Smokomodo

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its typing, Smokomodo serves as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, and Tapu Koko. Its typing also allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, which, alongside Morning Sun and Toxic, turns Smokomodo into a decent balance breaker capable of dismantling many common balance cores such as Heatran + Tangrowth. However, Smokomodo has to rely on Toxic to threaten Pokemon like Rotom-W, Mega Latios, and Mega Latias, which easily counter it otherwise. Smokomodo's Ground weakness means that it is also easily forced out by Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut. On top of that, its average bulk allows some Magearna sets to overwhelm it with their Z-Move or coverage moves even despite its typing advantage. Furthermore, despite the good coverage of Smokomodo's STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can easily take advantage of one of them and then force it out, making it very prediction reliant. Lastly, because of Smokomodo's middling speed and bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.

[SET]
name: Balance Breaker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Morning Sun
item: Iapapa Berry
ability: Blaze
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic cripples most Pokemon that wouldn't take much damage from Smokomodo's other moves such as Rotom-W, Arghonaut, and Mega Latios. Morning Sun allows Smokomodo to avoid being worn down by weak or resisted moves such as Chansey's Seismic Toss and Heatran's Magma Storm as well as recover health lost from entry hazards damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Taunt is an option over Toxic to shut down walls like Chansey by preventing them from recovering their health.

Set Details
========

Iapapa Berry is the preferred item, as it can pull Smokomodo out of low HP after using Flare Blitz or taking a hit without losing momentum by using Morning Sun. Metronome is an alternative choice that works well with the relatively spammable nature of Smokomodo's STAB moves.

Usage Tips
========

Smokomodo should switch in against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, defensive Jumbao, and Zapdos. It should also attempt to check Magearna, although it needs to be careful, as Magearna's powerful attacks can easily overwhelm it over time, especially with help from entry hazards. Toxic and Taunt should be used against incoming checks like Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Mega Latios to cripple them or prevent them from healing. Taunt should also be used to shut down passive Pokemon like Chansey and Zapdos more easily. As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and offensive Tornadus-T in very easily. If the opponent has a healthy Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T, cripple it with Toxic. Then, consider double switching to a teammate that can handle it instead of trying to attack it directly the next time it switches in, as the damage from Rocky Helmet combined with Flare Blitz recoil wears down Smokomodo too quickly, while Tornadus-T will regain its health when it switches out thanks to Regenerator.

Team Options
========

Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type moves that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work well for the same reason, and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos. Weavile can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T with Pursuit. Additionally, it can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break for Smokomodo. Electric-types like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut, making them good options to pair with Smokomodo. Grass-types like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract, such as Choice Scarf Volkraken's Hydro Pump and Garchomp's Earthquake, and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up entry hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls. Arghonaut and Ash-Greninja are other Spikes setters that complement Smokomodo, as the first one provides your team with a valuable Water-type resistance, while the latter appreciates Smokomodo checking Grass-type like Tangrowth and wearing down Arghonaut with Toxic.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Technician can be used alongside Hidden Power Ice in order to lure in and take out Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor, although it doesn't do much besides that. Smokomodo can also act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common entry hazard removers such as Tornadus-T and Rotom-W. Additionally, using any of these options means giving up either Toxic or Taunt, which significantly worsens Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W take little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves, although they must be wary of Toxic. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T can take a Flare Blitz relatively well while Smokomodo is worn down very quickly by Rocky Helmet damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Offensive sets can't take Flare Blitz very well, but once they are in, they can still threaten Smokomodo with their powerful Hurricane.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however, it can be crippled by Toxic, and Taunt can prevent it from freely using Recover and allows Smokomodo to overwhelm it over time. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but it can't switch in directly.

**Ground-types**: Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKO after Flare Blitz recoil, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch in once. Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. However, all three need to watch for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice.

