SS OU SPECS HEATRAN + CM TAPU-FINI - BULKY OFFENSE (ft. 3 Choice Items!)

:heatran: :kartana: :weavile: :tapu-fini: :landorus-therian: :corviknight:

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. Introduction
2. Team + Description
3. Team Building Process
4. Team usage tips
5. Threat List
6. Shoutouts
7. Other Teams

8. Outro & Conclusion

1. INTRODUCTION

Hey everyone and I’ve got another team. For a while now, I've wanted to build around an offensive Heatran, especially one with Eruption. I paired it with Specs to deal as much damage as possible. I paired it with the best possible teammates to make the team work out properly. And yes, I'm using Pinkacross' RMT format lol. Now without further ado, I present you the team...

2. TEAM + DESCRIPTION
:ss/heatran: :ss/kartana: :ss/weavile: :ss/tapu-fini: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/corviknight:

:ss/heatran: :choice-specs:
Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Role / General Tips
: Heatran is a breaker, Poison immunity, and most importantly a Fire immunity. Heatran can be brought out early game and surprise common leads such as Landorus-T or Clefable with Eruption. You want to keep Heatran around since the team has 3 mons weak to fire: Weavile, Corviknight, and Kartana. You can bait a Fire move by bringing out one of these mons, then switching to Heatran.
Item: Choice Specs is used to help Heatran dish out as much damage as possible and be a more consistent breaker.
Moves: Eruption is for breaking and getting some important OHKOs especially since the 150 BP when it's full can destroy certain mons. Earth Power is for other Heatran, Toxapex, Tapu-Koko, and more. Flash Cannon is STAB and hits Clefable, Tapu-Fini, and other fire resists. Flamethrower is a more consistent STAB fire move when Heatran is low.
EVs & Nature: Timid with maximum Speed and Special Attack investment is to help Heatran be as fast as possible yet still maintaining enough power.
Other Options: You can run Ancient Power over Flamethrower but I wouldn't recommend it. Dark Pulse could be run instead of Flamethrower if you have trouble with Dragapult, but in general it shouldn't be an issue.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike

Role / General Tips
: Kartana acts as Speed control and a late game sweeper. Usually you want to preserve Kartana for the late game, but sometimes it can be sacked if needed against slow teams. Kartana's synergy with Heatran is really good (other than their weakness to fighting). Bring in Kartana to bait in Fire types, then switch to Heatran and click away!
Item: Choice Scarf lets Kartana be an extremely threatening sweeper combined with Beast Boost. It also makes it consistent Speed control.
Moves: Knock Off is an all-around good, high damage move that removes items and OHKOs Dragapult. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike are two helpful STAB moves, giving even Scarf Kartana a lot of OHKOs. Sacred Sword is great for hitting Steel types like Ferrothorn, and is often very helpful late game.
EVs & Nature: Jolly with max Attack and Speed to be a better sweeper.
Other Options: You can replace Smart Strike with Aerial Ace if you see Buzzwole around.
Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 342-404 (107.8 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 150-178 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

:ss/weavile:

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break / Low Kick / Poison Jab

Role / General Tips
: Weavile acts as a breaker and Ghost resist. It's your only priority user as well.
Item: Choice Band allows Weavile to break more effectively.
Moves: Knock Off is a great STAB move that removes items and deals massive damage. Triple Axel hits Dragons and Grass types hard and hits other Dark resists such as Tyranitar or Hydreigon. Ice Shard is a priority move that lets Weavile attack Pokémon faster than it and can be used to revenge kill. Lastly, Brick Break is there to hit Steels like Heatran and Ferrothorn for supereffective damage, which are common switch-ins to Weavile as well to break screens if necessary.
EVs & Nature: Jolly Nature with max Speed and Attack gives Weavile the best breaking set possible.
Other Options: Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy types but it's not recommended as much. Low Kick can also be used. A Swords Dance set can be run, it works quite well if you prefer it.

:ss/tapu-fini: :leftovers:
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Scald

- Moonblast

Role / General Tips
: Tapu-Fini is SUCH as great mon in the meta, being a check for Rain, Dragapult, Weavile, Urshifu-R, and more. If you're up against rain, you need Fini.
Item: As Tapu-Fini doesn't have any recovery options, you need Leftovers. Knock Off can cripple it, so you need to watch out.
Moves: Calm Mind is for setting up. Taunt is a really useful move that can help you setup on certain mons. Scald is STAB and Moonblast is secondary STAB.
EVs & Nature: The following EVs ensure that Tapu-Fini can outspeed Bisharp and Timid Magnezone. The remaining EVs are dumped in Defense since Calm Mind boosts its SpD.
Other Options: You can run Draining Kiss over Moonblast if you prefer.

