SPL XII - BW Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Volcarona saw a couple of uses this week, including a very impressive showing in Caetano-GTG. I still believe that it is a high risk, high reward option. However, the reward is appealing against specific opponents and on specific teams, leading to players taking the risk and it oftentimes paying off.

Weatherless builds saw 3 uses this week and there was also a Sun team. It is good to see some archetype variance in a metagame that has been Sand (and, to a lesser extent, Rain) heavy for a long time. I am not normally huge on generalizing like this, but we have seen a lot of creativity in team construction as a whole.

Excadrill and Latios both saw 6 uses this week, returning to about where you expect them after some weeks with slight dips. Both are top 5 Pokemon and should absolutely continue maintaining this level of viability moving forward. Meanwhile we saw a steady balance of Landorus-T and Gliscor, reflecting that both are still holding strong as Ground/Flying options right now. Gliscor's usage reflecting it's shift from mid-tier to top-tier this SPL seems to be unrelenting.

On the topic of Gliscor, Swords Dance + Ice Fang seems to be trending, perhaps as a response to the prominence of opposing Gliscor and slight dip in Rotom-W usage, which is likely connected to Celebi peaking.

Finally, got a feeling we will not be seeing any more Calm Mind + Reflect Cresselia moving forward, but hey I have been wrong before.

Not going to go over any games right now as I am pretty tired, but may circle back on that in a future week.

Nalorium

is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending BW Circuit Champion
World Defender
WEEK 6

[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs Finchinator [CRY]
[SHA] SoulWind vs elodin [TYR]
[WOL] GaryTheGengar vs Dice [TIG]
[RUI] frania vs Insult [BIG]
[CLA] Steve Angello vs Caetano93 [SCO]

Jimmy Turtwig vs Finchinator

We open these predictions with the match to highlight, we have the 2 BWers with the best record so far. In this corner we have Finch, who in the last week he did not get his best MU and some mons gave him some problems. Although in general we have seen quite solid teams from finch. In the other corner we have Jimmy who has been on fire since week 2, this boy has not stop winning, using curious teams and using unusual pokemon. I see it a pretty close match so Im not risking by predicting who will win but I do see it a bit in favor of finch, but as I said, anyone could win.

-

SoulWind vs elodin

Soulwind came out of his losing streak with a very surprising gliscor set that managed to beat FMG, SW has been using quite surprising sets that almost always manage to have a very good role in the game, on the other hand we have Elodin who is having some problems in his last matches, things haven't turned out the way he expected, but maybe this is his chance to change it. Both are players with a lot of experience in the tier, although this time im going with soulwind.

-

GaryTheGengar vs Dice

Let's go with another very interesting game, they are both doing quite well although I feel that Gary will have a lot of problems scouting and preparing vs. Dice, someone who doesn't have much experience in the tier facing someone with enough experience and who can play whatever he wants, it sounds quite inconvenient for Gary. Although with the help of BKC he could make a good team to stop Dice's teams. On the other hand Dice is using teams with many surprises, I hope to continue seeing this kind of teams, I like them a lot. To conclude, I think Dice will win this game without any major problem, although Gary could surprise us.

-

frania vs Insult

Both players who are not having very good results, Insult returns to BW after his expedition in SM, in which I think he did quite well, I do not know why he did not stay there, but in the same way Insult can surprise us again as he did in week 1. On the other hand we have Frania who its luck is definitely against him, but I think he could take advantage of the kind of standard teams that insult usually play and vice versa with the teams that Frania usually uses. Anyway, I also see this game p close for both, I think it will be decided in the MU and if luck stops fleeing from Frania.

WEEK 5
SETS AND TEAMS TO
HIGHLIGHT

Cloyster T-Spikes

Cloyster
Ability: Skill Link
- Toxic Spikes
- Rock Blast

Possible moves
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Cloyster is only viable on certain weatherless or ho teams being a pokemon that breaks the opponent teams, but it is curious to see him in a sand team on big stages but the most surprising thing was the toxic spikes. This cloyster seems to be a set that was formerly used in ubers (offensive support with sash). Although, he could not take advantage of its full potential in this game specifically.

GLISCOR SUBSTITUTE

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Substitute
- Earthquake

This set of gliscor, does seem like a super curious set to me, Protect was left aside in this set, which is practically essential for most SD sets, this set can break great walls the clear example was precisely to beat the Milotic. This set was used as the bp sub that was used as a check to break stall (but since the ban spore this type of sets was no longer used and therefore the set was obsolete). I don't think it's something that innovates the meta, but it can be used as a more offensive option for glis

HIGHLIGHT TEAM

This very eye-catching HO variant takes the HL team of the week award. What made it special was the strange selection of offensive Pokemon Caetano chose. To begin we have a very common duo in this kind of HO's that is lead skarmory to be able to put all the hazzards as soon as possible and a Jellicent to avoid the spin and help with a certain kind of rain teams. Now we go to the important thing, what we managed to see was a Volcarona, very useful seeing the kind of sand teams that are currently being used, many of them without heatran are easy prey for this moth that does not have to worry about carrying HP Ground. We also saw a possible scarf ttar to kill latios and help the team in general. Now it could be a possible CM Reuniclus to clean up with the rival team taking advantage of the hazzards but I would opt for a possible TR Reuniclus that we already saw previously. And the latios could be a possible Specs or even some strange DD Latios or CM Latios. I save the comments to give way to the creator of this team, the doctor Caetano.

- - -

Overall Usage Stats are up here!

WEEK 5 USAGE STATS

:bw/excadrill:

BW OU

Leads / Combos / Moves + Teammates
Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Latios             |    6 |  60.00% |  66.67% |
| 1    | Excadrill          |    6 |  60.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Ferrothorn         |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Tyranitar          |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 5    | Gliscor            |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 6    | Landorus-Therian   |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 6    | Magnezone          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Rotom-Wash         |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Volcarona          |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Keldeo             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Xatu               |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Reuniclus          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Jellicent          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Celebi             |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 8    | Milotic            |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Politoed           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Toxicroak          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Breloom            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Skarmory           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Cloyster           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Ninetales          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Victini            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Chansey            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Cresselia          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Mamoswine          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Alakazam           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Heatran            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
The Cloyster and Gliscor analysis was written by my friend Gus2000 who helped me.

Nalorium Out.:pirate:

Yes, double post, any problem?

Last edited:
Cloyster T-Spikes

Cloyster
Ability: Skill Link
- Toxic Spikes
- Rock Blast

Possible moves
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Shell Smash

Cloyster is only viable on certain weatherless or ho teams being a pokemon that breaks the opponent teams, but it is curious to see him in a sand team on big stages but the most surprising thing was the toxic spikes. This cloyster seems to be a set that was formerly used in ubers (offensive support with sash). Although, he could not take advantage of its full potential in this game specifically.

This Cloyster was Choice Banded. You can confirm this with the obsene damage Rock Blast did to a full def Reuniclus. Also Its other moves probably are Ice Shard and Icicle Spears.

HIGHLIGHT TEAM

This very eye-catching HO variant takes the HL team of the week award. What made it special was the strange selection of offensive Pokemon Caetano chose. To begin we have a very common duo in this kind of HO's that is lead skarmory to be able to put all the hazzards as soon as possible and a Jellicent to avoid the spin and help with a certain kind of rain teams. Now we go to the important thing, what we managed to see was a Volcarona, very useful seeing the kind of sand teams that are currently being used, many of them without heatran are easy prey for this moth that does not have to worry about carrying HP Ground. We also saw a possible scarf ttar to kill latios and help the team in general. Now it could be a possible CM Reuniclus to clean up with the rival team taking advantage of the hazzards but I would opt for a possible TR Reuniclus that we already saw previously. And the latios could be a possible Specs or even some strange DD Latios or CM Latios. I save the comments to give way to the creator of this team, the doctor Caetano.
This structure isn't a new tech or anything. Jimmy used a similar team in this SPL too. The idea here is to fool the opponent into thinking this is a classic Jelli + Skar build. Since I'm going with no Rapid Spin, this make a gready Stealth Rock t1 an theorycal amazing play, with is a pray for Suicide Skarmory. Only fast Landorus-T or Garchomp are SR users that outspeed Jolly Skarmory atm. After setting hazards, the team is pretty straightforward; open holes with Volcarona and CM Latios, revange things with Scarf Ttar, clean the rest with TR Reuni. Jellicent is mostly to have anti-rain strategy (honors to Keldeo) and to stop Rapid Spin. The WoW burn also helps Latios and Reuniclus to set up.

187521.jpg
[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs Finchinator [CRY]
114198.jpg

Without a doubt the match of the day.
The two players who hold the two best BW records in this SPL, two players who have come out of the standart and have tried new outfits with different cores in the course of the games. I think the predictions here are going to be very mixed, as there is no clear winner.
Finchinator was coming like a rocket until he stumbled on the day before (F for believers like me) and Jimmy, starting with defeat in SPL, ended up taking the games against good opponents, exceeding my expectations that I had at the beginning.
It is difficult to bolding, and I have my doubts because I do not know very well what is going to happen. I doubt that they will take out any offense or weatherless and they will go for something more standart
An unmissable battle my friends that I think we are all with a very high expectation of seeing a very entertaining game.