**Other Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Krilowatt, Mega Crucibelle, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam can force out Smokomodo thanks to their superior speed, although most of them will require some previous damage in order to KO.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Mx, 298148]]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy, 395754], [Jho, 208105], [snake_rattler, 227784]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]
[/hide]

Last edited:
comments in purple things to remove in red
[OVERVIEW]

-Smokomodo serves as a decent stallbreaker thanks to its great typing thanks to its typing, which allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, and its access to Taunt and Morning Sun. I disagree with the statement that it is a decent stallbreaker; it is a mediocre stallbreaker if anything, because it's often just incapable of switching into play and actually breaking stuff like Arghonaut. I'd rather focus this on it being a good balance breaker and then say that it can break stall, but a lot of circumstances have to be met.
-With these tools, Smokomodo can dismantle many common balance cores like Heatran+Tangrowth. Interpret this into the above rather than a separate sentence.
-Even walls that avoid being 2HKOed like Arghonaut are unable to switch in repeatedly because of Taunt. If anything this is a point against Smokomodo, because it shows how reliant it is on safely getting a Taunt off.
-Its typing also allows it to serve as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Tapu Koko. Mega Mawile does way too much to Smokomodo for it to even be a notable soft check.

-However, Smokomodo's Ground-type weakness means that is easily forced out by bulky Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut.
-It's average bulk makes it so that threats such as Magearna and Heatran can still overwhelm Smokomodo with their Z-Move or coverage moves. You mention Heatran already.
-Despite the good coverage of its STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can take advantage of one of them and easily force it out, making Smokomodo very prediction-reliant.
-Because of its middling speed and mediocre bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.
I'd definitely add a mention of Mega Latios and Mega Latias.

[SET]
name: Stallbreaker
move 3: Morning Sun
move 4: Taunt
item: Metronome / Soft Sand

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Morning Sun
-Taunt is used to shut down walls like Chansey by preventing them from recovering their health.

Set Details
========

-Metronome helps to break walls like Arghonaut, Zapdos, and Chansey with repeated attacks. Zapdos and Chansey are walled by Smokomodo; they're not the reason why it runs Metronome. I'd honestly just say that because of Smokomodo's good neutral coverage, it has relatively spammable moves and that works well in tandem with Metronome.
-Alternatively, Soft Sand gives Earthquake an immediate boost in power.

Usage Tips
========

-Smokomodo should switch in against threats against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Magearna, Tapu Koko, Celesteela, and Zapdos. You already mention Magearna later on. I think you should probably add defensive Jumbao to the list too.
-It should also attempt to check Heatran and Magearna, although it needs to be careful against these, as their powerful attacks can easily overwhelm Smokomodo with the right prediction.
-Use Taunt to completely shut down walls like Chansey and to prevent checks like Arghonaut and Mega Latios from freely using Recover, although the latter needs to be done while it switches in. You also have to hit Arghonaut on the switch in or predict when it'll use Recover. Knock Off cripples Smokomodo far too much and Earthquake does too much for it to just heal off with Morning Sun.
-As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and Tornadus-T in very easily. Honestly not sure of the Tornadus-T mention, because even if Smokomodo does use Flare Blitz, it'll just do 35% to itself with Rocky Helmet and Flare Blitz recoil, while Tornadus-T just shrugs it off.

Team Options
========

-Pursuit trappers like Weavile and Mega Tyranitar can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T, some of its most prominent checks. Weavile can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break and Mega Tyranitar provides valuable Stealth Rock support. I don't like the Mega Tyranitar mention at all. Although Smokomodo actually provides a lot to Mega Tyranitar teams in theory, it's just far too easy to wear down with the cut in recovery from Morning Sun.
-Electric-types like Krilowatt, Tapu Koko and Zapdos Rotom-W are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut,making them good options to pair with Smokomodo. The last one also provides a valuable Ground-type immunity, allowing it to check Landorus-T and Gliscor too. Simply more relevant and doesn't lose to Stealth Rock.
-Grass types like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract like?? and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls.
-Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type move that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work for the same reason, and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Technician can be used alongside Hidden Power Ice in order to lure in Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor, although it doesn't do much besides that.
-Smokomodo can act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common forms of hazard removal such as Tornadus-T, Rotom-W, and Gliscor.
-Using any of these options means giving up either Taunt or Morning Sun, which would significantly worsen Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W takes little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves. Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKOes after recoil damage, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch once, and they both need to watch up for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice. Tornadus-T can't take Flare Blitz well but once it's in, it can threaten Smokomodo with its powerful Hurricane.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however Taunt means that it will have trouble keeping itself healthy and it can be overwhelmed with repeated Metronome-boosted Earthquakes. You could probably place a bit more emphasis on how prediction reliant Smokomodo is in this situation. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz, but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but has a hard time switching in directly.

