Pokémon Snorlax

1694897427193.png

Type: Normal
Base Stats 160 HP/110 Atk/65 Def / 65 SpA / 110 SpDef
Immunity / Thick Fat / Gluttony HA

Pros:
-Absolutely massive HP stat and great Sp. Def makes it hard to take out with a special attacker.
-Thick fat reduces potential damage from Chien Pao and Chi-Yu, making it a good switch in to them.
- Solid movepool befitting that of a normal type, with a ton of options for coverage moves, elemental punches, zen headbutt and high horsepower are a few notable examples
-Immunity removes the chance of toxic putting this bear in hibernation, and
Cons:
-65 Defense isn't great, especially with the amount of physical attackers and fighting types like Great Tusk running around.
-VERY slow, meaning you'll want to use this on a trick room team if you want it to pull it's weight.
-At over 1000 lbs, Snorlax takes a lot of damage from grass knot and low kick, the latter of which posing a significant threat when combined with the aforementioned mediocre defense stat.

Terastylization:
Honestly, I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for good tera types for this one, you could go with Tera-Grass and utilize thick fat nullifying 2 of the four things grass is weak to and use seed bomb as reliable STAB, or stick with Normal Tera to make double edge/body slam hit even harder.

Potential set:
1 ton tank:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Normal/Grass
EVS 252 HP /126 Atk / 126 Def / 4 SpDef
Moveset
Seed Bomb
Body Slam
High Horsepower
Ice Punch

This set capitalizes on Snorlax's stellar attack and shores up it's not so great defense stat while giving it some attack to keep it from being passive. Tera Grass turns the tables on attempts for the opponent to use a fighting move on it and Seed Bomb becomes STAB under its effects. High horsepower and ice punch are there to threaten any poison or flying types that might try to rain on Snorlax's parade. It isn't foolproof though, as a weezing with levitatecan ignore the high horsepower.

Cringe Game Freak not giving Snorlax Slack Off like it's been begging for since gen 4 >:(

Anyway, that set is um... not great. 4 Attacks Lax is bad since it has no way of setting up or otherwise capitalizing on its bulk, and the EV spread is a mess... Why'd you give it 126 Attack and Defense EVs (which are functionally just 124 EVs since only every 4 EVs increase your stats)? If you want to patch up Lax's Defense, why not just max that out? What KOs are you getting with 124 Attack EVs that you wouldn't otherwise?

EDIT: Also Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu are banned, why would you mention them lol

I would replace the set in the OP with this one.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Rest

This is probably the best Snorlax can do in OU. If you want to go offensive a Choice Band set with Double Edge can theoretically work, however it has to deal with a lot of Ghost and Steels like Corviknight that it just can't beat. It also lost Selfdestruct and Pursuit so it's a lot worse at running Choice Band than it was in Sun / Moon.

Reactions: Eve

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
-Thick fat reduces potential damage from Chien Pao and Chi-Yu, making it a good switch in to them.
Neither of these Pokemon are in OU, and Chien-Pao typically runs either Tera Dark Crunch or Sacred Sword regardless

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Rest
This is good, Tera Fairy and Poison are probably the go-tos for a set like this!

Last edited:
Cringe Game Freak not giving Snorlax Slack Off like it's been begging for since gen 4 >:(

Anyway, that set is um... not great. 4 Attacks Lax is bad since it has no way of setting up or otherwise capitalizing on its bulk, and the EV spread is a mess... Why'd you give it 126 Attack and Defense EVs (which are functionally just 124 EVs since only every 4 EVs increase your stats)? If you want to patch up Lax's Defense, why not just max that out? What KOs are you getting with 124 Attack EVs that you wouldn't otherwise?

EDIT: Also Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu are banned, why would you mention them lol
Look buddy, I wasn't sure if curse was allowed on Snorlax so I didn't add it to the moveset alright?. I know Smogon has a lot of banned moves like baton pass, and I wasn't sure if Curselax was elligible. I'll freely admit I don't keep up with the metagame on here and wanted to post a thread on a mon that could become more defensive with thick fat, but since Mamoswine was taken I went with Snorlax.

Look buddy, I wasn't sure if curse was allowed on Snorlax so I didn't add it to the moveset alright?. I know Smogon has a lot of banned moves like baton pass, and I wasn't sure if Curselax was elligible.
Curselax has been eligible since its introduction. Moves are rarely ever banned over Pokémon except when they're fundamentally uncompetitive or broken (As is the case with OHKO moves, evasion moves, Last Respects, Baton Pass and Shed Tail), and Curse is anything but. We don't ban specific moves on specific Pokémon, as that just makes things extremely confusing.

I would replace the set in the OP with this one.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Rest

This is probably the best Snorlax can do in OU. If you want to go offensive a Choice Band set with Double Edge can theoretically work, however it has to deal with a lot of Ghost and Steels like Corviknight that it just can't beat. It also lost Selfdestruct and Pursuit so it's a lot worse at running Choice Band than it was in Sun / Moon.
This is definitely one of the better sets for Snorlax in this metagame. Another set I think would be of value would be its CB set, even without Pursuit. In my opinion, nothing in this metagame has significantly changed that would warrant Snorlax to be OU-quality material. Traditionally, Thick Fat + high SpDef would make it a good answer to Torkoal and sun teams, but Walking Wake makes that a bit difficult to achieve nowadays.

View attachment 552621
Type: Normal
Base Stats 160 HP/110 Atk/65 Def / 65 SpA / 110 SpDef
Immunity / Thick Fat / Gluttony HA

Pros:
-Absolutely massive HP stat and great Sp. Def makes it hard to take out with a special attacker.
- Solid movepool befitting that of a normal type, with a ton of options for coverage moves, elemental punches, zen headbutt and high horsepower are a few notable examples
-Immunity removes the chance of toxic putting this bear in hibernation, and
Cons:
-65 Defense isn't great, especially with the amount of physical attackers and fighting types like Great Tusk running around.
-VERY slow, meaning you'll want to use this on a trick room team if you want it to pull it's weight.
-At over 1000 lbs, Snorlax takes a lot of damage from grass knot and low kick, the latter of which posing a significant threat when combined with the aforementioned mediocre defense stat.

Terastylization:
Honestly, I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for good tera types for this one, you could go with Tera-Grass and utilize thick fat nullifying 2 of the four things grass is weak to and use seed bomb as reliable STAB, or stick with Normal Tera to make double edge/body slam hit even harder.

Potential set:
1 ton tank:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Normal/Grass
EVS 252 HP /126 Atk / 126 Def / 4 SpDef
Moveset
Seed Bomb
Body Slam
High Horsepower
Ice Punch

This set capitalizes on Snorlax's stellar attack and shores up it's not so great defense stat while giving it some attack to keep it from being passive. Tera Grass turns the tables on attempts for the opponent to use a fighting move on it and Seed Bomb becomes STAB under its effects. High horsepower and ice punch are there to threaten any poison or flying types that might try to rain on Snorlax's parade. It isn't foolproof though, as a weezing with levitatecan ignore the high horsepower.
You forgot to list it’s speed stat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)