64874.jpg
[SHA] SoulWind vs elodin [TYR]
145572.png

Oh man another very good battle, SW vs Elodin....
This game will seem a little underrated, but I really have waited for it since the SPL started. Two styles that seem similar because they are based on solid outfits that work and are comfortable to play.
Elodin is true that he comes with 2 losses, but I don't think his way of playing has declined. Yes, I was surprised to see him use a sun team against Jimmy (which unfortunately was an F).
SW returned to victory, and surely his record will take off to the top, we talk about the solidity of their teams, but I have also noticed that in this SPL they have brought unusual sets that are curious (last week glis sub sd and previously tran mag solar beam with evs in defense to hold gastro).
I would almost put it in a draw but I feel like it gives me the certainty (if it's silly) that SW will win it.
Perhaps it is because of the quality of a player that he is and the habit of seeing him dominate this generation. What I do tell you is that you don't lose your eye on the game.

114541.jpg
[WOL] GaryTheGengar vs Dice [TIG]
126615.png

I said it the week before, Finch was on fire in this SPL and was on his way to making a 9-0
But the only rival in his path that could stop that streak was Dice, and it was.
Right now the spirits are through the roof, and with 2 consecutive victories we see his best face again reminding us of old times.
Although Gary has not done so badly so far, the previous game against Caetano I did not like compared to the previous ones and if it continues like this obviously I don't think I have a choice.
However, the guy defends himself well and when it seems that he is about to lose he takes you back a game. I'm going to build on what I saw the week before, so here's my bet.

317670.png
[RUI] frania vs Insult [BIG]
scratched-textured-insult-stamp-seal-insult-stamp-seal-watermark-distress-style-designed-recta...jpg

A shame the bad luck that Frania has had in this SPL because she has not been playing badly (in fact quite the opposite) to have the record she has
Could it be that I finally get the victory? Yes, this game may be another claim but it has a tough opponent like Insult in front of him. After spending 2 weeks in SM, he returns to a generation that despite being negative, the sensations are very good.
I think the duel will be even at the beginning of the game, but due to the events that have happened in this SPL I will bet on Insult.

alemania.jpg
[CLA] Steve Angello vs Caetano93 [SCO]
394051.gif

Well this game has already been played (damn you Nalorium , you post late) :puff:
The case, before this game had been played, I would continue to bet on Caetano and I think that in the end he will achieve a positive record (his losses were just before 3 of the best BW players in this current SPL).
Steve Angello debuted in this SPL and to be honest I have seen very few games of him in this generation to be able to comment correctly.

My conclusions are that this week will be full of good games with 2 extremely entertaining battles that fill me with hype.
A shame to post this after Caetano's victory being Thursday night):
I thank the doctor for correcting me (I really never thought I saw cloyster banded on big stages ...)

PD: Good luck to all the players in their respective games and may the best win :blobuwu:.

[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs Finchinator [CRY] - I keep what i said last week, there is no one left in the players pool that can defeat Finchinator outside of insane MU advantage or hax feast. That's, however, deosn't mean this will be a one sided game or a boring one. jimmy was honestly the player who surprised me the most in this SPL and he can gives a lot of trouble to our favourite BW addicted user. I just hope to not see more Milotics in this SPL...

[SHA] SoulWind vs elodin [TYR] - After a little misstep in the early-weeks, SW got back to the winning grinding team. He is clearly the favourite here and still is the best BWer of the pool. Elodin have chances here if he can get MU win (or just win the rng lottery, who knows?). Just make sure to bring a viable sun next time you try it....

[WOL] GaryTheGengar vs Dice [TIG] - Gary is comming from a bad game streak while Dice is a guy that knows how to capitalize from standart builds with his crazy meta-changing techs. I don't see Dice having dificults here if he bring a anti-meta and stable team, and ofc not getting double crited in the last turns.

[RUI] frania vs Insult [BIG] - This is for me the highline match of the week. Yeah, finch x jimmy is cool too but those 2 have a lot to show up in this SPL and both of them are very good players, they just got a trully unlucky tour this year. Because of this I expect a very flame matche with lots of outplays. That being said, since Frania is the one with less pressure (RIP Ruiners) he/she (?) have a lot more liberty in builds and game plan.

[CLA] Steve Angello vs Caetano93 [SCO] - Volcarona is broken.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Elodin-SW and me-Jimmy were pretty great games that came down to the wire and featured some intriguing sets, especially the former. While I wish my game concluded on a different note, it is always a pleasure watching closely contested BW games. In a tier where the urgency is cranked up to the max due to Spikes, Sand, a lack of Regenerator spam, and a lack of non-Pursuit weak Magic Guard, it is always fun seeing closely contested games go down to the wire like we have here. I am hoping to see more of this in the coming weeks -- it is always a pleasure and highlights a large part of why BW is one of my favorite generations.

I feel this week it is hard to look in on too many trends. We saw a game where two Rain teams were used, a handful of balance and bulky offensive Sands as per normal, and even a Smurf HO sighting. There was a lot of variety and that is likely a testament to how wide open this metagame is. I hope to see more of this moving forward and thanks to everyone for exciting performances.

Nalorium

is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending BW Circuit Champion
World Defender
WEEK 7

[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs GaryTheGengar [WOL]
[RUI] frania vs SoulWind [SHA]
[CLA] jacob vs Finchinator [CRY]
[SCO] Caetano93 vs elodin [TYR]
[BIG] FMG vs Dice [TIG]

Jimmy Turtwig vs GaryTheGengar

Jimmy is on fire, his streak has already reached 5 consecutive wins. Using solid teams, although luck helped him in the last week vs finch, but hey, anyways it was a p cool game to watch and they both did great, with Jimmy's streak I see it difficult for Gary to win, although in the last week he surprised me with his win vs dice. Tbh I feel that the teams that Gary is using are somewhat simple but for the moment they are working for him, I hope to see some interesting pokemon like the ones that jimmy has been using recently.

-

frania vs SoulWind

Continuing with the matches, we have a quite interesting match in my opinion. Frania with the bad luck of him who still does not move away from him, against SW who has been keeping up and down using some curious sets in my opinion. Both have been using solid things although SW a little more than Frania but that does not take away the fact that Frania is able to bring out a good team to put in trouble SW. Anyway it will be an interesting game but as I said, Im going to root for Soulwind due to the teams he has been using

Edit: So is Aurella vs SW, yep I’m dumb, ok so, aurella is a p solid player overall but tbh idk to what extend her knowledge in BW, but with the help of Frania and her teammates, maybe we can see a p interesting match. Although I still think the gap between the experience in the SW tier and Aurella is large, I am sure that Aurella will still give us a good game to talk about.

-

jacob vs Finchinator

Isn't Jacob like the 5 BWer of the classiest? Oh forget it, they tell me he's the 4th, but still '-'. On the other hand we have Finch who had an unfortunate outcome in his last game against Jimmy, but I don't think that will lower his spirits. In general, I think Finch will be able to win this game without much complication, but let's not underestimate Jacob, who is still a pretty good player and I've always seen him use solid things, I think this is one of the most interesting matches of the week

-

Caetano93 vs elodin

This confrontation brings us the best of the best of Brazilian players, in one corner we have Caetano, who has been on a good streak since he saw how broken is volcarona and in the other Elodin who comes from probably one of the best games of all the spl vs SW. They both use quite creative things and they have surely faced each other more than once so they don't lack experience against the other, tbh I see this game like a 50/50, anyone could win, I just hope to see quite curious sets

-

FMG vs Dice

To end my thoughts for this week of the spl we have Insult, ah, again FMG. To end my thoughts on this week of spl we have FMG, who returns once again to BW to face one of the best BWers, Dice. I honestly think that this could be one of the best matches in the entire SPL, both are very experienced players and both tend to surprise with the things they use. Personally, I think Dice is going to win this game, although FMG can defeat Dice with a solid or curious team.

WEEK 6
SETS AND TEAMS TO
HIGHLIGHT

Air Balloon Terrakion

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
Ability: Justified
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Possible moves
- Stone Edge

I think SoulWind the night before had nightmares with a ground type or something because having 5 ground immunities lol. The set imo is really interesting when it comes to taking advantage of Landorus, Heatran or even Gliscor. The idea of combining this Terrakion with a Heatran HP Ice is very smart since with heatran you get rid of many threats that gives some problems to terrakion and even more if that heatran was Magma Storm or Sunny Day, so that it could trap Tentacruel for example.

Choice Band Breloom

Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
- Mach Punch

Possible moves
- Stone Edge
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower

Honestly among my main plans was not to include this breloom, but week 6 did not have many more surprises in terms of ingenious sets, so I put this breloom since we saw it also last week. I like the idea of Breloom on rain, I had seen him a lot but never with Thundurus, who I think they both combine quite well. I think that this set can have some problems when using it since Celebi is being used a lot and it really checks this set of breloom very well.

HIGHLIGHT TEAM

The HL team of the week goes to Elodin, who knew how to put together in a very creative way a surprising set of garchomp with a heatran that helps a lot to break the opponent's team and even more against the kind of sand teams that are being used lately. I found very interesting why Elodin preferred U-Turn over baton pass in celebi. Anyways on the other hand we have a standard Tyranitar to kill Reuniclus, Latios and Alakazam among others, a latios possibly specs or scarf to pressure the rival team and make the team a little more offensive. And finally a lando leftovers, which probably wasn't rocks (or maybe it was), to give the team momentum and the function as the team's glue. I quite liked the team, which is more oriented towards offense style but at the same time is very solid in general.