**Ground-types**: Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. Colossoil is incapable of switching in, but it can tank one move and retaliate if necessary.

**Other faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Krilowatt, Mega Crucibelle, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam can force out Smokomodo thanks to their superior speed, although most of them will require some previous damage in order to KO.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
I'm not going to stamp this yet.

On another note, this is also my 2K post. I'll try and keep it short, but my time on Smogon has been amazing and I do not plan on stopping any time soon.
No particular order!!

Mellow - You're a great friend, I really appreciate every day we talk about whatever the fuck. I know that you don't think that you'll be able to get a Contributor badge, but I'm sure that you will, you're a great writer.

Leo GMars - I am really grateful to you for giving me a shot on the OU QC team, if I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am now. You guys are both great friends to talk to too.

locri - No matter how much I may meme you with your abstract word choices, we're still good friends. You're probably one of the best writers on Smogon right now, keep up the great work man.

Finchinator - Thank you for giving me my ladybug, it really meant a lot to me, even if it may not look like it because I took a break not too long after that. You're the best Forum Leader OU could ask for for sure, keep up the great work!

snake_rattler - Thanks to you I'm where I am right now, thank you for giving me a chance on the CAP QC team and eventually even making me a mod! Besides that, you're also a really great friend that I really look up to.

Jho xavgb SHSP Mx LucarioOfLegends - You guys are the best QC team I could've asked for. Since I joined the QC team, the QC team has grown a lot and I'm really proud of it, thanks to you guys!

Nuked - Even though we don't talk as much as we used to, you're a really amazing person. Even though you're saying you've kind of plateau'd on Smogon, I am confident that you will achieve much more sooner rather than later.

Talah - You're a really great person that's pleasant to talk to. Moreover, you're doing really well in tournaments recently and are very motivated to contribute, keep up the great work.

Drapionswing Birkal - Thank you for taking a shot at me during CAPTT, my time on the Argho's was great and without that opportunity I definitely wouldn't be playing CAP right now.

TPP - Even though we don't talk a lot, whenever we do, you're really chill. Congrats on becoming the RMT Leader, keep up the great work.

Indigo Plateau - You're a great mod, quality QC checker, and amazing poster, keep the good work coming!

uwu Sith Lord uwu - You're one of the best, most strict OU mods and also an amazing person to talk to, keep it up!

tondas - You're really cool to talk to whenever there's a PU suspect and even when there isn't. I really like the work that you do for PU, big fan.

Rabia - Even though we don't talk too often, whenever we do, it's always really fun. Keep the great work coming!

Estronic - Keep up the quality AM GPs, I'm sure you'll be accepted onto the GP team sooner rather than later.

HarrisIsAwesome - Even though you haven't had a great run this SPL, you're really motivated and I'm sure that you'll be able to bounce back in the future. The 2 years that we have been friends have been 2 really great years. Thank you.

Crew - Crew is such a nice place to talk, thank you for the great times there. No tags because I am too lazy to tag each one of you, but you know who you are.

Last edited:
comments in purple things to remove in red
[OVERVIEW]

-Smokomodo serves as a decent balance breaker capable of dismantling many common balance cores such as Heatran+Tangrowth thanks to its great typing, which allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, and its access to Taunt and Morning Sun.
-Once its answers are weakened, Smokomodo is able to break through Stall teams with ease.
-Its typing also allows it to serve as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, and Tapu Koko.

-However, Smokomodo's typing still leaves it open to Rotom-W, Mega Latios, and Mega Latias, which resist both its STAB and have the coverage to deal with it.
-Its Ground-type weakness means that is easily forced out by Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut.
-It's average bulk makes it so that Magearna can still overwhelm Smokomodo with its Z-Move or coverage moves.
-Despite the good coverage of its STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can take advantage of one of them and easily force it out, making Smokomodo very prediction-reliant.
-Because of its middling speed and bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.

[SET]
name: Stallbreaker !!!
move 4: Taunt
item: Metronome / Soft Sand

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Morning Sun allows Smokomodo to avoid being worn down by weak or resisted moves such as Heatran's Magma Storm and Chansey's Seismic Toss
-Taunt is used to shut down walls like Chansey by preventing them from recovering their health.

