ORAS OU Special Mega Altaria (Need suggestions and improvements)

Hey all! This is my first time posting to the forums and I am pretty new at team building so please bear with me. I decided to make a team with a special Mega Altaria because you always see the ones that run Dragon Dance, Roost, Return and Earthquake. I just need to see what suggestions you guys have for the team!
Mega Altaria
A$AP Goldie (Altaria) (M) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 104 SpA / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
As I said earlier, the most common Mega Altaria I see is the DD set. So I decided to try something new. This survives any hit from a mega that doesn't have any stat boosts after one Cotton Guard. You could run Flamethrower for the accuracy or Fire Blast for that boost in power. People also don't really expect cotton guar Altaria. Since Ferrothorn is a good switch-in to your average Mega Altaria, this set covers that as well. Not many threats after you get a Cotton Guard and you can't get touched by a physical attack if you get two up.

upload_2015-6-29_21-22-0.png
Talonflame
upload_2015-6-29_21-22-0.png

Bird Yeezus (Talonflame)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn
Talonflame is here just for a physical sweeper. I run no item because of acrobatics. I'm running acrobatics over brave bird because I don't want the recoil and rocks would make the recoil even worse. If you want thought, you could change acrobatics for brave bird and give it sharp beak. I don't have a defogger or a spinner on this team so if the opponent gets up rocks , that may be a problem. Max speed jolly lets you outspeed max speed Weavile so he is one of the covers for it. He outspeeds a lot of common scarfers and he also hurts Mega Lopunny. Some notable threats are Mega Manetric, Scarfed/Sand Rush Excadrill and he gets walled by Hippowdon.

upload_2015-6-29_21-22-31.png
Bisharp
upload_2015-6-29_21-22-33.png

Arkham Knight (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance/Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
I was playing Arkham Knight right before making this team, Bisharp kind of reminded me of him, he has great stats, he is one of my favorite OU Pokemon so I figured why the hell not. He is also a great core with special Mega Altaria. A life orb is also an option for him. I am also considering changing around the set and just giving him a choice scarf. But anyway, he takes on Lati twins and Mega Alakazam, and if he gets scarfed can take on scarfed Tyranitar or Weavile. Low kick is also an alternative for Swords Dance if thats your cup of tea or if you are scarfed. If you want me to change Metagross, Assault Vest is also a viable switch for the Black Glasses.

upload_2015-6-29_21-23-10.png
Gengar
upload_2015-6-29_21-23-8.png

Poltergeist (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
He's fast, he's powerful and he has a ton of coverage. He is a very good glass cannon. Taunt is to hopefully stop rocks and his set isn't really walled by many things. Not really much change I could see done to him. Considering putting a sash on him but probably not worth it. Still considering Will-o-Wisp and Hex set. He is a late game sweeper and finishes up the job of killing mons that narrowly survived the rest of the team. He speed ties Lati twins and Mega Metagross. However Scarfed Tyranitar and Weavile crush him. Also watch out for Scarf Lando and Mega Lopunny does work with Scrappy and Return.

Metagross
Steven (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 56 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
Metagross is here as a sort of offensive wall. Assault Vest plus his already high defense allows him to take most hits. He also gets some super high base attack to hit anything that is against him. People also don't usually expect Assault Vest on Metagross so I get the element of surprise. The chances are also very slim for a Blackglasses Bisharp to OHKO it. He also lives a hit from Life Orb Weavile. Choice specs Magnet Pull HP Fire or even T-bolt can do some serious damage on him though. I'm not sure if anything can really OHKO him though besides maybe a banded dark type move or maybe Sand Rush/Life Orb Excadrill.

Garchomp
Cynthia (Garchomp) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endure/Toxic
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Pretty standard Stealth Rock Garchomp except he is special instead of physical. That is just because I hate burns. Endure is to hurt Pokemon like Mega Lopunny or Mega Metagross with Rocky Helmet+Rough Skin damage. You could go Draco to kill most things but Flamethrower or Fire Blast cover Ferrothorn or Skarmory. Toxic instead of Endure if you want to take them out that way. Max Speed lets you outspeed most things. Kyurem-Black, Weavile, HP ice Raikou/Mega Manetric are threats to him as well.

Well thanks for reading this. I am open to any suggestions. Some threats that I have noticed are Weavile, Scarf Magnezone or Gengar. Please post any other threats if you notice any! Any and all suggestions and/or edits are welcomed and appreciated.

