So Far, So Good: My First XY Team

Hello everyone. I hope you are enjoying XY so far. I sure am, thanks to this team. Currently, it is 10-2 with a 2.64 ERA and has gotten me close to 2000 ACRE (as of this post, 1989). That said, there is still room to improve, and I would appreciate some feedback.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

One of the top Pokemon from BW OU returns in XY and he's as potent as ever. Now with his Mega evolution released, Scizor can get some nice power with his offensive SD set without that pesky LO recoil. It does lose some power, but it gains some much appreciated bulk and the ability to outspeed Breloom, among other things. He also makes a great check or even counter to a lot of Fairy types out there. I expect him to remain a stalwart of XY OU as he did in BW.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is a fun Pokemon to use. Due to its great typing and stats, it serves as a nice tank, and can check the rising threat Aegislash with Will-o-Wisp, even through King's Shield. Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are the STABs, with the latter preserving momentum and possibly bringing in a check or counter safely. Pain Split keeps it healthy when Lefties won't cut it.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Despite the fact that Starmie gave me issues in (Fire)Red due to starting with Charmander, it is a valued team member here. Its powerful STAB Surf and BoltBeam coverage allow it to revenge kill something that doesn't like special attacks, or possibly pull some mid to late game sweeps. Despite the fact that Stealth Rock is not a huge problem for this team, Spikes and Sticky Web are, making Rapid Spin a great utility move. Sure, losing 10% HP for it sucks sometimes, but Starmie's pros outweigh the cons.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

You are not getting rid of this guy that easily. Ferrothorn was the rock of many teams in BW, and he's back for more. There isn't much I need to explain about his moveset, but the EVs are a bit different. I'll get to that a bit later; basically, it allows him a way to survive a rising threat in Pokebank OU: Talonflame.

Hawlucha @ Flying Gem
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws

Now we're getting into some Gen 6 mons. Meet Hawlucha, the first Fighting/Flying Pokemon. He has some nice 100+ BP STABs in Acrobatics and HJK, with Stone Edge being a solid coverage move. Hone Claws is a bit unorthodox, but it fixes the accuracy issues that HJK and SE have, while boosting their power at the same time and allowing a loophole should Landorus-T show up. Unburden, once Acrobatics is used, lets Hawlucha outspeed some stuff it normally would not, such as Alakazam, Greninja, Mega Gengar, and many scarf users.

Meowstic (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 164 Spd / 252 HP / 48 Def / 44 SDef
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Toxic
- Psychic

Rounding out the team is an interesting set. Male Meowstic makes for a good Dual Screen user due to Prankster. With a Bold nature, he only needs 164 Speed EVs to outspeed most positive natured base 80s. This is a significant benchmark, as most priority users are at or below that speed tier. That way, Meowstic can get his screen up before getting hit, something Espeon wishes it could do. Toxic is for some more support, while Psychic gives him something to do should he get hit by Taunt.

Now I will mention why dual screens help me so much. Among other things, with Reflect up, Ferrothorn, with his EV spread, is guaranteed to survive a Flare Blitz from Talonflame even in the sun, assuming full HP and no hazards or burnhax. Granted, he won't have much HP left, but he will live to tell about it.

Anyway, I have some replays of my team in action.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-58985274
A fun little 6-0 here.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-59604860
Mega Scizor saving the day here.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think about my team.

OK lets go ahead and start with scizor, i am a huge fan of sd mega scizor, it destroys team, i only have one problem with you're current set, I would highly recomend running knock off instead of super power. Here is my reasoning for this, I'm going to assume that the main reason you are running super power is to counter heatran and other steel types. I don't think that this is a very good idea because A.) odds are heatran is going to outspeed you and kill you with lava plume anyway, and B.) outside of heatran i cannot think of another steel type that can seriously hurt scizor, which means that you can just set up in their faces. Knock off on the other hand is amazing on scizor, it's a shame it misses out on the technician boost by 5 points, but more often than not you are going to get the boost anyway, This gives you a solid answer to aegislash and it will give you an easier time dealing with rotom wash who really likes to have either it's chesto berry or leftovers. I would highly recomend taking the ev's out of speed and moving them to HP because it pretty much forces your opponent to use a fire type move, making it a lot easier for you to set up with the additional bulk, but that is up to you if you think the speed helps you more, by all means go for it as it will let you outspeed the defensive heatran, but i must warn you, scarftran is everywhere this gen.

As far as your rotom was set goes, i have a bit of an issue with the ev spread, I'm not quite sure what 220 speed ev's does for you, The standard rotom runs 44 speed ev's to outspeed azumarill, which is really all i have seen from rotom wash's the ev's are much better used in bulk as rotom is not meant to hit hard as much as it is meant to tank so i would even consider taking those spatk ev's and moving them into bulk, Both physical and specially defensive rotom's work well this gen the physical one is my preference as it wrecks priority bird and physical aegislash but again it's a matter of position.

as stated by the fellow above me flying gem is unreleased at the moment, another way to get the unburden boost for lucha that i am a fan of is power herb sky attack, I have also seen sub liechi berry sets do well, but that is mostly in the UU tier, not quite sure if this guy is really OU potential due to it's fraility and the large amount of priority in the tier, but I suppose it isn't necessisarily bad

well that right there is my rate for you i hope that i have been helpfull

I see you are posting replays again. Anyways, you say it can srvive a hit from talonflame,
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 372-444 (105.6 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Oops
Never Mind but how can the ferrothorn retaliate,sure it can set up stealth rocks but most teams have a spinner nowadays.
Flying Gem is unreleased.
Ah Warriors :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)