Set Details
========

-Metronome is the preferred item, as it works well with the relatively spammable nature of Smokomodo's STAB moves.
-Alternatively, Soft Sand gives Earthquake an immediate boost in power. Does this help with anything in particular? If it doesn't, it should probably be dropped as a slash.

Usage Tips
========

-Smokomodo should switch in against threats against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, defensive Jumbao and Zapdos.
-It should also attempt to check Heatran and Magearna, although it needs to be careful against these, as their powerful attacks can easily overwhelm Smokomodo with the right prediction. Rather than the right prediction, I'd say that they can overwhelm it over time when factoring in hazards etc.
-Use Taunt to completely shut down walls like Chansey and while checks like Arghonaut and Mega Latios are switching in to prevent them from freely using Recover.
-As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and offensive Tornadus-T in very easily.
-If the opponent has a healthy Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T, consider double switching to a teammate that can handle it instead of trying to directly attack it on the switch, as the damage from Rocky Helmet combined with Flare Blitz recoil would wear down Smokomodo too fast, while Tornadus-T will regain its health back when it switches out thanks to Regenerator.

Team Options
========

-Weavile can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T with Pursuit. Additionally, it can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break for Smokomodo.
-Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type move that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work well for the same reason and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos.
-Electric-types like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut, making them good options to pair with Smokomodo.
-Grass types like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract, such as Choice Scarf Volkraken's Hydro Pump and Landorus-T's Earthquake, and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. I'm not sure about the Landorus-T mention because Choice Scarf kinda sucks right now. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Technician can be used alongside Hidden Power Ice in order to lure in Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor, although it doesn't do much besides that.
-Smokomodo can act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common forms of hazard removal such as Tornadus-T and Rotom-W.
-Using any of these options means giving up either Taunt or Morning Sun, which would significantly worsen Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W takes little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves. Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKOes after recoil damage, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch once, and they both need to watch up for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice. Move Gliscor and Landorus-T to the Ground-types section. Tornadus-T can't take Flare Blitz well but once it's in, it can threaten Smokomodo with its powerful Hurricane. Tornadus-T takes Flare Blitz decently well when considering that Regenerator mitigates most of it.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however Taunt means that it will have trouble keeping itself healthy and it can be overwhelmed with repeated Metronome-boosted Earthquakes if you pick Smookomodo's moves correctly. You're forced to switch up moves so this reads like it is kinda misleading, although I get your point. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz, but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but can't switch in directly.

**Ground-types**: Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. Colossoil is incapable of switching in, but it can tank one move and retaliate if necessary.

**Other faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Krilowatt, Mega Crucibelle, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam can force out Smokomodo thanks to their superior speed, although most of them will require some previous damage in order to KO.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy, 395754], [, ], [, ]]
1/3, this is a lot better now :blobthumbsup:

add, remove, comment

[OVERVIEW]

-Smokomodo serves as a decent balance breaker capable of dismantling many common balance cores such as Heatran+Tangrowth thanks to its great typing, which allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, and its access to Taunt and Morning Sun.
-Once its answers are weakened, Smokomodo is able to break through Stall teams with ease.
-Its typing also allows it to serve as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, and Tapu Koko. (Make this point first and emphasise how important it's typing, and hence its role as a way to check both Mage and Koko, is. As it stands this is the premier reason to build with Smoko)

-However, Smokomodo's typing still leaves it open to Rotom-W, Mega Latios, and Mega Latias, which resist both its STAB and have the coverage to deal with it. (Mention that they fear Toxic)
-Its Ground-type weakness means that is easily forced out by Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut.
-Its average bulk makes it so that some Magearna sets can still overwhelm Smokomodo with its Z-Move or coverage moves.
-Despite the good coverage of its STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can easily take advantage of one of them and then force it out, making Smokomodo very prediction-reliant.
-Because of its middling speed and bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.

[SET]
name: Morning Sun
move 4: Taunt / Toxic
item: Metronome / Iapapa Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Morning Sun allows Smokomodo to avoid being worn down by weak or resisted moves such as Heatran's Magma Storm and Chansey's Seismic Toss as well as recover off recoil from Flare Blitz and damage from entry hazards.
-Alternatively, Toxic can cripple Pokemon that wouldn't take much damage from Smokomodo's other moves such as Rotom-W, Arghonaut, and Mega Latios.

