SM OU Some Mega Absol Dogshit

Magic Bounce is a cool ability, and I hate Mega Sableye with a passion. Espeon and Xatu are psychic types, and I didn't want to use psychic. Diancie? Nahhhhh... I'm packing heat, I'm building around Absol.

absol-mega_zps8db76140.gif

dogshit (Absol-Mega) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

dogshit is the core of the team and the main sweeper. Ngl, he's pretty dogshit. but at least he's fun. Knock off is a good move that is very satisfying to click. Sucker Punch gives priority, and it is pretty useful outside of psychic terrain. Superpower kills most things that are weak to it, and after Swords Dance, even things that are don't resist it. Solid coverage between fighting and dark, really powerful after +2, but still dogshit.

celesteela_by_alolan_sprites-davafi7.gif

click dat x (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Building around dogshit, I decided that this would be either a Hyper Offense or Balance team. However, it is probably better to use a different mega on HO, so I thought Mega Absol Balance would be interested. Steela is phat. It takes hits like Mayweather and checks all tapus that arent kokos. It's immune to EQ, and its generally a good pokemon. Leech seed provides good recovery for the rest of the team. This set is standard as hell.

748-Toxapex.png

why am i a thing (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

I hate this pokemon (never thought id use it), but it made a good core with Steela. Scald burns are nice, and regenerator is great on balance. Toxic puts a timer on things that are tough to kill. Haze can stop setup sweepers and boosted beasts. Posion type is nice to bait people to click the psychic move and bring Absol in. This set is also standard as all hell, but thats what you need when you bring heat.

4062-Landorus-Therian.png

im on every team (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

I wanted speed. I wanted a ground type for the electric immunity. I wanted U-turn. I wanted Defog. I swear this mon gets better every generation. Intimidate is nice on balance. This mon works like a charm, there is no reason not to use it.

42f0c7fdf88e4626e12ca5df78ec5a1b588ba479_hq.gif

kevin spacey (Blacephalon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ghost is a great type. Fire is too. Overall, it complements Absol well as an offensive core. This thing is offensive as all hell, and it makes HUGE dents on every team. Missing with fire move sucks, but it has won me a bunch of games. HP Grass over Trick because I wanted something to hit Water types somewhat hard.

250px-036Clefable.png

cheese (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

I wanted something fat, with good typing, and rocks. I also wanted another check to Zygarde because that thing is a problem. Clef does its job as a staller, hazard setter and potential healer. Thanks Clef, you are one cool pixie.

----------------

This team is fun to use, and it has potential to win games. I used to use Ferrothorn over steela, but I felt very weak to Earthquake. Also, Flamethrower is nice. The team has trouble with rain, but other than that, it is very solid. Absol is dogshit but he packs heat. Let me know what you guys think, I am open to all suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi lilbigman, cool team. Although Absol isn't very good in OU it's still an interesting pick. The team looks quite good apart from a couple of small issues I noticed, I'll go over them and then suggest changes that will hopefully improve the team.

Threats to the team:

785.png: Tapu Koko can run through the team quite easily as your only electric resist/immunity is Landorus, who is almost KOd if it gets hit with an HP Ice. Clefable usually can't take two Thunderbolts in Electric Terrain, not to mention it can get nuked by the Electrium Z set. The rest of the team is electric weak or too frail to switch in.

485.png: Heatran can also be hard for the team to switch into. Toxapex, your fire resist gets trapped and then beaten by Earth Power or the occasional Groundium Z. Another problem is that Heatran gets a free switch in on both Clefable and Celesteela.

113.png195.png: Stall teams can also be a pain for you to deal with. Chansey walls Blacephalon with no trouble at all. Absol is walled by their unawware mon, either Quagsire or Clefable. The rest of the team can't do much else and eventually gets outstalled.

Major Change

423.png> 748.png: The major change I suggest is Gastrodon over Toxapex, making the very effective Celesteela + Gastrodon core. This gives you one of, if not the best answer to Tapu Koko, being immune to Thunderbolt and taking very little from HP Ice. It also gives you a good answer to Heatran if it isn't carrying Grassium Z, taking very little from Magma Storm and threatening it out with Earth Power. Even Toxic variants can't beat it as long as it keeps recovering to stay healthy.

Minor Changes

806.png ghostiumz.png > choicespecs.png| Sub CM > HP Grass + Overheat: On Blacephalon I suggest using the sub CM set with Ghostium Z to help improve the stall matchup. With Sub you setup on Chansey as they can't touch you at all. Never Ending Nightmare nukes their unawware wall, making blacephalon a somewhat decent stallbreaker. You'll have to play carefully to get Blace in without taking status or too much damage, or else it can't break/sweep.

