ORAS OU Speed Crashers - Offensive Team

SPEED CRASHERS

Team Building Process. I like straight up offense teams. Fast and Strong. They're quick paced and always interesting. The team building process was fairly simple. I usually start off with pokes that have recently caught my interest. The latest ones were Bisharp and Lopunny. Talonflame had always been my favorite as well and does well to accompany these two. The rest were to fill my holes and I found some other gems, like Azumarill, which I haven't used much of before.

---

---

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is my usual lead. He's a great SR user. He makes a great team with Gengar and Bisharp to avoid losing hazards and supports those two for wallbreaking and sweeping.

Initially, I had the defensive, Helm+Skin set, but chose a more offensive route to deal with the likes of Excadrill. Then I when I switched to this, I found Outrage > DC for the power you get, with or without Lum berry and SD is easy to pull off for Garchomp, so that even if he gets set in Outrage, the damage from it is doubled and doubles the chances of taking down a chunk of the team. Fire blast is for those ferrothorns that pop up.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Gengar is my stall breaker. This was more of a random pick for me, since I was curious with the Hex set. Hypnosis was fun to use to cripple pokemon that came be problems, but even with 10% extra from Wide Lens, it missed too often. Will-o-wisp didn't cut it either. Ultimately, it came down to Destiny bound or Taunt. I've tried both. I'm currently using Taunt to prevent hazards from bulky types like Skarmory that like to switch in. Hex is still there because SW does still Poison often and the damage over SB is preferred.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

As a Fairy type, he's usually easy to switch into. Aqua Jet and Play Rough are usually the only two moves I use and they're usually all I need. He's a key player of this team and covers a lot of defenses as well as taking out several pokemon that can poke holes in this team. Also, I love having all these priority users. Amezeng.

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

This thing is a beaut. Swords Dance is almost too easy to use on this guy. I've experimented with his stats a bit too, shifting from 204 Atk/252 Spe and 252 Atk/204 Spe and the ladder was better due to the extra Punch (pun intended). Sucker Punch is simply a great tool to exercise predicting the target's moves. When I know what they're up to, I go for Knock Off instead. I've seen too many times people struggle with Bisharp that they'd try to Paralyze or Burn him, but Lum Berry is there to just cure that. The extra damage you lose from LO or Black Glasses here is really worth it.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

I know not having HJK is an unpopular opinion, but I've been fine with it so far. Missing with HJK really breaks her and opens her to an attack. PUP and Ice Punch together actually take away a lot of targets. A lot of people expect HJK but are suprised by an Ice Punch user instead. Regardless, I do regret Scizor is a problem because of this. PUP just can't match the strength to take down that bug.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch​

Raikou is my defense against the likes of Magnetric and Thunderus. He provides momentum for the team with Volt Switch for the other sweepers so they can be brought in safely. Hes replacing Talonflame, by doing a similar role but with better bulk, especially with Assault Vest.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

I went with LO over Flying Gem or Sharp Beak for the same reason I went with Brave Bird over Acrobatics. Power. With Roost, the damage you take doesn't mean much anyway. I've tried out a Bulky Talonflame over this set but the speed and power you get right out the gate is something you really miss having on your side. Which is exactly what this team is supposed to represent. I initially had Swords Dance on this set, but the opportunities I had to SD were scarce without opening Talon to a hit. Will-O-Wisp was a better slot choice here for targets where if I couldn't take them down, they'd get Burned instead which would help another teammate to take down the threat.

Last edited:

Nedor

thiccc
the foundation of the team is actually pretty solid, utilizing multiple priority users to help in your match-up against prominent offensive cores / teams, powerful wallbreakers to break holes into defensive builds, while also keeping relevant threats in check or having counterplay towards them. despite this, you still struggle to break bulkier builds that utilize pivots such as rotom-w or a less common option in zapdos as the only way of pressuring them is through attacks from gengar which may get worn down throughout the match, and the rest of your team either gets walled indefinitely or crippled through will-o-wisp.

a beneficial change that i am suggesting is modifying your gengar's item to life orb instead of black sludge to maximize damage output and ensure 2hko's, and using taunt > destiny bond to prevent recovery / status moves from being used which trouble your team, and being able to stallbreak as well. your build includes a very common offensive core of mega lopunny + gengar which aims to overwhelm and essentially beat more defensively inclined playstyles such as stall, semi-stall, and fat balance with taunt gengar, while mega lopunny is capable of beating offense or even cleaning once your wallbreakers get a few hits off. also, running taunt + 3 attacks allows you to prevent rocks from being on your side of the field as you don't have a form of hazard removal, even though you are using talonflame. fighting stab is mandatory on mega lopunny to beat bulky steels like heatran, ferrothorn, and klefki, but with your current set, a plethora of pokemon that you should be capable of beating 1v1 completely wall your set due to the fact that power-up-punch doesn't provide much damage output; for this reason, opting for high jump kick instead of ice punch would be beneficial. another option that should be considered is healing wish > power-up-punch, this provides an excellent momentum grabber, as well as an opportunity for you to play recklessly with your sweepers / wallbreakers early on in the game. not only this, but healing wish can heal up garchomp when playing against something such as physical spam or sand offense which improves your match-up greatly against said playstyles.

i recommend using sharp beak > life orb on talonflame in order to become a more consistent sweeper by not getting worn down so quickly, even if you have reliable recovery. also, swords dance should be used over will-o-wisp to give you an excellent late game sweeper once your wallbreakers have weakened or pressured checks to it. lastly, a jolly nature is preferred over adamant to speed tie with opposing talonflame, which is problematic if garchomp gets whittled throughout the match, as well as outprioritize weavile.

as this is offense, it will naturally be vulnerable to many offensive threats in the current metagame. one that specifically stands out on your team is nasty plot thundurus as you don't have a switch-in to the standard moveset, but you do have multiple ways of revenge killing it through your four priority users. as i mentioned early on in the rate, you do have solid forms of counterplay towards these threats, so i wouldn't worry about defensively switching into everything, this would cause a more defensively inclined team which cuts momentum and isn't what your going for.
--------
Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch / Healing Wish

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

good luck with the updated team and have a great day!

