Tournaments SPL XI - ADV Discussion Thread

permission from Earthworm
thread format stolen from DKM

With SPL XI underway, this thread will be used to discuss ADV OU related topics, whether it's about the players, general metagame trends, matches, predictions and so on. This thread will be updated frequently with each new week, player standings, and replays.

Season Schedule

1576976073055.png

Likely ADVers (Starters Bold):

Alpha Ruiners - Alexander, Valentine, Altina, Sadlysius
Circus Maximus Tigers - McMeghan, dekzeh, Zokuru
Congregation of the Classiest - Tamahome, Teclis
Cryonicles - obii, z0mOG, Garay oak, Jirachee
Dragonspiral Tyrants - Gilbert arenas, CrashinBoomBang, TDK
Ever Grande BIGS - Eden, Fakes, Kushalos, Callous
Indie Scooters - Fear, Kevin Garrett, zf, CyberOdin
Stark Sharks - Conflict, SoulWind, Genesis7, Blightbringer
Team Raiders - dice, pasy_g, UD
Wi-Fi Wolfpack - Charmflash, Star, BKC

--

Power Rankings:
1. BKC
2. Gilbert arenas
3. pasy_g
4. Dekzeh
5. Alexander
6. Conflict
7. Eden
8. CyberOdin
9. z0mOG
10. Teclis​

Last edited:
Rankings of the bolds:

Wolfpack- BKC
Ruiners- Alexander
Tyrants- Marcop
Raiders- Pasy_g
Tigers- dekzeh
Bigs- Eden
Cryos- zomog
Scooters- CyberOdin
Sharks- Conflict
Classiest- Teclis

This pool is quite good despite some big names missing. Top 5 maybe add blightbringerr if he ends up adving are pretty close, but also the bottom 5 are very close as well. Very excited for these matches to begin. Good Luck all.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Even if he didn’t signed up for adv, zf is def an asset for the scoots adv core with his unusual takes.

Alex: he is coming out a circuit win in adv which tend to show he achieved a great reconversion from rby to adv, though ribbon tour tend to be a bit of an over sight in the community so it shouldn’t be valued to much, still possibly a huge threat ti the pool.

Dekzeh: brutus got his own views on the tier than most people don’t relate to, which means his team are somewhat unexpected to people not able to think outside of the box, this plus his experience could allow him to do really well.

Teclis: Teclis is fairly unexperimented and lack of result and is quite known for not building much. Though most people would agree that thanks to his pilote ability he probably diserved that spot. Teclis is kind of the biggest question mark in this pool honnestly.

z0m0g: After some success in more recent gens, z0m0g started to get into adv somewhat recently, althought he proved through his st performence to be a thorough preper and a decent pilote, he has shown a tendency during ribbon tour to ignore some threats in his builds in adv. This tendency might be an issue in the long run, although some player has had success with such builds.

Marcop: just as z0m0g, marcop as shown that he liked to oversight some threats in his builds, for instance forgoing rock resists. The main difference is that marcop had many years of practice in the tier before having success in spl with his takes. And he already, against all predictions, had great success with his original builds, so he is capable of being successful with them.

Eden: Sunny is a somewhat knowledgeable player with some strong preferences in his builds. Sunny’s main downside is his stress, he is more than capable to do really well, but could also just end up doing poorly depinding only on factors externals to the game.

Cyber Odin: Odin has had a really great run with LA this year, and will have to confirm his perf without the help his LA’s usual mate, although his adv backup @ scoots has nothing to be ashamed of. His aggressive plays could really favor him in a pool that tries to renew itself without some of his big names.

Conflict: I honnestly don’t think conflict will stay in adv more than two weeks, although anything can happen. Conflict is known for his original and offensive takes on tier which also match the takes of the most experienced adv players on the shark player list, even tho it isn’t really similar to their managers view of the tier.