- - -

WEEK 6 USAGE STATS

:bw/chingling:

There are no usage stats for this week
Nalorium Out.:pirate:

Last edited:

frania vs SoulWind

Continuing with the matches, we have a quite interesting match in my opinion. Frania with the bad luck of him who still does not move away from him, against SW who has been keeping up and down using some curious sets in my opinion. Both have been using solid things although SW a little more than Frania but that does not take away the fact that Frania is able to bring out a good team to put in trouble SW. Anyway it will be an interesting game but as I said, Im going to root for Soulwind due to the teams he has been using

Edit: So is Aurella vs SW, yep I’m dumb, ok so, aurella is a p solid player overall but tbh idk to what extend her knowledge in BW, but with the help of Frania and her teammates, maybe we can see a p interesting match. Although I still think the gap between the experience in the SW tier and Aurella is large, I am sure that Aurella will still give us a good game to talk about.​
1614228661567.png

Good to know that the thread hoster is doing his homework. :pikuh:

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

https://pokepast.es/e6335f076eb17b17

so nalorium asked me to post a small summary of the team i brought vs soulwind last week. honestly pretty happy with the opportunity because last week's match was one of the most entertaining ones i've played in a long time in bw, a tier i think can be pretty boring for spectators and players a lot of the time when you're just trading hazards ferro v ferro or trading knocks glisc v glisc or whatever.

so this whole team was centered around the heatran actually. the idea of using magma storm heatran vs soulwind seemed really good to me on paper because i expected some bulkier sand team from him, maybe spikes stacking with reun/zam and a bulky water like jelli/slowking/gastro. we actually took this idea from the tran soulwind himself brought week 1 this spl, because i definitely feel like it's one of the hardest mons for those slower sand teams to deal with rn. at first we didn't know if we should run magma/ep/ice/wisp, some wisp/tect set or the sunny day set, but we ended up going with the sunny day variant after choosing the other 5 mons and realizing trapping of water-types was extremely helpful for sd chomp to sweep and also to give the team a more optimal matchup into rain.

moving on, tyranitar is an obvious addition, as sand is the weather you want when running heatran 90% of the time. heatran with magma + sand + wisp (the original set) chip is such a broken mon if you play it correctly. the tough part about building teams with heatran is how much it stacks weaknesses with other common sand favourites though. water/fighting/ground with ttar and drill, water with lando/glisc/tar/drill etc. this basically means pokemon like keldeo become actually ridiculously hard to deal with, especially after the sleep moves ban because now you can't fit amoonguss as a glue for keldeo in these more offensive-oriented sand builds.

and the best pokemon to deal with those synergy problems on offense is almost always latios. checks pretty much everything tran and tar are weak to, while also maintaining offensive pressure. latios also appreciates heatran magma storming and burning opposing tars (like i said we were running wisp originally), so it seemed like a good fit.

for the final 3, i've always felt like garchomp was (and still is) the most underrated pokemon considered "top tier" in bw. garchomp is essentially impossible to counter, and sometimes the right set will straight up 6-0 games on its own. the idea behind this set here was that (i) we wanted to run offensive garchomp against soulwind as we were expecting a slow, defensive build and sd chomp is great at breaking those; (ii) good synergy with heatran as heatran traps and chips bulky waters that chomp usually wants gone; (iii) we still needed to add a win condition on the team.

now here the issue became running into cores like gastro + skarm, for example. without magnezone to support chomp, skarmory would just come in on it and once soulwind realized i didn't have fire fang he'd just sit in front of chomp and set up spikes all day. if i went heatran, he'd just go gastrodon. this cycle would go on until i lost to spikes. this was the main reason why i decided to make heatran sunny day solarbeam, but it was also the reason why we wanted to add this particular landorus-t set. leading lando-t is very expected in the meta right now, so people often lead with things like rotom-w or gliscor to take advantage of it, either with an early wisp, toxic, or rocks. the idea here is to outspeed these common leads, sub on them, and start breaking through defensive sand teams with smack down + eq + hp ice coverage.

we felt like we could afford running an offensive lando set here because (i) tyranitar would have attack investment for reun anyway so excadrill literally could not hard switch-in on anything at this point without being ohkoed; (ii) hp ice balloon heatran is actually pretty good at dealing with physical attackers, as you have coverage to beat dnite/glisc/chomp as long as your balloon is intact; (iii) the set seemed extremely good with the chomp set to break early game and allow a late game sweep from the star of the team. that said, we definitely did a terrible job at eving this, as this is most likely the worst ev spread to ever be distributed on a landorus-t and displayed on the spl stage. being outsped and taking 94% from enemy landorus-t while doing 70% in return is for sure dogshit. also i'm pretty sure it was a roll to ohko me, which is crazy. if i died turn 1 trading hp ices the game was over.

and now for the final slot, i was deciding between celebi and rotom-w and opted to go with celebi for a few reasons. but to make it clear, i'd probably make that slot a rotom-w if i ever planned on reusing this team in the future. celebi is very redundant defensively with latios. they share the same weaknesses, they wall the same mons. the difference is that latios functions as an offensive check to these mons and celebi works as a sturdy counter to most of them. celebi was only chosen here over rotom because for some reason people kept bringing keldeo against me and this was driving me insane, so i definitely wanted a hard counter against it. thundurus-t would also p extremely hard to deal with if i went rotom. i also didn't wanna fit rocks on any other mon because i really liked lando's set, garchomp was my win condition, offensive heatran needs all the coverage it can get (and the sunny day set obviously needs sunny day to be effective), and dropping fire blast on tyranitar would mean skarm/ferro would have 1 extra slot on the team to set up hazards in front of (for skarm = chomp/celebi/ttar, for ferro ttar/celebi/latios), which is something you 100% want to avoid when you're not running spinners or magic guard or your own spikes lol.

anyway, adding a celebi on the final slot definitely made the team ridiculously weak to a few things, and it ended up showing. this team literally has no switch-in to landorus-t. or mamoswine. you basically pick which mon to sack every time one of these guys come in. also you have a much harder time punishing skarm/ferro because celebi is free setup for them. also tornadus kinda wins on its own if played well.

so yea, i'd definitely opt for a rotom-w on that slot now lol i feel like the celebi pick was made very specifically in order to allow different moves on my pokemon and fish for a better matchup into soulwind in particular, but i do not think it's the ideal last on this team. also we had the cool idea of running no scarfer here because endure chomp functions as speed control late game if you don't attempt a sweep early on, which is probably not what you wanna be doing with this team anyway. running no scarfer here is actually really cool because you bait people into thinking one of your pokemon is a scarfer very often so you can punish them with specs damage, an sd/switching moves with garchomp, or a sub from lando.

overall, i'd say this is a great spl team tbh. it's not the most solid, but the surprises it brings to the table are the perfect amount to almost always nab you that first win against any opponent. i always won my first test games when using this team and then the others ended up being a lot closer after people figured out my sets. it's how the game goes. so yea, definitely recommend giving this team a try because it's a very fun build and it'll almost always beat your opponent if they're playing against you for the first time. but even more so i recommend trying out the garchomp/heatran/landorus sets on your own builds, because those are actually very effective and underrated and i'd be really happy to see other people's ideas to make these sets show their fullest potential.

thank you for the highlight opportunity and hope everyone enjoyed last week's match as much as i did.

Last edited:

187521.jpg
[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs soulgazer [CLA]
187373.png

Well, I think it will be the most uneven match at first sight so far this tournament.
I have respect for soulgazer and his track record in low tiers within the smog tour community, but I don't know him from playing old gens (BW specifically). He will face a Jimmy with a 5-2 record that sounds very imposing.
Although he was defeated in his previous game, relying on that alone to determine his performance in this match having games vs Caetano or Elodin does not think it is the right thing to do.

394051 (1).gif
[SCO] Caetano93 vs mncmt [RUI]
439688.jpg

How many tiers have they put mncmt in this SPL?
If they told me that I would play SS, RBY and BW at the beginning of the tournament I would be very surprised.
That said, I think this time is a perfect opportunity to see mncmt in a generation that adapts and adapts well to their style of play.
Caetano has been very unlucky in this SPL with the theme of the MU, and even so he maintains an almost neutral record that can go up to + between this and the following week.
We previously witnessed a Brazilian duel, and I feel that this will be the occasion where both sides take out cheese / ho.
Although from experience within this goal I will obviously bet on Caetano I have no doubt that the duel will be interesting and fun for the spectator.

306299.gif
[BIG] Vulpix03 vs GaryTheGengar [WOL]
114541.jpg

Between Vulpix and Electricity Cat they perform well in ORAS / BW and finally this week both come together in the same LU.
I've seen quite a bit of Vulpix on circuits playing BW (actually I had the privilege of playing against him) and I have at least a clear idea of how he plays.
On the other hand, if we talked before about how Jimmy surprised everyone with his intractable record about Gary, we should not stop talking about it.
The guy might not be the most surprising player to watch, but he's effective and defends very well hitting a pretty solid 4-1 for 3,500 (great buy from Wolfpack).
The bets for the first time are totally aimed at Gary (and it is absolutely justified), but I feel that Vulpix will not make it easy for him and we will see a fairly open game (or so I think).

267714.png
[TIG] Bushtush vs Soulwind [SHA]
64874.png

Another player who has had bad luck in this SPL and whose record does not correspond to the quality he has is SW (at the moment he has a positive 4-3).
I liked the innovations in equipment and sets that he has shown throughout the tournament, being a source of inspiration for the construction of teams with different structures outside of the standard.
It is a rather rare SPL so far because its losses are clear examples of what it is to have bad luck in important moments.
On the other hand, given the weakness of the Tigers in RBY they had to put says and that Bushtush will take control of BW this day.
Bush is another core SS OU player who can also play BW well and with the help of dice it is very likely that he will compete at a great level.
But he has a monster of this generation in front of him, and I'm not sure if he can take the victory unless he activates the ultra instinct.