Edits:
I have decided to switch out Metagross for the Starmie that Albacore suggested:
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic / Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
I have also switched U-turn for swords dance on Talonflame, made Bisharp Jolly with Max Speed instead of HP and made Garchomp Bold nature instead

Attachments

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the most obvious problem with your team is the lack of a hazard remover, gioves that you have a Talonflame, this is something you absolutely need on this team. The easiest thing for you to replace IMO would be Metagross since it seems to provide the least for your team overall For me, the best way to fit one on your team without changing too much would be by running Specially Defensive Excadrill: it mostly fills the same roles as a specially defensive tank and a check to Fairy-types. It's also able to weaken bulky Ground and Water types with Toxic so that Talonflame and Bisharp can have an easier time with them. Unfortunately, it loses to Azumarill, one of the biggest threats to your team (heck, even Metagross loses to the BD Knock Off set which generally runs enough speed for base 70s). It also makes your team even more weak to Water-types which are already a huge threat.
You have a few other options availible for a hazard remover, most of which are more defnesive than Excadrill or Metagross and therefore may not fit a team as offensive as this. Skarmory could work, it beats Azumarill as well as Diancie thanks to Iron Head, but it is very passive and also struggles vs Water-types.
Tentacruel can act as a spinner as well as an Water resist, potential Toxic Spiker (works really well with Talonflame and Bisharp since most of their checks are grounded non-Steels) and bulky Water (and also deals with Gengar, who looks quite threatening to your team), however it takes a lot of damage from either Earth Power or Diamond Storm from Diancie so it's not a good answer to it.
Empoleon is a bit more reliable against Diancie since it can switch into its STABs more reliably by running full SpD and can OHKO it with Flash Cannon, but it still takes a huge amount from Earth Power its Steel-typing means it can't counter Gengar because of Focus Blast, it lacks Toxic Spikes, loses to Keldeo and Defog is generally inferior to Rapid Spin because it removes hazards on both sides.
Finally, if you're not too concerned about Fairies and are more afraid of Water-types, Starmie is a very reliable Spinner and also acts as a status absorber, counters Heatran which can be very annoying to deal with, and can afford to run an offensive set unlike all the other hazard removers I mentioned, however you become extremely weak to Diancie in the process (though Starmie can revenge kill it).

Other changes I'd suggest concerning the movepools: U-Turn really isn't good on Talonflame, its SR weakness means it much prefers to stay in most of the time. Swords Dance is a much better option, it enables Talonflame to severely weaken ground-types like Garchomp and Hippowdon for Bisharp to sweep.

Since you rely a lot on Garchomp to check physical attackers like Bisharp and Talonflame, I would suggest a Physically Defensive set on it, so that you can deal with them more easily.

Running max Speed instead of max HP on Bisharp is generally preferred since that lets you outspeed defensive Pokemon in the 70-100 Speed range (Heatran, Venusaur, Rotom-W, Suicune, Landorus-T and more) and slower offensive Pokemon that run Speed like Azumarill and pre-mega Diancie. It also helps you win speed ties vs opposing Bisharps which can be pretty important.
You can even run Jolly for standard Garchomp, Scarf TTar that just switched into Bisharp's Knock Off, Adamant Altaria, Modest Gardevoir before it Mega Evolves, base 100s that speed creep Adamant Bisharp, etc.

Finally, if you keep Metagross on your team, run 96 Speed so that you can outspeed Max Speed BD Azumarill, therefore preventing yourself from being swept by it.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (you cna run a more SpD spread if you're concerned about Gardevoir but you have the tools to check it regardless)
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Toxic

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb (for Azumarill and Keldeo) / Acid Spray (for Clefable)

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roar (phazes Clefable) / Flash Cannon (OHKOs Diancie)

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Reflact Type

Bird Yeezus (Talonflame)
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Dragon Tail
- Endure / Toxic / Fire Blast / Draco Meteor