Pasy_g: Pasy is a well rounded player that had good results in every of his last showing in the tier, which means that despite his forced break, he is expected as a force to be reckoned with this SPL. The biggest question is, will he be able to end the tour with his team?

BKC: Kevin is one of the most knowledgeable player in this pool if not the most knowledgeable. Though, his adv isn’t really is best tier, and he also showed that he was tilt prone against team that are « overly » weak to central threats to the tier, that some people in the pool like to pick.

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
First and foremost, I am really excited to watch some ADV games this season. I think the illustrious Power Rankings are a pointless exercise applied to a tier like ADV where knowledge is near-tantamount due to the beautiful cycling of information thanks to users like BKC, zf, linear, vap, etc. While some players are poised to have the strongest record because of their experience, the playing field is even now more than ever. I would hope that the general perception of players at the bottom of the Rankings is not negative.

Secondly, I am hoping that the players in this tournament continue to share the knowledge within this community by keeping this thread active and making threads of their own to showcase teams or go over their own replays as a postmortem [like what is being done here].

Thirdly, I would like to begin rooting for my favorite ADVers in the Ruiners package (Alexander. Altina Sadlysius :heart::heart::heart:), dekzeh, eden, and the Raiders package starting right now. Best of luck guys.

Looking forward to some excellent games. I hope someone continues to destroy the meta with Breloom starting as soon as Week 1 :puff:.

Last edited:
Game Analysis

pasy_g vs marcop

pasy rolled up with a TSS that focuses on overwhelming physically-defensive mons, mainly bulky waters, grounds, and steels, through the use of Spikes, Sandstorm, and 3 must-answer physical threats (CB Aero, CB DNite, and DDTar). For this strategy to work, pasy really needs his spikes to stick (otherwise damage on Pert is fairly temporary; lefties+Tect heal 30% quickly) and you can see this in his set choices. A heavily-crept Skarm with Taunt and Drill Peck ensures he'll be able to get em first against other Skarms (especially relevant this match) and keep em up against Claydol and Forretress. TBolt Blissey immediately pressures Starmie so Recover variants can't indefinitely sit in front of SkarmBliss, freeing up a slot for T-Wave over Toxic to help enable CBNite as a breaker. Pert is ProTox over 3 attacks to help war opposing Pert; pasy otherwise lacks a good switch-in with ToxTect-less Skarm and SToss/Tox-less Blissey. HP Bug is generally better on Aero than HP Flying if your team is solid against Heracross, which his is, because it can OHKO offensive CMpass Celebi. CBNite is rarely seen but it works well here. It pressures Skarm/waters better than CBMence thanks to its access to Focus Punch and his team doesn't mind its relative lack of speed because its so fat and he has Aero. DDTar is mandatory, providing another wincon/breaker to complement Aero and much-needed sand to help all types of damage stick to opposing mons.

marcop brought defensively-oriented CM spam with a CM Leech BP Bi to help enable a powerful breaker in SubCM Suicune. SubCM Cune is generally challenging for TSS to deal with because it can trade with standard SToss Blissey and forces out key mons like TTar and Pert; combined with passive recovery from Bi Leech and potential free CMs, it can come out of these trades with enough HP to still impact the match (usually its downfall is trading 75% with Bliss as it boosts, leaving it open to getting revenged). Supporting this SubCune is a hazard core of Peck Taunt Skarm to keep up Spikes vs Claydol/Forre, Gar to spinblock Starmie/trade with special walls/burn TTar for Jira/Dug, and Jolly Dug to trap Starmie/TTar/chipped Bliss. Fat Wish Jira provides potential healing for an easily-worn down Suicune, a soft Gar check, and a much-needed rock resist. An interesting squad to be sure, although it certainly relies on offensive pressure to run the game; if it's on the back foot against certain threats (Starmie, Aero, DDMence) or loses the hazard war, its defensive backbone can potentially be broken.

