would KO, but not drain), by going for a DD then BU (generally you would want to knock off the scarf/band the first time if possible), tanking the CC and then healing it back with a knockout drain punch.

There are a lot of other great options, like Sub DD on Pepe's screens team, and there is also Taunt which iirc Expulso made good use of, but these are the two sets that I've been enjoying the most.

importable

I will probably gush about this team for a while, as it has a ton of sets that I love. I actually made it back around week 3 or 4, when I think Vikavolt was perhaps at its prime that time. I wanted Ramo to bring this vs eifo, but eventually that game never happened and sadly this squad never got a game in the limelight. Even so, I really enjoy it, and I'll actually include a paste to this one since I love every single set here. Vika has great defensive typing with levitate and its good bulk, and with just Buzz and Volt Switch is extremely difficult to switch into without Steelix, or something like P2. I call this team a webs team but webs is honestly just the extra icing on the cake, its frequently unneeded and the raw presence of Vika is what counts. I don't think I saw anyone else make much use of this monster, but it is seriously underrated and you should give it a spin. At the time of this team Inteleon was also a big threat and one of my favorite mons, and here I have the snipe shot focus energy set paired with another one of my favorite mons (perhaps top 5 in RU, honestly) in CM Gardevoir. The two can often break shared checks for each other, intel breaking stuff like keys for gard, and gard things like p2/fat waters for intel (gard is pretty much unwallable honestly). Both are also fantastic wincons on their own, Gardevoir just has amazing stats and moves and trace is super nice, + intel had speed and immediate power with crit snipe shot, + a decent sigi check which was a concern at the time. After GBro rose and sigi got banned, I added air slash > dark pulse to check virizion, and its also useful to hit toxi which is a big threat. Toad provided rocks and utility vs opposing intel/skewda and toxicroak. Furthermore tangela was really popular at this time, so I've got knock off + sludge bomb to cleanly knock it out. Incindentally, this is also the best defensive set for pressuring things like xatu and mantine trying to block hazards. SD Steelvally provides important defensive utility, a pivot to create set-up opportunities, and is a wincon in itself. Finally, as it usually does, Scrafty is here to steal the show every other game, providing a ton of utility and a sweeper like no other.

This team is probably my best in our most recent meta, before DLC2 took over. Roman for a long time was wanting to use something cool with Steelix + Mantine, and while we both weren't super high on mantine I ended up making it finally happen, though completely by accident. Actually, the origin of this team actually began with Lapras. Kingdra had just dropped, and I was toying with the idea of a shell armor lapras to hard counter it, as it has good stats and it is also actually very difficult to switch into surf + freeze dry. Eventually though, the fighting weakness proved to be too large a liability especially vs things like steelix, so I ended up going for Mantine instead. The tech I chose here was Calm + Mirror Coat, which could cover some of the things I intended for Lapras like TBolt goodra (Soulgazer actually ended up facing thunder, which it can also tank, but got the knockout on draco), Dragalge, and Focus Energy Kingdra if you get the sub turns correct. I ended up settling on Dragalge + Lix to round out my defensive core, with CM Espeon as a final utility piece for hazards and to check fighters / sigi, which was still legal that week (though we ended up gentlemanning it, so I changed the set to Psychic > Stored for immediate power). Scrafty was the main wincon of the team, early on with the protect set to make use of tspikes in addition to the normal benefits, but later DD + BU to better handle Steelix, though both are good. Ninjask finally also makes great use of tspikes, and provides a more sturdy fighter check + general revenge killer and cleaner. I think later we saw another team used a few times which was similar, using an Indeedee iirc, and it was really cool to see a similar team structure also succeed.