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
I think the most obvious problem with your team is the lack of a hazard remover, gioves that you have a Talonflame, this is something you absolutely need on this team. The easiest thing for you to replace IMO would be Metagross since it seems to provide the least for your team overall For me, the best way to fit one on your team without changing too much would be by running Specially Defensive Excadrill: it mostly fills the same roles as a specially defensive tank and a check to Fairy-types. It's also able to weaken bulky Ground and Water types with Toxic so that Talonflame and Bisharp can have an easier time with them. Unfortunately, it loses to Azumarill, one of the biggest threats to your team (heck, even Metagross loses to the BD Knock Off set which generally runs enough speed for base 70s). It also makes your team even more weak to Water-types which are already a huge threat.
You have a few other options availible for a hazard remover, most of which are more defnesive than Excadrill or Metagross and therefore may not fit a team as offensive as this. Skarmory could work, it beats Azumarill as well as Diancie thanks to Iron Head, but it is very passive and also struggles vs Water-types.
Tentacruel can act as a spinner as well as an Water resist, potential Toxic Spiker (works really well with Talonflame and Bisharp since most of their checks are grounded non-Steels) and bulky Water (and also deals with Gengar, who looks quite threatening to your team), however it takes a lot of damage from either Earth Power or Diamond Storm from Diancie so it's not a good answer to it.
Empoleon is a bit more reliable against Diancie since it can switch into its STABs more reliably by running full SpD and can OHKO it with Flash Cannon, but it still takes a huge amount from Earth Power its Steel-typing means it can't counter Gengar because of Focus Blast, it lacks Toxic Spikes, loses to Keldeo and Defog is generally inferior to Rapid Spin because it removes hazards on both sides.
Finally, if you're not too concerned about Fairies and are more afraid of Water-types, Starmie is a very reliable Spinner and also acts as a status absorber, counters Heatran which can be very annoying to deal with, and can afford to run an offensive set unlike all the other hazard removers I mentioned, however you become extremely weak to Diancie in the process (though Starmie can revenge kill it).

Other changes I'd suggest concerning the movepools: U-Turn really isn't good on Talonflame, its SR weakness means it much prefers to stay in most of the time. Swords Dance is a much better option, it enables Talonflame to severely weaken ground-types like Garchomp and Hippowdon for Bisharp to sweep.

Since you rely a lot on Garchomp to check physical attackers like Bisharp and Talonflame, I would suggest a Physically Defensive set on it, so that you can deal with them more easily.

Running max Speed instead of max HP on Bisharp is generally preferred since that lets you outspeed defensive Pokemon in the 70-100 Speed range (Heatran, Venusaur, Rotom-W, Suicune, Landorus-T and more) and slower offensive Pokemon that run Speed like Azumarill and pre-mega Diancie. It also helps you win speed ties vs opposing Bisharps which can be pretty important.
You can even run Jolly for standard Garchomp, Scarf TTar that just switched into Bisharp's Knock Off, Adamant Altaria, Modest Gardevoir before it Mega Evolves, base 100s that speed creep Adamant Bisharp, etc.

Finally, if you keep Metagross on your team, run 96 Speed so that you can outspeed Max Speed BD Azumarill, therefore preventing yourself from being swept by it.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (you cna run a more SpD spread if you're concerned about Gardevoir but you have the tools to check it regardless)
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Toxic

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb (for Azumarill and Keldeo) / Acid Spray (for Clefable)

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roar (phazes Clefable) / Flash Cannon (OHKOs Diancie)

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Reflact Type

Bird Yeezus (Talonflame)
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Dragon Tail
- Endure / Toxic / Fire Blast / Draco Meteor

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
Thanks for that! I think I am going to go with Starmie for the spinner just because its wide move-pool and I am definitely going to go Jolly nature and Swords Dance Talonflame

Hi nice RMT! Albacore covered lots of the stuff I was gonna say, but I still have a few things to say here:

-First, I second running bulky Garchomp > your current set (set provided below). Like Alba said, a more defensive Garchomp would better check things like Talonflame and Bisharp, but also, bulky Garchomp has nice defensive synergy with Empoleon/specially defensive Steels in general. Dragon Tail would be used to phaze, it still provides Stealth Rock support, and it carries Toxic to annoy defensive Pokemon. If you don't want Toxic, you could run Rest > Toxic, and Chesto Berry > Rocky Helmet. Rest would provide a nice means of recovery, which is great considering bulky Garchomp usually doesn't have one. IMO you should test this at some point just to survey your options and see what you prefer.

-Next, out of all Alba's suggestions, I like the idea of running Empoleon > Metagross (set provided below); Empoleon + Garchomp + Mega Altaria would have pretty nice defensive synergy, Empoleon provides Defog for this team (something ALL teams carrying a Talonflame should have), and it can help with the Hippowdon weakness a little with Scald + Toxic + Torrent. If you really wanna make Hippowdon less of a problem, you can run Hydro Pump > Roar. Considering you already have a phazer in Garchomp, Roar isn't really needed, and your opponent probably won't expect Hydro Pump (calc: 0 SpA Empoleon Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 294-348 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). Also, having an extra water resist is always nice.

-Now that you have a reliable hazard remover in Empoleon, I'd suggest running the more standard SD Talonflame set (provided below). SD Talonflame would provide another setup sweeper and possible win condition in addition to SD Bisharp. The main thing here is that your previous Talonflame set was made for a team with no hazard removal (Acrobatics + Roost), but now that you have hazard removal, it makes sense to run the superior set.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet / Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Rest

Empoleon @ Leftovers / Chople Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar / Hydro Pump
- Toxic
- Defog

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Hope this could help n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)