SM OU So Close...

What should porygon-z convert into?

• Total voters
Since the Metagame has settled (at least slightly), I thought I would try out a laddering team, but its just too weak to a few common threats so I've come here to get the community's help! In case it isn't obvious, I really struggle with Greninja, Charizard-y, Charizard-x after a ddance, Dragonite after a ddance and a few other setup sweepers.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Megahorn
- Superpower

I was really impressed after testing choice-band Bulu. It is a lot better than the sub-seed set, and even if you get predictions wrong, it still generally works out ok, such as 2hkoing rotom wash with mega horn (if you are already locked into the wrong move). Wood hammer ohko's max defense toxapex most of the time and superpower deals a MINIMUM of 75% to a max defense ferrothorn. There is a chance to ohko the standard ferrothorn set after stealth rock.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability / Download
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion

I have ghost as my conversion set but i guess it really could be any of his coverage moves. I was considering either changing it so mimikyu doesn't kill you with shadow sneak or just scrubbing porygon-z altogether, I can't decide what's the correct option. Bolt beam coverage is pretty great but not sure if i should add dark pulse/ another coverage move. I have adaptability to make shadow ball hit really hard (i know download could be even more powerful but its a 50/50 depending on the opponents pokemon and most invest in SpD for this pokemon's download)

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake

Gastrodon is the rock type switch in and deals with metagross, thundurus and keldeo- although i rarely see keldeo anymore. Even with no SpD investment he can usually beat primarina 1v1 too, especially if grassy terrain is active. All the positives out of the way, I'm not that convinced by his bulk, its not that great, and he usually relies on his typing. Definitely open to suggestions on either a better set or even a different pokemon. (I chose him over swampert for recover.)

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Definitely the best anti-meta pokemon at the moment. typing and lightning rod allow it to beat tapu koko, xurkitree, pheromosa and A Lot of other threats. too bad it has no recovery. Marowak is really passive too which is a disappointment, but you cant really go without his defensive prowess. Special defense lets it take special coverage moves well from the above pokemon, and his typing lends itself better to special defense as well.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

I have absolutely no clue what the best spread optimisation is now. This set avoids the 2hko from mega lopunny, but mega lop is not available anymore, so I just kept it the same until someone comes up with a better choice. Mega scizor is a great defogger and defensive pivot, thanks to being neutral to rocks and having really nice mixed bulk. Bullet punch can still do a lot to weak or frail targets and roost is pretty obvious. U-turn is the only way to wear down greninja so its in range of being killed by the next pokemon.

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Fighting]

I really seems like Swellow's buff slipped under the radar, which is fine with me, since it makes a scarily good cleaner now. 125 speed is still incredible, despite the speed creep by gamefreak, and swellow now has bas 75 special attack, up from 50. When paired with specs, thats an extra 75 special attack- Big Difference. I used naive nature because the chip damage from uturn isn't half bad, especially on stuff with no leftovers, every damage point counts. Boomburst hits everything courtesy of scrappy, and heatwave roasts ferrothorn. Hp grass seemed like a good idea to hit rock types but 2x hp grass is only marginally stronger that a boomburst resist so its really just a filler.

Well thats it. The big problem is set up sweepers, that boost speed as well as another stat, since I generally can't take their hits very well. Charizard y only takes 70-80% from swellow and ohko's everything other than marowak, which is 3hko'd, and marowak cannot deal enough damage to it. Greninja is easily checked but nothing can switch in. Dragonite requires grassy terrain to weaken earthquake and then scizor can wear it down so long as its lacking fire punch. Zard-x lays waste to my team completely after one set up.

Thanks for the help in advance

You said you struggle with char-x, char-y, dragonite after a d-dance, and greninja. Scarf Landorus-Therian seems like the best option to remove these, as Scarf-Landorus therian outspeeds all of these (except char-x after a d-dance). Scarf Landorus Therian helps deter setting up. Hard to say where scarf landorus-therian should go, but it could replace gastrodon. Or, scizor could be replaced but then you would need another hazard remover, probably Tapu Fini.
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion/Knock Off
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast / Brine / Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness/Haze
- Defog
You said that charizard x at +1 destroys your team. I'd say use unaware quagsire instead of gastrodon if he's really that much of a problem but then zard y wrecks it with solar beam.
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic
This quagsire is similar to gastrodon but sacrifices special defense in exchange for checking more physical setup sweepers, such as char-x and dragonite. Beware of flyinium Z dragonite, though. Optimise these sets according to your team. You could use thick club instead of leftovers on marowak if you wanted to hit harder on Char-Y, but leftovers may be better for a mostly defensive set.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, i forgot about landorus and he is actually a great idea. Changing to quagsire should be fine because gastrodon dies to a solar beam anyway, ill just have to find a switch in to zard-y. Maybe scarf heatran or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)