One of my newest fave mons and a huge reason for that team's success is this poisonous little seahorse right here:

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast / Surf
- Toxic Spikes

Dragalge is SO. GOOD. Its defensive typing is really fantastic, and further augmented by its really good bulk which can allow it to trade with a lot of mons, and hard wall many more. After rhyperior left for OU I actually really prefer to run max HP to maximize what Dragalge can tank, and max Spa as this is huge to pick up OHKOs vs some neutral targets with Adaptability Draco. I prefer Sludge Bomb for the poison fish chance vs things like P2, Milo, etc. and we all already know how good TSpikes is. I think the other main important thing here is I actually strongly dislike Flip Turn, and found much better use for Surf or Focus Blast. Focus Blast is extremely hard hitting, does a lot more to steelix and breaks Copperjah, and can even check things like Scrafty in a pinch. The downside is the miss chance, so I also flirted with Surf which can cleanly 2hko 252/252 Impish Lix (Scald misses this, and can also get bad burns when you want poisons). I think perhaps one of the big reasons I didn't like Flip Turn was that I strongly valued breaking past Lix, as it is so common and oftentimes teams lack a good answer to Dragalge outside of it. Furthermore, I find that I'd rather be going for more damaging attacks, and if I really need to swap it would be on a defensive mon where I can just set-up TSpikes then manually switch. Furthermore I had Espeon so I didn't really want to click Flip Turn vs Klefki anyway, which imo is one of the selling points. This set is seriously the bomb, but even if you like to run flip turn / faster I think the mon itself is fantastic and so good in the meta rn. I'll close this post out with one more team with it, which also never got to see the limelight:

I really wanted to try out Spikes Goli + Viri. Dragalge is just fantastic for checking Lazzle and abusing other defensive mons like Vileplume which might try to come in on Virizion, since mine is opting for Edge to hit the fliers and centiskorch. I'm not the biggest Sneasel fan this gen but this was giving me throwback vibes to one of my favorite ORAS RU teams, and it ends up working really well here. Lix as usual, and it wouldn't be one of my teams without a magical psychic. I made this team for SG to use but it also never got played, however I think its really fun and also makes great use of Dragalge's utility and breaking prowess. Originally I was trying to make goodra work here, but eventually I gave up and decided to succumb to the fact that I would be throwing Dragalge onto a lot of my teams. This team sort of looks like a typical balance but it can be played pretty aggro, even moreso than the jask scrafty one, which is something I really enjoy. Virizion is also quite good!

That's pretty much all I've got. Before I close this, I want to say that I really enjoyed the growth of the playerbase that I saw this tour. Pepeduce I remember playing you from many years ago, facing off against your Ursaring and Hariyama or what have you on ladder and in seasonals, and you showed tremendous improvement this tour. Expulso you got thrown into the deep end very early as a new player, but I think you did a fantastic job of rising to the level of this competition. Feliburn you have improved so much since the last time we played together in SPL, your overall approach to the game has really matured and your play was oh so solid. Fantastic post btw, you and Evi came up with some really great stuff. I could go on and on about everyone in this tour, but all I'm really trying to say is that I'm really happy to see the level of RU competition consistently getting better and better. Y'all rock. I think many of the ideas developing in these 9+2 weeks will probably carry over to the new metagame, so I would love to read more posts, if I can encourage anyone else to add to the discussion. I'll prompt atomicllamas to post about P2, since I never used it myself but it performed really well and I would love to hear about it from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks for reading!
Ty man, I'd honestly like to say my entire improvement comes from all the comments u gave me back in SPL 9 so I also owe this good record to u. Hope to see u still dipping in RU building every now and then :heart:

roman

Banned deucer.
hi, here are some more cool sets we thought of xd

Virizion @ Eject Pack
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 84 SpD / 32 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Synthesis
- Roar

after a couple weeks I started going insane because no one created gen8 regibro and I had to try to think through my own teams lol. I really wanted to use virizion because I love it, and I came up with roar + spikes to pressure predicted slowbro spam. fv originally brought up white herb so that virizion could be used as a secondary poltergeist answer, but after checking our chat today I saw that axew actually suggested eject pack. now I kinda wish I saw that bc it could've worked really well with something like band golurk to pressure slowbro and other virizion answers (xatu and dragalge come to mind). unfortunately, virizion is just very lackluster in gen 8 without zmoves and the metagame at that time was not welcoming for it, slowbro or not, so I just made a bo team and called it a day