145572.png
[TYR] elodin vs Finchinator [CRY]
114198.jpg

Ugh, the game of the week without a doubt.
Two born competitors who have had an immense career in Smogon throughout these years with great prominence.
While Finch has had a rough patch the last few games, the guy is a crack with his solid teams that win fights in the wrong moments.
Elodin with his 5-2 is in his best form as a player for quite some time, and he is one of the main devices of Tyrans competing for Poffs.
Extremely interesting duel, I don't know who to give the victory to, my expectations are high, and I doubt that they will disappoint me as I am sure it will be a very fun game.

Good luck to all the players in their respective games and may the best win :blobthumbsup:.
PD: Nalorium puto sube más temprano los hl sets y hl teams:fukyu:

Nalorium

World Defender
Hi everyone, im v sorry for the delay

WEEK 9

[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs SoulWind [SHA]
[WOL] GaryTheGengar vs Finchinator [CRY]
[RUI] frania vs elodin [TYR]
[CLA] soulgazer vs Bushtush [TIG]
[SCO] Caetano93 vs Vulpix03 [BIG]

Jimmy Turtwig vs SoulWind

To start with this last week of predictions before the play-offs we have 2 of the best BWers of the entire tour, in one corner we have Jimmy who has not had very good matches in recent weeks, in the other corner we have Soulwind Someone who sincerely I expected a little more from him, but so far he has not done too badly or too well. I see the game a bit in favor of Jimmy but SW could win

-

GaryTheGengar vs Finchinator

Another very interesting game, Finchinator has remained very constant throughout the tour so it is almost impossible to bet against him, but he has a very solid player as his rival with BKC, ABR and Shawyu as helpers. Both have used pretty solid stuff so it will surely be a pretty close game. I think Finch will win but anyways I hope to see 2 very interesting teams

-

frania vs elodin

Frania is coming to give his last debut in this SPL, I think we have all seen that luck has not smiled much for Frania in this SPL. Using quite curious teams with some sets out of the ordinary, although in the end many failed to shine. Elodin who has been in charge of filling this SPL with quite solid teams (and many garchomps) comes to win to put a 6-3 that I don't think anyone expected. Based on the performance on the tour, Im going to root for elodin since he has been more constant and way more solid

-

soulgazer vs Bushtush

I left for a week and there are 2 players who had not played BW in the entire tour since last week. One beat Soulwind and the other Jimmy, can someone please explain what happened? Wait yeah, soulgazer is the 5th BWer of the Classiest. Can we please delete SPL once and for all? Well, I just don't know what to say about this match, they are both very versatile and skilled players. I've seen more of Bushtush on the BW stage these last months so that's the only thing that dictates me to support BW Tush. Anyways, I think it will be a close game, although I don't think we'll see 2 very creative teams but bush always give surprises :eyes:

-

Caetano93 vs Vulpix03

I don't have much to say about this match, Caetano is far superior to Vulpix in BW so I don't think it's difficult to dictate the outcome of the match. From what I have seen of Vulpix in BW, he usually uses standard things or some Offense so I don't think it will be difficult for Caetano to prepare his team, although hey, there can always be surprises. Maybe Vulpix can get a good MU and beat Caetano

WEEK 8
SETS AND TEAMS TO
HIGHLIGHT

Honestly last week there weren't many interesting things, a non-innovative sand team from Gary, 2 Smurf HOs and another sand quite used in this SPL with celebi and gliscor. But I will try

MAMOSWINE CHOPLE BERRY

Mamoswine @ Chople Berry
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Possible moves
-Icicle Crash
-Substitute
-Endeavor
-Super Power

This mamoswine set is quite interesting for MU's in which you could face a possible Terrakion, Alakazam or simply to withstand any kind of fighting-type move such as Super Power or Focus Blast. I think it is an interesting variation since it is not very common to see Mamoswine with a berry. Unfortunately in the game it could not have a very important function but at least it did not went unnoticed.

MEW BATON PASS

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
- Barrier
- Amnesia
- Baton Pass
- Soft-Boiled

I find the idea that elodin had for this match quite innovative, bringing baton pass. Tbh believe that the team was able to give much more than what we saw but unfortunately it did not had the best MU possible. Giving a +2 def or +1/2 Spd to Pokemons like Gliscor or Reuniclus looks quite dangerous for the opponent. Too bad we may not see this idea of what remains of the SPL again. Although it does give opportunity to new builds since there are even more pokemons that appreciate the bp of mew.

HIGHLIGHT TEAM

I have to be honest, at the beginning I had in mind to put another team like HL Team, but in the end I opted for this one. Probably you do not agree with the decision or maybe yes, we'll see. This week's HL team is one of my favorite teams out of everything we've seen from this SPL. I find it quite interesting to put Heatran, Seismitoad and Xatu together in the same team. Although in part I see the team not very offensive, but with Heatran, TTar and Garchomp that between them manage to put enough pressure on the rival team. On the other hand I think that Xatu and Seismitoad make a very good couple since they cover each other quite well, Xatu covers Seismitoad from Ferrothorn for example while Seismitoad covers Xatu from Rotom-W. Finally, carrying double water in a sand team is something that is not usually seen but for rain MU's it should serve a lot, mainly because the other 4 mons are not very comfortable under rain. To conclude, it was very entertaining to see this team debut, even though it has lost. :(

- - -

WEEK 6 AND 7 USAGE STATS
So far there are no usages for week 8

WEEK 6

BW OU

Code:
| 1    | Tyranitar          |    6 |  60.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Latios             |    6 |  60.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Landorus-Therian   |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Breloom            |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 4    | Garchomp           |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 4    | Celebi             |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 4    | Politoed           |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 4    | Tentacruel         |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 9    | Skarmory           |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 9    | Jellicent          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Alakazam           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Excadrill          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Heatran            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Jirachi            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Thundurus-Therian  |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Gliscor            |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 9    | Ferrothorn         |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Slowking           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Volcarona          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Dragonite          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Scizor             |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Starmie            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Rotom-Wash         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Terrakion          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Kyurem             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Keldeo             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Magnezone          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Gastrodon          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

WEEK 7

BW OU

Code:
| 1    | Tyranitar          |    7 |  70.00% |  57.14% |
| 2    | Alakazam           |    5 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Gliscor            |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 3    | Latios             |    4 |  40.00% |  75.00% |
| 3    | Ferrothorn         |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Reuniclus          |    3 |  30.00% | 100.00% |
| 6    | Skarmory           |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 6    | Landorus-Therian   |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 6    | Excadrill          |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 10   | Politoed           |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Tentacruel         |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Keldeo             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Seismitoad         |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Rotom-Wash         |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 10   | Dragonite          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Thundurus-Therian  |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Jirachi            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Gastrodon          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Volcarona          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 16   | Heatran            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Garchomp           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Terrakion          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Xatu               |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Blissey            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Cresselia          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Ninetales          |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 16   | Celebi             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |

To finish the post, I would like to apologize to everyone for not having posted anything in the last week. I had internet problems that didn't allow me to post, I'm sorry

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Contrary to my past jokes of watching BW OU is like staring at grains on the screen, I've been enjoying watching these SPL games when I'm able to catch them and seeing the thought process and builds being used by the BW camp. Just want to say to all the BW contributors keep up the great work it's been a good learning process for me and just dope to watch. Looking forward to the elodin vs Finch rematch as well :blobthumbsup: .

Nalorium

World Defender
Hey hey! Welcome everyone

PLAYOFFS

[4-2] [WOL] GaryTheGengar vs soulgazer [CLA] [1-1] (In BW)
[5-4] [TYR] elodin vs Finchinator [CRY] [5-3]

GaryTheGengar vs soulgazer

GaryTheGengar

1615907325644.png

Soulgazer

1615907364564.png

---

In our first Playoffs match we see 2 BWers that for what was expected both are doing well (Although being honest I expected a change of BWer by the classiest), using solid teams and playing their games correctly. On Gary's side we have an excessive use of Sand Team, literally the tyranitar usage of the Wolfpack is 100%. They will probably change the formula for these semi-finals or they will continue to use what has apparently worked for them. Gary and Shawyu's teams have all proven to be pretty solid so I have no doubt that the one he will use this week is solid too. We will probably see some change in their teams since their rivals started trying to get a better MU vs Alakzam or Gliscor. On the other hand we have the Classiest, who due to so much change of player it seems a bit diffuse to see what they use since each player has their preferences, but it can be analyzed that they have tried to spam gliscor with colleagues like Celebi o Excadrill to put the maximum possible pressure on the rival. I think Gary will win because of his performance, the kind of teams he's using and his amazing teammates.

---

Finchinator vs Elodin

Finchinator

1615914895927.png

Elodin

1615917470763.png

---

Personally my favorite match of these semifinals, 2 of the best BWers of this tournament face each other in a game that in my opinion will be decisive for both teams. Finchinator, the player I have seen the most solid in this tournament using very interesting teams and quite fun sets against Elodin a veteran who has shown that he still has a lot to offer to BW. Finch has been able to squeeze the most out of Gliscor and build some pretty cool stuff with Mamoswine and Milotic throughout the tour. We can also see the high usage of Alakazam that he has used quite well in his games. For his game this week, finch may surprise Elodin quite a bit as there are certain Mons that he hasn't used yet or even use the kind of archetype that he has used lately but with some variation. On the other hand we have elodin who has used quite interesting things, with the naked eye we can see a Sun Stall, BP with Mew, 2 Sand Keldeos and quite a few garchomps. I don't have any predictions since Elodin has used quite varied things but maybe some Sand or some quite offensive team (?, there are many cards on the table.