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
My rate:
:]
:[
And use HJK on Lupunny instead of Power-Up-Punch.
Hope I helped, good luck.
Joke, let's get to it.

No seriously, use High Jump Kick>Power Up Punch on Lopunny. It's one of the stongest moves in the game with just 10% miss chance.
Lopunny is very good against offensive teams, Bisharp and Gengar are a huge threat to defensive or heavy stall Teams. I like how these three Pokemon work together.
Looking at your team the first thing I see is that it is incredibly weak to Electric types like Raikou, Mega Manectric and Thundurus. You switch in on an attack and lose a Pokemon because of their speed and coverage.
Also you shouldn't use Talonflame on a team without a way to prevent or get rid of hazards. It is half a bird with 50% health and Hippowdon, Clefable, Garchomp all switch into Lopunny and get Rocks up.
I recommend replacing
(Assault Vest)>
Raikou switches in on Manectric, opposing Raikou and Thundurus. Due to its decent bulk it can swich in a couple of times and then use Volt Switch right after that to gain momentum. Momentum is very important for that team, so that threats like Lopunny, Gengar, Bisharp and Azu can be brought in savely. Raikou also is a Birdcheck, but has to fear Flare Blitz from Talonflame, if you let Garchomp die.

The next important issue I see is the sand weakness. Excadrill does a lot to Garchomp, you can't even switch in once if it carries a Life Orb. Azumarill with Aqua Jet is a way to deal with it but sacrificing a Pokemon once Excadrill comes in is a pain.
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 195-230 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO

Running
(defensive, Rocky Helmet)>
helps with this issue. A Rocky Helmet set on Lando punishes Excadrill with every attack and brings it in range of Sucker Punch from Bisharp. You could argue that Azu beats it already, but Azu is your main way of switching into Keldeo (which is very common) so you can't rely on that. Landorus also helps with the weakness to Charizard X, Lopunny and Medicham (watch out for Ice Punches). In combination with the amount of priority on your team, they will slowly be in range of banded Aqua Jet or Sucker Punch. U-turn allows gaining momentum too.

You need a Life Orb>Black Sludge on Gengar so it can break a huge portion of walls in the OU metagame effectively.
The rest looks cool but I would go for Taunt>Destiny Bond on Gengar, to prevent Pokemon from using Status moves or Hazards. Imagine you are in with your Lando and your opponent with a Charizard X. The opponent switches in his Skamory while you click U-turn and bring in Gengar. Going for Taunt prevents Skamory from using Spikes or Stealth Rocks. Taunt also prevents Pokemon from healing.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

If Mew gets too annoying, you can try Calm Mind Raikou. Mew just burns everything and threatens Gengar with Knock Off. If you use Calm Mind, you can force it out or damage it severly.

Last edited:
Alight, made some changes.

Firstly, I heavily disagree on High Jump Kick>Power Up Punch. That 10% miss chance is more lie 50% for me. On the first turn if you miss, you lose 50% of your health and be open for an attack. I really, really hate missing.

Secondly, Raikou has been doing a great job over Talonflame. I've had a weakness for Manectric and he really helps with that. Currently using the AV set since I haven't run into any Mew problems.

Thirdly, I tested out Landorus and he does a very similar job to Garchomp, but his lack of speed is bothersome. Though, I can't say he's better of worse than the Rocky Helm Garchomp, so I switched it in for a Offensive SR set for Garchomp for that extra power and speed I was missing.

Fourthly, I'm not entirely convinced I need Taunt. To be honest, if Skarmory was such a bother, I might switch it out for Thunderbolt. That is what makes Gengar so great; his huge arsenal. For now though, I'll keep testing Taunt out and see if its better than DB at least. Also, I've replaced Shadow Ball with Hex as SW became more and more my Default attack. The 30% chance of poison coupled with Hex made the damage a lot nicer. The 15% difference (65-80), without a status, isn't too bad either.

For now, I'm missing a lot of "fire power" (no pun intended) from losing Talonflame, so Steel types are a huge pain, especially Scizor. I could use a bit of help with that. So far, I've replaced SD/Outrage for DC/FireBlast on Garchomp which has made a small difference.

Edit: With Raikou's successful match with the team, its made me consider Rotom-W instead with the following set as it also keeps momentum with its pivot volt switch and is quite bulky as well, but with the addition of a healing move. Not quite sure how this helps the team in terms of Manectric though, but its a random thought and I'd love to know what you guys think. I think the Will-o-wisp would help with Scizor as well, since those two are my major threats at the moment.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

edit2: Just tested it out for a OU tourney on showdown. Got to finals pretty easily. The new set on chomp worked really well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)