Set Details
========

-Metronome is the preferred item, as it works well with the relatively spammable nature of Smokomodo's STAB moves.
-Iapapa Berry allows Smokomodo to recover HP without losing momentum once.

Usage Tips
========

-Smokomodo should switch in against threats against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, defensive Jumbao and Zapdos.
-It should also attempt to check Heatran Tapu Koko and Magearna, although it needs to be careful against these, as their powerful attacks can easily overwhelm Smokomodo over time, especially with help from entry hazards.(Heatran does a million with Earth Power, coming in on it is very risky)
-Taunt and Toxic should be used against incoming checks like Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Mega Latios to prevent them from freely using Recover or cripple them. Taunt should also be used to shut down passive Pokemon like Chansey and Zapdos more easily.
-As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and offensive Tornadus-T in very easily.
-If the opponent has a healthy Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T, consider double switching to a teammate that can handle it instead of trying to directly attack it on the switch, as the damage from Rocky Helmet combined with Flare Blitz recoil would wear down Smokomodo too fast, while Tornadus-T will regain its health back when it switches out thanks to Regenerator. (You can mention Toxic here too as it makes it much easier to whittle down)

Team Options
========

-Weavile can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T with Pursuit. Additionally, it can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break for Smokomodo.
-Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type move that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work well for the same reason and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos.
-Electric-types like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut, making them good options to pair with Smokomodo.
-Grass types like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract, such as Choice Scarf Volkraken's Hydro Pump, and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls.
- (Add a section about Ash Gren and Argh which pair well with Smoko as they can set spikes for it as well as providing it with a water resist. Ash Gren in particular as they take advantage of each other fairly well.)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

-Smokomodo can act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common forms of hazard removal such as Tornadus-T and Rotom-W.
-Using any of these options means giving up either Taunt or Toxic, which significantly worsen Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W take little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves, although they must be wary of Toxic. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T can take a Flare Blitz relatively well while Smokomodo is worn down very fast by Rocky Helmet damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Offensive sets can't take Flare Blitz very well but once they are in, they can still threaten Smokomodo with their powerful Hurricane.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however it can be crippled by Toxic and Taunt can prevent it from freely using Recover, allowing Smokomodo to overwhelm it over time. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz, but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but can't switch in directly.

**Ground-types**: Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKO after Flare Blitz recoil, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch once. Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. However, all three need to watch up for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy, 395754], [, ], [, ]]
QC 2/3, good job, lets get it written up! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its typing, Smokomodo serves as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, and Tapu Koko. Its typing also allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, which alongside Morning Sun, Toxic, and Taunt, either move taunt or change the wording, it sounds like its running all three at once turns Smokomodo into a decent balance breaker capable of dismantling many common balance cores such as Heatran+Tangrowth and once its answers are weakened, it is able to break through Stall teams with ease not sure if this applies. However, Smokomodo's typing still leaves it open to Rotom-W, Mega Latios, and Mega Latias, which, although they fear Toxic, can switch into both its STAB moves and have the coverage to deal with it. change this sentence since toxic is first now Its Ground-type weakness means that is also easily forced out by Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut. On top of that, its average bulk makes it so that some Magearna sets can still overwhelm Smokomodo with its Z-Move or coverage moves. Furthermore, despite the good coverage of Smokomodo's STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can easily take advantage of one of them and then force it out, making it very prediction-reliant. Lastly, because of its middling speed and bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.

[SET]
name: Morning Sun Balance Breaker
move 3: Morning Sun Toxic
move 4: Toxic / Taunt Morning Sun
item: Metronome / Iapapa Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Morning Sun allows Smokomodo to avoid being worn down by weak or resisted moves such as Heatran's Magma Storm and Chansey's Seismic Toss as well as recover from Entry Hazards damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Toxic can cripple Pokemon that wouldn't take much damage from Smokomodo's other moves such as Rotom-W, Arghonaut, and Mega Latios. Taunt is another option to shut down walls like Chansey by preventing them from recovering their health.

switch toxic and morning sun down here and keep taunt as a mention

Set Details
========

Metronome is the preferred item, as it works well with the relatively spammable nature of Smokomodo's STAB moves. Iapapa Berry is another option to allow Smokomodo to recover HP without losing momentum once.