I am going to save the hl sets for the end of the season that I am going to make a post putting the best sets, teams and combos of the tour, I also have to say that this week there were not many surprises besides BWTUSH

--- ⇩

WEEK 8 USAGES STATS
BW OU

Code:
| 1    | Garchomp           |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Starmie            |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Gliscor            |    4 |  40.00% |  50.00% |
| 1    | Tyranitar          |    4 |  40.00% |  25.00% |
| 5    | Dragonite          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Magnezone          |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Politoed           |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Ferrothorn         |    3 |  30.00% |  66.67% |
| 5    | Scizor             |    3 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 10   | Tentacruel         |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 10   | Keldeo             |    2 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 10   | Volcarona          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Breloom            |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Gastrodon          |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Celebi             |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Thundurus-Therian  |    2 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 10   | Reuniclus          |    2 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Excadrill          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Jirachi            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Cloyster           |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Chansey            |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Mamoswine          |    1 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 18   | Latios             |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Skarmory           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Alakazam           |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Xatu               |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Heatran            |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18   | Rotom-Wash         |    1 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 18 | Mew | 1 | 10.00% | 0.00% |

WEEK 9 USAGES STATS

BW OU

Code:
| 1    | Tyranitar          |    6 |  75.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Gliscor            |    5 |  62.50% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Ferrothorn         |    4 |  50.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Alakazam           |    4 |  50.00% |  25.00% |
| 5    | Rotom-Wash         |    3 |  37.50% | 100.00% |
| 5    | Skarmory           |    3 |  37.50% |  33.33% |
| 5    | Excadrill          |    3 |  37.50% |  33.33% |
| 8    | Landorus-Therian   |    2 |  25.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Latios             |    2 |  25.00% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Reuniclus          |    2 |  25.00% |  50.00% |
| 8    | Jellicent          |    2 |  25.00% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Terrakion          |    1 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Togekiss           |    1 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Chansey            |    1 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Tangrowth          |    1 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Breloom            |    1 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 12   | Heatran            |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Gastrodon          |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Keldeo             |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Seismitoad         |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Volcarona          |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Jirachi            |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 12   | Ditto              |    1 |  12.50% |   0.00% |

!OVERALL USAGE!

BW OU

Code:
| 1    | Tyranitar          |   53 |  61.63% |  52.83% |
| 2    | Latios             |   36 |  41.86% |  58.33% |
| 3    | Ferrothorn         |   35 |  40.70% |  51.43% |
| 4    | Excadrill          |   31 |  36.05% |  51.61% |
| 5    | Gliscor            |   30 |  34.88% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Alakazam           |   24 |  27.91% |  45.83% |
| 7    | Landorus-Therian   |   23 |  26.74% |  52.17% |
| 8    | Politoed           |   18 |  20.93% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Skarmory           |   17 |  19.77% |  52.94% |
| 9    | Rotom-Wash         |   17 |  19.77% |  47.06% |
| 11   | Tentacruel         |   16 |  18.60% |  50.00% |
| 12   | Reuniclus          |   15 |  17.44% |  53.33% |
| 12   | Magnezone          |   15 |  17.44% |  46.67% |
| 12   | Celebi             |   15 |  17.44% |  46.67% |
| 15   | Keldeo             |   14 |  16.28% |  50.00% |
| 16   | Garchomp           |   13 |  15.12% |  53.85% |
| 17   | Gastrodon          |   12 |  13.95% |  41.67% |
| 18   | Thundurus-Therian  |   11 |  12.79% |  45.45% |
| 19   | Breloom            |   10 |  11.63% |  70.00% |
| 19   | Heatran            |   10 |  11.63% |  40.00% |
| 21   | Volcarona          |    8 |   9.30% |  62.50% |
| 21   | Jellicent          |    8 |   9.30% |  37.50% |
| 21   | Scizor             |    8 |   9.30% |  37.50% |
| 24   | Seismitoad         |    7 |   8.14% |  57.14% |
| 24   | Starmie            |    7 |   8.14% |  42.86% |
| 24   | Jirachi            |    7 |   8.14% |  42.86% |
| 27   | Mamoswine          |    6 |   6.98% |  66.67% |
| 27   | Dragonite          |    6 |   6.98% |  50.00% |
| 29   | Terrakion          |    5 |   5.81% |  60.00% |
| 29   | Xatu               |    5 |   5.81% |  40.00% |
| 31   | Slowking           |    3 |   3.49% |  66.67% |
| 31   | Chansey            |    3 |   3.49% |  66.67% |
| 31   | Milotic            |    3 |   3.49% |  33.33% |
| 34   | Cloyster           |    2 |   2.33% | 100.00% |
| 34   | Kyurem-Black       |    2 |   2.33% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Kyurem             |    2 |   2.33% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Mew                |    2 |   2.33% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Ninetales          |    2 |   2.33% |   0.00% |
| 34   | Cresselia          |    2 |   2.33% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Tornadus           |    1 |   1.16% | 100.00% |
| 40   | Abomasnow          |    1 |   1.16% | 100.00% |
| 40   | Gyarados           |    1 |   1.16% | 100.00% |
| 40   | Toxicroak          |    1 |   1.16% | 100.00% |
| 40   | Togekiss           |    1 |   1.16% | 100.00% |
| 40   | Tangrowth          |    1 |   1.16% | 100.00% |
| 40   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Hippowdon          |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Zapdos             |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Latias             |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Victini            |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Blissey            |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |
| 40   | Ditto              |    1 |   1.16% |   0.00% |

Attachments

Last edited:
Was very active in bigs BW channel this SPL, but besides modifying/building/suggesting very ordinary stuff, had some more unique ideas/takes that I thought would be cool to share here:

Week 7 - FMG vs dice - Volcarona + Seismitoad Sand v2

Last year, I made a volcarona sand very similar to this but with Xatu > Lando, but this version was a lot better against offensive grounds. I think the broken moth is underutilized and very good in the current meta. Volcarona was super good vs dice's scout and was especially desirable because it could get flame body procs vs his Scizors. I feel like volc very often doesn't click its 4th move in practice so sets like sub + QD and QD 2 atks roost could see some great mileage. Seismitoad is awesome w/ Volcarona for hard-stopping Rotom, water absorb, and also enabling Excadrill's spin capabilities against helmet Skarm w/ knock. Had some hidden tweaks to help in hippowdon mus specifically for this week but this is one of my fav takes on a more standard-looking volc sand.

Week 9 - Vulpix03 vs Caetano93 - Rainbow

My take on the italian ditto-style HO, which is kind of a combination of the team caetano brought vs gtg and the italian one circulating last year. Volcarona's set can be modified to preference. Hp ground is best if u don't wanna get absolutely bodied by heatran, Psychic/Sub/Roost is better vs everything else. Bug Gem is sick to lay into ttar to set up for a nice reuni endgame. Rocky Helmet + Acid Armor reuni is really well-supported here imo by hazards, spinblock, and ditto to compensate for its do-nothingness. While this team looks like it gets absolutely destroyed by Thundurus, it actually has more counterplay than meets the eye. In the replay, I think this team matched up quite well against Caetano's team esp since the jirachi set would have swept on t15 if it was sent out. It has adequate + nice tools for mus vs modern sands and rain as well, just a bit flashy and out-there compared to other BW teams.

---

I thought BW was sick to watch this SPL, really loved a lot of the teams people used and found it to be probably the most entertaining tier of the tour. Fantastic meta that feels so settled and chaotically balanced yet incredibly unexplored with tons of creative potential to think outside the box and play unorthodox strategies/mons combinations. I especially liked a lot of the new celebi, milotic, and xatu technology. Xatu is one of the most fun pkmn to build with in this tier imo and it was awesome to see it used several times. I even liked the sun stuff people tried and I also think ditto could see more usage in bw, another very unexplored pokemon that could fit on all styles -- sand, rain, sun, weatherless (stall or balance). Looking forward to some more bw in poffs!

Since i'm out of the SPL, I decided to share the teams that I have used this year. I'm also pasting thoses in the BW hub too.

Week 1 vs dice
:tyranitar: :xatu: :seismitoad: :latios: :garchomp: :ferrothorn:

Since i was expecting a sand Zapdos team from dice (he love to use those stuctures vs me...), I decided to do a counter-team that also gives me decent MU versus more standard stuffs. Xatu do this since it completely blocks Spikes and most of the tier SR users. The main important aspects of this team is the offensive Tyranitar to pick surprises KOs, especially versus Breloom and slow Gliscor, and the non-Knock Ferrothorn, since Seismitoad already do it for the team. ChanChomp complement the offensive pressure, picking and demolishing more bulky teams.

Week 2 vs Soulwind
:tyranitar: :latios: :rotom-wash: :ferrothorn: :gliscor: :magnezone:

The controversial Eject Button Ferrohotrn. The idea here is to use it in the early-game to trap an opposing Latios or another Psychic-type with Tyranitar, and this is the reason Tyranitar here have Thunder Wave. Ferrothorn also have Endeavor to keep pressuring its checks, as no Leftovers means it lose HP really fast. Specs Zone isn't my favourite Pokemon but is a must here to OHKO opposing Ferrothorn and not let it up hazards. Gliscor set here is to cover the team weakness to opposing SD Facade Gliscor while improving my DragMag MU.

Week 3 vs Finchinator
:politoed: :ferrothorn: :tentacruel: :kyurem: :latios: :landorus-therian:

Peng already did an awesome analysis of this structure on his youtube channel, I sugesat you to go see it.
Anyway, a old rain build with Kyurem that have not see much usage in this sleepless meta. Everything here is standart so there is not much explanation needed. Landorus-T EVs are to get some surprise KOs versus other Scarf users, that think that can defeat standard ScarfDorus (minimal bulk). Kyurem is the team star, as this moveset is a new theory: while SubRoost is a classic, SubTect have seen a LOT of usage in other Pokemon like Excadrill, Tornadus, and even Thundurus-T, all of them getting similar results. Here I'm going for a PP stall to get advantage for Kyurem teammates. This team is amazing versus any balance that didn't have Milotic.