At lead matchup, we're greeted with Skarm vs Cune. Generally, Cune lead denotes either a heavy offense (with sand) or a fat team (without sand). pasy spikes turn 1, which is pretty free; it helps enable his gameplan and scouts potential Cune sets. marcop goes for Hydro instead of CM, revealing he's offensive and wants to pressure the Skarm (in hindsight, we know he wants to enable CMpass Bi). After some switching around, marcop reveals Skarm and Bi, showing that he's some type of spikestack CM spam without Mag; if I was in pasy's shoes, I'd also expect some type of spinner, most likely a Refresh Dol, in the back. pasy reveals he TBolt Bliss and ultra-crept Taunt Skarm, which is important for shutting down marcop's own Taunt Skarm. pasy bringing Pert into marco's Gar reveals he doesn't have a special TTar in the back and marco's Gar switching out reveals he most likely doesn't have grass coverage. At this point, marco's misses with both Hydro and Leech vs Skarm are definitely annoying for him; it allowed pasy to get up all 3 layers virtually unpunished. On turn 22, marco's Gar gets in vs Bliss and I think he makes the right move by pulling the trigger and booming on it; with no way to remove hazards, marco can't afford the game going long as he will most likely be overwhelmed by Aero and gets aggressive to remove a key roadblock on pasy's team. Right after this, pasy reveals ProTox Pert and CBNite and I think it signals directly to marcop that he needs to ride Suicune to victory; Pert is the perfect setup fodder for his Cune, Skarm is fast enough to die to a +1 Hydro, and the TTar/Aero/DNite are all OHKO'd at +0. After his Skarm dies to DNite Focus, marcop goes Jira, revealing his last mon and potentially making a small misplay in the process. I think this is a tough call on his part between going Jira and going Cune; obviously he wants Cune to be healthy because it's so strong vs pasy and it might take ~10% chip coming in vs DNite, but this also might be the perfect opportunity to use it to force pasy's hand. pasy's skarm potentially dies to Ice Beam + Hydro or +1 Hydro, forcing him to stay in and sac his DNite. pasy would then have to choose between saccing his TTar for sand or going Skarm and eating a Hydro. Instead, marco aggressively doubles to Dug, catching pasy's TTar and giving DNite a free turn to nab a kill. After this sequence, we're left with Skarm/Pert/Aero vs Cune/Dug/Bi and we see marco do his best to force a situation where Cune can recover some HP and potentially muscle past 0 SpA Pert with some Surf low rolls, but pasy_g reveals that he's 84 SpA Pert, meaning marco needed 3 basically min rolls to keep his Sub up. pasy doesn't have many options in this scenario except what he did because he needs to either break Sub on Cune or force it to Rest and aggressively double to Aero for the 3HKO while it's asleep, and he does exactly the sequence that would give him an out in either scenario.

Hope to do this for some more matches this week and throughout the season

Last edited:

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Great post zf, you went in-depth to show the composition of both teams, and I particulary liked how you highlighted Dnite's niche over Mence, especially in that team.

Week 1 thoughts:

Stats:

• I think that's the first time I ever see Blissey as the most used Pokemon for a week of SPL. It's always been Tyranitar or some other highly popular and splashable mons like Pert/Gross. Skarmory also saw a lot of usage and the most surprising thing probably is that we got a grand total of 0 Magneton. Just a weird week all around.
Games:
  • eden started off strong vs Odin but fucked up the ending in my opinion after playing to a very great position. Although the freeze on Gengar was certainly unfortunate, he could have healed Skarmory with Blissey & Leftovers. Skarm would have then proceeded to shuffle a bit to kill Forretress and/or even Dugtrio. With those two out of the ways, Starmie and Blissey had a field day ppstalling Odin. All he needed honestly was to kill Forre with Spikes soe Odin would lose his option to trap Starmie before a Spin/Recover like he did later in the game and as a result Milotic did Milotic things and won.
  • The funny thing about Teclis vs Zom, is that if Teclis just brought Cune to the game, without 5 partners, he probably would have won by not giving Zom the options to use Spikes & Roar. I feel like both players didnt play too well with their best tools, in Teclis case Claydol & Cune and Zom with Gengar. Overall though, the matchup was probably in Teclis favor between Cune/Jirachi/Claydol and Zom did more to get that win, even tho he had to rely on a lot of luck to get there (pretty ironic to get an early and long freeze when you're being trucked with Serene Grace Ice Punches right?).
  • BKC vs Conflict graced us some premium gameplay from Kevin, and a very interesting team at that, abusing passive damages greatly through Sand, Spikes and Knock Off. Hariyama had a killer game, effectively making Starmie's life a lot more difficult, which was crucial in this matchup. I feel like Conflict team was lacking in breaking power. SkarmBliss effectively walls his team, with Tyranitar being handled by the common Swampert/Dugtrio partner. DDMence last doesn't help in that kind of matchup and Conflict was lacking in tools to overload BKC's defense here. I prob would have looked into a different movesets combination for TTar/Mence myself.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Week 2 thoughts:

Stats
:
  • Nothing too unusual this week. Worth pointing out is the very high usage of Salamence, showing its face in half the teams, with Magneton being used quite a lot too, on par with Swampert (which was a bit abandonned compared to the norm). We also got two Aerodactyl, which has been on a downward spiral for a quite now. Tyranitar only used 6 times is probably worth mentionning too, as it's often used more.
Games:
  • eden vs z0mog was a pretty bad game in the sense that it was way too influenced by RNG for eden to get anything out of it probably. Lead Venusaur not getting sleep is usually pretty bad in itself, and z0mog was also equipped for it with a good old Lum Metagross, a pretty old-fashionned call in those Offense, that I quite like personally. On paper it looks like eden should have gotten a lot of mileage out of Jolteon & Moltres, especially with Spikes but he was behind all games long and it never materialized. To be honest, z0mog had a strong win condition in DD Mence once Pert took HP Grass from Zapdos too (with Skarm removed by Magneton).
  • Conflict vs Odin wasn't that great of a game in the sense that RNG played a big part in the way it played, but shout out to AgiliGross being often forgotten in building and being a complete killer if your bulky Waters are weakened. Unlike a Salamence, it just can't be OHKOd, played around with Intimidate or sand chip and it took that game home despite Conflict coming ready for Odin's affection towards Spikes. Worth noting though, is that by trying to make yourself ultra safe vs Spikes, you have to give up a few turns getting them off, and Odin capitalized off of them as well as he could have with his unexpected LumAgili Gross.

Game Analysis: BKC vs Conflict

BKC vs Conflict

BKC has a slightly altered variant of a classic new-meta Hariyama stall that was used extensively in Callous Cup I and early Smogon Classics. The changes he made are offensive Zapdos over specially defensive Zapdos, Drill Peck + Protect Skarm over Drill Peck + Tox Skarm, physical TTar over special TTar, and Refresh Pert over Refresh Claydol. These new Zapdos and TTar sets help an otherwise passive team to exert pressure, especially against bulky setup sweepers (CMWish Jirachi, Rest Suicune, and Rest Curselax) and defensive cores with status-immune pokemon (Refresh Pert, Refresh Milotic, Refresh Claydol, Rest Zapdos, and Natural Cure mons). Drill Peck + Protect on Skarm is great here because it allows Skarm to beat spinners long-term (Starmie must get Knocked), check Heracross/other fighters, and shrug off chip damage; the last point is especially important for winning long-term against Recover Starmie and staying healthy vs Metagross/waters you want to spike against. Replacing Claydol with Pert gives this team a much-needed bulky water for fighting against Mag + Mence cores and another solid out vs Aero or Dug + DDTar cores (rock-based cores that can ignore or remove Hariyama). Losing Rapid Spin is huge for a team that is generally defensive, but WishBliss + 2 spike immunes + more offensive pressure helps shore up that issue. BKC's choice to use Bold Bliss helps with his weakness to MixMence (especially since the team lacks SpD Zap now), but could potentially be a liability against teams with Dugtrio since Ice Beam no longers OHKOs without spikes; BKC would have to outplay a team with a spinner + Dugtrio in order to keep his Bliss alive.