switch iapapa and metro, and mention that iapapa can pull smoko out of low hp from flare blitz recoil without having to rely on morning sun

Usage Tips
========

-Smokomodo should switch in against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, defensive Jumbao and Zapdos. It should also attempt to check Magearna, although it needs to be careful, as its powerful attacks can easily overwhelm Smokomodo over time, especially with help from entry hazards. Toxic and Taunt should be used against incoming checks like Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Mega Latios to cripple them or prevent them from healing. Taunt should also be used to shut down passive Pokemon like Chansey and Zapdos more easily. As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and offensive Tornadus-T in very easily. If the opponent has a healthy Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T, after you cripple it with Toxic if you are running it, consider double switching to a teammate that can handle it instead of trying to attack it directly the next time it switches in, as the damage from Rocky Helmet combined with Flare Blitz recoil would wear down Smokomodo too fast, while Tornadus-T will regain its health back when it switches out thanks to Regenerator.

Team Options
========

Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type move that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work well for the same reason and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos. Weavile can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T with Pursuit. Additionally, it can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break for Smokomodo. Electric-types like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut, making them good options to pair with Smokomodo. Grass types like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract, such as Choice Scarf Volkraken's Hydro Pump, and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls. Arghonaut and Ash-Greninja are other Spikes setters that complement Smokomodo, as the first one provides your team with a valuable Water-type resistance while the latter appreciates Smokomodo checking Grass-type like Tangrowth and wearing down Arghonaut with Toxic.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Technician can be used alongside Hidden Power Ice in order to lure in Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor, although it doesn't do much besides that. Smokomodo can also act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common forms of hazard removal such as Tornadus-T and Rotom-W. Additionally, using any of these options means giving up either Toxic or Taunt, which significantly worsen Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W take little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves, although they must be wary of Toxic. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T can take a Flare Blitz relatively well while Smokomodo is worn down very fast by Rocky Helmet damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Offensive sets can't take Flare Blitz very well but once they are in, they can still threaten Smokomodo with their powerful Hurricane.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however it can be crippled by Toxic and Taunt can prevent it from freely using Recover, allowing Smokomodo to overwhelm it over time. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz, but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but can't switch in directly.

**Ground-types**: Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKO after Flare Blitz recoil, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch once. Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. However, all three need to watch up for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy, 395754], [[Jho, 208105]], [, ]]
QC 3/3

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add
remove
comments

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its typing, Smokomodo serves as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, and Tapu Koko. Its typing also allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, which,(AC) alongside Morning Sun and Toxic, turns Smokomodo into a decent balance breaker capable of dismantling many common balance cores such as Heatran + Tangrowth. However, Smokomodo has to depend on Toxic to threaten Pokemon like Rotom-W, Mega Latios,(AC) and Mega Latias, which would be able to (this reads like less of a negative than I think you're trying to make it out to be, so removing this puts it in the proper light imo) easily counter it otherwise. Its Ground-type Smokomodo's Ground weakness means that it is also easily forced out by Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut. On top of that, its average bulk makes it so that some Magearna sets can still overwhelm Smokomodo it with its their Z-Move or coverage moves. Furthermore, despite the good coverage of Smokomodo's STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can easily take advantage of one of them and then force it out, making it very prediction reliant(RH). Lastly, because of its middling speed and bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic cripples most Pokemon that wouldn't take much damage from Smokomodo's other moves such as Rotom-W, Arghonaut, and Mega Latios. Morning Sun allows Smokomodo to avoid being worn down by weak or resisted moves such as Heatran's Magma Storm and Chansey's Seismic Toss and Heatran's Magma Storm (keeps list order consistent) as well as recover health from Entry Hazards entry hazards damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Taunt is an option over Toxic to shut down walls like Chansey by preventing them from recovering their health.

Set Details
========

Iapapa Berry is the preferred item, as it can pull Smokomodo out of low HP after using Flare Blitz or taking a hit,(RC) without losing momentum by using Morning Sun. Metronome is an alternative choice which that works well with the relatively spammable nature of Smokomodo's STAB moves.