:ss/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy / Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe / 28 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake

- U-turn

Role / General Tips
: Landorus-T is a wall, Electric immunity, Ground immunity, and Stealth Rock setter for the team. Try to keep Lando healthy if a Heatran is alive, this team is pressured by it otherwise (except Fini can take it on). Lando is a common lead for this team.
Item: Leftovers gives Lando as much longevity as possible, especially since it has no other reliable recovery.
Moves: Stealth Rock is a great move that pressures the opponent throughout the game. Toxic is there to pressure their team and basically put their mons on a countdown. It's especially great against other Landorus-T and also Garchomp and the Slowtwins. Earthquake is STAB and hits Heatran and OHKOs it. U-turn is a great switching move that lets Landorus-T get in breakers safely and deal decent damage.
EVs & Nature: Landorus is mainly invested in HP and Special Defense, to make it a better check for Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Heatran, as well as being able to reliably live hits from Specs Tapu Lele and Specs Dragapult from full. However, the 104 Defense investment guarantees that Landorus lives a +1 Life Orb Grassy Glide from Rillaboom after taking Rocks damage. 0 IVs Speed with a Sassy Nature lets Landorus slow u-turn on other Landorus, but 28 IVs Speed with a Careful Nature can also be used to underspeed some Landorus while outspeeding some Heatran.
Other Options: This is probably the best set you can have.
Notable Calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian in Psychic Terrain: 262-309 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 124-147 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 302-356 (79.2 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 568-672 (147.1 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 97-115 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

:ss/corviknight: :rocky-helmet:
Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog

- Roost

Role / General Tips: Corviknight is Defog support, a Ground immunity, and a wall. Corviknight can be used early-game to pressure Landorus-Therian and Garchomp with Defog. Throughout the game it is most commonly used as a wall, particularly to switch into opposing Kartana and Rillaboom.
Item: Rocky Helmet allows it to be a soft check to rain teams, most notably Barraskewda's Flip Turn, although it can't take too much. It completely walls Kartana, Rillaboom, Weavile and other physical attackers as long as they don't set up.
Moves: This set is the most common one. Defog to remove hazards, Roost for recovery, U-turn for pivoting, and Body Press for a source of damage output.
EVs & Nature: The EV spread allows Corviknight to avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Tapu-Lele's Psychic after Stealth Rock damage as well as the 2HKO from Choice Specs Dragapult's Shadow Ball from full HP.
Other Options: I highly recommend running these 4 moves.

3. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

:heatran:

I wanted to make a Specs Heatran team, so I started with CS Heatran.

:heatran: :weavile:

I added a Weavile to act as priority, help force walls such as Slowbro, Slowking, and Toxapex to be significantly chipped, and act as a Shadow Ball resist.

:heatran: :weavile: :tapu-fini:

I knew I needed another Special Attacker and I was extremely weak to physical attackers like Urshifu-R, so I added Tapu-Fini. It gave my team more bulk, and also a setup sweeper.

:heatran: :weavile: :tapu-fini: :corviknight:

I added Corviknight as Defog support and a great pivot. It's my ground immunity and it also baits in Fire types so Heatran gets a free switch.

:heatran: :weavile: :tapu-fini: :corviknight: :kartana:

Kartana was my speed control, and also my secondary physical breaker. It's got speed and power, what else do I need?

:heatran: :weavile: :tapu-fini: :corviknight: :kartana: :landorus-therian:

I needed a rocker, and so I added Landorus. It fit perfectly with my team, as an additional Ground immunity and also Electric immunity. This thing is probably the best mon in OU.

4. TEAM USAGE TIPS

1. Often you don’t want to sack Heatran, as it's our only special wallbreaker and also Fire immunity.
2. Spam Knock Off on Weavile as it's really useful to remove the items. We have Kartana as another physical wallbreaker, so you can often make trades that will benefit Kartana and Fini or the whole team in general.
3. Focus on breaking. This team is an Offense, the long-game will very rarely benefit you (unless Kartana has a HUGE advantage over most of the mons on the opponents team).
4. Don’t let Landorus and Fini get too chipped if Dragapult, Blacephalon, or Heatran is there. You do have other ways of dealing with it, but it’s very difficult to switch into without them.
5. Play aggressively, it’s easy for your opponent’s team to be overwhelmed by this offensive core.
6. Leading with Heatran is often a good idea, as you can spam Eruption, as long as you have an advantage over the opposing lead.
7. Tapu-Fini needs to be alive against rain, or its GG.
8. If you can trade KOs against a fire mon, do it, because this team is weak to fire and greatly appreciates fire types being gone.
9. Be patient with yourself, learning a new team can be difficult. :)

5. THREAT LIST

Choice Specs Tapu Lele is a concern of this team. Corviknight can take 2 hits, but can't touch it back. It can U-turn into Kartana to OHKO. Heatran also walls it, but remember that this isn't defensive, so if Tran is weakened, you can't take too many hits from a Specs Lele. If you play aggressively and don’t let Tapu Lele come in too often it shouldn’t be an issue.