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off

everything else I came up with that fv hasn't mentioned was pretty tame. anyway, the important part of this otherwise standard croak set is adamant + knock off that allow it to ohko slowbro. after using this in week 3 I was pretty hooked and started considering power > speed natures a lot more on pokemon in this speed tier (specs goodra / garde, band passi, etc). it's crazy how long croak has, imo, managed to stay under the radar. it still oppresses standard defensive cores like it did in sm with milo regi and has the potential to sweep offense teams as well

Inteleon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Snipe Shot
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

I thought of this when I was making my team for week 3. ice beam and air slash were the 'standard' picks for the last moveslot on focus energy, but the coverage was pretty unnecessary, as most of the grass types in that meta lost to dark pulse and I had spikes for tangela anyway. the idea of the set is to u-turn to chip down counters (the team had spikes as well) and then focus energy on a predicted sack and own. even if that fails, being able to ohko gardevoir with a 50% chance crit is epic. also, substitute was a cool option that I was considering, but it more or less requires your opponent to play like an idiot and give you free turns if you want it to work

I was going to talk about other cool stuff we were looking at, but I don't feel like it. thanks fv for drafting me and being very involved with teambuilding. I know a lot of people stray away from official teamtours in fear of shitty managers, but I'm happy snake went the way that it did even if I cancered and our team underperformed kek. thanks also to the ru community for being a generally inviting and happy place, I really value some of the friendships I've made over the years <3

atomicllamas

Hey I've kinda been waiting to post until I was out, but now that we're out and I was specifically prompted by FlamingVictini to post I will probably share some of my thoughts and builds. Before we get into that, I once again updated OP with replays, stats, and records.

So first I'll start with week 2, one because I was asked to speak about p2 and two because I can go my whole life without talking about week 1, thanks.

:drapion: :porygon2::gardevoir: :seismitoad: :ninjask: :silvally-steel:

So after I lost week 1 (oops I'm the one talking about it), Kink was like, "p2 seems really cool we should use that". Week 2 was maybe the only team that we actually built together (that and week 8), and our team building process went like this:

K: P2 is cool we should use that, I think teleport + breaker is the way to go, give me a specs pokemon
a: we should use Specs Gardevoir cause I like trace
K: okay lets use that and scarf passimian
a: no lets use ninjask cause garde wears down steels and I think it will tilt nat (sorry nat :x)

Anyways the rest was boring (and mostly done by Kink), but the plan was always P2 teleport into breaker / Ninjask U-turn on switches into breaker. Steelvally also pivots and defogs, and is a steel type. The team obviously worked pretty well, not only in my snake game, but also I saw it get some use in seasonals long after I got eliminated.

You can see our teleport pivot into breaker in the team builder in several of the weeks, on teams built by both kink and I:

week 3 (kink build): :espeon: :arcanine: :braviary: :steelix: :passimian: :golisopod:
week 4 (my build): :torkoal: :leafeon: :charizard: :porygon2: :xatu: :bronzong:
week 6 (kink build): :sigilyph: :arcanine: :haunter: :escavalier: :seismitoad: :passimian:
week 8 (kink built the base and I changed some mons): :milotic: :steelix: :xatu: :vikavolt: :salazzle: :scrafty:

While I was also a fan of the pivot offense that Kink was super into, I was less married to the use of teleport which does kind of force you to use either Arcanine, P2, or a funky Xatu set. I think my favorite team I built was my week 9 team vs snaga:

:heliolisk: :kingdra: :passimian: :steelix: :xatu: :golisopod:

Specs Helio is a breaker that also pivots, it pairs nicely with Scarf Passimian so you can get some nice cyclone action. Xatu helps limit hazard issues, mostly spikes (t spikes can be annoying though), it also has a pivot move, and even golisopod can work as a pivot itself if piloted well.