Usage Tips
========

Smokomodo should switch in against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, defensive Jumbao,(AC) and Zapdos. It should also attempt to check Magearna, although it needs to be careful, as its Magearna's powerful attacks can easily overwhelm Smokomodo over time, especially with help from entry hazards. Toxic and Taunt should be used against incoming checks like Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Mega Latios to cripple them or prevent them from healing. Taunt should also be used to shut down passive Pokemon like Chansey and Zapdos more easily. As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and offensive Tornadus-T in very easily. If the opponent has a healthy Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T, after you cripple it with Toxic if you are running it,(RC) consider .(AP) Then, consider double switching to a teammate that can handle it instead of trying to attack it directly the next time it switches in, as the damage from Rocky Helmet combined with Flare Blitz recoil would wear wears down Smokomodo too fast quickly, while Tornadus-T will regain its health back when it switches out thanks to Regenerator.

Team Options
========

Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type move moves that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work well for the same reason,(AC) and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos. Weavile can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T with Pursuit. Additionally, it can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break for Smokomodo. Electric-types like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut, making them good options to pair with Smokomodo. Grass-types(AH) like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract, such as Choice Scarf Volkraken's Hydro Pump (should probably give an example of a Ground-type move too), and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up entry hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls. Arghonaut and Ash-Greninja are other Spikes setters that complement Smokomodo, as the first one provides your team with a valuable Water-type resistance,(AC) while the latter appreciates Smokomodo checking Grass-type like Tangrowth and wearing down Arghonaut with Toxic.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Technician can be used alongside Hidden Power Ice in order to lure in Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor, although it doesn't do much besides that. Smokomodo can also act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common forms of entry hazard removal such as Tornadus-T and Rotom-W. Additionally, using any of these options means giving up either Toxic or Taunt, which significantly worsen worsens Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-type immune Ground-immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W take little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves, although they must be wary of Toxic. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T can take a Flare Blitz relatively well while Smokomodo is worn down very fast quickly by Rocky Helmet damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Offensive sets can't take Flare Blitz very well,(AC) but once they are in, they can still threaten Smokomodo with their powerful Hurricane.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however,(AC) it can be crippled by Toxic,(AC) and Taunt can prevent it from freely using Recover,(RC) allowing and allows (optional, trying to avoid excessive pauses so that the sentence doesn't read choppy) Smokomodo to overwhelm it over time. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz,(RC) but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but it can't switch in directly.

**Ground-types**: Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKO after Flare Blitz recoil, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch in once. Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. However, all three need to watch up for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice.

**Other faster Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Krilowatt, Mega Crucibelle, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam can force out Smokomodo thanks to their superior speed, although most of them will require some previous damage in order to KO.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [, ]]

gp 1/2 once done

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its typing, Smokomodo serves as a soft check to many dangerous threats like Heatran, Magearna, and Tapu Koko. Its typing also allows it to hit almost the entire metagame for neutral damage, which, alongside Morning Sun and Toxic, turns Smokomodo into a decent balance breaker capable of dismantling many common balance cores such as Heatran + Tangrowth. However, Smokomodo has to depend rely on Toxic to threaten Pokemon like Rotom-W, Mega Latios, and Mega Latias, which easily counter it otherwise. Smokomodo's Ground weakness means that it is also easily forced out by Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor and needs to watch out for coverage from the likes of Heatran, Tangrowth, and Arghonaut. On top of that, its average bulk makes it so that allows some Magearna sets can to still overwhelm it with their Z-Move or coverage moves even despite its typing advantage. Furthermore, despite the good coverage of Smokomodo's STAB moves, many threats like Tornadus-T and Volkraken can easily take advantage of one of them and then force it out, making it very prediction reliant. Lastly, because of its Smokomodo's middling speed and bulk, many faster offensive threats like Pajantom, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam are capable of easily forcing it out.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Toxic cripples most Pokemon that wouldn't take much damage from Smokomodo's other moves such as Rotom-W, Arghonaut, and Mega Latios. Morning Sun allows Smokomodo to avoid being worn down by weak or resisted moves such as Chansey's Seismic Toss and Heatran's Magma Storm as well as recover health lost from entry hazards damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Taunt is an option over Toxic to shut down walls like Chansey by preventing them from recovering their health.