Volcanion is difficult to take on defensively. The team has trouble switching in other than Tapu-Fini, but it's risky since it can get hit by a Sludge Bomb.

:ss/volcarona:

The ones with Giga Drain can sweep the team once it gets 2 Quiver Dances and if Heatran is low/dead. If it is +1 Spe, you can sack something, and bring in Kartana and Knock Off for damage, then Ice Shard with Weavile. It's really the only way to shut them down.

:ss/pelipper: + :ss/barraskewda:
Rain isn't that bad of a matchup as long as you have Fini and Corviknight, but if it is really well played, then you can easily lose.

:ss/venusaur:
This thing under sun sweeps the entire team and you have to play very well to stall out the sun. Luckily, sun isn't too common.

:ss/nidoking:
Nidoking is a threat to almost every team. It has perfect coverage and hits hard, which makes it very difficult to switch-in on it.

:ss/blaziken:
After it gets an SD off as well as 2 speed boosts, it outspeeds everything. If it has Thunder Punch, it's gg, cause Fini is the only thing that can check it otherwise. You can beat it if you play around with Lando and intimidate.

I'll add more threats the more I see them.

6. SHOUTOUTS

Shoutouts to Pinkacross for the RMT layout. I also used their Kartana description and as well as Landorus-T description and EVs :)

7. OTHER TEAMS

:ss/volcanion: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/tapu-fini: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/regieleki: :ss/bisharp:
VOLCANION BALANCE/BULKY OFFENSE (ft. Offensive Regieleki) 1400+ ELO
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/volcanion-balance-bulky-offense-ft-offensive-regieleki-1400-elo.3697897/

:ss/nihilego: :ss/tornadus-therian: :ss/tangrowth: :ss/regirock: :ss/volcarona: :ss/umbreon:
REGIROCK+TANGROWTH+TORNADUS-T BALANCE (ft. Dual Hazards Nihilego & Regenerator Core)

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...al-hazards-nihilego-regenerator-core.3696529/

8. OUTRO

Thanks to all those who made it this far! I'm sure that someone skilled might be able to peak the team, as it worked out quite well so far. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

P.S. Please don't use Shiny Heatran

Last edited:
The Pinkacross RMT's style is cool but the landorus, fini and weavile description you forgot to clear some text from the RMT you copy-pasted.
Ngl your team look good i'm gonna try it.

Last edited:
For Weavile, you should never run brick break.
Low Kick is much better, as usually the targets Weavile uses fighting type moves on, are Melmetal,Heatran,Ferrothorn, who are all very heavy, making it way more powerful than brick break.
Also I would add Nidoking to the threat list as that is arguably the most difficult matchup for you defensively.
For Tapu Fini, I don't recommend substitute, as then you just get walled by Toxapex, and non PW or GB Ferrothorn.
Id run taunt to help with these two, as Toxapex hard walls a lot of your team.
Hope you like the changes.

For Weavile, you should never run brick break.
Low Kick is much better, as usually the targets Weavile uses fighting type moves on, are Melmetal,Heatran,Ferrothorn, who are all very heavy, making it way more powerful than brick break.
Also I would add Nidoking to the threat list as that is arguably the most difficult matchup for you defensively.
For Tapu Fini, I don't recommend substitute, as then you just get walled by Toxapex, and non PW or GB Ferrothorn.
Id run taunt to help with these two, as Toxapex hard walls a lot of your team.
Hope you like the changes.
Thanks for the reply!
Nidoking is a threat to every team omg, it's so good. Every time I try switching in on one, I just get hard predicted and I have to sack something.
I was running Brick Break to break screens if necessary, but it seems Low Kick is better :)
And yeah, after a few games, I changed Sub to Taunt

The Pinkacross RMT's style is cool but the landorus, fini and weavile description you forgot to clear some text from the RMT you copy-pasted.
Ngl your team look good i'm gonna try it.
Thanks a lot! And yeah, I forgot to change some stuff lmao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)