Conflict rolled up with a double DD team with 2 T-Wave users and a Counter Bliss to hold it together vs special threats like Gengar and Starmie. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of his team here. It lacks great ways to break defensive cores other than PP stalling; usually para-cheesing can break defensive cores when you pair it with threats that apply huge amounts of pressure, like MixMence (Zapdos, Milotic, Suicune, Gengar, Aero are all shaky checks when para'd) or CB Metagross (Skarm, Forre, Zapdos, Moltres are poor checks once para'd; much easier to catch a bulky water with a boom or lucky Mash atk raise). Ideally, his strategy isn't far off from pasy_g's week 1 strat: overload physical walls and sweep with a DD mon. However, without spikes, Conflict has no way to force Pert to take permanent damage, and without heavy hitters in every slot, he lacks pressure to stop Pert from recovering it off eventually. His use of Counter Bliss is definitely good here though; it helps him break mons like EQ Pert, defensive Meta, and opposing TTar/Lax to open holes for his DD mons or special attackers. However, once the gimmick is revealed, opponents will play around it and it loses a lot of its value.

I think this is the best ADV game in SPL so far. Conflict's TTar reveal Atk invested Rock Slide turn 1 against BKC's Hariyama and BKC immediately gets the Knock Off on Starmie; it's definitely Conflict's only option to take the Knock because it has reliable recovery. Everything else, like Zap or Mence, will die to sand eventually without leftovers (in the case of SpD Zap, it has a much harder time sitting in front of special attackers and walls like Bliss or Celebi without leftovers). BKC reveals Blissey right after this, and Conflict T-wave, showing that they are both running bulkier sets and teams. This excludes the standard 6 TSS on Conflict's side and an undisputed-esque offense from BKC. The next sequences from BKC really showcase how to keep Starmie pressured; he really needs spikes up in order for his team to work as planned. You see sequences where he aggressively doubles and uses Skarm Protects to keep it healthy, how he uses free turns to lay spikes and eat at Starmie's Recover PP, and how he keeps Skarm unpara'd. We also see that BKC's Zap is offensive, meaning it can break Conflict's own Zap, meaning Flict must continually go to Blissey, slowly eating Softboiled PP through spikes chip. On turn 49, we see Conflict aggressively stay in and Counter vs TTar, which was a much-needed play on his part. BKC's TTar was looking extremely threatening with spikes down and was one of his few ways to pressure Flict's SpD Zap. This could backfire for Conflict though, because now BKC's Zap is poised to get a kill if Flict cannot remove spikes before BKC's Zap can generate a free turn. BKC does his best to keep up pressure, but gets an unfortunate Whirlwind roll to Starmie vs his Hariyama and loses his spikes advantage. He plays aggressively with the Skarm again to get a layer up, trading spikes for para. Flict gets his Meta knock'd, which combined with its low Mash PP, makes it useless long-term. Flict decides to trade it for BKC's Zapdos. I think this may have been a misplay on Flict's part because he really needed the Meta to trade with Skarm so Starmie could consistently keep spikes off vs a 30% Skarm. The next set of plays shows BKC aggressively playing with his para'd Skarm (doubling for free lefties, wishpassing, attacking a recovering Star for lefties) in order to get another layer of spikes up. Flict's last is revealed to be a DDMence here, and the game doesn't bode too well for him at this point. BKC's Bliss + Skarm have the PP to outlast Starmie with good play (meaning BKC will eventually get up spikes and Hariyama will eventually get another Knock) and Flict really doesn't have the tools to break BKC's core of Pert + Yama. Zap eventually gets knock'd and that ends the game pretty much; the next 150 turns are just BKC playing a safe endgame.