Week 4 vs Jimmy Turtwig
:latios: :jirachi: :magnezone: :reuniclus: :garchomp: :kyurem-black:

Classic DragMag. Just set up Stealth Rock and spam Dragon-type moves to win. No mistery here. Reuniclus also serves as an speed control and a counter-messure versus opposing HOs.

Week 5 vs GaryTheGengar
:skarmory: :reuniclus: :latios: :jellicent: :tyranitar: :volcarona:

Spinless Volcarona sand!!! This team have an amazing MU versus any structure that didn't have a fast SR user. Lead Skarmory, spam Taunt and hazard, and win the game with the broken moth. Easy right? If this fail you can still pressure the opponent with Scarf Ttar, CM Latios, and TR Reuniclus (and this one kick Celebi ass). Jellicent here is just to spinblock and to give the team answers to Keldeo rain.

Week 6 x Steve Angello
:garchomp: :volcarona: :breloom: :dragonite: :scizor: :starmie:

Smurf. Nothing more to add except that this one have SubsDDnite because this mon is broken.

Week 7 vs elodin
:xatu: :blissey: :dragonite: :cresselia: :excadrill: :ninetales:

Sun still need to find a good structure to work, but I'm happy with this one I used (even if I lose the game). Blissey here is what shines, because it removes one of the biggest stall problem in modern BW, Trick Latios. Ninetales here have HP Ground because I was expecting a Heatran from elodin... It can easily be swapped for Roar, Rest, Sunny Day, or even HP Ice. Excadrill EVs here is to give me ways to play against Banded Kyu-B. Dragonite and Cresselia are the main team wincons. Just play smart and patient that you will find a good setup opportunity. Just click X if facing a SR + Toxic Gliscor... belive me, its impossible to defeat this rare variation with this team import...

Week 8 vs mncmt
:politoed: :starmie: :scizor: :ferrothorn: :latios: :thundurus-therian:

After building a anti-ho team, I'm still salty that I lose to a speed tie + Hydro miss... welp, its Pokemon...
Specs Mie + CM latios + 4 atks Thundy is a nightmare to more offensive teams to deal, and even some bulky teams have no way to reliabily answer this. Scarf Scizor deals with Alakazam and scares away opposing Latios and Reuniclus. This is one of my favourite teams of this tour and I allways like my games when I'm using it. just watch out for Subs Dragonite; this Pokemon is a menance for this team and can do a clean 6x0 if it find a free set up.

Week 9 vs Vulpix03
:tyranitar: :rotom-wash: :breloom: :landorus-therian: :latios: :skarmory:

My turn building with the now popular Colbur Latios. This time I decided to experiment with Band Breloom, with saw a very high usage this SPL, and also put a theorymon in practice, Pursuit Skarmory. Since I'm using Roar with Latios, I can drop Whrilwind from Skarmory to use Pursuit to completely ruin Alakazam (and it also deal decent damage to opposing Latios). Standard Lando-T, Scarf Ttar, and Rotom-W to help Breloom breaking balance cores. Rotom-W + non-Choice Latios also makes a very decent core to check rain.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
The masterplan is that I am going to make a post going over each team and game I played over the course of the season every few days -- this will likely begin soon!!! I will also be making videos for each team/game (one per SPL week), which I will include in the posts. Before I do this (and to begin my flooding of this thread), I wanted to start off by posting some of the more innovative and unorthodox sets I used this season. I feel some of these sets have a lot of potential in the metagame, some even making regular appearances already.

The Rise of the Swine

I used 3/9 Mamoswine this year, including 2/2 on Rain. I have never been one to frequent Mamoswine before now, even finding it challenging to use at all, but I now firmly believe that it is one of the most underrated Pokemon in the tier. Mamoswine's offensive presence is one of the strongest in the tier and it is also a severely underrated revenge killer thanks to STAB Ice Shard.

Before I get into the two unique variants I used, let's do a little experiment to explain why I feel this way. 100 (ok, 96 due to the activity win and dead game) BW teams were used in SPL regular season. How many of these teams had sufficient counterplay to Mamoswine? My guess: a very small handful...and that is if we're being generous. Let's explore why that would be my guess.

53 of these teams were Sand. Sand teams -- while admiteddly hard to generalize on most topics -- are naturally going to struggle to switch into the dual STABs of Mamoswine, even with Pokemon like Rotom-Wash and Skarmory having shaky odds in the long run. Sand teams also tend to only have 2 quicker Pokemon (1 if you look at some of the balances used in the middle weeks by people like SoulWind), which oftentimes are weak to Ice Shard. Defensively, we saw 0 Slowbro, 2 Mew -- one of which even lost to a Mamoswine team, and a few Milotic, which can only stand up against Jolly Mamoswine reliably. These can be seen as potential checks with Stealth Rock and Sand present, but this means that >95% of Sand teams relied upon keeping multiple Pokemon positioned well and pressure up the entire game in order to contain Mamoswine. Needless to say, Mamoswine was going to make good progress against most of these builds when put in the right hands. As a BW player, I find my game to revolve around momentum and positioning frequently given the proactive nature of the metagame, so Mamoswine was an absolute godsend already.

Ok, let's go one step further now and dig into some data with a reasonable enough sample. Rain teams are known for stacking Water types, especially faster (than Mamoswine) ones like Tentacruel, Keldeo, and even the periodic Starmie. Perhaps this will help against Mamoswine, right? Wrong. In fact, this is the furthest from the truth and I feel a lot of people have fell for this misconception over the years, including myself. Let's break down each Rain team's rough match-up vs Mamoswine defensively.

Bolds = Pokemon Ice Shard can often revenge kill from 50%+ -- 31 total Pokemon over 18 teams
Underlines = Pokemon that avoid 2HKO from Mamoswine defensively after SR (assume Ferrothorn takes any chip in early game like it does 95% of the time) -- 1 total Pokemon over 18 teams

Politoed / Kyurem-Black / Ferrothorn / Latios / Tentacruel / Thundurus-Therian
Politoed / Latios / Ferrothorn / Mamoswine / Tentacruel / Tornadus
Politoed / Keldeo-Resolute / Celebi / Tentacruel / Scizor / Thundurus-Therian
Politoed / Tentacruel / Ferrothorn / Garchomp / Keldeo-Resolute / Thundurus-Therian
Politoed / Thundurus-Therian / Keldeo-Resolute / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Latios
Politoed / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Kyurem / Latios / Landorus-Therian
Politoed / Thundurus-Therian / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Mamoswine / Latios
Politoed / Seismitoad / Gyarados / Tentacruel / Scizor / Magnezone
Politoed / Scizor / Tentacruel / Ferrothorn / Thundurus-Therian / Keldeo
Politoed / Toxicroak / Ferrothorn / Latios / Keldeo / Landorus-Therian
Politoed / Landorus-Therian / Jirachi / Kyurem / Tentacruel / Celebi
Politoed / Tentacruel / Jirachi / Breloom / Thundurus-Therian / Latios
Politoed / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Latios / Keldeo / Thundurus-Therian
Politoed / Tentacruel / Ferrothorn / Keldeo-Resolute / Thundurus-Therian / Jirachi
Politoed / Landorus-Therian / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Dragonite / Keldeo-Resolute
Politoed / Starmie / Scizor / Ferrothorn / Latios / Thundurus-Therian
Politoed / Chansey / Tentacruel / Gliscor / Ferrothorn / Keldeo
Politoed / Thundurus-Therian / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel / Keldeo / Mamoswine

The fact of the matter is that Rain cannot switch in to Mamoswine, but it lets it in more often than you imagine. Trick, Volt Switch (especially from Rotom-Wash), U-turn from a number of Pokemon, timely double switches, non-Focus Blast Thundurus-T (which was quite common btw), or coming in after something goes down on your side are all common enough causes for entry that you can expect for Mamoswine to enter safely 1-2 times every game at least when piloted correctly. That alone is not a lot, especially when compared to some other Pokemon like Keldeo or Latios which are similarly offensive, but consider the fact that almost every time Mamoswine comes in, it is threatening to get a kill and can usually use the leverage from the potential Substitute to force a kill rather than outright prediction -- then you have a massive threat.

While the aforementioned Keldeo and Latios are undoubtebly better Pokemon than Mamoswine, teams naturally prepare for them, bringing hard checks or soft counters frequently. Mamoswine does not demand this widespread respect and the tier can barely respect it if people decided it did, too, so it suddenly becomes a consistent offensive force to be reckon with. Couple this with the fact that Ice Shard is as potent as it is against faster threats (and I did not even get into how much better it is vs weatherless offense -- particularly DragMag) and you get a complete offensive Pokemon with breaking and revenge killing prowess, a Volt Switch immunity, and a lot of unexplored territory.