This was a much less detailed post than what FV or Feli provided but I hope some of my thought process was interesting to some of you. I do want to give a special thanks to Kink for being a great teammate as well as termi who was very helpful for both PU and RU (moreso PU, but u still rock). Also want to thank Eternal Spirit M Dragon and everyone else on the Nagas, really thankful you two trusted me to start even though I was washed af, I always love teaming with you gama and M Dragon I'm glad we got to team for the first time since you were the manager of the SPL team I was on in 2014, I always thought you were a great manager and teammate. If any of the other nagas see this, I think it was my first time on a team with any of you but it was a great team and I would be happy to end up on the same team as any of you in the future.

Back to the general snake thread details. Finals match up:

[LIN] Pepeduce vs Ajna [RAT]

Pepeduce vs Ajna - man I feel like in the later weeks I constantly underestimated Pepeduce in these, so yet again I am predicting against him. Pepeduce has certainly proved himself as a super solid competitor over the course of this snake, and 6-4 is an impressive record on its own, let alone for someone's first foray into team tournaments. Ajna, however, is 8-2, and is one of the most prolific, consistent RU players in official team tours, its very hard to bold against him

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Happy they actually gave pepegoat a chance and it went so well, gj bro
Ajnas like probably the best ru player ever when you take results alone into account, think he probably takes this
Lots of cool replays to watch retroactively as i wasnt following the tournament or smogon at all these past weeks so good job to everyone involved

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Sup, I'll go through some of my teams that I liked.

Basically, at the start of the season I was much more into the NU meta than RU. Building for aim was going great, and our NU slot did well this season, but I felt very uninspired in RU. I brought terrain vs ajna, then won with snaga using a team which was actually made by my teammate Osh, then brought very unimpressive and standard lix-tine-ish structures for the next 3 weeks, losing all 3 and not playing very well. I was in a major rut, not enjoying the tier at all and not really having any ideas. After losing to soulgazer in the third of those games I was 1-4; to avoid tanking the rest of the season I decided that I would radically change my approach. My teammates and I made a pact that I would never use Steelix or Mantine for the rest of the season. Although those were two great Pokemon and excluding them was difficult, it pushed me to be more creative and I ended up doing a little better + having more fun.

===========

Vs Pepeduce: :accelgor: :decidueye: :lycanroc: :toxicroak: :arcanine: :braviary:

After seeing Pepe successfully sweep the prior week with a Sub+DD Scrafty, I knew that I wanted to bring a team that put pressure on him from the start of the battle; that way, I could prevent him from having room to set up. His team styles made me more confident this strategy; due to his penchant to use only 1 or 2 mons above ~284 Speed every game, I knew that fast offensive threats would get plenty of opportunities to force them out. I was also very high on priority at the time, since I think it is very good at pressuring opposing offense; this is illustrated through the rise of Golispopd at the end of the tour.

Speaking of priority, :lycanroc: was my first pick against him. Ninjask was his most common speed control, and it drops to Lycanroc's Accelerock; the matchup was improved by him not liking Scarf Passimian, the scarfer that most effectively revenges Lycanroc. Because his speed control (jask / Scarfer) would be the only thing able to outspeed Lycan, rock dog had the potential to 6-0 many of his teams.

I rounded the team out with some other threatening sweepers. SD Toxicroak, running Cross Chop > Drain Punch to guarantee an OHKO at +2 on Steelix, could also sweep with Sucker (esp. since, again, he doesn't like Passimian). SD Colbur Decidueye was there as a lure to take out Passimian while also giving me a mon that can take a hit or two from Steelix, which Toxicroak and Lycanroc cannot do. Finally, Accelgor sets spikes and Scarf Braviary cleans.