359-m.png Iron Tail > Superpower (optional): Lastly, I suggest trying Iron Tail on Absol over Superpower. Iron Tail hits Clefable and Tapu Bulu, OHKOing them at +2. it also OHKOs Tapu Lele, even without a boost. I don't find Superpower necessary as neither Heatran nor Ferrothorn appreciate a +2 Knock Off, Tyranitar, Kyurem-B and Weavile are still hit hard by Iron Tail. The only other reason I could see for Superpower is to hit Greninja and M-Gyarados, although you can deal with Greninja and M-Gyarados isn't super common and can also be dealt with. So I think this is a decent change as Clefable can annoy the team, hitting Lele and Bulu is nice aswell.

~~~~

The team still has some weaknesses, such as Grassium Z Heatran who has very few answers, none of which I really see fitting.
Stall teams with Alolan Muk or any Pursuit trapper can be very hard for you to beat, your best chance is to double around and try to weaken them while using Sub with Blacephalon to make sure they can't KO it.

I hope you find these changes useful, good luck with the team :]

Importable
359-m.png797-1.png423.png645-s.png806.png036.png

Hi lilbigman, cool team. Although Absol isn't very good in OU it's still an interesting pick. The team looks quite good apart from a couple of small issues I noticed, I'll go over them and then suggest changes that will hopefully improve the team.

Threats to the team:

View attachment 121577: Tapu Koko can run through the team quite easily as your only electric resist/immunity is Landorus, who is almost KOd if it gets hit with an HP Ice. Clefable usually can't take two Thunderbolts in Electric Terrain, not to mention it can get nuked by the Electrium Z set. The rest of the team is electric weak or too frail to switch in.

View attachment 121579: Heatran can also be hard for the team to switch into. Toxapex, your fire resist gets trapped and then beaten by Earth Power or the occasional Groundium Z. Another problem is that Heatran gets a free switch in on both Clefable and Celesteela.

View attachment 121582View attachment 121581: Stall teams can also be a pain for you to deal with. Chansey walls Blacephalon with no trouble at all. Absol is walled by their unawware mon, either Quagsire or Clefable. The rest of the team can't do much else and eventually gets outstalled.

Major Change

View attachment 121590> View attachment 121591: The major change I suggest is Gastrodon over Toxapex, making the very effective Celesteela + Gastrodon core. This gives you one of, if not the best answer to Tapu Koko, being immune to Thunderbolt and taking very little from HP Ice. It also gives you a good answer to Heatran if it isn't carrying Grassium Z, taking very little from Magma Storm and threatening it out with Earth Power. Even Toxic variants can't beat it as long as it keeps recovering to stay healthy.

Minor Changes

View attachment 121625View attachment 121627 > View attachment 121626| Sub CM > HP Grass + Overheat: On Blacephalon I suggest using the sub CM set with Ghostium Z to help improve the stall matchup. With Sub you setup on Chansey as they can't touch you at all. Never Ending Nightmare nukes their unawware wall, making blacephalon a somewhat decent stallbreaker. You'll have to play carefully to get Blace in without taking status or too much damage, or else it can't break/sweep.

View attachment 121632Iron Tail > Superpower (optional): Lastly, I suggest trying Iron Tail on Absol over Superpower. Iron Tail hits Clefable and Tapu Bulu, OHKOing them at +2. it also OHKOs Tapu Lele, even without a boost. I don't find Superpower necessary as neither Heatran nor Ferrothorn appreciate a +2 Knock Off, Tyranitar, Kyurem-B and Weavile are still hit hard by Iron Tail. The only other reason I could see for Superpower is to hit Greninja and M-Gyarados, although you can deal with Greninja and M-Gyarados isn't super common and can also be dealt with. So I think this is a decent change as Clefable can annoy the team, hitting Lele and Bulu is nice aswell.

~~~~

The team still has some weaknesses, such as Grassium Z Heatran who has very few answers, none of which I really see fitting.
Stall teams with Alolan Muk or any Pursuit trapper can be very hard for you to beat, your best chance is to double around and try to weaken them while using Sub with Blacephalon to make sure they can't KO it.

I hope you find these changes useful, good luck with the team :]

Importable
View attachment 121632View attachment 121646View attachment 121590View attachment 121648View attachment 121625View attachment 121647
Hey DragonKnightmaster, I really like the slug option. It really alleviates the rain and koko matchups. My only complaint would be that it gets worn down pretty easily, but Storm Drain is nice and it does its job checking threats. I also kinda liked Pex's poison typing, but Lele is prone to click psychic move anyway.

Sub+CM+Ghostium is cool, I really like the set and Z-move hits like a truck. Does improve the stall matchup, as mentioned.

Lastly, I think I'll keep Superpower. I played a few matches with Iron Tail and I found that I often wished I still had SP to kill steel, rock, dark and normal types. I also don't like Tail's accuracy, but that was to be expected. I dont use Absol as much of a sweeper, I use him as a hit and run pokemon. Steela provides a great hard-check to most Fairies, including Lele and Bulu, so I can play around them.

All in all, I think this made the team better. Thank you!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)