Speaking of unexplored territory, when you do not anticipate a Skarmory or Leftovers BoltBeam Reuniclus, the damage from the standard Never-Melt Ice boost is more of a luxury than a necessity. Even against those Pokemon, you can still put yourself in a fine position to flinch through if you have the right pressure from your supporting cast. Because of this, I ran three different items on Mamoswine over the three weeks I used it and none of them were Never-Melt Ice (or the traditional Life Orb / Choice Band options from before Substiute + 3A was mainstream back in the pre-2018 days). In my opinion, the item slot on Mamoswine can be toyed with on more teams than not and this can greatly improve an already strong Pokemon. Here are two examples from my SPL teams:

Golden (Mamoswine) (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Icicle Crash

Week 1 vs Frania. I expected a DragMag or set-up spam type build. Mamoswine is already a pain as they oftentimes stack Ground and/or Dragon types, making Ice Shard a pain when the main Ice resist is normally a slower, early-game focused Jirachi or the occasional Starmie/Volcarona. Salac Berry meant that when I was able to force a kill with Ice Shard or outrun the Pokemon I was in front of, I could substitute up like normal. However, if this Substitute worked -- forcing a switch or simply being broken by a slower, weakened opponent in range for EQ/Icicle Crash, then Mamoswine could function as a surprise win condition. With just a few rounds of SR on Scarf Latios, Scarf Landorus-Therian, Scarf Garchomp, Technician Breloom, etc., these type of teams suddenly are without a way to actually defeat a well-positioned +1 speed Mamoswine.

I feel that in a lot of games, you are a few rounds of Stealth Rock or one Pokemon removed away from this outright cleaning offense when presented with the free turn. Even if you do not get this turn, Mamoswine still functions just as well. It still has the potent dual STAB and overall offensive presence we alluded to above, so that is a non-issue. Salac Mamoswine is not the set for every build or even every opponent, but it has ridiculously high upside.

Golden (Mamoswine) (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / TBD Atk / 4 SpD / TBD Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Icicle Crash

Week 8 vs Elodin. Chople Berry allows for Mamoswine to have a ton of surprise leverage in 1v1s against: Focus Blast Thundurus-Therian, non-Grass Knot Alakazam, SD Terrakion, Breloom, non-Choice Specs Tornadus, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Focus Blast Reuniclus, Toxicroak, and Weavile. In particular, this Rain team I used it on was weak to all of these Pokemon in certain capacities, so it was the ultimate glue option that granted timely surprise value and practical 1v1s.

As an extension of this, I firmly believe that Rain teams need to have a plan against Thundurus-T with Focus Blast if they lack Latios. Common teams like Scarf Scizor Rain structures basically lose a Pokemon every single time an accurate 3A Thundurus-T comes in, which should be often enough given that Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Tentacruel fail to 2HKO it, anywhere from 2-4 Pokemon get outsped, only 1 Pokemon OHKOs it, and everything is 2HKOd (4 of them being OHKOd). I do not see sufficient counterplay to Thundurus-T on these and I have spammed Latios on Rain teams for years due to this. In more recent times, I have flirted with Yache Garchomp on Rain, too, but the lack of Water resist and the vulnerability to Spikes makes it only viable on a ver limited number of Rain structures. Moreover, Chople Mamoswine shares those qualities, but gives you another revenge killing option and NOBODY is anticipating Chople Berry, which gives you a huge upper hand in the aforementioned match-ups if you pilot it correctly. Chople Mamoswine is great on the right team and should be used much more. Finally, not going to reveal my specific spread as it would disclose speed numbers and that is no fun.

This ends my novel on the fifth generation's favorite pig. I hope you enjoyed!

Nuclear Evolution: Latios in Modern BW OU

While Garchomp is the Pokemon in my custom avatar, many see just as much Latios on my side when I play BW games.

Last season, I (infamously? some people seemed pretty upset lmao) used 10/10 Latios and firmly declared that dropping Latios was foolish on most structures. It provided enough utility offensively and defensively to almost always carry its own weight. In that metagame state, I believe that assessment was true and I think my results throughout SPL, Classic, and the BW Circuit proved this to be correct. As last year drew on, some even asked for a Latios suspect in BW -- not the place for this and I do not necessarily support that, but point was: Latios saw a ton of usage and was ridiculously good.

What if I told you that Latios got even better this SPL? Because I believe it did. The metagame shifted drastically and I do believe there is less reason to use it as frequently right now due to the revival of Scarf Tyranitar, Scizor, and Protect spam, but despite this Latios managed to adapt in a sense that made it more threatening and versatile than ever before. Latios can still drop nukes better than anything else in the metagame, but suddenly there is also a variant of it that serves greater utility and can circumvent common counterplay.

It all started during week 1 when SoulWind used Colbur Latios. I do not know what the fourth move is (assuming Draco Meteor / Surf / Roost / x) and I do not know if we will ever know as SoulWind is understandably private with his teams / metagame views usually. However, you have to give credit where it is due and SoulWind was the first person to use the item, which opened the flood gates for what was to come.

During week 2, I was pretty paranoid about Pursuit + Thundurus-T on Rain, Pursuit + Breloom, Gliscor, Terrakion, Keldeo, etc. on Sand, and my Magma Storm + Protect Heatran match-up among other things. In addition, I did not anticipate facing a team that I would need Trick for due to a strong Reuniclus match-up and my opponent never using Rain/Sun stall. After a while of toying around with the 6 Pokemon I quite liked for the week against just about everything else, I realized there was a perfect solution.

Fine Line (Latios) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Roar

Week 2 vs Insult. Colbur Berry Latios with Roar in the last slot was the solution. Why? Latios is able to bluff being choiced in most games, especially back when Colbur Berry was not actually used at all, which was the case during week 2 of SPL. As you guys see in the game, I was able to leverage my position to picking off the weakened Gastrodon with Draco Meteor. In most games, Latios is able to force a kill on a weakened Pokemon in the mid-game -- oftentimes Ferrothorn after Spikes trades and a few switch-ins. From there, the opponent is able to trap you with Tyranitar after they take entry hazards, which they could not do initially due to Choice Specs Latios muscling past most Tyranitar in 2H after SR + Spikes damage. However, if you have Colbur Berry + Roar, then you cannot be trapped. They naturally click Pursuit, topping out at around 30% damage, and get phased out. This means Latios is free to switch out, removing its -2 from the potential prior Draco Meteor and outlasting the Tyranitar, which has to take another round of hazards in most cases. In this game, this allowed for me to break the sash of an Alakazam after removing both Gastrodon and Tyranitar. Needless to say: this was insanely clutch and without any one of these huge pieces of progress, I would not have won this closely contested game.

Since this game, Roar Latios Colbur Berry Latios has become mainstream. It is one of the main sets on the new analysis for BW Latios, it has opened up a lot of new Sand structures with the Tyranitar interaction being less linear and limiting, and it has set off a slow-moving chain reaction of other trends as well. Finally, it is also worth noting that this helps combat Protect spam -- be it teams with Gliscor/Excadrill/Heatran that spam Protect to scout choiced Latios or Rain teams with Politoed/Tentacruel/potentially Jirachi to scout out attacks or Trick. You lose the option to trick, but you gain some breaking prowess when you are able to swap up moves. This is especially the case with the next set, that can punish Steel types like Ferrothorn.

Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Week 4 vs SoulWind and Week 6 vs Jimmy Turtwig. While Roar was a great way to circumvent Tyranitar, there are certain games where your team is ok with that trade and you want to focus on other things. One important aspect of every BW game is field control; carrying Hidden Power Fire on Latios allows for a surprising blow to Ferrothorn, notching a 2HKO, and a strong chunk on Skarmory, forcing Roost at worst while threatening to knock it out at best. Deterring Spikes or removing the defensive presences in return for their Spike in your face can go a long way for specific Sand teams, especially when paired with Spikers of your own and complimentary Pokemon. Alakazam also appreciates Steel types being chipped and removed whereas Tyranitar appreciates the Spikes being minimized.

Obviously I got very fortunate at the start of my game against SoulWind with a critical hit on Ferrothorn, but I still believe it is an effective set regardless of the critical hit and we have seen quite a few people use that specific triple Psychic 6 -- including SoulWind himself -- with the 3A Latios. Seeing as Ferrothorn is on almost every other team, it should not be shocking that covering it is an option worth considering here, but it is oftentimes hard to do beyond Trick on normal Latios. This gives a way of direct damage, which always 2HKOs outside of Rain, that you cannot attain otherwise with Latios. However, sometimes you do not need to outlast Tyranitar or even lure Steels, but rather you want to cripple them for the sake of a teammate functioning as an even scarier win condition when that condition is met.

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Unfortunately, I never got to play GaryTheGengar week 9, but my plan was to use a team with Thunder Wave Colbur Latios + Calm Mind Reuniclus. This core did very well against some Sand teams he brought and I firmly believe that Thunder Wave has a niche on Latios in current BW. It is likely less applicable than the two above variants, but the right team loves seeing Tyranitar, Jirachi, Tentacruel, etc. paralyzed.

In conclusion, Latios still has potent sets like the Choice Specs and even Dragon Gem variants. However, Colbur Berry adds a great deal to its arsenal and enables so many different teambuilding options. Choice Scarf Latios took a hit in overall usage perhaps, but even that is still worth using at times. Overall, Latios is a versatile Pokemon with the ability to break, provide utility, and it can come alongside surprise factor in the right setting. Latios is the true king of BW OU no matter how you look at it.

Other Sets

Sign of the Times (Magnezone) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe -- tinker accordingly to get proper Substitute/Salac number for hitting berry range at 25% instead of low
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Flash Cannon / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Week 3 vs Caetano93. Luigi used this against SoulWind in Smogon Tour finals first and came up with the set, but I was the one who built with it back then and I wanted to hold onto it for whenever I next used Magnezone with Rapid Spin support. While this Magnezone does not provide the immediate trapping potential that normal variants assure, perhaps even letting up a full field of Spikes in some Ferrothorn match-ups, it trades this for being able to turn Ferrothorn's mere entry into a path to multiple kills -- if not an outright sweep against slower teams. In this game against Caetano, it did exactly what it needed to. Ferrothorn's entry led to Caetano getting hazards, but they were spinnable by Excadrill and Magnezone took advantage of the position by claiming a couple of vital KOs.