I think Flict had one real path to victory, which was removing BKC's Skarm from the game with Metagross's Explosion, and he wasn't able to execute it because of the redundancy in BKC's defensive team. If Flict had a MixMence or a more offensive Metagross, I think this game would've been much harder for BKC. Conflict would've had a way to pressure BKC's defensive core and would've had many chances to crit-fish and PP stall Softboiled against BKC's Bliss.

Last edited:
Week 4 replays:
Week 5 replays:
--

Week 6 matchups:
  • [TIG] McMeghan vs Gilbert arenas [TYR]
  • [BIG] eden vs pasy_g [RAI]
  • [SCO] CyberOdin vs BKC [WOL]
  • [RUI] Hyogafodex vs z0mog [CRY]
  • [SHA] Blightbringerr vs Tamahome [CLA]

Game Analysis:

VS.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3ou-474354

Lead select starts off with a pretty common lead duo between BKC’s Mence and Teclis’ Tar. Teclis needs to get out of the way of a possible brick break, as all lead Mence opt to run it. The salamence user here would usually have some leeway to double into something “midgroundy”, as the tar is always getting out of the way, but lead ttar doesn’t really spell out at all what’s coming in to take the hit. Zapdos, Skarm, Pert, Jolteon, Suicune all being decent switches to see if its mixed or cb.
BKC goes for a tunneled hard Mag, hoping to catch an inbound Skarmory while Teclis will reveal a Zapdos. My guess is that this was likely a play Teclis had made often in replays, or he just had a big bone for skarm in his usage stats. Otherwise I think a double into BKC’s own tar or his skarm would gain more traction. The hard into Mag should reveal to Teclis that this Mence will either be CB or dragon dance, although most likely CB as that set operates much better as a lead.
Both Magneton and Zapdos get out of the way of eachother, both probably not willing to take a twave on something pivotal in the MU, and ttar comes in for both players. BKC will use this turn to get Skarmory in without risking his Tar, as Teclis shoots off a hidden power, which could be bug aiming for a celebi switch or grass aiming for a pert, the calc shows both as options. BKC will lay down a spike as fire blast reveals Teclis’ tar to be special.
Teclis waits on a protect and then is able to get his cloyster in on BKC’s blissey, resulting in a traded free spike as blissey would realistically need tbolt to pressure Cloy without risking boom-death. 8 turns in now and both players have a spike up each and have revealed very little about their own teams, so the game is at a pretty even state.
Big turn coming up here: Teclis will get Jolteon in to absorb the hit from BKC’s mag, and the two will trade twaves, both deciding that crippling the other would be worth in the long run. In my opinion, this trade slightly favors teclis. Magneton can now no longer outrun the steel in the back (almost always meta), and will be pressured all the more by Zap, Cloy and Jolteon still. The advantage BKC gets out of para’d Jolteon is that it means it will not be faster than Salamence, and if the mence is CB it will be all the tougher to deal with without the Jolteon. Teclis’ last two mons are pretty apparent at this point, one being Meta and the other being a water, so, BKC must have felt confident in his ability to close out with Mence+the rest to take the twave trade.
Roar comes out on the Mag and Mence will be dragged out, CB being revealed through sand chip. BKC will take the turn to get Mence out, perhaps just not wanting to play games with CB “predictions” when Ttar catches Teclis’ choice of zap or jolt pretty safely.
T12: I’m not sure if I agree with this here on Teclis’ side, but he decides to let the Jolteon go rather than getting his Pert in on some EQ damage to start hammering away at BKC’s team. It should have been apparent that BKC’s ttar was a physical 4-attack / bulky DD set, so there was not too much risk of a big HP grass on the pert.
BKC is happy to take the free kill on Jolt, because when Teclis’ gets his pert in for the revenge, BKC comfortably brings his own in to take the hits better than I would have thought. This does mean though, that BKC will have to sacrifice a lot of HP on his Swampert in exchange for crippling Teclis’, which could be troublesome if Teclis’ last mon metagross was agility rather than the more predictable bulky meta.