In game, it worked pretty well; a crit Accelerock vs Garde sped things up, but Toxicroak was in a position to win regardless (if I hit a Cross Chop) because the opponent's team was all slower except for the scarfer, Garde.

(One note: Feliburn pointed out that this team gets completely WASHED by Indeedee, which is .... extremely accurate, LOL, that matchup would have been dire. That was the one problem with this but fortunately he didn't happen to pick that breaker)

===========

Vs atomicllamas: :drapion: :lycanroc: :espeon: :seismitoad: :klefki: :rotom:

My thinking for this battle was that I wanted to use Lycanroc again; it's a good offensive check to Salazzle, and most teams struggled to counterplay it. I noticed that one trend of his was that Passimian was often his team's only dark resist, so my gameplan (in builder) was to force a Knock onto it with Scarf Drap and then sweep with Lycan. I initially intended for this to be SD Drap + SD Lycan, but I wasn't able to cover enough defensively on that team.

I wanted to find a way to make Silvally-Fairy work in the third slot; it would give me more counterplay against Bewear and Scrafty, two dangerous threats to that core. However, when I tried to build that team I realized that i struggled to fit hazard control. Thus, I replaced Silvally-Fairy with CM Rocky Helmet Espeon. Drapion complimented it well by forcing a Knock onto Steelix and thus making it easier for Esp to wear it down (and vice versa).

To complete the team's defensive backbone, I added the Seismitoad + Klefki core PinkDragonTamer had constantly spammed in tests throughout the season, in accordance with my "fuck LixTine pact" (and also because Spikes helped wear down walls faster for Drap + Esp + Lycan). I usually go SpDef Toad for Lazzle, but having Lycan made me feel better going with a more phys def spread.

In the sixth slot, I wanted something to pressure Mantine when it comes in to Defog my Spikes. I'd normally go with Heliolisk, but my vulnerability to Bewear (which Espeon didn't totally solve) led me to decide on NP + WispHex + Volt Switch Rotom-N, a cool form of role compression that could effectively pressure standard LixTine cores.

This team worked great, I was very happy with it. I played the start poorly too; leading Lycanroc t1 would have put me at a massive advantage, and I have no idea why I changed my mind and led Rotom.

============

Vs odr: :drapion: :silvally-ghost: :seismitoad: :braviary: :espeon: :arcanine:

Pretty quick post about this one. I ended up getting owned by stall but I nonetheless enjoyed building the team and it's done well in other tests. My premise here was that Drapion and Silvally-Ghost had very overlapping checks; many standard bulky offenses handled both shakily with something like Steelix, which would be worn down by those 2 + Espeon for one of them to break through or Scarf Braviary to clean. Basically, the idea was to overload Steelix by making it check too much.

I felt good going in, since ODR had brought LixTine BOs for consecutive weeks and I felt like I would come in with a big edge. Sadly, ODR had. really smart pick of bringing stall, which gave him a p much unlosable matchup versus this that he piloted well to victory. Counter-teaming stall was not something I consciously considered, and the 3 Snorlaxes used in the last three weeks of Snake when none had been used previously showed an interesting trend away from these LixTine BOs.

I thinkt hat CB Braviary or LO 3 Atks Arcanine could have been cool stallbreakers here - would have considered trying them in the future if this meta wasn't dead. I also played a test game where my Focus Energy Kingdra 6-0d stall, that wouldve been a cool pick but alas. No regrets abt bringing this, ODR was smart to stall me but I wasn't gonna anticipate that at all.

============

I hope it was fun to read abt my building process, even tho my teams weren't the best for a while I feel like I brought some cool stuff near the end and felt like sharing. Thanks to Bebo PinkDragonTamer Osh for the RU help throughout the season. Congrats to the rest of the pool on good seasons as well -- lots of even, competitive matches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)