Flash Cannon is cool for cashing in against Ground types and Latios, but you can run Thunderbolt if you want to assure the OHKO against Skarmory with Sturdy broken or hit bulky Waters at +0 harder. Skarmory is still almost always 2HKOd and tends to go for Spikes as it stays in, so you do not need to worry too much about it regardless in my personal opinion, which is why I dropped Thunderbolt myself, but to each their own. The point is that this Magnezone is very cool on teams with hazard removal and it should see more usage due to its ability to flip games from potential losses to wins by getting the extra kill(s) after the trap.

Canyon Moon (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 116 Def / 132 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: TBD Spe (less than 31)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Protect
- U-turn

Week 4 vs SoulWind and Week 6 vs Jimmy Turtwig. Slow U-turn Gliscor, which is an idea Posho and I came up with early in the season, has grown a ton in popularity since I brought it out. The idea is that you can use Gliscor as a pivot like SR Landorus-T while retaining the ability to scout with Protect, soak up status, and be stingy on both sides defensively.

Slow U-turn is especially helpful against opposing Gliscor as you can easily pivot out of it and bring in your faster Pokemon that threatens to kill it such as Latios, Alakazam, or Balloon Heatran without risking their condition or a double switch to Pursuit Tyranitar. In general, I quite like pairing this set with the Psychic types, who compliment it very well, and generic consistent offensive breakers like Terrakion or Technician Breloom. The idea of running slow U-turn on Gliscor opening up games flows super nicely on some teams, but Knock Off, Toxic, and Ice Fang still have a niche. On the teams I used against SoulWind and Jimmy Turtwig, they both greatly appreciated the momentum and had things like Ferrothorn, Jellicent, and Tyranitar to help spread passive damage, displace items, and so on. The attack allows for specific Pursuit + Sand sequences with my custom Tyranitar to get KOs, but you do not have to use it and probably should not unless you are ripping exactly from my import as it will not add up the same with different spreads.

I feel this set has a ton of potential to stick as a semi-common variant of Gliscor, which perhaps is unsurprising given how many different Gliscor sets are viable right now. Slow U-turn is super clutch at the right times and there are minimal drawbacks, so I advise trying it out if it fits your team.

Lights Up (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: TBD HP / TBD Def / 176 SpA / TBD SpD / TBD Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Week 4 vs SoulWind. This one is nothing too crazy. I wanted to be extra safe against opposing Gliscor and help open the door for Alakazam in the later game, so I ran a more offensive 3A + Recover Reuniclus. This meant I was never going to have to worry about Gliscor and Breloom, it was very possible to force damage on to Tyranitar for other Psychic types later in the game, and seemingly safe swaps to Encore Politoed to reset weather and stop CM sweeping got punished with a crippling, Life Orb boosted blow.

All in all, 3A + Recover LO offensive Reuniclus has seen sporadic usage in the past with Shadow Ball in that slot, but I think Hidden Power Ice is very important on teams lacking Skarmory + revenge killer. This set will probably not see a ton of mainstream usage aside from the one team with it already, but there is reason to explore with it when you do not need the extra dedicated win condition. Of course, Calm Mind Reuniclus is still phenomenal and you should not underrated it.

To Be So Lonely (Tyranitar) (M) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: TBD HP / TBD Atk / TBD Def / TBD SpD / TBD Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Pursuit

Week 6 vs Jimmy Turtwig. One of my many anti-cheese add-ons. Jimmy had used some off-beat strategies such as Hail, so I wanted to be safe against Substitute sweepers like Dragonite and Latias while also covering Baton Pass. Thunder Wave is a very good fourth move that we see more and more of lately, Ice Beam provides important coverage on specific builds, and I love dual Stealth Rock teams as much as the next guy, but sometimes the safety net is worthwhile and can save an entire game for you when you are in a tight spot otherwise.

This one is nothing too crazy, but I do believe we should see more steady usage of Roar in BW -- perhaps this and the Latios set gave that away to you already though. For what it's worth, Dragon Tail is ok I guess, but Roar is better due to it bypassing Substitute and I will always use it in favor of Dragon Tail despite the damage output.

Medicine (Terrakion) @ Rock Gem
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack

Week 7 vs jacob. Nothing too crazy, but Quick Attack over Substitute or Protect ensures that you break Alakazam's sash, setting up for an easier trap with Tyranitar or less reliance on conventional Choice Scarf users in general for revenge killing purposes, which is much appreciated on a lot of bulky offensive Sand teams right now.

This can also come in clutch after Sand and hazards vs specific weakened offensive presences, especially if you have an SD under your belt. A timely Quick Attack against a weakened Latios can turn the entire game in your favor occasionally. In general, Terrakion lacks hard defensive answers, so people rely on pressuring it and revenge killing it. This makes revenge killing it less reliable, so it is effective.

-Therian
FtDT (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 144 Def / 140 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Week 8 vs Elodin. I did not get to reveal this in the game due to not wanting to give a Baton Pass team a free turn ever, but between tests and a slew of smaller tournament games in recent months, Protect Thundurus-T is super clutch. Initially, I used Protect + 3A to scout Latios early on when using Rain. However, Substitute + Protect with Toxic Spikes is diabolical. So long as you can burn and/or Knock Off Ferrothorn early on, this set is almost foolproof with the aforementioned support. Protect makes choiced attackers like Latios, Keldeo, and the occasional Landorus-T much less effective in revenge killing or breaking you, Protect gives Thundurus-T so much longevity while opponents are progressively taking more damage from residuals and the strong special attacks. This adds up to absolute mayhem for the opponent -- you absolutely have to try this set out if you can fit the right conditions on your team. If not this set, then at least try Protect + 3A as it is also superb. I will admit that the increase in non-Choiced Latios is a slight hinderance, but if you can force Latios to Trick itself Black Sludge or eat status, then it is entirely moot. I won a lot of games outright by forcing an errant double switch when they thought I would pivot out Thundurus-T, forcing extra hazards or another free Substitute sequence on the switch back honestly. I feel that until people respect sets like these, they will be very good. Even come then, the concept is stll sound, but we will have to see how it ages in the metagame before drawing many more conclusions.

Lights Up (Starmie) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Semi-finals vs Elodin. This set is exclusively for weatherless offense and honestly might as well just be for Smurf, but it is absolutely the best Starmie on this team. Expert Belt only impacts a few calcs beyond circumstantial stuff you do not plan for unless you are incredibly big brained, which I sadly am not. Life Orb dies too quickly for a Pokemon that desperately needs to get a spin off in certain match-ups. Leftovers is very viable and an alternative if you are not woke enough for sure, but Air Balloon is the play.

Air Balloon Starmie may seem silly on the surface, but it has saved so many games. Being able to turn Dragonite being out vs Mamoswine or Scizor being out vs Excadrill in to a safe switch to your faster, offensive Rapid Spinner with a HO team in a game that is going to be defined by aggression and proactivity is huge. These games last 20-25 turns tops typically, barring lengthy Protect spam sequences by the opponent, so a free mid-late game spin with Dragonite and Volcarona being on board can be a life saver. In addition to this added leverage that nobody would expect to scout for in their first match against the team, you also improve the Toxic Spikes match-up by outright ignoring them the first time you swap in.

Obviously this should not be the mainstream Starmie on many teams, but it is the most reliable way to use it on Smurf HO.

Fine Line (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Pursuit

I always disliked how Choice Band Scizor flowed with Smurf. If you had to click non-Uturn moves, then it felt like you had to fodder a Pokemon right afterwards. If you had to spam Uturn, then your trajectory was predictable and your damage output was minimized. Swords Dance Scizor, on the contrary, provides great cleaning potential and has the ability to go for timely priority while not locking into it to sap momentum. However, Choice Scarf Latios and Focus Sash Alakazam are monstrous threats to set-up spam, weatherless offense that lacks Tyranitar.

This Scizor -- Swords Dance + Pursuit -- gives the best of both worlds. After Latios or Alakazam pick off one thing, they get Pursuit trapped and cannot do so again. However, you do not lose momentum then or ever really as you can force the threat of Swords Dance. This does not even mention the surpirse factor as LO does ot exactly scream Pursuit and Pursuit does not exactly scream Swords Dance, leaving many opponents to go for some sloppy guesswork against this Scizor, ultimately growing to regret it after Scizor punishes them.

I will touch on this more later, but BW will see an uptick in Hyper Offensive teams -- it already has over the last few weeks. The jury is still out as to if it will be as massive a change as ORAS, which I personally do not think it will be. However, we need to start respecting these builds and also we need to start tinkering with them ourselves. There is so much room for creativity and integrating novel strategies such as the Starmie and Scizor sets -- try it all out yourself for sure!

---

These are all I have for now. I will be back in the coming days with videos and posts going over my teams and games. I am very excited for this, so stay tuned in this thread/on YouTube depending on which you prefer. Finally, I hope it is now abundantly clear that I am not an old man who sits there using the same boring, unadventurous teams with no creativity. I firmly believe I have been one of the main people helping develop the BW metagame in recent years and I hope to continue to help push the tier forward with my ideas. Each team I craft is based off of a certain strategy and I rarely default to standards automatically. Sometimes standards are the most reliable -- hence why they are the standard to begin with, but there is and will continue to be lots of room for adaptability in the BW metagame. I hope this post highlighted some examples from my season. I am looking forward to going over the games 1 by 1 now! Until then :blobwizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)