Set Details
========

Iapapa Berry is the preferred item, as it can pull Smokomodo out of low HP after using Flare Blitz or taking a hit without losing momentum by using Morning Sun. Metronome is an alternative choice that works well with the relatively spammable nature of Smokomodo's STAB moves.

Usage Tips
========

Smokomodo should switch in against threats that can't deal much damage to it like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, defensive Jumbao, and Zapdos. It should also attempt to check Magearna, although it needs to be careful, as Magearna's powerful attacks can easily overwhelm Smokomodo it over time, especially with help from entry hazards. Toxic and Taunt should be used against incoming checks like Arghonaut, Rotom-W, and Mega Latios to cripple them or prevent them from healing. Taunt should also be used to shut down passive Pokemon like Chansey and Zapdos more easily. As long as the opponent has Pokemon capable of playing around Smokomodo, always choose which move to use carefully, as picking the wrong one can let dangerous threats like Volkraken and offensive Tornadus-T in very easily. If the opponent has a healthy Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T, cripple it with Toxic. Then, consider double switching to a teammate that can handle it instead of trying to attack it directly the next time it switches in, as the damage from Rocky Helmet combined with Flare Blitz recoil wears down Smokomodo too quickly, while Tornadus-T will regain its health back when it switches out thanks to Regenerator.

Team Options
========

Levitate users can take advantage of the Ground-type moves that Smokomodo tends to bait, so Rotom-W and Mega Latios are good teammates. Flying-types like Tornadus-T also work well for the same reason, and they also appreciate Smokomodo checking Electric-types like Tapu Koko and Zapdos. Weavile can help Smokomodo by removing Mega Latios and Tornadus-T with Pursuit. Additionally, it can also remove Arghonaut's Leftovers, making it easier to break for Smokomodo. Electric-types like Krilowatt and Tapu Koko are able to take advantage of Tornadus-T and Arghonaut, making them good options to pair with Smokomodo. Grass-types like Jumbao and Necturna can take advantage of the Ground- and Water-type moves that Smokomodo tends to attract, such as Choice Scarf Volkraken's Hydro Pump and Garchomp's Earthquake, and appreciate its ability to check Heatran and Celesteela. Ferrothorn might only resist Water-type moves, but it can set up entry hazards to make it easier for Smokomodo to break walls. Arghonaut and Ash-Greninja are other Spikes setters that complement Smokomodo, as the first one provides your team with a valuable Water-type resistance, while the latter appreciates Smokomodo checking Grass-type like Tangrowth and wearing down Arghonaut with Toxic.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Technician can be used alongside Hidden Power Ice in order to lure in and take out Ground-types like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Gliscor, although it doesn't do much besides that. Smokomodo can also act as a Stealth Rock setter, but it has a bad matchup against common forms of entry hazard removal removers such as Tornadus-T and Rotom-W. Additionally, using any of these options means giving up either Toxic or Taunt, which significantly worsens Smokomodo's ability to threaten passive Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-immune Pokemon**: Mega Latios, Mega Latias, and Rotom-W take little damage from any of Smokomodo's attacks and scare it out with their super effective moves, although they must be wary of Toxic. Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T can take a Flare Blitz relatively well while Smokomodo is worn down very quickly by Rocky Helmet damage and Flare Blitz recoil. Offensive sets can't take Flare Blitz very well, but once they are in, they can still threaten Smokomodo with their powerful Hurricane.

**Water-types**: Arghonaut can tank most of Smokomodo's moves and deals heavy damage with Earthquake; however, it can be crippled by Toxic, and Taunt can prevent it from freely using Recover and allows Smokomodo to overwhelm it over time. Choice Scarf Volkraken is capable of switching into Flare Blitz but needs to watch out for Earthquake. Ash-Greninja can force Smokomodo out, but it can't switch in directly.

**Ground-types**: Gliscor and Landorus-T avoid the 2HKO from Flare Blitz and always OHKO after Flare Blitz recoil, although the lack of recovery from the latter means it can only switch in once. Garchomp doesn't like taking an Earthquake, but it outspeeds Smokomodo, forcing it out immediately. However, all three need to watch for the rare Technician-boosted Hidden Power Ice.

**Other Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon like Krilowatt, Mega Crucibelle, Mega Diancie, and Mega Alakazam can force out Smokomodo thanks to their superior speed, although most of them will require some previous damage in order to KO.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [, ]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)