Teclis’ now finds himself perfectly roared to get Cloy in, and with the Para making Magneton slower, he can now threaten a lot of damage to BKC’s team with surf/ice beam on everything (+boom for blissey). BKC will lose some HP on skarm, but he is able to roar the super threatening Cloy away. However, with ttar being brought in, BKC feels safest just letting pert go down. He could’ve taken the gamble of Teclis’ ttar not being brick break and opting to wall it with Blissey, but losing blissey would spell a certain loss to Zap from this point forward. This was good foresight by BKC to understand his position from ahead and not risk it to stay “more ahead”.
T23, the game is 5-5, both sides are pretty evenly crippled. BKCs skarmory is low health and his magneton para’d / very low, and Teclis’ swampert is toxic’d + he has taken some chip onto his Cloy and Ttar. Salamence will come in on the Ttar to threaten a certain kill should he lock into the right attack, be it rock slide for Zap or Brick for ttar. Teclis’ takes the road of least resistance and decides to sack cloy, which would’ve died to either attack. BKC now is ahead again.
Zapdos will tbolt the Blissey switch doing 15%, and Teclis then reveals BP. The damage will mean that Teclis’ zapdos is not invested into SAtk, and on a team like this it’s a no brainer that we’re seeing a mixed zap. Teclis then shows BP, which is not all too common on mixed Zapdos at it is generally pressured for moves between drill peck, HP, and twave. This may have surprised BKC a bit, but having the information that he is BP should mean it has no chance of being twave 4th.
Metagross is revealed, and BKC will let the mag go. 25% from mash means that Teclis’ metagross is CB, and every set is now clear at this point in the game. CB mence comes in for another revenge kill game, and Teclis’ is put at another position where he is forced to play “does he eq or does he slide” mindgames. Tyranitar will come in, hoping to take a slide and then likely pursuit the mence for some damage, but ttar will simply die to eq -- BKC is at a 4-3 lead.
Zapdos comes in as Salamence is walled. Blissey will come in to take the hit as HP Fighting is revealed. This will actually force the blissey to softboiled on a turn it surely wanted to get an attack in, meaning CB metagross comes in safely. The skarmory is let go, and mence comes in for one final CB hit.
However, Teclis makes a mistake and stays in with Metagross rather than going swampert. EQ comes out, rather than an aggressive rock slide, and the meta goes down. Without metagross, the only means Teclis’ has left to kill blissey is with a timely HP fighting crit, which doesn’t come. BKC wins the game from there with the Salamence+Ttar alive to finish off the pert that was toxic’d oh so long ago.
Had Teclis’ sacked his Swampert rather than his Metagross, he would have been able to put himself in a position to baton pass Metagross back in on blissey (ttar cannot come in on 2 hits due to the hp fighting zapdos). BKC is forced to sack the tyranitar to a meteor mash, and then it comes down to a “50/50” between a final CB eq vs CB rock slide from BKC’s mence.

I enjoyed watching this game a lot for a couple reasons.
#1 was because it had an abundance of longterm-type trades, where BKC really showed his ability to plan for the endgame with a couple key turns early on. Those turns namely being when he decided the Twaves trade on Jolteon/Magneton would be more worth for himself, and also opting to trade his Swampert’s entire health bar to get a toxic on Teclis’ Swampert and limit it from breaking the game open.
#2 was that this game highlighted the significance of figuring out set information. Both players made moves to dance around the others team until the information they felt was needed was revealed, such as BKC’s item on mence and the set for Teclis’ metagross and Zapdos.
#3 was just seeing how close this game came to the wire between the rookie and the veteran. BKC proved that he had the fortitude to stick this game through to the end without messing up into a loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)